Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenora or soma prime?

iman00700

Tenora is technically better due to the better base damage (slightly beats the Soma Prime's better crit damage). But the Soma also has a slightly better dps due to it's higher fire rate.

Ultimately the only "real" difference is the Tenora's alt fire.

However if you consider Riven mods then it's the Tenora hands down due to having a much higher Riven disposition.

Tenora wins in just about every situation because it brings a lot more Status to the table - while still also having good Crits(also higher average Damage per Shot because of it).
plus having a powershot that's perfect for taking out Heavies.
Autofire may also have higher Accuracy once fully spooled.

Tenora is basically just a direct upgrade from Soma once the Magazine was dramatically increased. that was the one weakness that kept Soma having a place, that it had better sustained Damage.
but now Tenora is just an upgrade.

Edited by taiiat

I would say the Tenora, even tho they feel similar due to their crit stats and their spool up time, the Tenora has a high damage/precise secondary fire mode. So in a situation where you need to take an enemy with one shot, Tenora has you covered, the Soma doesn't.

(also it has a less slower reload time and if you get a riven for both weapons, you should always get better numbers with the Tenora since the disposition is higher).

2 hours ago, taiiat said:

Tenora wins in just about every situation because it brings a lot more Status to the table - while still also having good Crits(also higher average Damage per Shot because of it).
plus having a powershot that's perfect for taking out Heavies.

Tenora is basically just a direct upgrade from Soma once the Magazine was dramatically increased. that was the one weakness that kept Soma having a place, that it had better sustained Damage.
but now Tenora is just an upgrade.

actually, soma procs status on par with the tenora too, because of superior fire rate it has. the weapons are fairly on par. on paper dps, yes tenora is slightly superior. but soma has the advantage of being a much better slash proccing weapon with better chances to proc hunter munitions(better crit chance, better firerate) and has similar base status proccing reliability but has much better IPS for proccing slash. 

Edited by Zeclem

They are pretty even unless you happen to have a riven for tenora at which point it will pull ahead drastically. As mentioned already, Soma Prime is great for slash stacking thanks to high crit and firerate, but once you get into riven territory Tenora will be better at slash stacking aswell thanks to the massive difference between dispo 1 (Soma) and dispo 3 (Tenora). Even with a higher firerate on Soma P the Tenora will stack it better because each instance of slash will just be that much higher thanks to far higher stats on the riven that benefits slash.

So in the end. If you dont have rivens, use either of them two. If you have rivens, use Tenora.

7 hours ago, iman00700 said:

Which one is better?(soma prime looks cooler but expensive and tenora well i only need to buy bp from one of the labs in dojo)

Half a dozen of one, six of another. They're similar guns. 

Tenora is probably better overall statistically. The SomaP handles better and is easier to use well. 

What you're really after is the inevitable Tenora Prime. That will be something worth pursuing when it eventually appears. 

Tenora, definitely. Beyond just cheap-and-potent rivens (bought mine last week for like 90p), it has better damage (24x2 > 12x3; both need two mods to hit 100% crit), better accuracy, significantly better status (good for Coro), and has an off-sniper altfire that deals 10x damage with enhanced crit and free punch-through.

The slash-favoring @Zeclem mentions doesn't play as big of a role as you might think. Hunter Munitions dominates the bleed chance equation for both of them.

... And tbh, while I do have a -pun tenora riven (which is helping), I actually get better TTKs vs lv135 CHB/CB with a coro-hunter set than a viral-hunter set.

7 hours ago, taiiat said:

"May". Thing turns into basically a beam weapon when fully spooled if you have any +rof. I forget the exact distance I was at for testing it long-range, but I do remember that >95% of shots would have hit a stationary Razorwing at some distance in the 100-150m bracket.

23 minutes ago, mikakor said:

And in term of gun and gameplay?

Prior to the 2018 Weapons Update, I'd say slash meta, for which it originally could not compete at all, and didn't get revived by Hunter Munitions like SomaP did. I don't remember enough about its old stat line to say more.

Post the 2018 Weapons Update, I'd say lack of hybrid support. Very status heavy, yet no slash damage (no natural slash procs) and garbo crit (12% x2).

Still has a 2* dispo so you can't save it with a riven, either.

Post the weapons update, I'd step down the MR by one for the Telos Boltor, which is the crit-based variant of the line and gets a free gas AoE that also heals. Slap a Hunter Munitions onto it and you're good to go, will even be comfortable up to Sortie level in a coro set.

Alternatively going up one MR gets you access to the Tiberon Prime. Which is (arguably) the best general purpose weapon in the game right now.

Edited by Eirshy

5 minutes ago, Eirshy said:

Alternatively going up one MR gets you access to the Tiberon Prime. Which is (arguably) the best general purpose weapon in the game right now.

And which one could be the better between Tiberon P and Ignis Wraith? 

30 minutes ago, mikakor said:

And in term of gun and gameplay?

Telos Boltor likely replaced it. It is just a far superior version since it has decent status chance with high crit, so can be turned into a good crit weapon utilizing corrosive. And after Hunter Munitions got introduced it got even better compared to Boltor Prime since it can reliably apply slash damage aswell.

The prime version is kinda crap because it has very low crit and is a status weapon without innate slash. Low crit+no slash = pointless status weapon really. You can apply corrosive but you have no crit to boost the damage further and the weapon doesnt shoot that hard to begin with aswell as it relies on travel time on the shots.

15 minutes ago, mikakor said:

And which one could be the better between Tiberon P and Ignis Wraith? 

Apples and Oranges. TibP's a heavy hybrid rifle with a status-favored FA, a split 3BF, and a crit-favored SA, with stats that waltz through a Sortie 3 like a riven'd rifle without one, yet has a 5* dispo because the regular Tib was was all the downsides of 3BF-only without the stats or looks to justify. IgnW's a flamethrower that only really gets silly in the hands of a Mirage that brought an Adarza.

