Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Open Lockers Weekly?

Steel_Rook

Given that I've brought up opening lockers as a potential Elite Weekly that probably only I would enjoy, today's Daily Nightwave mission feels like joke aimed directly at me. Self-important paranoia aside, can we make this a weekly? Up it to 500-1000 Lockers, then present it as next week's Weekly or even Elite Weekly mission. No, I'm serious. If mining 6 Rare Gems on Orb Vallis can be a weekly, why not opening 600 or so lockers?

Those kinda challenge require concentrated efforts to complete. However, Nightwave is supposed to be the replacement for alerts. Meaning you shouldn't need to put in more time than you would put into alerts. If both systems, Nightwave and old alerts, coexisted it would be a different story.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, uxx0 said:

Those kinda challenge require concentrated efforts to complete. However, Nightwave is supposed to be the replacement for alerts. Meaning you shouldn't need to put in more time than you would put into alerts. If both systems, Nightwave and old alerts, coexisted it would be a different story.

Well, tell that to all the people who slagged me for being "lazy" and "entitled" for not wanting to do a 60-minute Kuva Survival without using Life Support Capsules, then 🙂 Because I agree in principle, but this is the state DE seem to want Nightwave in. As a de-facto achievement system, it by definition requires more effort than Alerts since you're having to pull off exotic activities you might not normally want to. And I'm not being sarcastic with this suggestion, by the way.

6 hours ago, IceColdHawk said:

I guess this is what you get for complaining about having to do a survival. Go fishing or mining instead xD

I think you misunderstand. I wasn't actually being sarcastic with my suggestion. Sure, two weeks ago I was using it as an example of something pretty much only I would enjoy, as a counter-point to people defending the tedious Elite Weeklies at the time just because it happened to be stuff THEY enjoyed. Me, though? I'm pretty sure I've already opened 600 lockers since starting this thread 6 hours ago, and I don't even have my Master Thief equipped because Frost Prime isn't quite ready yet. Seeing that made into a Daily mission in all seriousness, I'm no longer joking about an Elite Weekly about opening 1000 lockers. You absolutely CAN, it just tends to interfere with people's tendency to super-speed through maps to the end, but "it just tends to interfere with how people usually play" didn't stop any of the previous Elite Weeklies.

I'm sure nobody at DE knows who I am or read any of my suggestions, but they still ended up putting one of my jokes into the game pretty much as-is - probably by accident. And honestly? That was one of the few Dailies I ended up not really having to worry about accomplishing. Picked a random mission on Jupiter, had 20 lockers opened by the time I was done with the first couple of rooms.

6 hours ago, (NSW)mrEkli said:

We got too busy asking if we can. But no one asked why. Yeah, that's a bit excessive.

It sounds more excessive than it is, truth be told. It does depend on the Tileset somewhat, but let's take Jupier again. Your average "loot room" tends to have 10-15 lockers in it, with 1/3 to 1/2 unlocked by default. With Master Thief, you can open something like 2/3 of them. A single mission on Jupier is worth probably 100 lockers just by itself, though I've admittedly not kept track. Or you can bring a Kubrow or Kavat (or a Helminth Charger, depending on your gag reflex) with the Scavenge mod at 90% chance and get just about all of them. Admittedly, that last one might not be worth it because beasts are REALLY dumb about opening lockers and take forever to do so.

Point being if we had a "Open 20 lockers" Daily, maybe we'll have a corresponding Weekly or even Elite Weekly at some point 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Hmm, several people complaining about opening lockers. This is why people never have stars to put in Ayatans.

*sits on my pile of thousands of stars and laughs maniacally*

Yeah seriously

It amazes me how there are people out there who don't have enough stars.

for a while I was actually turning in stars to Maroo directly (not plugged into ayatans) just cause they were piling up faster than I could use them.

I could do a weekly 1000 lockers or 2000 containers (or rather a combination of the two just to get some extra amber stars I guess).
I have probably 300 cyan stars and only 30 ambers left I think so I wouldnt mind some extra looting incentive for these.

Edited by (XB1)Dic3man

13 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Hmm, several people complaining about opening lockers. This is why people never have stars to put in Ayatans.

*sits on my pile of thousands of stars and laughs maniacally*

Yeah, that did strike me as odd when I heard it. Someone complained about not having seen an Amber Star in months. Meanwhile, I'm pulling 1-2 Amber Stars per mission and end up having to sell 100s of them to Maroo because I simply don't have enough Sculptures to put them in. No, seriously - I keep an inventory of 100 Cyan Stars and 30 Amber Stars and sell the rest, which is usually to the tune of 200-300 Cyan and ~100 Amber depending on how long it's been since I've sold. For someone who opens lots of lockers and breaks lots of containers, these things are coming out of the frikkin' walls, it feels like sometimes.

