Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Slots aren't appropriate anymore.

Adam-De-Locke

Warframe, Weapon, Companion, Archwing, and Archweapons slots made sense years ago when there weren't a lot of these in the game when there was only a small handful of guns and barely a few Warframes representative of their team roles... But it's currently 2019 and we have way too many of any of those things to need to spend platinum on slots. Currently, we have:

42 Warframes, 78 Primaries, 72 Secondaries, 116 Melees, 4 Archwings, 17 Archwing Weapons, 10 Pet Companions, 9 Robotic Companions, and 12 Robotic Guns.

And that's before you count variants and the modular weapons. Now, I'm not saying every single player is gonna wanna collect and hold every single Warframe but when you have a game that encourages you to keep Warframes so you have different playstyles and tools to tackle different missions and problems, it's counterproductive to give only 3 Warframe slots at the start and have them spend 840 platinum for the rest. And there are plenty of weapons that are straight up mastery fodder like the MK1 Weapons and the Kraken but even factoring that, we're still looking at enough weapons that'd need a small fortune quantifying over a 1000 platinum to buy all the slots to hold them all. And that number can shift depending on their view of the meta is. It makes sense for Configs and Loadouts to have slots because those don't really impact the game that much. Riven Mods slots are more complicated to think about because of their rarity and the desirability change from player to player and depending on if riven dispositions shift with buffs and nerfs. But you get my point.

This needs to change. Now more than ever considering this problem is only gonna get more and more apparent as time goes on with every single update that brings new Weapons and Warframes.

Edit 1: I just realized that I made this post and forgot to propose possible compromises that would help this problem than just ripping the band-aid off. And to clarify something, this is without a doubt a problem that negatively effects new players more than veterans like me that know the meta and that know how to trade and etc. That doesn't make it any less of a problem.

If DE are set on not taking out the Warframe and Weapon slots for whatever reason, the least I'd ask for is more opportunities to get them through gameplay that are both accessible by New Players and Veterans. And I don't just mean as one of the rank rewards for Nightwave because at the rate that Nightwaves are being made, we'd only get 4-6 Nightwaves in a single year including Intermissions. 8-12 Weapon Slots and 4-6 Warframe Slots isn't gonna mean anything at that rate considering they release at least 4 Warframes a year and at least 2 weapons for each of those Warframes (Not including Non-Warframe Themed Tenno Reinforcements and Prime Access). The best I could think of is moving the slots from the Ranks to a purchasable reward for Nightwave Creds. Again, compromise. Not a definite fix. Or just give us a Warframe and 2 Weapon slots every time we raise our MR.

Edit 2: And to those that are going to respond to this post with "But DE need to pay their workers", think about it like this...

When Warframe first came out, it was the only thing that was keeping the lights on at DE according to the Devs... So, again, slots made sense when it first came out. But that too has changed drastically. With the inclusion of Cosmetics and Prime Access and TennoCon, the game has other ways the Devs can make money from this game. And in ways vastly superior than having the player pay for slots. If DE remove slots, it's not gonna impact their revenue at all.

Edited by Adam-De-Locke

seeing as how the game is giving away Slots nowadays, don't expect anything to become any different.

doing away with Slots would also reduce the Timers/Timegating involved with some part of the game, and there are but a single handful of instances where that has ever happened in the history of the game. more often is reskinning that Timer to look like something else but still restricting you to the Clock in one way or another in... basically the same way anyways.

Im actually overflowing with empty slots.. especially warframe slots. Long term loyal player problems i guess 😕 its not like im trying to get rid of them either. im keeping non primed stuff lol.

I'd rather see a change in things like orokin catalysts, exilus, reactors, forma costs than slots.

The only thing that needs a bit of adjustment are the starting slots. 

From the start you have slots for 2 Warframes, 8 weapons (primary, secondary and melee), 8 Sentinels or their weapons and 2 Kubrows.

https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203733700-Foundry-Crafting-FAQ-

2 Warframe slots aren't cutting it anymore. And 8 weapon slots aren't that great either. 

An idea I had that would be great for new players is for every time you rank up, you get 1 free warframe slot and 2 free weapon slots. It might not be enough, but it would help.
(this in addition to doing away with the absolutely terrible daily standing caps you get before higher mastery ranks, but that's besides the topic at hand.)

30 minutes ago, Syasob said:

Inb4 someone suggest you just go trade for platinum.

Also 2000 plat = 100$. If it's too much and you don't want to trade... Well, there're some free slots in NW rewards.