I will say that I'll typically only bring my IgnW with Mirage and Adarza if I'm taking it into Sortie 2/3, yet I'd happily take my TibP into any Sortie even without my riven for it.

Was gonna make a "slaps your girlfriend's ass" joke for TibP's performance...
But wasn't sure where to take it for w/ riven without going NTR.

Edited by Eirshy

10 hours ago, Zeclem said:

actually, soma procs status on par with the tenora too, because of superior fire rate it has.

accounting for Fire Rate, Soma Prime has an effective Status Chance of 12.8534% vs Tenora at 16%.
nope.
but then, we should account for Accuracy too, right? of which Tenora is generally higher.

7 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

As mentioned already, Soma Prime is great for slash stacking thanks to high crit and firerate

it really isn't - Somas' Base Damage is too low for Slash Status of any kind to really be effective. putting Hunter Munitions on a Soma only marginally increases the DPS because Soma has high Crits and Fire Rate, but apalling Base Damage. (let alone native Slash Status, non Critting Slash Status is completely useless on Soma)

Hunter Munitions relies on a 3 legged chair - Fire Rate, Base Damage, Crits. in order for one leg to be totally forgotten, the other two legs have to be cranked to 11. Soma would need to have a Fire Rate in the area of Grakata and ~50% stronger Crits for Crit Slash to be relevant on Soma.

and therefore Tenora wins out for Hunter Munitions, because the Base Damage isn't as terrible while still having good Crits and Fire Rate.

4 hours ago, Eirshy said:

... And tbh, while I do have a -pun tenora riven (which is helping), I actually get better TTKs vs lv135 CHB/CB with a coro-hunter set than a viral-hunter set.

"May". Thing turns into basically a beam weapon when fully spooled if you have any +rof. I forget the exact distance I was at for testing it long-range, but I do remember that >95% of shots would have hit a stationary Razorwing at some distance in the 100-150m bracket.

Post the 2018 Weapons Update, I'd say lack of hybrid support. Very status heavy, yet no slash damage (no natural slash procs) and garbo crit (12% x2).
Post the weapons update, I'd step down the MR by one for the Telos Boltor, which is the crit-based variant of the line and gets a free gas AoE that also heals.

makes sense, while Tenora easily beats Soma for Hunter Munitions, both are still kinda weak in terms of strength of applying Slash Status. so focusing on frontloaded Damage rather than backloaded Damage would Kill a lot faster.

i said may because the last time i tested was not long after Tenoras' Release, i.e. quite a long time and i couldn't remember how much higher the Accuracy is :)

i wouldn'lt put it as garbo, Boltor Prime beats Soma and Tenora for average Damage per Shot with Crits included (and so it'll perform much better than those two with Hunter Munitions because of the even better Base Damage). Telos Boltor is the direct upgrade now ofcourse, yes.

19 minutes ago, taiiat said:

it really isn't - Somas' Base Damage is too low for Slash Status of any kind to really be effective. putting Hunter Munitions on a Soma only marginally increases the DPS because Soma has high Crits and Fire Rate, but apalling Base Damage. (let alone native Slash Status, non Critting Slash Status is completely useless on Soma).

Actually it is. Even though the base damage is low it still stacks multiple slash instances like every other high RoF weapon with slash capabilities. So it quickly adds up as you fire, more so if you run viral as your element instead of corrosive.

And as I said this only applies when you compare the two without rivens. Once both have rivens Tenora will be far ahead, without them it is more even since Soma has a far easier time to get high crit damage and crit chance with regular mods thanks to its high base crit damage.

@taiiat

On slash procs, yeah that was my feeling as well. About the only reason I still stuck with slotting HM was because the TTK on the upper levels is somewhat bad in general, so the spooled DoT DPS actually gets to add up quite a bit. It's also rather gnarly when it procs on the alt-fire.

And on Boltor Prime beating Soma/Tenora for avg damage after crit.... Sure, but it wouldn't beat them on HM specifically. You have to factor in the proc chance itself- with HM+PS you're looking at:

BoltorP has a 92 Effective Crit-Base Damage @ 9% proc for 8.28 Normalized Forced Slash
Same numbers, Tenora's at 48 ECBD @ 21% proc for 10.08 NFS. Bit under 10% higher.

4 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Actually it is. Even though the base damage is low it still stacks multiple slash instances like every other high RoF weapon with slash capabilities. So it quickly adds up as you fire, more so if you run viral as your element instead of corrosive.

The only reason this works is because its TTK is bad in the first place. HM's effect only helps on high-ROF weapons if you need to spend a long time on a single target already.

Get experimental and you'll see you need some crazy high levels before a coro-proc-based build doesn't perform better than that viral one (vs armor, obviously).

Edited by Eirshy

2 hours ago, Eirshy said:

It's also rather gnarly when it procs on the alt-fire.

And on Boltor Prime beating Soma/Tenora for avg damage after crit.... Sure, but it wouldn't beat them on HM specifically. You have to factor in the proc chance itself- with HM+PS you're looking at:

BoltorP has a 92 Effective Crit-Base Damage @ 9% proc for 8.28 Normalized Forced Slash
Same numbers, Tenora's at 48 ECBD @ 21% proc for 10.08 NFS. Bit under 10% higher.

indeed! the power Shot performs much like Sniper Rifles in terms of Hunter memes.

hm that is true, though larger Slash Ticks do tend to make a more significant impact than several tiny ones. perhaps what's truly remarkable and should wake up people that insist that Guns with no Base Damage are great with Hunter Munitions, is other Guns with just mediocre and even inconsistent Crit Stats can compete in the same goal.
we can only hope, right?