Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave: Get rid of "Do X with Friends"

BlackRoseAngel

17 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

And then there are players like me who love this part of the challenges...

The problem is that they're trying to make too many challenges to cater towards the extremes of the game, when the whole thing about this game is that it has different Niches that enjoy different things.

I deeply enjoy the Index. I still think the Index one is kinda trashy because it essentially forces players who don't like the Index to play the index.

I loathe the 60 minute survival missions. Not because it challenges me, but because it's mind numbingly boring for me.

Some people have all the drift mods and hate the Lua challenges. I personally really enjoy them but that's ultimately besides the point.

Yes, some people enjoy these missions. Yes some people enjoy all of them. But Warframe is a game that has a lot of really niche communities who play their niche because *they have fun with their niche*. I don't avoid 60 minute Survival because I lack encouragement to play it, I avoid it because I *don't enjoy* playing it. I could run Lua Puzzles and Spy Missions with high mobility frames for days because I enjoy that kind of thing. I do them even though I have all the possible rewards for them, I don't need more encouragement to play them. That *doesn't*, however, make them good challenges for most people.

Forcing me to play these other game modes for rewards doesn't magically make me want to play these other game modes more. It doesn't make me give them a shot and change my mind, it just burns away some of my time doing something that makes me enjoy the game less.

8 minutes ago, (NSW)Sniperfox47 said:

The problem is that they're trying to make too many challenges to cater towards the extremes of the game, when the whole thing about this game is that it has different Niches that enjoy different things.

I deeply enjoy the Index. I still think the Index one is kinda trashy because it essentially forces players who don't like the Index to play the index.

I loathe the 60 minute survival missions. Not because it challenges me, but because it's mind numbingly boring for me.

Some people have all the drift mods and hate the Lua challenges. I personally really enjoy them but that's ultimately besides the point.

Yes, some people enjoy these missions. Yes some people enjoy all of them. But Warframe is a game that has a lot of really niche communities who play their niche because *they have fun with their niche*. I don't avoid 60 minute Survival because I lack encouragement to play it, I avoid it because I *don't enjoy* playing it. I could run Lua Puzzles and Spy Missions with high mobility frames for days because I enjoy that kind of thing. I do them even though I have all the possible rewards for them, I don't need more encouragement to play them. That *doesn't*, however, make them good challenges for most people.

Forcing me to play these other game modes for rewards doesn't magically make me want to play these other game modes more. It doesn't make me give them a shot and change my mind, it just burns away some of my time doing something that makes me enjoy the game less.

You lost me the second you said you were being forced.

You're being encouraged to try new things, to break out of your comfort zone and branch out.  It's a fairly strong theme of the entire game, considering how we have to experiment with builds and use weapons or Warframes we don't like in order to advance within the story and star chart.

Nightwave is set up to give players a generous allowance of avoidance for things they aren't ready for or don't want to do.  If you lack the standing to reach a certain reward tier because you just didn't want to do a certain challenge, I don't see why my enjoyment has to be sacrificed because of that because, again, you've been given multiple options to gain the needed standing.  

Another theme of Warframe is trading off.  You can have power at the expense of range, you can have max standing at the expense of doing something you don't like, something out of your niche, or you can stick with your niche and be further behind.

Those two things are part of the draw to the game for me, it's simply not something other games have or enforce.  I don't want to see the game changed just because you're being inflexible.

Edited by MagPrime

Gonna just ignore it. This problem has presented itself many times over.
I'm past T30 and there is no reason for me to farm any more NW standing, but I am going to have to agree with the OP on this.

I'm on the side of the fence where solo / group play toward a specific goal should be rewarded (conflicting schedules and lack of motivation/burnout among friends being a big factor in players having to seek rando friends in Warframe), but limiting player progression in the Nightwave unless they squad up with friend randoms (if they can't convince their true friends to play with them) just to remove afterwards isn't a good way to create goodwill toward this system, nor is it a good function in a game with both solo and group play settings.

To be honest, I'm just entirely over Nightwave right now. Not just because there's nothing new for me to gain, but because it feels like a shopping list of stuff to do in a game I use to get away from chores, life, and other duties. Nothing saying I have to progress any further sure, and I'm not suggesting for an OPT-OUT system to be implemented as just not playing Warframe is the best way to OPT-OUT. 

I'm really just gonna be focusing on playing other games until Warframe has something actually new, rather than rehashed "challenges" consisting of activities / things I've done hundreds if not thousands of times over by now. The entire way NW has gone so far, has me weary if the 2nd time around will be just as bad.

9 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

You lost me the second you said you were being forced.

You're being encouraged to try new things, to break out of your comfort zone and branch out.  It's a fairly strong theme of the entire game, considering how we have to experiment with builds and use weapons or Warframes we don't like in order to advance within the story and star chart.

Teams already have advantages solo players don't have access to, like hypothetically unlimited revives and a plethora of Frame-unique support powers. There is already incentive to "branch out" and team up; why should players be blocked from completing challenges solo?