Yes, a whopping 2 Weapon Slots and 1 Warframe slot in each Nightwave Event and we've only had 4 Nightwaves this year if you include Intermission. And to be honest, trading or slots aren't that much of a problem for me but this problem is more impactful towards those that are new to the game.

Edited by Adam-De-Locke
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Eh, while I'm not excaly low on slots, it is something that needs to be looked into it, due to new players and all. Just seems a player-trap to me (I an't explaining why, it's quite clear why)

But given how free some slots can be, eh it's a issue that has two side coins

We don't need a lot of warframe slots because most people don't run 15 war frames. I'd rather avoid the warframe quests entirely. I can see a need for more warframe slots, but I'm pretty sure you get one free each time you rank up in MR, no...?

I'm content running a single frame because I focus more on visuals (which is why I'd love to see a FP option). All that "freeness" they're giving away could be put somewhere else where players actually use it. I'd like to see them implement a better way of getting orokin reactors, catalysts, corpus stuff, etc, by discovering it in-mission through hackable computers hidden away, hidden rooms, etc.

1 hour ago, TwoWolves said:

We don't need a lot of warframe slots because most people don't run 15 war frames. I'd rather avoid the warframe quests entirely. I can see a need for more warframe slots, but I'm pretty sure you get one free each time you rank up in MR, no...?

I can't remaber, been so long lol

15 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

(winds up the record player)

This is a game you can play for free, but they have employees to pay. It's a fair tradeoff, especially since you are even able to trade for plat from players that have bought some.

There ya go @Syasob

Well, here's the thing... Considering the monetization of a lot of other stuff like Cosmetics, Prime Access, TennoCon Revenue, etc, getting rid of Slots isn't gonna impact their income at all.

On 2019-11-28 at 4:04 AM, trndr said:

Considering slots aren't that expensive, and DE have to pay for storage, the current system is fine.

Collecting all the things is purely optional, even if I do it. 

Especially when Slots are "inexpensive" and "players trade for platinum anyway instead of buying platinum", then it wouldn't impact DE at all.

The point I'm saying is that although "collecting all things" is "purely optional", it's still punishing for new players to get even a fraction of "the best gear in the game" because slots for weapons and warframes are from a time when we had 8 Warframe and the Soma and a Polearm were the only weapons to get. Now, we have a meta that expands over 50 guns (even more if you include rivens, builds, and warframe synergies) and Dozens of Warframes that you really need to have for optimal gameplay and alternative mission types like Eidolon/Orb Hunting, Arbitrations, Sorties, etc. And similarly, it was a time where paying for platinum was the only thing keeping the lights on at DE but now they have a lot other ways that they've monetized the game that make the revenue coming in from people buying slots alone look like a sock full of nickles.

Even throwing the concept of the meta out the window, do you really want new players to be stuck with 3 warframes and 8 weapons when there's almost 50 Warframe and 200 Weapon to get that - AT THE VERY LEAST - really REALLY interesting in design and/or concept? And then that new player learning that they have to grind for the inventory space to then have space for the warframes and weapons they want that they then need to grind for? It just seems like an unnecessary grind stacked on top of the necessary grind that will both discourage new players from continuing to play as well as annoy veteran players that they have to spend more plat just to accommodate the new warframe/weapons that come out.

Edited by Adam-De-Locke

On 2019-11-28 at 7:58 AM, TwoWolves said:

I'm content running a single frame because I focus more on visuals (which is why I'd love to see a FP option). All that "freeness" they're giving away could be put somewhere else where players actually use it. I'd like to see them implement a better way of getting orokin reactors, catalysts, corpus stuff, etc, by discovering it in-mission through hackable computers hidden away, hidden rooms, etc.

First off, no. You don't get free Warframe or Weapon slots for ranking up MR. You get Loadout Slots which aren't as in demand.

Secondly, just because you're content with running a single frame doesn't mean everyone else is.

And just because someone asks for slots for warframes and weapons to be free or at the very least a lot more accessible to get so that the players that don't run single frames don't have to go on separate unnecessary grindfests to even have the inventory space for those warframes and weapons, doesn't mean we can't have better ways to get other stuff like you're suggesting as well.

Edited by Adam-De-Locke
  • Like 1

I started at around a week or two after The Emissary Nightwave event.

I've never really felt the need to buy platinum because it only takes a few Relic runs to make enough platinum through trading to get whatever slot you need...and the same could be said for potatoes. I did, however, purchase Wisp within my first week of playing...because she fits my play style to the letter...and I use her 99.9% of the time.

