Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reasons Why Chroma Absolutely and Undeniably Needs a Rework

(PSN)LoisGordils

Well I mean, yeah, Chroma has some problems and two completely useless abilities... But it's in a pretty good spot regardless compared to the rest of the frames so... Yeah, not any time soon, there are many frames which need a rework way more than Chroma.

18 minutes ago, D_Caedus said:

Well I mean, yeah, Chroma has some problems and two completely useless abilities... But it's in a pretty good spot regardless compared to the rest of the frames so... Yeah, not any time soon, there are many frames which need a rework way more than Chroma.

Chroma desperately needs a rework. After Vauban and Ember, Chroma should be next in line. A Warframe with 50% of its kit being useless is NOT good design at all.

• Like 1

Spoiler
hace 3 minutos, (PS4)LoisGordils dijo:

Chroma desperately needs a rework. After Vauban and Ember, Chroma should be next in line. A Warframe with 50% of its kit being useless is NOT good design at all.

He haves 2 useless abilities but isn't obsolete like Vauban and Ember, those really need desperately a rework.

Edited by chofranc

5 minutes ago, chofranc said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He haves 2 useless abilities but isn't obsolete like Vauban and Ember, those really need desperately a rework.

Or Nyx/Titania which just got reworks but still pretty useless imo.

People complain that frames like Saryn kill everything with one button and doesn't allow them to display their skills of running and shooting at enemies.
DE gives us Chroma who is designed to allow players to run and gun only.
People complain that all Chroma can really do is run and gun.

There's no pleasing some people.

==========

Leave Chroma alone. He's fine for now. He has his uses and shines where no other frame does.

On 2019-07-01 at 1:10 AM, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

The only worthwhile buff is the Cold one

Why does every damn time i see someone talking about Chroma, they say this? Are they even using Chroma at all? Do they know at least how the math for the skill works?

While this element does not require a buff

The armor buff is mediocre for Chroma, it works additively along with Vex Armor, that means 1000% +/- +200%, that's a 20% increase. His Health buff from the Fire element increases his EHP pool by a much larger margin, because his armor is so big, that he benefits more from Health increases.

Should remain mostly unchanged. It's a pretty straightforward ability. Some synergy based on chosen element would be nice, however

I would increase duration to 30-40s, spends way too much energy for something you'll constantly use, so at least a better duration. Also, only buffs to guns? Seriously?  

Overall, i prefer a hundred times the other post "Finally, Chroma can fly". Your rework barely looks like one and you don't really improve Chroma in no way except for some mediocre versatility.

Edited by (XB1)XG1anBl4derX

On 2019-07-02 at 12:43 PM, Teridax68 said:

To a large extent, I agree with the assessment and the goals of the rework as stated in the OP: while I disagree that Cold is the only viable element (Toxin is useful for Profit-Taker), Chroma is a much narrower frame than he deserves to be, with only half a kit and not much gameplay based off of it. However, I'd go further and say that when Chroma's abilities aren't useless, they're boring, and so deserve to change as well: in their current state, Elemental Ward and Vex Armor have about as much gameplay as an egg timer, where the player presses a button for a long-duration steroid, and does little other than constantly watch over those timers in order to refresh them just before (for his 3) or after (for his 2) they expire. As such, I'd want to alter those effects so he gets to do more interesting things with elements. For example:

• Passive - Draconic Armor: 
    • Chroma gains bonus armor based on the damage he takes.
    • Additionally, if no primary weapon is equipped, Chroma can equip his Spectral Scream instead, a weapon with 100% base status chance that always deals 100% elemental damage based on his element of choice.
  • 1 - Elemental Ward: Tap to toggle Chroma's primary element, and hold to toggle Chroma's secondary element, the combination of which creates Chroma's chosen element. Chroma is immune to damage and status of his chosen element, and afflicts enemies who attack him with his chosen element's status. The default element for both is Heat, and subsequent ranks unlock Cold, Electricity, and Toxin respectively.
  • 2 - Vex: Tap to taunt nearby enemies into attacking Chroma, and accumulate damage taken for the next few seconds. At the end of the duration or upon tapping again, Chroma releases a nova of his chosen element, damaging enemies based on a multiplier of the absorbed damage and applying status.
  • 3 - Fury: Charge to consume Chroma's bonus armor, causing his next weapon attack to deal a bonus amount of flat damage based on the armor consumed, of the element of his choice, and applying a status proc from that element.
  • 4 - Effigy: Toggle to separate Chroma from his pelt at no Energy cost. During this time, Chroma does not benefit from his abilities, but using them instead commands his pelt to cast them instead, with a massive range bonus. Hold to reposition the pelt.

