Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Hydrolyst is green and Natah purple ?

lukinu_u

The question may sound dumb, but let me explain.

So first, instead of other faction stuff that are created by people which decide what color they want use for what they craft, Sentients are living form of their own and they don't choose what material they are made from and how it look. From what we know, they adapt and can mimic stuff, but their overall distinct look show how similar they are from each other and there seems to be a logic behind it.

From these distinct point, the colors we always see are dark red, yellowish white, dark gray and blue/cyan energy. These color are visible on 99% of sentient units and weapons, even hybrid Corpus-Sentient weapons. Knowing this, we could assume they are the natural colors of materials sentients are made of, or at least how it turn out when they use it to grow, but there are 2 exeptions :
Hydrolyst which is black/dark gray and green, and Natah which is grayish purple. This is really intersting because these 2 are really differents cases and make the answer even more complicated to find.

My first idea was that each "sentient mind" get it's own color, considering we only encoutered two for now it wouldn't be that surprising. Hunhow would have that red/white/gray/cyan we see on almost all sentient while Natah get her grayish purple, and since we only saw sentients from Hunhow army, all of them were the same color.
Yes, it would work, but the two trailers for the New War we got completely destroy this possibility. The army from Natah (or her mother) in the first trailer feature the same red/while/gray/cyan colors than Hunhow, despite the ship/cave their are in being purple. In the second trailer, we see Natah brother and he got the same colors than Hunhow, we could deduce that sentient keep the color from their ancestors but then, why would Natah be purple ? Since the ship/cave is purple, maybe she took the color from her mother ?

From what is above, the most logical deduction (at least for me) is that male sentients (Hunhow, his son, and all of their units) have the red/white/gray/cyan colors, while female sentients (Natah, her mother and maybe their unit ?) are more purple. This would be weird but we know a lot of animals get significant distinctions from male to female, going from little furr difference to additionnal wings, so why not.

But then, why Hydrolyst is green ? 😧
From there, I have no idea about the logic behind it, maybe there is none ?

• Like 2

It may be something very simple like military units compared to civilian units. Most of the sentients we've seen and that have been experimented on are battle units, while Natah is an infiltrator in "human" form that goes by the call sign lotus (purple being one of the colors of said flower).

As for the Hydrolyst, it probably has nothing to do with anything because it is just one out of three eidolons, all remnants of the same massive sentient iirc.

Well, first, the eidolons came from a dead sentient that attacked the Unum's tower, and was blown up by Gara. Not Natah.

However, you bring up an interesting point... because all the eidolons on the Plains should've come from one Sentient... But Terry is blue, Gary is orange, and Harry is green, while all the Voms are blue like Terry. Most curious.
Probably doesn't mean anything though.

Every Sentient is different is what I understand. Natah is a different type than her mother and Hunhow, therefore she has her own color (also, Lotus). Hunhow and his fragments use a very specific color.

Natah's brother looks more like Hunhow, but has his own twist, while their mother has red energy wheras Hunhow uses that blue-ish hue.

You note:

4 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

From these distinct point, the colors we always see are dark red, yellowish white, dark gray and blue/cyan energy.

If you take a close look, you'll notice most Sentients we've fought are Hunhow's own fragments. DE is only starting to explore others.

TL;DR: To differentiate each Sentient and their fragments.

Edited by NightmareT12
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

But then, why Hydrolyst is green ? 😧
From there, I have no idea about the logic behind it, maybe there is none ?

The same reason generic Grineer are green, Mars Grineer are tan, Kuva Grineer are black, etc. Sub-factions just happen to have lots of different colors

Il y a 10 heures, NightmareT12 a dit :

TL;DR: To differentiate each Sentient and their fragments.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but as I mentionned, the army of Natah (or her mother) we see on the first New War trailer still have the same colors. So unless this army is full of stolen sentient fragments from hunhow, they should all be purple like Natah.

Il y a 12 heures, SneakyErvin a dit :

It may be something very simple like military units compared to civilian units. Most of the sentients we've seen and that have been experimented on are battle units, while Natah is an infiltrator in "human" form that goes by the call sign lotus (purple being one of the colors of said flower).