• I've been in groups that have defeated all three Eidolons.
  • I've been in a group who, on a whim, decided to take down the Exploiter Orb. (Awesome Fight.)
  • I've typically got Prime frames before I've gotten their normal counter-part...which kinda amuses me.

I'm generally a very free-based player who doesn't spend money on games beyond an initial purchasing price, for those that require such. I've only spent money on three free-to-play games, Planetside 2, Warframe, and Crossout. That latter was purely off Twisted Metal nostalgia tainting my better judgement.

There's really zero issue with Warframe's current setup and I don't know why anyone would have any issues with it...which is why I was comfortable enough to actually purchase Wisp, instead of wait till I could obtain her naturally. The only reason I'm not playing Planetside 2 is because I'm on a satellite connection...but that's besides the point. The economy in Warframe makes it pretty easy to get what you want within a relatively decent amount of time, unless it's vanity-related....which is to be expected. Hell, I purchased the Gauss collection so that I could get the Acceltra by selling an Acceltra riven........how's that for arse-backwards?

Just recently, I got the Dual Kama Prime through trading for plat and then purchasing it from players.

Things take time, but really...you can make plat fairly quickly in this game and shouldn't have issues with slots and the like. I'm currently saving for the Kuva Lich collection just so I can gain access to all those color palletes.

33 minutes ago, TenebraeAeterna said:

I started at around a week or two after The Emissary Nightwave event.

I've never really felt the need to buy platinum because it only takes a few Relic runs to make enough platinum through trading to get whatever slot you need...and the same could be said for potatoes. I did, however, purchase Wisp within my first week of playing...because she fits my play style to the letter...and I use her 99.9% of the time.

• I've been in groups that have defeated all three Eidolons.
  • I've been in a group who, on a whim, decided to take down the Exploiter Orb. (Awesome Fight.)
  • I've typically got Prime frames before I've gotten their normal counter-part...which kinda amuses me.

I'm generally a very free-based player who doesn't spend money on games beyond an initial purchasing price, for those that require such. I've only spent money on three free-to-play games, Planetside 2, Warframe, and Crossout. That latter was purely off Twisted Metal nostalgia tainting my better judgement.

There's really zero issue with Warframe's current setup and I don't know why anyone would have any issues with it...which is why I was comfortable enough to actually purchase Wisp, instead of wait till I could obtain her naturally. The only reason I'm not playing Planetside 2 is because I'm on a satellite connection...but that's besides the point. The economy in Warframe makes it pretty easy to get what you want within a relatively decent amount of time, unless it's vanity-related....which is to be expected. Hell, I purchased the Gauss collection so that I could get the Acceltra by selling an Acceltra riven........how's that for arse-backwards?

Just recently, I got the Dual Kama Prime through trading for plat and then purchasing it from players.

Things take time, but really...you can make plat fairly quickly in this game and shouldn't have issues with slots and the like. I'm currently saving for the Kuva Lich collection just so I can gain access to all those color palletes.

You pretty much just made my point. To veterans, slots are an annoyance at worst because we already know the ins and outs of the system to the point where slots are insignificant. So why have slots as a purchasable thing in the first place and just make storage infinite? And don't say "to fund DE" because with Prime Access, TennoCon, Cosmetics and TennoGen and etc, removing slots isn't gonna impact their revenue. To new players, slots are an unnecessary road blocks that interferes with their enjoyment of the game and can make them think that Warframe is pay to win when we have a lot of Warframes and Weapons that are part of the meta.

I was talking about how slots were okay when we only had 8 Warframes and the Soma and Polearm Helicopter but now we have over 50 Warframes and over 250 Weapons so it's a lot more of a hassle. And again, I address the "Players can stick to one Warframe" thing by saying that Warframe is a game that encourages you to have multiple playstyles to solve problems.

Edited by Adam-De-Locke

14 minutes ago, Adam-De-Locke said:

You pretty much just made my point. To veterans, slots are an annoyance at worst because we already know the ins and outs of the system to the point where slots are insignificant.

You consider me a veteran?

I started a week or two after The Emissary, I'm pretty new...not even a year old yet.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Hobie-wan:

This is a game you can play for free, but they have employees to pay.

They made 90+ mio profit on 250 mio revenu last year ... they could handle some free slots 😉 

Edited by k05h
found a typo

24 minutes ago, TenebraeAeterna said:

You consider me a veteran?