Wouldn't it make him too squishy?  

Unless the armor buff from the passive is very big, with high duration (you also didn't include a duration). But i think a better idea would be:  

Dragon skin - Chroma gains 10 base armor every second (up until 1000), and a 1% armor buff every second (up until 100%, multiplicative with mods). Whenever Chroma gets affected by a status effect, he will sacrifice 10% armor buff to negate it completely, also making him immune to status effects for 2s (to avoid bursts). 

With his base 425, he will reach 1425 armor with no mods after 100s (more than 1 minute, less than 2), with steel fiber and the armor buff he will go to: ((1425 +110%)+100%) = 5985 armor (95DR). (It may look "way too big", but Chroma can actually hit it nowadays, just harder because it's not a passive)

With this, you can completely remove Vex Armor as a skill and introduce much better (and entertaining) skills to use.

3 hours ago, (XB1)XG1anBl4derX said:

Wouldn't it make him too squishy?  

Unless the armor buff from the passive is very big, with high duration (you also didn't include a duration).

The idea is that the passive armor would have infinite duration, and would be able to provide very high amounts of protection.

3 hours ago, (XB1)XG1anBl4derX said:

But i think a better idea would be:  

Dragon skin - Chroma gains 10 base armor every second (up until 1000), and a 1% armor buff every second (up until 100%, multiplicative with mods). Whenever Chroma gets affected by a status effect, he will sacrifice 10% armor buff to negate it completely, also making him immune to status effects for 2s (to avoid bursts). 

With his base 425, he will reach 1425 armor with no mods after 100s (more than 1 minute, less than 2), with steel fiber and the armor buff he will go to: ((1425 +110%)+100%) = 5985 armor (95DR). (It may look "way too big", but Chroma can actually hit it nowadays, just harder because it's not a passive)

With this, you can completely remove Vex Armor as a skill and introduce much better (and entertaining) skills to use.

While I like the idea of generating armor, I fail to see how basing it on just waiting would make the effect more interesting. Why not just make that based on taking regular damage? Why does Chroma need to resist status? Why does he need both base and multiplicative armor?

7 hours ago, uAir said:

DE gives us Chroma who is designed to allow players to run and gun only.

No, he's not designed for that. His kit is so bland, using your weapons is pretty much all you can do

7 hours ago, uAir said:

Leave Chroma alone. He's fine for now. He has his uses and shines where no other frame does.

He's not fine. Again, half of his kit is useless. 

4 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

While I like the idea of generating armor, I fail to see how basing it on just waiting would make the effect more interesting. Why not just make that based on taking regular damage? Why does Chroma need to resist status? Why does he need both base and multiplicative armor?

Because: 

1- Based on your idea, Chroma can just die from a random damage burst. 

2- Every tank has to resist status, if not all, AT LEAST Slash procs, because they are the natural counter to armor. And well...Chroma is an armor tank, wanna guess what will happen to his mediocre health pool when a lvl 150 slash proc hits him? 

3- Ahm? I literally explained there. To hit high armor values like the actual Chroma, or else he won't be able to tank a lot LOL. Unless you want to straight up give him 5500 armor, i have nothing against it, just make sure this is not affected by mods, buffs, etc.

In my opinion this needs a bit of tweaking. Basically the same reasons as what this guy said

On 2019-07-01 at 6:27 AM, sharkstrangler said:

BRUH, do you even realize just how OP Chroma would be after these changes? Jesus christ man, legit everyone would run Heat elemental as that would give you a health buff, a regen buff, a heat damage buff, and a CD buff.

You are essential turning Chroma into a Wisp that can do everything that she can, AND MORE, AND BETTER.

Dude, seriously wtf. I'm not responding to the rest of this.