As for the Hydrolyst, it probably has nothing to do with anything because it is just one out of three eidolons, all remnants of the same massive sentient iirc.

Oh, this sound really accurate, this would explain why we see so much of the red/white/gray/blue and only a few of other colors.
This still doesn't explain why Gantulyst/Hydrolyst are colored differently, but considering how big was the old war, maybe they were civilian units forced to fight ?

Just now, lukinu_u said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but as I mentionned, the army of Natah (or her mother) we see on the first New War trailer still have the same colors. So unless this army is full of stolen sentient fragments from hunhow, they should all be purple like Natah.

Yeah, I was thinking about that after answering too. But perhaps they'll talk more about it in the New War. It's also true that seeing the Sentient tileset a few colors seem to remain the usual ones as well.

The Sentients are all, shock horror, sentient. Their adaptive abilities mean that they can form any shape they want, so really it's probably fashion.

Honestly I don't like the looks of Harry and Garry. If they came from the same sentient they should be the same colour as Terry with different physical appearances. But that would have taken too long to make so oh well.

• Like 1

Oculists are saturated blue, corroded remains of Hunhow's body are reddish turning grey, Natah's body is black and purple, drones mostly colored in shades of red, black and white, Sentient remains on the Plains are greenish-grey, Vomvalysts are red and dark-blue becoming light-blue in their ghost form.

What makes it so strange for you that the Hidrolysts are black and green?

It seems to me that the color of their armour is changing (much like copper for some reason) depending on how long they have remained in contact with corroding agents like water, soil, air, or in the case with Hydrolyst both water and electricity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

Oh, this sound really accurate, this would explain why we see so much of the red/white/gray/blue and only a few of other colors.
This still doesn't explain why Gantulyst/Hydrolyst are colored differently, but considering how big was the old war, maybe they were civilian units forced to fight ?

The gantu and hydro are parts of the same sentient, so I'd guess they just come from different structural parts of it, probably something to do with its weapons arsenal, which would explain why all 3 eidolons have different attacks and energy colors aswell.

Il y a 5 heures, ant99999 a dit :

Oculists are saturated blue, corroded remains of Hunhow's body are reddish turning grey, Natah's body is black and purple, drones mostly colored in shades of red, black and white, Sentient remains on the Plains are greenish-grey, Vomvalysts are red and dark-blue becoming light-blue in their ghost form.

What makes it so strange for you that the Hidrolysts are black and green?

It seems to me that the color of their armour is changing (much like copper for some reason) depending on how long they have remained in contact with corroding agents like water, soil, air, or in the case with Hydrolyst both water and electricity.

Occulysts and Vomvalyst blue are just blue sentient energy, and corroded remains of Hunhow looks to be the usual red/white/gray, but dessaturated.
Natah and the Teralyst variants are really the only ones featuring different colors.

47 минут назад, lukinu_u сказал:

Occulysts and Vomvalyst blue are just blue sentient energy, and corroded remains of Hunhow looks to be the usual red/white/gray, but dessaturated.
Natah and the Teralyst variants are really the only ones featuring different colors.

The bodies of Vomvalysts also seem to be bluish in color. This as well as Hydrolyst's armour colour can be the result of the same process that caused the Sentient remains to desaturate, suggesting that they spent the most amount of time under the water.

Also there is no specific color for Sentient energy even ignoring the Eidolons.

For example Battalysts have violet sparks on their cannons and fire white plasma balls. Conculists create tornadoes shining yellow. Hunhow's armour he gave to the Stalker glows light-blue, as well as his other fragment - the War.

Natah and her fragments also do not share a common energy color. Lights on Natah's body are cyan, her arm cannon fires a purple beam, yet the mimics created by her fire yellow beams.

Although this may or may not be a legit arguement, Limbo Limina skin has an unusual aquamarine glow, yet it is uncertain what is the origin of his skin.

Let's also not forget that unlike Natah and Hunhow, Eidolons do not posess a singular mind controlling them, as it was destroyed by the Unum tower and Gara. This means their differenses in colouring may be the product of their own will, which explains why they are so different.

So to be honest, we don't know much about how Sentient colouring works, but the case with Hydrolyst, although strange, doesn't deviate that much from other Sentients.

• Like 1