Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Credits are boring...

Unagi604

So what exactly are credits for? I know the Corpus value them. Why should we want them though?

This is more about what purpose credits serve as a whole.
If everyone's next login reward was a trillion credits, what parts of the game would change? What would break?

Gear already costs materials and parts. Transmuting already costs mods. Leveling mods already costs Endo.

Best I can think of is for new players. Free set of MK1 guns, and not being credit blocked from getting primed mods or legendary cores (though those would still normally cost something unless they're committing some sort of fraud).

Would be nice if there was something that could be bought with credits that's actually useful to give them some purpose. Right now a credit reward seems to be the most unexciting thing to get.

Edited by Unagi604

There are many uses for credits:

1. You can buy the main blueprints for non prime frames, and weapons with them
  2. You can invest it into the index and get more
  3. You can rush your kubrow out of stasis
  4. You can buy holiday stuff for a dollar
  5. You need it when trading items (tax)
  6. It's used when you research stuff in dojos, and build things
  7. I think you have to spend a good chunk(along with bonds) when you visit Ticker
  8. You use it sometimes, when you get to the next level in your faction
  9. Need it along with endo to upgrade mods
  10. Primed Mods, Pizzas, Potatoes, Ephemras, Ciphers, Keys, Foundry Items, etc
Edited by GrayFrequency
Added #9 Added #10 Ty Blade_Wolf_16
  • Like 2

Also transmutations, if you're not in a mood to farm a specific mod, you can always go through the transmutation way, and with luck, besides getting the mods you want you can also get some valuable ones to trade for plat. This may require you to spend a ton of credits.

Edited by ZarTham
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Unagi604 said:

So what exactly are credits for? I know the Corpus value them. Why should we want them though?

If everyone's next login reward was a trillion credits, what parts of the game would change? What would break?

Credits are like any other resource.  To force people to play. Take my sons account e.g.: he has enough resources to buy debt bonds to get to Old Mate but lacks credits to buy them AND lacks sufficient credits to upgrade to old mate.  So he HAS to play to rank up.

16 hours ago, Unagi604 said:

Gear already costs materials and parts. Transmuting already costs mods. Leveling mods already costs Endo.

Best I can think of is for new players. Free set of MK1 guns, and not being credit blocked from getting primed mods or legendary cores (though those would still normally cost something unless they're committing some sort of fraud).

Would be nice if there was something that could be bought with credits that's actually useful to give them some purpose. Right now a credit reward seems to be the most unexciting thing to get.

Do you really not pay attention to what credits are used for? Basically.. everything.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, (XB1)Tucker D Dawg said:

Credits are like any other resource.  To force people to play. Take my sons account e.g.: he has enough resources to buy debt bonds to get to Old Mate but lacks credits to buy them AND lacks sufficient credits to upgrade to old mate.  So he HAS to play to rank up.

get a 3 day credits booster and run the high risk index with him. 2x 250,000 credits is 500,000 a run

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GrayFrequency said:

5. You need it when trading items
  7. I think you have to spend a good chunk(along with bonds) when you visit Ticker

Ok this is a good list, but here is what I'm talking about. The need for credits is artificial and not performing any required function. Even features like MR locking gear serve a purpose in providing pacing, or resources making players to explore different sectors, but credits don't seem to do anything.

1. If a new player had all the blueprints for free, they'd still be time, material, and MR locked. Being able to buy all of the credit purchasable blueprints wouldn't significantly help them. Everyone else already can afford them because really they cost next to nothing.
2. The index. This is actually a good example of the problem. DE puts out a mode where some people are making 100k a minute. What happened to the game? Nothing of significance.
3. LSG501 says it doesn't anymore, but assuming it still did (haven't checked myself) what does this actually do? Fee to free hasn't broken the game in anyway, just like if any of these other points went credit free.
4. They're 1 credit because they couldn't possibly charge any less. If they were free instead of 1 credit, there would be no significant difference.
5. If someone is giving you stuff for free, that's it's own problem. Otherwise trading usually involves... trading. You're already giving something and other than keeping people away from prime mods and legendary cores, the otherwise low cost doesn't really serve a purpose and wouldn't change anything of significance if it was removed.
6. Same as 1. Already costs something of significance and wouldn't change much even if the credits costs were removed.
7. This one I agree with. Some of the bonds are purely credit only and gives something to the user, though you can only buy each once per cycle.
8. Same as 1. Already costs something of significance and wouldn't change much even if the credits costs were removed.
9. Already costs endo and wouldn't change much even if the credits costs were removed.

2 minutes ago, Unagi604 said:

Ok this is a good list, but here is what I'm talking about. The need for credits is artificial and not performing any required function. Even features like MR locking gear serve a purpose in providing pacing, or resources making players to explore different sectors, but credits don't seem to do anything.