2 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

No, he's not designed for that. His kit is so bland, using your weapons is pretty much all you can do 

With his current abilities what would you do with him then if not just running and shooting your weapons?

Because you basically just said no, and then restated what I just said.

On 2019-07-01 at 5:10 AM, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

3. Vex Armor: Should remain mostly unchanged. It's a pretty straightforward ability. Some synergy based on chosen element would be nice, however:

a. Heat - Weapons gain increased projectile speed

b. Toxin - Weapons gain increased status chance

c. Electric - Weapons gain increased fire-rate and punch-through

c. Cold - Weapons gain reduced recoil and increased accuracy

4. Effigy: Chroma's trusty mini-dragon should rightfully be treated as an Exalted Weapon and given its own slot. However, it should be considered a Pet and given both a slot for the Effigy itself and a slot for its offensive attack (akin to a glorified Sentinel). Effigy's Roar (codename for Effigy's breath) should incorporate beam weapon mechanics. Additionally, Effigy can serve as an extension of Chroma himself. Meaning, Effigy is affected by Elemental Ward and Vex Armor and can share the buff with allies standing near it.

as a chroma main the one reason i use my effigy is just to blind enemies but the drain is not worth keeping it going, but that does sound like its worth using.

and dat vex armor based on the chosen element is making me moistt

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toxic_degenerate said:

as a chroma main the one reason i use my effigy is just to blind enemies but the drain is not worth keeping it going, but that does sound like its worth using.

and dat vex armor based on the chosen element is making me moistt

Thank you for seeing the light, friend ❤

9 hours ago, (XB1)XG1anBl4derX said:

Because: 

1- Based on your idea, Chroma can just die from a random damage burst. 

Which would only happen if he took massive burst damage before he could accumulate any armor at all, a problem that exists both on live Chroma and your version most of all.

2- Every tank has to resist status, if not all, AT LEAST Slash procs, because they are the natural counter to armor. And well...Chroma is an armor tank, wanna guess what will happen to his mediocre health pool when a lvl 150 slash proc hits him? 

... he resorts to any of the many easy healing options at our disposal and does just fine?

3- Ahm? I literally explained there. To hit high armor values like the actual Chroma, or else he won't be able to tank a lot LOL. Unless you want to straight up give him 5500 armor, i have nothing against it, just make sure this is not affected by mods, buffs, etc.

But if you want to hit high armor values, why not just give flat armor? Why would it be such a bad thing to make that amount be affected by mods?

5 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

Which would only happen if he took massive burst damage before he could accumulate any armor at all, a problem that exists both on live Chroma and your version most of all.

Ahm...no. No enemy capable of bursting his health will appear in 100s, you have to stay at least 50 min for lvl 100 enemies to appear. Literally 3000s. It's tedious? No, because you don't have to wait to stack it, high lvl enemies won't appear right from the get go on most missions.  

Even on sorties, you can go very well against lvl 100 enemies in the third mission. But in most cases you won't have to face them anyways, the last challenge is always some rushed mission (rescue, assassination, sabotage, spy at best) than doesn't involve fighting at all.

... he resorts to any of the many easy healing options at our disposal and does just fine?

First, decide if you're confident about what you're going to say because it seems you don't know what you're talking about (after that mistake above in the first quote), and i don't really get the question at all...is that a question? Because as far as i know, rethorical questions don't work that way. 

We have 2 (relevant) sources of heal for Chroma: his elemental ward (with Fire, the arguably best element for tank Chroma) and Arcane Grace. 

Even with them, you won't tank lvl 150+ enemies, you may survive them (because tbh, you won't stand still eating bullets), but tanking is far from the truth. 

Tanking is what Nidus/Rhino does, they literally can just stand there doing nothing. The problem is, since enemy weapons have infinite scaling, and their damage procs does get higher too...you know where i'm going, Chroma won't survive any lvl 150+ slash procs like Rhino/Nidus does because they even receive it at all. 

Not to mention that Rhino for example can instantly regenerate his "health bar" (well, his Iron Skin is considered one). Chroma will have to rely on Arcane Grace...and you have to take damage to activate him...you know where this is going.

But if you want to hit high armor values, why not just give flat armor? Why would it be such a bad thing to make that amount be affected by mods?

