Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The definition of "Hint Transmissions" has gone way too far!

Wisq

So I've had "Enable Hint Transmissions" disabled since forever, because I don't need the Lotus telling me that I need to go get reactant or whatever, I just want to hear relevant mission chatter.

The past few days now, I've had what I assumed was a bug.  I would get the mission briefing, maybe a bit of Simaris or whatever, and then ... nothing.  Nobody would say anything for the rest of the mission.

As a result, I've found myself continuing to kill enemies in Exterminate missions after we've reached our quota; standing around at Mobile Defense points after we've finished with them; doing solo Interception missions and having absolutely zero audio cue when a point has been capped (if I'm too far away to hear the alarm); etc etc.

Then a friend suggested that maybe those are now considered "Hint Transmissions" — and sure enough, enabling hint transmissions brings them back.  But that just pretty much defeats the entire purpose of having that option.  If I wanted zero audio cues throughout a mission, I would just turn Transmissions Volume off!

Surely we can have some happy compromise?  Like a second toggle for "Mission Progress Transmissions" or something?

Edited by Wisq
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Wisq said:

Then a friend suggested that maybe those are now considered "Hint Transmissions" — and sure enough, enabling hint transmissions brings them back.  But that just pretty much defeats the entire purpose of having that option.  If I wanted zero audio cues throughout a mission, I would just turn Transmissions Volume off!

Turning the volume down gets rid of audio cues, but it won't do anything about the visual spam. Right now, my screen is clean for the first time in years. I love it.

That said, mission progress transmissions would be useful as a second option, but I'd gladly take what we have now over the spam we used to get.

Seriously, missions are way too quiet these days. Plus, I know these have been done because of Nightwave, but come one, some of us wanna hear Nora but don't wanna hear Lotus. And since Lotus talks a lot more than Nora does, disabling hint transmissions to get rid of the Lotus means I'm also forced to turn off Nora! I mean, come on! Give us a separate button for Nora, it can't be that hard. You guys have already done the same thing for Ordis and the Operator, so, separate Lotus and Nora please? @[DE]George

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CandyManCriminal said:

all i wanted was the not hear nora call me a bad ass for pulling up a couple fish for the umpteenth time
not complete radio silence 

Same. Things get too quiet with hints disabled, and Nora's lines were cringeworthy from day one.

And whenever she mentions "sweet, black tomorrow", my my mind slips into R rated mode. Oy vey!

6 hours ago, [DE]George said:

We are still refining these and will be updating them with each hotfix.

How about a menu option that brings you to a screen where you can toggle separate categories of transmissions that're currently rolled into the "hint transmission" option? Or would that not be a feasible/sustainable solution?

7 hours ago, [DE]George said:

We are still refining these and will be updating them with each hotfix.

I wish there was a way to separate out the different mission contacts.  I'd like to NOT hear Nora, and I could live without the Lotus warning me that "It's the Grineer."  (It's always the Grineer.  It's never anyone else.)  But I'd like to still have the warnings/progress updates in Survival missions.  I'd also prefer to still get mission chatter from Darvo.  Yeah, he's a bit repetitive too but I only get to do a Darvo mission once a week or so and I think he's a little bit funny.

I'm also not sure how the "enable hint transmissions" toggle will affect actual story missions.  I know it's probably a bit (or a lot) of extra work, but it would be nice if we could choose which of the mission contacts we want to hear, and which we want to just be quiet.  I don't want to hear my Operator unless it's actual story dialogue.  Their mission chatter is painfully awful.  Nora and her slam poetry aren't my thing either.  But I'd like the notices that the life support is about to run out.  I try to watch the gauge, but sometimes I'm just busy shooting Grineer and don't notice it right away.

Personally I freaking love it! Finally I don't have to listen to Lotus, whom I have ''highly disliked'' for a while. It's not quite like getting Stalker to do those transmissions, or Teshin, but I will take nothing over Lotus any day.

Still, I fully understand the problems it may cause and would't mind an extra on/off switch, for the comrades that want it if nothing else.

Agreed! Came here to say the same.

There is a difference between hints, and audio cues. Low life support, finished timers, etc - those transmission are the only audio cues for those needing attention. When you're swinging around clearing out rooms with your atterax, you're not looking at the little timer. Most of the time, transmissions or not, you're not looking at it. You only look every now and then. And *that* is why audio cues are important - to draw your attention when it matters.

They don't have to make them exceptions to hint transmissions if the majority are ok with their removal, BUT they need to add some other kind of cue to indicate it! Like when an extractor is destroyed and you get the text box in the middle of the screen, add a CONSOLE HACKED or whatever. Add a CRITICAL LIFE SUPPORT box for a while. Add audio cues like alarms. You know that computer shutdown sounds as enemies recover consoles in Interception? Play that when a console is successfully hacked in a Mobile Defense.

It is not the transmissions themselves I miss, but the cues. Cues play a *big* role in games - they're so intuitive and useful you don't even consider them important until you're forced to live without them. I really benefit from cues, and I really benefit from not have to hREACTANTear most of the otheREACTANTr hint transmisREACTIANTsions, so right now it fREACTANTeels like trying to chooREACTANTse between two evils.

9 hours ago, (XB1)Architect Prime said:

I laughed when I saw the post above this one "Hint transmissions. Can these be added?"

Both topics aren't counter to each other as they both serve different needs.

My topic, the one you are citing, looks at the other obnoxious transmissions that actually block UI elements (which is a poor design decision) and other dialogue that has no real bearing on anything useful.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A few hotfixes later and this is still an issue. Turning off the "Enable Hint Transmissions" option still disables audio cue transmissions for objective updates. The initial mission description transmission still plays, and "keep going, nobody knows you're here" not long after, but nothing else at all after this. These should never have been added to the list of hidden transmissions anyway. If anything, it should be the other way around, with the "this is a _____ mission" and "keep going" hidden and only objective update cues playing.

It's kinda annoying getting left behind because you haven't noticed that the first defense point is done because you're still focused on killing stuff and haven't noticed the counter in the far-left corner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArmatageShanks said:

A few hotfixes later and this is still an issue. Turning off the "Enable Hint Transmissions" option still disables audio cue transmissions for objective updates. The initial mission description transmission still plays, and "keep going, nobody knows you're here" not long after, but nothing else at all after this. These should never have been added to the list of hidden transmissions anyway. If anything, it should be the other way around, with the "this is a _____ mission" and "keep going" hidden and only objective update cues playing.

It's kinda annoying getting left behind because you haven't noticed that the first defense point is done because you're still focused on killing stuff and haven't noticed the counter in the far-left corner.

We're going to be taking another look at this.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 2019-05-07 at 6:00 AM, Pandoran_Stallion said:

I much prefer what they've done with Operators - turning it into subtitle text with no transmission. Doesn't obstruct anything important on the screen at all. It would be nice if some hint transmissions returned in that fashion while mission cues remain as standard.

Yes, please give us the option to turn off the transmission video feed. They serve no purpose and are straight up annoying when they block out all the useful information.