1. If a new player had all the blueprints for free, they'd still be time, material, and MR locked. Being able to buy all of the credit purchasable blueprints wouldn't significantly help them. Everyone else already can afford them because really they cost next to nothing.
2. The index. This is actually a good example of the problem. DE puts out a mode where some people are making 100k a minute. What happened to the game? Nothing of significance.
3. LSG501 says it doesn't anymore, but assuming it still did (haven't checked myself) what does this actually do? Fee to free hasn't broken the game in anyway, just like if any of these other points went credit free.
4. They're 1 credit because they couldn't possibly charge any less. If they were free instead of 1 credit, there would be no significant difference.
5. If someone is giving you stuff for free, that's it's own problem. Otherwise trading usually involves... trading. You're already giving something and other than keeping people away from prime mods and legendary cores, the otherwise low cost doesn't really serve a purpose and wouldn't change anything of significance if it was removed.
6. Same as 1. Already costs something of significance and wouldn't change much even if the credits costs were removed.
7. This one I agree with. Some of the bonds are purely credit only and gives something to the user, though you can only buy each once per cycle.
8. Same as 1. Already costs something of significance and wouldn't change much even if the credits costs were removed.
9. Already costs endo and wouldn't change much even if the credits costs were removed.

But it would change. Credits are just another resource that keeps people in game farming. Less time in game is bad, for the game. Not everyone enjoys or does index.

1 minute ago, Unagi604 said:

Do you really not pay attention to the post? You only replied after reading the first sentence.

I did, but credits are used in everything, for a purpose. Look at them for what they are, a resource - like everything else you mentioned.

• Like 2

il y a 24 minutes, Unagi604 a dit :

If the credit cost wasn't there, I would have maxed all my Primed mods a while back. 

And besides, there's a huge dfference between farming the Index+Abritration than Arbitration alone. You get burned out by the game twice as fast, and I'm not even taking in account all the other things that must be farmed in the game. 

Il y a 15 heures, GrayFrequency a dit :

5. You need it when trading items

Don't forget Pizzas/Ciphers/Keys (and other consumables) and now the Ephemeras (the Smoke one took 1M cred to build, haven't looked at the others tho) and maybe specify the 1M tax for Primed mods on top of the 2M if you need to max them.

Edited by Blade_Wolf_16
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zanchak said:

But it would change. Credits are just another resource that keeps people in game farming. Less time in game is bad, for the game. Not everyone enjoys or does index.

I did, but credits are used in everything, for a purpose. Look at them for what they are, a resource - like everything else you mentioned.

Well playing the index is bad then because it's giving players enough credits to spend less time in the game. I haven't played the index since I finished getting the mods from it. I just don't enjoy it and have more credits than I need as it is.

You're right that credits are effectively a resource, but that is what's making them boring. I've got millions of nano spores too, and they're also boring. I just felt that credits shouldn't be. It's money in the Warframe universe, and it doesn't act like it.

We used to be able to buy ammo refill cases and other stuff like healing with credits because there wasn't any way to increase ammo economy. Back then credits had value because there were consumables that you only needed credits to get and improve the quality of your gameplay. There isn't anything like that anymore.

4 hours ago, LSG501 said:

you've not got the upgraded incubator then... upgrade it as it doesn't cost anything now.

Upgraded incubator? I have all of the segments, and upgraded my incubator to the max. Kubrow, Kavat, Nutrio, Archwing, Personal Quarters, etc

(I will go ahead and apply the Nutrio Segment again, to see if it changes anything. I wouldn't mind pulling a kubrow out of stasis for free.)

Edited by GrayFrequency

Also I 100% don't see what's wrong with how credits are applied to the game. It functions well. 

You need credits to do certain things. Just like you need Orokin Cells to build certain frames, weapons, etc. 

Yes this a game where you grind. This a scifi mmorpg. You're going to have to get stuff to do more stuff with it. 

Credits are too easy to get. Make your way to Neptune, do the Glast Gambit quest, and then run some indexes.

I am actually glad DE included the Index in the game, since you can earn credits from it. It is just a bout finding the time to do it really. 

Note: You also need credits + ducats to buy stuff from Baro Ki'Teer.

(If you are bored of earning credits then go do some relic runs or something else. You don't have to do one thing only, there is so much you can do in Warframe.)

Edited by GrayFrequency

5 hours ago, Unagi604 said:

You could say the same thing about every resource. Technically credits aren't any different than alloy plate or rubedo. Call them space bucks, iron ingots, and rubies. You're still trading piles of resources for items or using them to make stuff.

17 minutes ago, Hobie-wan said:

You could say the same thing about every resource. Technically credits aren't any different than alloy plate or rubedo. Call them space bucks, iron ingots, and rubies. You're still trading piles of resources for items or using them to make stuff.

They're pretty close but the main difference is that if you needed a resource, they can only be gotten at certain places. Credits is just a byproduct of playing anywhere, and seems to be consumed as a byproduct almost everywhere it's required. Even if credits were gone, you'd still be trading piles of resources for items and making stuff.

• Like 2