Because tbh, not even my idea was good, a decent passive for Chroma (that passive representing a straight removal of Vex Armor) is somewhat like this:

Dragon skin - Chroma receives 50% less damage (increases 1% for every hit received, lasts 10s and refreshes after each hit) overall. Chroma is also immune to fire/cold/toxic/eletric status effects.

That is perfect for him, with 1 vitality/steel fiber (740 health and 892 armor total) he will reach 2960 EHP, wich will go to 5920 (because 50DR means x2 EHP). 

But with full passive effect he will go go 29600 EHP (90DR means x10 EHP, you can test all of that by yourself), wich is kinda fair considering Inaros for example can hit 20k with nothing active, Chroma would need to take hits. And the status immunity to Fire/Cold/Eletric/Toxic fits his theme perfectly.

Ahm...no. No enemy capable of bursting his health will appear in 100s, you have to stay at least 50 min for lvl 100 enemies to appear. Literally 3000s. It's tedious? No, because you don't have to wait to stack it, high lvl enemies won't appear right from the get go on most missions.  

So by your own admission, that would never happen right off the bat. Glad to have you admit to making up a problem that doesn't exist!

(Oh, and by the way, if you've run Profit-Taker, you'll know that it is in fact possible for burst of that magnitude to happen right off the bat, but either way, my point stands).

Even on sorties, you can go very well against lvl 100 enemies in the third mission. But in most cases you won't have to face them anyways, the last challenge is always some rushed mission (rescue, assassination, sabotage, spy at best) than doesn't involve fighting at all.

Side note, but aren't you just destroying your previous argument? You brought up the risk of Chroma dying from a "random damage burst" as an argument against my proposal, and now you're telling me such a burst wouldn't be capable of happening in the near-totality of cases to begin with.

First, decide if you're confident about what you're going to say because it seems you don't know what you're talking about (after that mistake above in the first quote), and i don't really get the question at all...is that a question? Because as far as i know, rethorical questions don't work that way. 

Then you may perhaps want to reevaluate your understanding of rhetorical questions, because that was in fact one, used in the way one it meant to be. It also seems you may be projecting, as you don't seem entirely aware of how Chroma players heal themselves even now, e.g. Magus Repair, Healing Return, Arcane Grace, etc. Healing is plentiful in the game's current state, so citing that as some deal-breaking weakness doesn't really work anymore, nor does it suggest a proper understanding of the subject matter you are discussing.

We have 2 (relevant) sources of heal for Chroma: his elemental ward (with Fire, the arguably best element for tank Chroma) and Arcane Grace. 

And, with this answer, you demonstrate that you visibly do not understand how Chroma functions at all, nor how he actually sustains himself. 

Even with them, you won't tank lvl 150+ enemies, you may survive them (because tbh, you won't stand still eating bullets), but tanking is far from the truth.

And?

Tanking is what Nidus/Rhino does, they literally can just stand there doing nothing. The problem is, since enemy weapons have infinite scaling, and their damage procs does get higher too...you know where i'm going, Chroma won't survive any lvl 150+ slash procs like Rhino/Nidus does because they even receive it at all.

Except Nidus arguably has far less effective health, and Rhino's durability depletes and needs to be replenished during moments of vulnerability. Chroma's not going to survive level 150+ Slash procs like Nidus or Rhino, but he's going to be able to survive differently nonetheless, and still has tools at his disposal to mitigate the impact of Slash procs.

Not to mention that Rhino for example can instantly regenerate his "health bar" (well, his Iron Skin is considered one). Chroma will have to rely on Arcane Grace...and you have to take damage to activate him...you know where this is going.

Which requires preparation to regenerate to any large amount, during which time he'll be incredibly squishy, whereas Chroma can in fact constantly refresh his bonus armor on Live, and would have permanent reserves of armor in both our proposals. I'm not quite sure what point it is you're trying to make here.

Because tbh, not even my idea was good, a decent passive for Chroma (that passive representing a straight removal of Vex Armor) is somewhat like this:

Dragon skin - Chroma receives 50% less damage (increases 1% for every hit received, lasts 10s and refreshes after each hit) overall. Chroma is also immune to fire/cold/toxic/eletric status effects.

