Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Mod Adaptation! My First Impressions!

withinmyself

When maxed out Adaptation grants 10% resistance to whatever damage type you just got hit with for 20 seconds.  And it stacks up to 90%.  I don't even have this thing maxed out yet and it is amazing.  It might be too good really. 

I was standing in front of an Elite Lancer getting shot at.  I started taking slash status damage.  Every time I got hit my resistance would go up which you can see on screen.  It didn't take long to get to 90% at which point I pretty much stopped taking damage all together.

Another instance I was caught in a cloud of toxin while the ground was on fire.  My resistance to both jacked up to 90% and my Proc timer ran out on both Toxin and Fire. I stopped taking damage completely and wasn't taking on any new Procs at all.  My shield even started regenerating.

I can see this as a great Mod for leveling up new frames.  Which is exactly what I was doing with Nova.  I'd almost go as far as to say this could replace either your Maxed Shield Mod or your Maxed Health Mod.  It's the same polarity and takes up 12 when Maxed at rank 10.  But like I said mines not even Maxed.  I got it at rank 5. 

The best part is it will do multiple status types at the same time.  I'm pretty sure I saw it get to at least 3 but I can't remember for sure.  As you can see below there are two status resistances in place.  And from what I could tell there's no cool down or limit or anything so as soon as that timer runs out and you're taking the any sort of damage type it'll start climbing right back up.  This pretty much makes Mods like Antitoxin and Lightning Rod obsolete.

v6Ma3tC.png

Edited by withinmyself
Add a sentence.

Weird thing is that some enemies seem to do corrosive damage like heavy gunners, not sure why this is the case.

Also I managed to do this in the Simulacrum, pretty sure this mod will only be good for making tank frames tankier as it requires you to not just get hit, but constantly get hit from multiple sources just to get DR to everything they might hit you with.

5kETEie.png

Edited by Madway7

Overall, yeah. will make you better at surviving sustained gunfire... if you can survive a couple of shots in the first place.

It seems to work less effective against grineer gunfire. From what i understand, you get resistance to dominant damage type of attack (without resist to others), which means damage reduction will work much worse against physical damage distributed evenly between slash/puncture/impact. Corpus is more affected by this mod, because their weapons is usually focused on one damage type, or at least more so than grineer guns, that tend to not always have all damage types dumped in favor of one. Not sure about infested phys. damage distribution. Also, not sure how this will work on missions with elemental enemy modifier.
Could be obvious, but i will point that out anyway, i think people should keep that in mind.

I Upgraded and spent a little more time with it.  Did an hour survival on Ceres. I came in with an unranked Nekros with a reactor that had my Health Mod my Shield Mod and Adaptation.  (And I took my Dread because I didn't know this one would be an hour.  I thought hey I haven't used  my Dread in awhile.  Back on the shelf it goes)  Anyway I never once had to leave any area that was effected by toxin/fire/corrosion.  I revived the others 5 times right in the thick of it.  And you can see on the final results screen I only took 9% of total damage. 

v3SZw8Q.png

X8N3fDZ.png

WajxP6O.png

4 minutes ago, dEjAvU5566 said:

The most serious problem of the mod is..... it require a mod slot.

That's exactly why I thought it might even be able take place of shields or health depending on the frame. 

Edited by withinmyself
Add context

So I tried a little experiment.

https://imgur.com/irjJl1O

That is Mag on fire taking impact damage as well.  Every time I get hit the counter resets.  I stayed in that spot for over a minute getting shot at and didn't take any damage towards shields or health.  The resistance counter for heat never ticked down passed 17 seconds because it didn't have time too before I got hit again with fire damage.

Granted Mag is one my best built frames but she shouldn't be invincible with any Mod.   So, I'm thinking there's something up with this Mod.  Unless it doesn't scale very well at higher levels.  This was a Syndicate Defense Mission at Aten in The Void.  Not anywhere near sortie levels but still fairly tough.

Guess it's time to take this test to a sortie.

Edited by withinmyself
change url

8 minutes ago, _Urakaze_ said:

no nerf plz de

or at least 75%

Weapons has 3 dmg types or more, this mod isn't like Gara's 2, changing to 75 % make non sense. 

On heavy gunner for example, she use a gorgon (75% impact) and has corrosive dmg too, you will reduce 25~30% of dmg only.  (I maded test on simulacrum)

Edited by Peter

Give up one mod slot and you can be rhino too? 

There must be something wrong because Nezha is 90% and he does eat damage even from level 40 void enemies. Always picking up health blobs which give me more armor, so my hp definitely goes down. 

7 hours ago, _Urakaze_ said:

so for example nidus with parasitic link(90%DR) and this mod= 100x EHP at maximum?

*mind blown*

I will get flak for this but this mod should compensate for frames that can not reach that 90% damage reduction like Nidus, Mrsa, Nezha, Nekros with augment etc. 

It shouldnt stack with those abilities, all those frames are already top of the tanking list so with that on top you increase the gap even further.

Im interested to know how it reacts with Shields however, Aegis Frost/Nova with shield regen mods could be cool with 90% redux.

6 minutes ago, DeaHamlet said:

Give up one mod slot and you can be rhino too? 

There must be something wrong because Nezha is 90% and he does eat damage even from level 40 void enemies. Always picking up health blobs which give me more armor, so my hp definitely goes down. 

That's what I'm trying to say, this reduction is not flat, weapons have more than one element.

But it still a usable mod.

Edited by Peter

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Effrimal_ said:

So what you're saying is.... my Valkyr, with 2700+ armor (Umbral mod set and Armored Agility) and an open mod slot, should find this mod amusing to toy around with?

Well yes, if you have steel fiber too, it really makes a difference.

I used this on Oberon with steel fiber. I suggest using it with Steel Fiber actually, and a level 55 corrupted heavy gunner was not able to move my Hp below 900 on oberon

Edited by Absens

Try taking on higher level enemies. The scaling is less drastic there. Still incredibly useful, but not broken. My Chroma can survive a couple seconds of sustained fire from a lvl100 Corrupted Heavy Gunner normally, without buffs active. Having Adaptation lets him survive a few seconds longer unbuffed, and with all buffs active the damage drops low enough for my Sentinel to just barely out-heal it. On a squishier Frame, this survivability boost would be far smaller. Suffice to say that while it's quite useful, it does have its limits, so I think it's in a good place right now.

Edit: Also worth pointing out, it seems to use the Corrosive icon for any damage type it doesn't recognize, and can even resist "hidden" damage types like special status conditions (Teralyst magnetic roar, for example).

Edited by EmissaryOfInfinity