Nightwave is set up to give players a generous allowance of avoidance for things they aren't ready for or don't want to do.  If you lack the standing to reach a certain reward tier because you just didn't want to do a certain challenge, I don't see why my enjoyment has to be sacrificed because of that because, again, you've been given multiple options to gain the needed standing.

Removing the friends requirement does not prevent you from teaming with friends. If you like to team up, Warframe is a co-op game and you should obviously be allowed to do that. If you are claiming to only enjoy the challenge because it says "with a friend" on it, I'm not really sure how to reason with that.

Another theme of Warframe is trading off.  You can have power at the expense of range, you can have max standing at the expense of doing something you don't like, something out of your niche, or you can stick with your niche and be further behind.

And what, pray tell, is the trade off in this situation? You can team up and have an easier time completing the challenge... Or you can stay solo - which is harder - and be blocked from completing it because reasons?

One side is purely benefits and the other is purely penalties. There is no trade-off to be had. That's just a false choice.

Those two things are part of the draw to the game for me, it's simply not something other games have or enforce.  I don't want to see the game changed just because you're being inflexible.

Warframe is, as mentioned previously, a co-op game. If a challenge has to FORCE cooperation for players to want to cooperate, something is fundamentally wrong and needs to be changed anyway.

• Like 1

Get rid of hour long BS.    25 wave defense is reasonable,  30 minute survival is reasonable.   

An hour is. not. reasonable unless it were a separate class of challenges worth 10k  once a week without replacing normal Acts.

Edited by Kingsmount

You can argue it's unnecessary to force you to play with friends or clan mates but at the same time people seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hole. Simply going to recru chat looking for people to do the same challenge, adding each other then doing said challenge and then you either end up having new friends or you can simply unfriend them again.

2 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

You can argue it's unnecessary to force you to play with friends or clan mates but at the same time people seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hole. Simply going to recru chat looking for people to do the same challenge, adding each other then doing said challenge and then you either end up having new friends or you can simply unfriend them again.

Just seems a bit unnecessary to me when the game has solo / group play settings. Why should solo players be forced to opt out of a "challenge" that's specifically easier to play in a group? They should be rewarded more in my opinion.

Haven't seen any solo only Nightwave challenges yet either, oddly enough.
Gotta go down that Rocky Riven Challenge Road sooner or later.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

Nobody is arguing that it is impossible to add friends or find workarounds for such a requirement.

But what does that requirement actually add? There are already plenty of incentives to socialize, from clan benefits to trading between Syndicates to the simple fact that it is easier to coordinate for higher level content with people you know.

Requiring friends doesn't add anything for people who already have friends, and only punishes players who don't have network connections/hardware to comfortably support multiplayer.

I agree that there is a mountain being made out of a mole hill here, but in this case I think it is the players claiming that anything of importance would be lost by allowing solo players to participate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

Just seems a bit unnecessary to me when the game has solo / group play settings. Why should solo players be forced to opt out of a "challenge" that's specifically easier to play in a group? They should be rewarded more in my opinion.

Haven't seen any solo only Nightwave challenges yet either, oddly enough.
Gotta go down that Rocky Riven Challenge Road sooner or later.

Solo has no risk of host migration therefore easier.

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

If you are playing with friends/clanmates and not PUGs, you can control who the host is.

But can you control their connection? Or electricity?

472252800483721216.gif?v=1

2 minutes ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

Solo also doesn't have theoretically infinite revives, so that makes it infinitesimally harder than Public.

DOUBLE Image result for checkmate gif 

356817226575118337.png?v=1

Who needs revives when you can't die?

Spoiler

291?cb=20160308025219291?cb=20151125205508245?cb=20180827015802

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

But can you control their connection? Or electricity?

Irrelevant.

Power outages can also affect solo players.

Network loss can also affect solo players.

PC crashes can also affect solo players.

If any player is more likely to experience any of those conditions, don't let them host.

Simple logic.

1 minute ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

Irrelevant.

Power outages can also affect solo players.

Network loss can also affect solo players.

PC crashes can also affect solo players.

If any player is more likely to experience any of those conditions, don't let them host.

Simple logic.

Not untrue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

Warframe is, as mentioned previously, a co-op game.

Really?  How is it then that I have been able to do everything in the game completely solo without ever needing to group with someone except for these challenges and the old Raids.  Even did it again on an Alt account just to see the newbie experience of the SoR update.  

I wish you all would stop implying that this game is co-op only.  Especially when it isn't.  It's both a single player and co-op game.  

Edited by DatDarkOne
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Really?  How is it then that I have been able to do everything in the game completely solo without ever needing to group with someone except for these challenges and the old Raids.  Even did it again on an Alt account just to see the newbie experience of the SoR update.  

I wish you all would stop implying that this game is co-op only.  Especially when it isn't.  It's both a single player and co-op game.  

... Did you even read my post?