Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

players opinion: grind or lore? what balance do you think is best for wf?

hi ppl! was thinking lately (scarry I know xD) is batter grind or lore for wf and in what ration? when I look at game lately there are a lot more grind content than lore. dont talk about "it is grind game" or so... thing is there are not so much lore for game, bit of background story so when larger expancion came like tww, sacrifice or new one it have some kind of sense. atm it like having amnesia what happened b4 only do this, grind this and that it is like grind 85% and lore 15% in total sum if wf. it is in some way incoherent at least for me. 

what do you think?

Lore doesnt take the place of grind nor the other way around. The people designing what the gameplay loop will be arent the same as the writers coming up with the backstory for all of this.

My guess is they are just working full force to flesh out the new war as much as possible as well as other background projects for later updates. Like for example jupiter has a decent amount of environmental stuff with the secret labs and the partnersjip fragments and the like. 

Warframe hasnt always exactly been very dorect with their lore.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

No you asked for years. I just started to ask for it.

Do i look like i care what you specifically think? Go google around, people have wanted more lore for years, we wanted the Prime trailers, we wanted actual QUESTS again rather than just randomly throw out every new Warframe and tie them with a grind or boss with no rhyme or reason.

having lore and having things to grind for are not mutually exclusive in any way. i feel like you just made up an unnecessary comparison for the sake of having something to post. i like my looters to have rich lore, and things to grind for...

Even if you wanted more lore, this is just mostly a mindless mmo where 99% of it is repeatable gameplay and 1% lore.Granted, unlike many games Anthem Destiny cough especially in the genre of mmo or looter shooters, that remaining 1% is incredible. Its well written, voice acting is freaking good, its interesting, its rather refreshing and not too cliche and it has its own style style (you know like Borderlands has a style for example too which other games often lack). Heck, for the past 2 years it made many people interested even in "supporting" characters like Alad, Queens, Teshin and so on. And it being well made or written you can trase the mentions of Queens for example, (also Natah's betrayal, coming of New war) and what they were after to the very beginning of the game during your very first mission.

That being said, it doesnt exactly lack lore. Lore and story isnt the same and wf lacks story missions and quests.  Because a huge chunck of it gets delivered via stuff no one cares to freaking collect, especially everything regarding Ordis. This ALONE could have been a quest that could rival 3 cinematic quests of the past, but they decided to take a way easier and lazier route. Not coolt. At all. Or the stalker. Its like. Meh.

Edited by -Temp0-

I'd prefer a combination of frames that have proper lore quests and frames that are just a grind... Or have two frames share the quest lore and player could pick which frame to get from the quest and then the other one would need grinding. But I do understand that making lore quests mean it takes more work and more time to release a frame which mean players complain that it takes too long and are unhappy.

26 minutes ago, Legion-Shields said:

Why would you ever want grind in the first place, if you're the one who has to do it? Lore at least has the potential to be interesting.

I know I'm a special kind of weird, but I play grindy games because I enjoy the grind 😄

Hm... why not both?

Tie the lore into the grind to make it a bit more rewarding. Instead of another MR fodder gun or frame, or whatnot, you get extra snippets of story in text from from collecting full sets of items, or special items like primes or prismas. Doesn't even need to be all plot, world-building works too - like I dunno, a set of Corpus weapons makes up an advert that worldbuilds a bit about the specific subsection of the Corpus, giving more insight into the parts of it we don't see and some tidbits about the weapons we've acquired (technobabble about how they work and their performance), or a legendary battle of the old war where these weapons were commonly used - with a Prime item from that set retelling that story as observed fact, not as ancient legend, or the aftermath or the build up or the feelings of the warriors - stuff that would be forgotten long before the actual battle was.

Destiny does stuff like this all the time, and it makes getting new Exotics and whatnot that much more engaging. Progression isn't just a boost in power, it's a boost in understanding.

have bit more lore about sentient, stalker, wolf, some bosses, wf, some general backstory...

take stalker, give little more lore and story about him, add some weapons to him, storm his hideout, or intercept him in star chart or something. also why alad v strike deal with sentient, what is he about to do... some balance about new release instead of 3min lore(if there is any) and 1h of grind.

last update did take space mom talk something but that is incoherent. how and where does it fit in wf? so far got coherent update and release grind of something and rng tend to hate me lately.

oh also forgoth is alad v or infested alad v? 🙂

Edited by -HoB-AngelofRevenge

12 minutes ago, Sept3var said:

Yeah I agree, its a bit all over the place story/progression wise atm, especially concerning Alad V

Seriously this. Do not click the spoiler unless you have basically completed all of the quests. 