I started a week or two after The Emissary, I'm pretty new...not even a year old yet.

Well, sorry. No. But you do know the basics of trading. But the point I've made still stands about how this slots impact new players the most and if people that know how to trade see slots as barely a problem. So why not just remove slots if they're not an issue and removing them won't impact DE's revenue considering Prime Access, TennoCon, Cosmetics, and etc?

Or #*!%, even the simple change of giving you a warframe and 2 weapon slots whenever you raise your MR would be nice.

Edited by Adam-De-Locke

5 minutes ago, Adam-De-Locke said:

Well, sorry. No. But you do know the basics of trading. But the point I've made still stands about how this slots impact new players the most and if people that know how to trade see slots as barely a problem. So why not just remove slots if they're not an issue and removing them won't impact DE's revenue considering Prime Access, TennoCon, Cosmetics, and etc?

No need to be sorry, I was speaking from the perspective of a relatively new player...so I was a bit confused when it seemed like you were alluding to me being a veteran.

When I initially began playing the game, I thought that slots and the like may ultimately end up being an issue...but all it took was a quick Google search to understand the economy. It's not some massive hurdle nor something that's too terribly off-putting because by the time I needed more slots...I had already discovered how easy it was to get into the market. It, quite literally, took me longer to figure out that Vox Solaris wasn't actually low-end content than it did for me to figure out how to make platinum.

As for why you wouldn't want to remove this system, they're still a platinum sink that impacts the economy. As silly as it sounds for me to say this, as a free-based player, if I'm not purchasing slots...then I'm going to be using that platinum purely on vanity items. That's great for me, as I'll be spending my plat on more vanity items. Eventually, however, I'm going to have what I want...and then I'll be waiting for additional items to be released, but in that time...I'm not likely to be farming items that people with platinum buy.

Those platinum sinks are gone, I don't have to anymore.

How significant an impact that would be on the overall economy, and development, is anyone's guess...but little sinks like these are necessary for a healthy economy, even if it seems very counterintuitive for me to say that. When I say development, if those sinks aren't in place...then revenue is purely driven by cosmetics. That's always an excellent system, but cosmetics take time to curate, in the case of Tennogen that I don't even have access to because I'm not using Steam, or to create in-house.

So, ultimately, my stance here is that if it's not broke, there's no need to fix it. The system is pretty damn good as is, and I wouldn't fault the development team if they think that potatoes and slots are a needed sink to avoid the issues I expressed above and, potentially, a quicker burn-out on the game...as there's yet to be any content I'd really consider excitingly re-playable near end-game. Like people joke about, fashion-frame is end-game and the team still seems to be fleshing out ideas on how to progress forward and give people something that keeps them extremely engaged when they've pretty much done everything else.

The faster people get there, the faster they need that content, the more likely that is to be rushed and subpar.

Look at the Lich system.

When I joined Warframe, the community was pretty damn welcoming and friendly, much akin to Planetside 2. I joined groups as a newbie who were fighting Eidolons by pure accident and they told me to stay and just hang back, even though I was literally a hindrance. Fast-forward to the Lich system and the way it's implemented, which is splitting people into two demographics that have fundamentally different views on how to approach the entire system. The only other time I've had conflict in this game was when screwing up a Spy mission in a Sortie. ...but with the Lich system as it's currently implemented, how many threads did that produce out of pure spite?

While I may be wrong, I suspect that this may have been a rush to give people a teaser towards the entire system...and in their haste, they didn't fully think things through and predict that these issues may spring up...and that's not even getting into the weird lore implications after the band-aid fixes, but that's an entirely different situation.

I digress though, point is that more people reaching end-game faster means more people getting overly anxious for new content...which puts more pressure on them to deliver that content as soon as humanly possible. The game needs some very engaging, but slow, progression. I've gone through, I think, seven liches and most of them were within the first week or so of release...then I got burnt out on it because:

• A: The Liches have two personalities.
  • B: The entire system can be completed in a day.

They need to make the nemesis system a true nemesis system that's stretched out over a series of stages all leading up to a big climax...something you spend time on, something that keeps you hooked...but you know won't be finished within a day if you just grind it out. It should be something that takes an overarching presence for quite some time, something that's a thorn in your side for a pretty nice duration of time leading up to that final, sweet, moment that you go after that entity that's been causing you so much stress.

...but again though, I'm ranting and drifting from the topic.

Time sinks are needed in a game like this, at least until there's more engaging end-game content. Lot of potential in Warframe, but that potential isn't yet reached.