That is perfect for him, with 1 vitality/steel fiber (740 health and 892 armor total) he will reach 2960 EHP, wich will go to 5920 (because 50DR means x2 EHP). 

But with full passive effect he will go go 29600 EHP (90DR means x10 EHP, you can test all of that by yourself), wich is kinda fair considering Inaros for example can hit 20k with nothing active, Chroma would need to take hits. And the status immunity to Fire/Cold/Eletric/Toxic fits his theme perfectly.

How is that proposal any good at all, though? If you just want Chroma to have more EHP, why not just double his base health and shields, instead of just giving him the absolute most boring implementation of a durability passive one could possibly come up with?

Thread has been thoroughly cleaned of disruptive and antagonistic posts. 

Be sure to remain civil while discussing the topic and refrain from insulting others. Continuing with that behavior may require a lock of the discussion.

Take care.

• Like 3

On 2019-07-01 at 1:27 AM, sharkstrangler said:

BRUH, do you even realize just how OP Chroma would be after these changes? Jesus christ man, legit everyone would run Heat elemental as that would give you a health buff, a regen buff, a heat damage buff, and a CD buff.

You are essential turning Chroma into a Wisp that can do everything that she can, AND MORE, AND BETTER.

Dude, seriously wtf. I'm not responding to the rest of this.

Holy S#&$. This. 

I read the passive alone and realized how OP this was gonna be.

1 hour ago, BeardyKyle said:

Holy S#&$. This. 

I read the passive alone and realized how OP this was gonna be.

:facepalm:

You didn’t read the thread and just quoted the former reply without researching. The Reply was 1 month ago.

The OP already rebalanced those changes.

Edited by DrivaMain

9 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

:facepalm:

You didn’t read the thread and just quoted the former reply without researching, the reply was 1 month ago.

The OP already rebalanced those changes.

Did he make the changes in the thread or did he edit his post?

Edit: Cause I don't see it in the thread and the edited post still looks OP to me. Genuinely wondering if I missed something.

Edited by BeardyKyle

On 2019-07-01 at 12:10 AM, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Passive: Called Elemental Affinity, Chroma will now gain bonus elemental damage on all weapons based on the currently selected element. Does not combine with other elements.

I'd say for balancing issues, Simply giving Chroma the passive of 60% increased credit drop rather than having it only work while Effigy is active is a huge upgrade by itself. Since it's the most attractive thing about effigy for me personally.

1. Spectral Scream: This ability will now allow Chroma to cycle through his arsenal of elements. Hold to cycle, tap to activate. With this change, issue #3 is solved. However, the pitiful damage still remains. I propose a range increase (the current base 10m is too low) and a base damage increase (200 damage is just bad). Now, Spectral Scream, like any good damage ability, needs to scale. My idea is that Spectral Scream takes some inspiration from Saryn's Spores. Meaning, the damage on Spectral Scream ramps up per tick and per enemy caught by the stream of elemental destruction. Upon deactivating Spectral Scream, Chroma unleashes an elemental Nova that knocks down nearby enemies and inflicts a percentage of Spectral Screams's total damage at the moment of deactivation (if SS had 10,000 damage ramped up, the nova would deal a percentage of that).

Definitely needs to cycle through elements. I'd prefer that Chroma deals a Radial knockdown On Activation of spectral scream and the longer it's active the more the damage ramps up. Considering this ability is meant to inflict Status and have some light CC rather than deal tons of damage. 

2. Elemental Ward: While interesting of design, the ability itself is poor. The only worthwhile buff is the Cold one. In addition to possibly tying the aura's effect on allies to Affinity Range, buffing/tweaking the other three elements to be on-par with Cold would be a viable solution:

a. Heat - In addition to the Health buff provided, this aura grants status immunity. Heat Spectral Scream gains the ability to proc Blast if used with EW activated.

b. Toxin - In addition to increased dexterity, enemies near the caustic aura will have their armor degraded every second. Note that it's not Corrosive procs, per se. Merely, the aura ticks away at the enemy's base armor value (similar to Shattering Impact). This provides Chroma with valuable armor stripping. Spectral Scream gains the ability to proc Viral if used while EW is active.

c. Electric - This aura eliminates Shield recharge delay. Meaning, shields are constantly regenerating at amount per second. Moreover, upon losing X amount of shields, a disruptive pulse is emitted that jams enemy guns and disables robotic enemies in Chroma's immediate vicinity. When Spectral Scream is used, damage caused by it allows Chroma to quickly build overshields while simultaneously draining shields from enemies and giving them to allies.

