Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The MR9 test is one of the biggest player bleeders in the game

Crusher4881

Warframe's player count would probably be much higher if they replaced the MR9 test with something more feasible to accomplish. Yes, it's possible to cheese it with thrown melee, wisp, skiajati, or all manner of shenanigans, and at least theoretically possible to beat without cheese, but it's still a nasty roadblock to new players that causes many of them to quit the game.

Gatekeeping a few top-tier weapons or mods behind difficult content is annoying, but ultimately acceptable, especially since generally difficulty means coming back with a better build. But here, it's about half of the high-end weapons gated behind a stealth challenge that is entirely inappropriate for the game. Normally, if stealth is needed, the player utilizes either A: their operator's void mode, or B: a warframe with a stealth ability. But here, all abilities and the operator are disabled.

The game would have a significantly higher playerbase if the MR9 test was replaced with something more appropriate for the modern state of the game, such as a spy vault test. Then, players wouldn't be getting roadblocked and quitting at MR8 before being able to experience much of the game's content.

• Like 1

Well, it wouldn't be so bad if they were to roll it back to the way it used to be.  Now the enemy can basically spot you clear across the map, essentially failing the test.  It used to be ok as their sight line wasn't near as far as it is now.  I had a hard time getting through mine, i 'cheesed' mine to get it done cause i was about to throw controller through TV cause i was so frustrated, a stealth mission that you can't use your actual stealth abilities on, wtf?!  Unfortunately, there's another way later on that is pretty much the same way, but with a bit added into it*coughmr19cough*.  Best of luck, and may favor be always on your side, Tenno.

• Like 1

I doubt this is such a huge problem. Even if it's still true at its core. It seems that MR9, while not impossible, presents new players too wide of a gap in regards to both previous and next MR tests.

Which is why I believe, 100% guaranteed afaik, that DE will eventually handle it. For those having trouble, for now, just look up updted ways of cheesing it. Pass it, and forget it forever. Because it may take some tim for DE to take action.

I'd even hope that they rework stealth itself rather than just tweaking that test, but that seems unlikely as of now.

6 hours ago, Crusher4881 said:

Warframe's player count would probably be much higher if they replaced the MR9 test with something more feasible to accomplish. Yes, it's possible to cheese it with thrown melee, wisp, skiajati, or all manner of shenanigans, and at least theoretically possible to beat without cheese, but it's still a nasty roadblock to new players that causes many of them to quit the game.

Gatekeeping a few top-tier weapons or mods behind difficult content is annoying, but ultimately acceptable, especially since generally difficulty means coming back with a better build. But here, it's about half of the high-end weapons gated behind a stealth challenge that is entirely inappropriate for the game. Normally, if stealth is needed, the player utilizes either A: their operator's void mode, or B: a warframe with a stealth ability. But here, all abilities and the operator are disabled.

The game would have a significantly higher playerbase if the MR9 test was replaced with something more appropriate for the modern state of the game, such as a spy vault test. Then, players wouldn't be getting roadblocked and quitting at MR8 before being able to experience much of the game's content.

This is quite a claim, haha.

I literally cannot speak for others (who can?), but I’m actually stuck on the rank 9 test at the moment. After all the levelling I’ve done while stuck, I wouldn’t be surprised if I’d jump straight into qualification for MR 10 once I pass 9’s.

I find it pretty hard, frustratingly-so sometimes, but I’m one of the ones who ended up with the same choice as those you claim to have quit because of the test, and am still facing that choice to this moment, and for reasons I decide to not quit because of the MR 9 test. I’ll knock it out eventually.

The animal floofs I’ve started collecting figure in to those reasons. Did you know they’re really cute?

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
  • Like 2

Yeah, so I don't really remember any updates to enemies vision, but I got addicted to solo due to the stealth factor that a good bow and location awareness was absolutely possible and fun.

But something definitely happened because they randomly decide to spot you from ridiculous distances, its not 100% of the time, and later game maps mob up enemies and the idle looking at each other.... 

This ninja factor is what the game is built on but apparently was abandoned.