Spoiler

How is Alad V even alive right now? There hasn't even been a very good explanation on why he was alive after the first time taking him out. Then he goes full on space bio terrorist and supposedly is taken out for good. Then, without really any reason, he's somehow cured and in full health!? Why is this Ropalolyst even here? Why is Alad V all of a sudden bribing the Tenno to kill it? Why is Natah all of a sudden so concerned with this out of the blue appearance? None of it makes any sense to me. There is probably out of game reading, or maybe a codex entry that I haven't seen but that is just not good enough for me. There needs to be very in your face in game explanations for these things and there aren't. It's all just a new grind when we want the new war. 

The story is what really got me into this game and is why I recommend it so passionately. I know they are working hard at DE but I just wish a bit more focus was given to the lore. 

1 hour ago, -HoB-AngelofRevenge said:

hi ppl! was thinking lately (scarry I know xD) is batter grind or lore for wf and in what ration? when I look at game lately there are a lot more grind content than lore. dont talk about "it is grind game" or so... thing is there are not so much lore for game, bit of background story so when larger expancion came like tww, sacrifice or new one it have some kind of sense. atm it like having amnesia what happened b4 only do this, grind this and that it is like grind 85% and lore 15% in total sum if wf. it is in some way incoherent at least for me. 

what do you think?

Well the two needn't be mutually exclusive, as far as I'm concerned.

The grind is the game (or at least a large part of it) - the activities we do while playing.

The lore is the backstory...our reason for doing it.

Ideally, the balance should be 50 / 50. Every time the devs release some new content, (e.g. the recent Gas City update), there should be some lore attached to it.

I think a lot of the confusion stems from the fact that the lore hasn't been released in chronological order...its like we're doing a certain amount of time-travelling, back and forth, as we progress through the game. Its also lacking in detail in some fairly important places too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr_True said:

Seriously this. Do not click the spoiler unless you have basically completed all of the quests. 

Hide contents

How is Alad V even alive right now? There hasn't even been a very good explanation on why he was alive after the first time taking him out. Then he goes full on space bio terrorist and supposedly is taken out for good. Then, without really any reason, he's somehow cured and in full health!? Why is this Ropalolyst even here? Why is Alad V all of a sudden bribing the Tenno to kill it? Why is Natah all of a sudden so concerned with this out of the blue appearance? None of it makes any sense to me. There is probably out of game reading, or maybe a codex entry that I haven't seen but that is just not good enough for me. There needs to be very in your face in game explanations for these things and there aren't. It's all just a new grind when we want the new war. 

The story is what really got me into this game and is why I recommend it so passionately. I know they are working hard at DE but I just wish a bit more focus was given to the lore. 

Well:

Spoiler

We helped Alad find the cure for his bio-terrorism meddling, then soon after, he screwed himself over by signing a contract and forced to make Amalgams to save his own skin.

Edited by Renegade343

1 minute ago, Renegade343 said:

Well:

Hide contents

We helped Alad find the cure for his bio-terrorism meddling, then soon after, he screwed himself over by signing a contract and forced to make Amalgams to save his own skin.

Spoiler

Oh that's right I remember the cure...Kinda silly though even then because didn't we "put him out of his misery" right before that? Now I want to go replay the quests. 

Where is this new information about the contract etc.? In the codex, online or did he say it outright? I probably missed it if he said it on the way to the fight. 

1 minute ago, Mr_True said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Oh that's right I remember the cure...Kinda silly though even then because didn't we "put him out of his misery" right before that? Now I want to go replay the quests. 

Where is this new information about the contract etc.? In the codex, online or did he say it outright? I probably missed it if he said it on the way to the fight. 

You have to find fragments in the new tileset to get the latter half of what I said. Of course, I didn't, so I just read the wiki for the transcript.

Цитата

You have to find fragments in the new tileset to get the latter half of what I said. Of course, I didn't, so I just read the wiki for the transcript.

And this is warframes biggest problem with story really.

As much as Im interested in the stuff, as much I do NOT want to look for things like that. Especially things like fragments, cephalon or otherwise, aint nobody have time for that.

a better grind game loop. lore is already amazing as is. there's a ton going on and as far as im concerned, they dont need to keep progressing the story past New War. I think they need to revisit old systems, improve rewards, do more balancing.