I like a lot of these, especially the Electric. However, it's quite a lot and with everything else you suggested Chroma will be god op, taking into account arcanes, etc. you can also put on him. Personally I think Elemental Ward needs more simplistic changes. Such as:

• On cast - remove status procs. You are Not immune, but you can remove.
  • Allow multiple casts of Elemental Ward. One for each element.
  • Fin.

Simply put. It functions the same but you can now have all of Chromas Elemental Ward buffs active at once - each on their own timer, with icons on screen to show which are active. However, you cannot recast the same element until it's timer runs out. 

Reason being, Cold and Heat are the most beneficial but the other other two are good for utility. There's no need for every single element to be great - but they can play off each other to make Chroma stronger as a whole without changing the way any of them work.

3. Vex Armor: Should remain mostly unchanged. It's a pretty straightforward ability. Some synergy based on chosen element would be nice, however:

a. Heat - Weapons gain increased projectile speed

b. Toxin - Weapons gain increased status chance

c. Electric - Weapons gain increased fire-rate and punch-through

c. Cold - Weapons gain reduced recoil and increased accuracy

Again, it's quite a lot in the grand scheme of things and could make him op. Vex armor doesn't need to be changed - besides the annoyance of having to monitor and recast before it runs out, it's a solid ability. 

4. Effigy: Chroma's trusty mini-dragon should rightfully be treated as an Exalted Weapon and given its own slot. However, it should be considered a Pet and given both a slot for the Effigy itself and a slot for its offensive attack (akin to a glorified Sentinel). Effigy's Roar (codename for Effigy's breath) should incorporate beam weapon mechanics. Additionally, Effigy can serve as an extension of Chroma himself. Meaning, Effigy is affected by Elemental Ward and Vex Armor and can share the buff with allies standing near it.

Of all his abilities, Effigy needs the most work. Though turning it into a exalted sentinel wouldn't do it for me. Instead I would prefer it function like an Eidolon Lure - with Follow, Hold commands. How it should function IMO should be based on 3 facets: Attacks, Synergies and Benefits to Chroma himself.

• Currently it has 3 attacks: Stream, Radial attack, Radial Roar
    • Stream and Radial Attack are based on element and Roar is just a 30m Stun.
  • Radial Attack increased to 8m and has 100% status chance.
  • Radial Roar reduced to 25m but also now opens enemies to finishers.
  • While Chroma is within 8m of Effigy he is invisible. Invisibility lasts 5s after leaving the radius. (Keep in mind you can have effigy follow you to keep the invis going)
  • Synergy with Vex Armor:
    • Vex Armor increases the damage of Effigy attacks by 25% and increases Health of Effigy by 25% - That's about 2500 Element Damage/s and 10000 Health.(Affected by strength mods)
    • Effigy and Chroma share the Vex buff - if one gets hit it increases the buff for both.
  • Synergy with Elemental Ward: Within 8m of Effigy Elemental Wards have their duration reset
  • Synergy with Spectral Scream: Within 8m of Effigy changing your Element will change the element damage of Effigy as well

The goal is to justify the huge energy drain of using effigy by making it extremely useful, essential something you could mod for instead of typically just modding for Vex armor strength and duration.

On 2019-08-17 at 1:08 PM, uAir said:

With his current abilities what would you do with him then if not just running and shooting your weapons?

Because you basically just said no, and then restated what I just said.

What he's saying is he's not designed for just run and gun, but that's all he can do with his kit because his other abilities are useless. That exactly why Chroma needs a rework, but you say he's "fine".

He's not fine. He depends almost entirely on 1 ability, an ability that was reworked to benefit your team except most players build him in a way that only benefits Chroma and removes any range that would've benefited the team. So even that one ability is rarely used to the extent it is intended to. 

• Like 1