2 minutes ago, Corvette590 said:

The mr9 test is very frustrating- I failed that one a lot. My advice is to just look up some videos on how to do it. Furthermore, mr tests do get worse from here .

I'm MR12 right now, and from what I've heard, the MR19 test is the only other absurdly difficult test, and, you guessed it, it's also a stealth test.

Protip for anyone struggling: Unless they changed it, I'm pretty sure you can go wisp and kill all the enemies with bullet jump damage while remaining invisible for the entire test due to her passive. Not the method I used, and wisp is pretty expensive, but it's a guaranteed success, and it's possible to get before MR9.

@Crusher4881:

I am MR 18 atm, and I am not looking forward to the mr19 test. I've had tech issues lately, so I can't get onto warframe(computer broke- bought a new one- that didn't work-sent it back- got a refund- bought a different one-waiting for it to show up). Also, don't forget the falling platform one, and all mr tests can be practiced in the simaris room in the relay. 

Just now, Corvette590 said:

@Crusher4881:

I am MR 18 atm, and I am not looking forward to the mr19 test. I've had tech issues lately, so I can't get onto warframe(computer broke- bought a new one- that didn't work-sent it back- got a refund- bought a different one-waiting for it to show up). Also, don't forget the falling platform one, and all mr tests can be practiced in the simaris room in the relay. 

The falling platform test isn't a significant challenge if you're good at bullet jump and aim glide. It's not effortless, but it's reasonably possible to beat on the first attempt with an average loadout.

5 minutes ago, GerberaOverture said:

if some dumb mastery test is "causing people to quit" then they wouldnt survive warframe - a game about adaptability, a game about being flexible with your arsenal and using everything you can get your hands on in proper situations 

natural selection

People quit because they get frustrated with the games systems, and the fact that it doesn't explain anything.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, GerberaOverture said:

if some dumb mastery test is "causing people to quit" then they wouldnt survive warframe - a game about adaptability, a game about being flexible with your arsenal and using everything you can get your hands on in proper situations 

natural selection

Then why shouldn't we enable abilities in the MR9 test, so that players having trouble with it can build the appropriate stealth warframes to adapt and deal with the test?

There's plenty of reason why someone would quit because of the MR9 test but wouldn't quit in the rest of the game, and most of them boil down to having many reasonable options to deal with other challenges.

Edited by Crusher4881
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Crusher4881 said:

and at least theoretically possible to beat without cheese

Not theoretically. It's completely possible without cheese (done it with a hammer), but DE screwed things up with stealth tests in Gauss update and they are significantly harder now.

People already complained about both these tests before that update, but now it's even worse and these tests don't match the difficulty of your average MR test anymore.

• Like 1

Okay I just finish this mastery test a few minutes ago. Biggest issue I think most people had is they tend to go for the stealth kill. It is not neccessary, just melee the bastards. Second issue I ran into is the pathing of the bastards with their field of vision. It's generous, I fly pass with bullet jump and miss my melee strike a few times without failing the test. My guess is most people fail it because they're impatient. One can sit behind a pillar for 10 minutes away from the AI routes without failing the test.
I fail to see why this particular test needs changes. Is it trial and error? Sure is. Is it a grindy type of trial and error? Nope! Depends on how fast a players learn their mistakes.

Bold claim without being a DE employee and have access to statistics. I'm just skeptical anyone else would know where players mostly stop playing. 

You are just upset with a certain part of the game. Cheesing was a big irk for me too in the beginning, but doesn't bother me now. I see it as a niche gameplay style. It is good to have niches and variety. I think it is inherent in how DE designs content. Railjack, liches, eso, arbitrations, nightmare, fissures, syndicates, etc, are all niches and island designed content. 

• Like 1

I have tried it several times after hearing the tales and I have to say it is quite inconsistent, right now enemies in regular nodes take a bit to spot and react to you but enemies in the mastery test seem to have the PoE omniscience setting instead.

I don't even remember what the mr9 test was back in stamina bar days...like if it changed or not...

But I know all enemies for whatever reason gained eagle eyes after some update for plains...can see that being a big pain, especially for newer players.