4 hours ago, (XB1)Dic3man said:

I could do a weekly 1000 lockers or 2000 containers (or rather a combination of the two just to get some extra amber stars I guess).
I have probably 300 cyan stars and only 30 ambers left I think so I wouldnt mind some extra looting incentive for these.

Some combo of Lockers and Containers might be nice, yes. I'm admittedly pulling the numbers out of my ass somewhat, as lockers and containers are pretty hard stats to track unless I specifically set out to do it. I wonder if DE have a stat for the number of lockers opened per mission or containers broken per mission... I suspect the average is fairly low given how people play, which might explain the "20 lockers" daily. I mean, for someone who explores, that's one step above "don't forget to breath," and I'm not joking here. Depending on the tileset, you might have this many in just a single room.

500 lockers and 500 containers sounds pretty doable in a week, though. Plus it might give people incentive to actually explore. Sure, I get that not everyone likes to do it, but DE themselves established that Nightwave is supposed to cater to individual community subsections. The "60 minute survival" was officially stated to appeal to endurance runners, for instance. Why not something to appeal to explorers? I don't necessarily agree with the system being designed to appeal to specific playstyles directly, but it is so let's explore that.

1 hour ago, HexOmega111x said:

I'm pretty sure it was a troll from DE. Everything is too difficult or binding? Here, go open 20 lockers and see you on the forum for another complain. They were just mocking the whinners. 

It does feel like a joke, yes, albeit a harmless one. I just happened to take the joke seriously because it honestly does match up with the kind of activities I personally like to do. While Nightwave is not a great way to promote exploration (or any one playstyle, really), having an exploration-based Weekly or even Elite Weekly is not a bad idea. I don't see how people CAN complain about opening 20 Lockers even if they've forgotten how their interaction key works, but I do absolutely expect people to complain about a less trivial locker-opening or container-busting objective. Joke or not, it's a good idea.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Steel_Rook said:

500 lockers and 500 containers sounds pretty doable in a week, though. Plus it might give people incentive to actually explore. Sure, I get that not everyone likes to do it, but DE themselves established that Nightwave is supposed to cater to individual community subsections. The "60 minute survival" was officially stated to appeal to endurance runners, for instance. Why not something to appeal to explorers? I don't necessarily agree with the system being designed to appeal to specific playstyles directly, but it is so let's explore that.

The only thing I see wrong with that number is that Jupiter has way more lockers than any other place, so it will turn into a 'farm Jupiter for lockers' weekly. Maybe something like 'Unlock 50 lockers' would take a bit more effort, and also remind people that 'yes, you can unlock the lockers'.

43 minutes ago, TheMostFrench said:

The only thing I see wrong with that number is that Jupiter has way more lockers than any other place, so it will turn into a 'farm Jupiter for lockers' weekly. Maybe something like 'Unlock 50 lockers' would take a bit more effort, and also remind people that 'yes, you can unlock the lockers'.

That's a fair point, and Jupiter IS subject to a coming redesign. With that being said, though - a lot of tilesets have plenty of lockers. Most of the Corpus tilesets - Obelisk, Ground, Infested even - have a large number of lockers in neat, long rows. Grenier tilesets generally have fewer in a clump, but they have lockers spread out all over the place. I just got done with a Grenier Galleon mission before coming here (Alt-Tabbed to wiki Ecosynth fishing, got a ping from the forums), and I can attest to most rooms offering at least 5 lockers, sometimes even more. Granted, some of those ARE locked, but I believe the RNG deciding whether a locker is accessible is consistent across the game so that shouldn't affect numbers too badly.

Again, I'm pulling the numbers sort of out of my ass because I don't have good stats on how many lockers a mission will offer on average. 50 is definitely too low for a Weekly, however, as - again - that's doable within a single mission with no upgrades and not even a lot of looking. If you want a low-ball estimate, I wouldn't go below 100, and even that seems low. I mean, is it easier than mining 6 Eidolon Gems? On the face of it, no, but then the chance to actually GET one of those gems is itself fairly low so that still constitutes quite a bit of mining. So 100 for a non-elite Weekly sounds about right. It's high enough that you'd have to go looking, but not high enough that you'd have to go looking all that hard.

22 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

Given that I've brought up opening lockers as a potential Elite Weekly that probably only I would enjoy, today's Daily Nightwave mission feels like joke aimed directly at me. Self-important paranoia aside, can we make this a weekly? Up it to 500-1000 Lockers, then present it as next week's Weekly or even Elite Weekly mission. No, I'm serious. If mining 6 Rare Gems on Orb Vallis can be a weekly, why not opening 600 or so lockers?

I'd do it. 👍

I'm forever opening up lockers anyway if the action slows down during missions or whatever. And poking at moa cabinets too. Seems to confuse the heck out of people when I come back to the group with a cavalry of moas who proceed to stomp and zap all over the place 😂