Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Desert Wind seems somewhat underpowered at higher levels.

DeMonkey

This could of course be completely intentional, but if so it begs the question why? Something to note of course is that this is early feedback, and there may be something I'm missing.

To elaborate on this, there are a few things that allow a melee weapon to deal damage at higher levels.

1. Status stacking and Condition Overload.
  2. Modding for Crit utilising the combo multiplier.
  3. Finisher attacks.

Desert Wind doesn't seem to viably have access to any of those.

It has a mere 10% status chance, and whilst there appears to be Impact procs within the stance, it's not going to lead to effective use of Condition Overload to the extent required for higher level melee.

It's very similar to Exalted Blade in that it has two separate attacks. A punch/kick, and a much larger wave that flows out from it. The wave doesn't add to or appear to benefit from the combo counter (at the very least it doesn't inherit the increased crit chance from Gladiator mods, even after punching my way to a 2x combo) whilst the short range punch does.

I have been unable to pull off a single finisher attack, neither through making enemies sleep nor by attacking ground targets.

What we're left with is a weapon that is very viable at lower levels, capable of going through walls and blasting and staggering enemies in a cone up to 20 metres away, but of almost no use at all once you reach higher levels, and I'm not even talking about the super crazy high levels, I was struggling with level 100 Gunners whilst using both Corrosive Projection and the Corrosive element, just to null as much armour as possible. This is merely Sortie tier. Whilst it's certainly cool to punch a wave that staggers a fair chunk of a small group... It's decidedly better to just shoot them or use a better melee weapon.

As it stands, Desert Wind is possibly the worst of the Unique/Exalted weapons.

I propose something similar to what I've always wanted for Wukong, that the weapon maintains it's high reach, but deals lower damage the further away enemies are. As a buff to counter this, I propose that the weapon's waves add to and benefit fully from the combo counter. Even something as crazy as dropping to 10% damage at max range, allowing you to still stagger enemies and build the combo. This could also be used as a test to see whether such a thing would be game breakingly overpowered and whether it should be given to another frame (it should).

Because Wukong is love, Wukong is life, even in my Baruuk thread.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

I’ve heard his other e abilities are solid.

Thanks for letting me know. But his 4 is the only reason I got interested. And rarely could a frame be good without a decent 4.

Edited by 1thurts

4 minutes ago, 1thurts said:

Lol. I was interested in him but not anymore after reading your thread.

He's still interesting in some ways, the weapon feels incredibly impactful when used on the star chart for example, and thankfully most content is there. Genuinely enjoyable to use and I totally recommend it from a "cool" standpoint. It just seems to struggle with anything at all beyond that.

4 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

I’ve heard his other e abilities are solid.

Not my cup of tea personally, in case it wasn't obvious to anyone I'm not really much of a pacifist. Much prefer brutally clubbing everything to death.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, (PS4)supersocc11 said:

Doesn't baruuk have a combo that pulls enemies towards you?  That would at least help with ragdolling enemies everywhere and keeping the target in front of you.  have you tried that?  (I'm on console, so just basing these thoughts off of the devstream)

I assume you meant to respond to https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1045125-baruuk-almost-perfect/ with that? :tongue:

yeah his 4 is pretty underwhelming.

granted, it has a huge a*s range but if i wanted control a room, i just sleep everthing in there and thats it.

no status is pretty bad, especialy lategame. i cant even counter it with bloodrush since i cant equip it. not even sure if we gain combo points

6 minutes ago, Ghooze said:

not even sure if we gain combo points

Only if you actually hit them with your fist.

The waves however don't seem to benefit anyway, for example I equipped a few Gladiator mods and punched enemies with Baruuks actual fists until I had a 1.5x combo, at this point I noticed the occasional orange crit confirming my crit was over 100% as it should be.

The waves however only hit yellows and the occasional white non-crit.

Il y a 10 heures, DeMonkey a dit :

This could of course be completely intentional, but if so it begs the question why? Something to note of course is that this is early feedback, and there may be something I'm missing.

To elaborate on this, there are a few things that allow a melee weapon to deal damage at higher levels.

1. Status stacking and Condition Overload.
  2. Modding for Crit utilising the combo multiplier.
  3. Finisher attacks.

Desert Wind doesn't seem to viably have access to any of those.

It has a mere 10% status chance, and whilst there appears to be Impact procs within the stance, it's not going to lead to effective use of Condition Overload to the extent required for higher level melee.

It's very similar to Exalted Blade in that it has two separate attacks. A punch/kick, and a much larger wave that flows out from it. The wave doesn't add to or appear to benefit from the combo counter (at the very least it doesn't inherit the increased crit chance from Gladiator mods, even after punching my way to a 2x combo) whilst the short range punch does.

I have been unable to pull off a single finisher attack, neither through making enemies sleep nor by attacking ground targets.

What we're left with is a weapon that is very viable at lower levels, capable of going through walls and blasting and staggering enemies in a cone up to 20 metres away, but of almost no use at all once you reach higher levels, and I'm not even talking about the super crazy high levels, I was struggling with level 100 Gunners whilst using both Corrosive Projection and the Corrosive element, just to null as much armour as possible. This is merely Sortie tier. Whilst it's certainly cool to punch a wave that staggers a fair chunk of a small group... It's decidedly better to just shoot them or use a better melee weapon.

As it stands, Desert Wind is possibly the worst of the Unique/Exalted weapons.

I propose something similar to what I've always wanted for Wukong, that the weapon maintains it's high reach, but deals lower damage the further away enemies are. As a buff to counter this, I propose that the weapon's waves add to and benefit fully from the combo counter. Even something as crazy as dropping to 10% damage at max range, allowing you to still stagger enemies and build the combo. This could also be used as a test to see whether such a thing would be game breakingly overpowered and whether it should be given to another frame (it should).

Because Wukong is love, Wukong is life, even in my Baruuk thread.

Nah... The stance works pretty well, i just think they can change the activation condition. The skill require ZERO energy to active, but, i cant if your restraint "bar" is full. With "umbra set" at desert wind you will get 100% crit chance.  But guys, dont be sad about the "ULT". The other skills are pretty cools, as "1" ELUDE, if you put all range mods (280%) you got 360º "evade" effect, so with max duration mods, or closely of that your "1" skill will cost 1.30 energy, pretty awesome i guess. 

58 minutes ago, DblackShinoob said:

Nah... The stance works pretty well, i just think they can change the activation condition. The skill require ZERO energy to active, but, i cant if your restraint "bar" is full. With "umbra set" at desert wind you will get 100% crit chance.  But guys, dont be sad about the "ULT". The other skills are pretty cools, as "1" ELUDE, if you put all range mods (280%) you got 360º "evade" effect, so with max duration mods, or closely of that your "1" skill will cost 1.30 energy, pretty awesome i guess. 

I dont know what this post has to do with his Unique weapon lacking damage...

36 minutes ago, Wolfchild07 said:

His 4 is terrible against infested (healers/disruptors). It just ragdolls them and takes too long to kill them. I can mop them up with regular melee. I don't know why this ability is worse than Atlas' 1.

Hadn't even considered fighting them. 

shudder

16 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

i-say-the-whole-world-must-learn-of-our-

:wink:

3 hours ago, Viges said:

They are just preparing you for melee 3.0 🤣

Long reaching melee weapons with absolutely no damage potential? :scared:

Clutches staff protectively against chest. 

Just confirmed it for anyone interested, the shockwaves do not gain any benefit from the combo multiplier if you take the time to painstakingly punch enemies. Neither the damage boost, nor the increased crit chance from Gladiator mods.

• Like 1