Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion for melee without melee

Lexiel

So... I might not be the best Tenno at all. I'm like sub par casual nub. But, I love to level stuff, Like I have excaliburs to fit each theme (Dex, Corpus, Prisma, Prime, Proto armor, so on).

And one thing that really annoys me is, when I level stuff, there's no "Tenno melee" like there is during tutorial with Zanuka. You're captured, no weapons, yet you can use melee. Would it be possible to implement some, for example:
1) primary gun handle smack

2) secondary gun slap

Or something along those lines? With melee 3.0 around the corner, I think this would be really nice addition.

Regards and thank you

Lexiel, Formerly Genethitami

• Like 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Lexiel:

with Zanuka. You're captured, no weapons, yet you can use melee.

Isn't that only a slight variation of a fist or sparring stance? I really don't remember it, since is has been quite some time since I actually fought Zanuka.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Lexiel:

Would it be possible to implement some, for example:
1) primary gun handle smack

2) secondary gun slap

Whould surely be possible, but it whould be incredibly boring without serving any point.

7 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

Isn't that only a slight variation of a fist or sparring stance? I really don't remember it, since is has been quite some time since I actually fought Zanuka.

Whould surely be possible, but it whould be incredibly boring without serving any point.

I mean the point would be, let's say you level a kitgun. Just kitgun. You want to do more things at once so you do Nightwave Sabotage during it. There's a lot of containers on your minimap and your hearing isn't so well. Just pistol whip those, solved, no need to waste your ammo. Or let's say you're facing with shockwave moa, you forgot you can jump and you can u can use your pistol whip / rifle strike to smack that Moa (the knockback/disruption effect would be like on huge timer)

Or let's say you're playing Plains of Eidolon or Cetus, fishing, mining, catching floofs. You don't actually need melee for that. But it'd be nice to be able to ground slam (like for 1dmg maybe?) to land where you intend to.

43 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

I believe that for the sake of mechanics the game pretends you have an unmodded obex equipped until you grab a weapon

37 minutes ago, Lexiel said:

I mean the point would be, let's say you level a kitgun. Just kitgun. You want to do more things at once so you do Nightwave Sabotage during it. There's a lot of containers on your minimap and your hearing isn't so well. Just pistol whip those, solved, no need to waste your ammo. Or let's say you're facing with shockwave moa, you forgot you can jump and you can u can use your pistol whip / rifle strike to smack that Moa (the knockback/disruption effect would be like on huge timer)

Or let's say you're playing Plains of Eidolon or Cetus, fishing, mining, catching floofs. You don't actually need melee for that. But it'd be nice to be able to ground slam (like for 1dmg maybe?) to land where you intend to.

What you are after is Garuda.

She can melee without melee equipped. 75% of squad focus to single equipped gun for levelling.

She cool.

1 hour ago, Lexiel said:

I mean the point would be, let's say you level a kitgun. Just kitgun. You want to do more things at once so you do Nightwave Sabotage during it.

Equip a melee. You want the game to save you from a choice you intentionally made. Make something that takes 10 mins (levelling a weapon) take slightly less time is not a good reason to have to add new animations and stats to weapons that only have a use when somebody doesn't take a melee weapon, something that would probably never happen outside people thinking it makes an appreciable difference to Affinity gains.

26 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Equip a melee. You want the game to save you from a choice you intentionally made. Make something that takes 10 mins (levelling a weapon) take slightly less time is not a good reason to have to add new animations and stats to weapons that only have a use when somebody doesn't take a melee weapon, something that would probably never happen outside people thinking it makes an appreciable difference to Affinity gains.

I meant like for example leveling only Frame + Primary weapon. You don't want to spread that affinity to alraedy maxed Melee and Secondary.

44 minutes ago, Lexiel said:

I meant like for example leveling only Frame + Primary weapon. You don't want to spread that affinity to alraedy maxed Melee and Secondary.

The idea requires new animations. That is expensive for something that has no ability to be sold.

I really can't imagine DE doing all of this to let people melee when they intentionally choose to not bring one. The Affinity cost is not exactly that high that it deserves that much work to make it slightly easier to level something that already takes 10-15 mins.

It's something that players used to suggest rather frequently but afaik DE has never made it mostly due to it being impractical.

The only thing preventing you from putting a melee on is the Sortie modifier which exists to intentionally limit your weapons, and when you want more affinity to go to your other weapons which is an intentional strategy to min-max affinity gains. Ultimately any kind of "unarmed" melee would only exists as a way to conveniently open containers without spending ammo in the few circumstances you don't have a standard melee.

7 hours ago, (XB1)Lucas Jameson said:

I believe that for the sake of mechanics the game pretends you have an unmodded obex equipped until you grab a weapon

Really? Is THAT what they used for it? If so, thanks sir/mam! You've significantly helped me with one of my project pieces without even realizeing it.

I thought about this as well, and it would be kinda cool, however not to be used as a primary melee combat. It should deal really low overall damage, perhaps enough to finish off already wounded enemies in close quarters, but comparatively ineffective if you plan to use it to replace an actual melee weapon.

Instead, this mechanic should be focused on applying Impact procs, in order to give the player some breathing room when the enemy closes in.

The exception to this could be a few specific guns with bayonets attached to them. And that's something I'd love to see, though the game is fine the way it is, the more the merrier.

5 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Well... I mean what would be the point of Melee weapons if you you can Melee with your gun ?

Im not being sarcastic... im genuinely curious. 

it could replace quick melee... much faster to pistol whip or rifle butt your enemy than it is to draw and swing a melee weapon, even a fast one like a knife. probably won't be as effective, but this type of melee serves simply as a "Get the f&*^ off me!" button in games. a guaranteed stagger would be utility enough to make it useful IMO. plus I would love to see a gun with a bayonet and/or make spiked weapons like Tiberon usable in this manner.

while it's not really reasonable or possible, if I were a dev and time and cost were no object, I'd design an Unarmed stance for every frame, each one unique, mixing punches and kicks with the frames theme: Ash for example could fight with his hidden blades, Ember would imbue her fists with fire, volt would do the same with lightning, etc. I would absolutely love this, but like I said, won't happen as it would take an insane amount of work for something that would probably never get used, just one of those things that would look really cool IMO.

Edited by (PS4)robotwars7

6 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

It could replace quick melee... much faster to pistol whip or rifle butt your enemy than it is to draw and swing a melee weapon, even a fast one like a knife. probably won't be as effective, but this type of melee serves simply as a "Get the f&*^ off me!" button in games. a guaranteed stagger would be utility enough to make it useful IMO. plus I would love to see a gun with a bayonet and/or make spiked weapons like Tiberon usable in this manner

Yeah but... thats basically how Melee 3.0 works now... press Melee and your character will melee then just Aim to switch back to your gun. Isn it ?

11 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Yeah but... thats basically how Melee 3.0 works now... press Melee and your character will melee then just Aim to switch back to your gun. Isn it ?

yes it is, and honestly it works fine, though I don't see any other way of implementing this type of melee without it interfering with something else, unless perhaps if you don't bring a melee weapon, then it becomes your melee option. that was an idea I had before they started reworking melee though, so I probably need to rethink it again to go better with the new system.

On 2019-04-04 at 7:59 AM, Lutesque said:

That's exactly my point. Just without melee equipped.