The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mecha suits : Archwing 2.0 ?

White_Matter

We were pretty hyped when Archwing was first introduced. We all know what happened since then. Frame gameplay is so much more interesting and more critical, that playing with Archwing felt like a redundant game mechanic, and even with the introduction of open worlds, they served nothing more than a taxi to go from point A to B. 

I get a feeling that the new Mecha suits will end up pretty much the same. You'll take it for a spin once or twice, and then you'll go back to pressing 4 to nuke the entire map. 

Thoughts on this ?

Honestly I just see the mech suits as another 'bolted on' mechanic that isn't really needed and/or takes us away from 'warframes' again, you know these 'uber killing machines' that we're supposed to be controlling.... I'm fully expecting 'forced' usage when the enemies are in their blue phase just to make out there was a reason for their addition, same thing was done with operators where they had missions/bosses which shoehorned their usage in.

3 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

Don't go around saying "muh mech bad" until you tried it.

That's not how it works.

We're allowed to speculate on potential downsides in the hopes DE addresses it before release.

---

In response to the OP: Considering the mechs appear to be exclusive to Deimos, I don't expect it to be anywhere near similar to Archwings. It'll be a fun little gimmick that might be important to fight monsters with, but it won't be used for anything outside the open world.

35 minutes ago, White_Matter said:

We were pretty hyped when Archwing was first introduced. We all know what happened since then. Frame gameplay is so much more interesting and more critical, that playing with Archwing felt like a redundant game mechanic, and even with the introduction of open worlds, they served nothing more than a taxi to go from point A to B. 

I get a feeling that the new Mecha suits will end up pretty much the same. You'll take it for a spin once or twice, and then you'll go back to pressing 4 to nuke the entire map. 

Thoughts on this ?

It depends on how it's utilized and what circumstances require it's use, if any. You have to ask yourself, "what does the mech-suit bring to the table compared to what we already have?"

• Mobility? No, not really. K-drives were meant to be a fun way to cross the open worlds but they never caught on because Archwings are just objectively better taxis, Itzal most of all prior to universal blink. Why ride your board around the mountain when you can just fly over it? No, the mechs wont displace Archwings for mobility.
  • Horde fighting? Maybe. The demo seemed to show that as a use, but we have to ask ourselves how much more useful is the mech over a straight nuke frame? We can't answer that right now because we dont know how tanky the new enemy units are, since Rebb had the UI turned off and we couldn't see how much damage was being dished out (on both sides). It might be a situation where, en-masse, the infested are too strong/numerous for a nuke-frame to deal with, so we have to call in our mech-suit for some heavier firepower and additional survivability. Or, there might be certain phases where the horde has significant damage reduction to Warframe powers, and regular weapons become meaningless. Basically, there could be a rolling phase where you have to use the mech suit instead of your normal stuff, much like you have to use spoilermode to fight the Eidolons.
  • Boss-breaking? This is a possibility. Those two worms are absolutely, monstrously huge: if we ever have to fight them I cant see how our warframes are going to be much use against them. They look like capital-ship-level threats. Of course, one might argue the Jordas Golem was a capital-ship-level threat and we took archwings against him, so.... yeah.

Or, it could be another "hey wouldn't this be fun?" thing they added that doesn't really have any significant purpose in-game, and will be mostly ignored after the novelty wears off.

Until we know more, we know nothing.

28 minutes ago, Canach said:

I will be happy unless they really are broken - looks fun.  🍺

This. At the end of the day, they're a different way of fighting. So long as they're at least mostly viable, it changes how we approach fighting, and that's something Warframe desperately needs. When I bemoan balance it's because the nuking and the passive gameplay and the CC is soul crushing. I came to Warframe for the action - to be a badass. And, well, if Warframes can't give me that, and Operators themselves can't (please buff, rework or give them new stuff DE), then PvE Titanfall shall have to suffice.

note not an archwing but a mech if it doesn't have wings that means it is not archwing, if it lies for yes it does but it doesn't mean it is suited to be kept in space or move fast enough like an archwing, more of Hawken game where control feel like that way.

1 hour ago, Pizzarugi said:

In response to the OP: Considering the mechs appear to be exclusive to Deimos, I don't expect it to be anywhere near similar to Archwings. It'll be a fun little gimmick that might be important to fight monsters with, but it won't be used for anything outside the open world.

Most likely this. Doubt it's meant to be anywhere near as big of a gameplay element as Archwing. Even if they allowed us use it off of Deimos, it would probably still be limited to Free Roam missions.

Honestly, I think what the Necromech idea is an attempt to do is add something interesting to an area while fulfilling an old promise of allowing Operators to possess and operate old Orokin technology outside of the quest where that happens. If it's successful, who knows, maybe they'll add more stuff we can possess in tilesets.

Just now, ChaoticEdge said:

note not an archwing but a mech if it doesn't have wings that means it is not archwing, if it lies for yes it does but it doesn't mean it is suited to be kept in space or move fast enough like an archwing, more of Hawken game where control feel like that way.

They do have thruster packs, so whilst they can't properly fly around, they can hover about the place and stay in the air for long periods of time.

I'm expecting them to play faintly like titans - slow, but harder-hitting and more durable than your average weapon or frame.

We have confirmation that they'll be the Demos modular and call down in any open world via a few gaming meda outlets moast notable PC Gamer.

I mean they might still be poor, but if they play differently if they serve a different role they could allow a refinement in play style. Build a mech for fighting thumpers and hard targets and a frame for hordes in the plains say?

7 minutes ago, DeccanTraps said:

We have confirmation that they'll be the Demos modular and call down in any open world via a few gaming meda outlets moast notable PC Gamer.

I mean they might still be poor, but if they play differently if they serve a different role they could allow a refinement in play style. Build a mech for fighting thumpers and hard targets and a frame for hordes in the plains say?

One should always put the sauce when doing such claims.

Otherwise the spice won't flow.

mech suits arent meant to just nuke regular enemies, even on tennocon they were purposely used when the enemies in the cambion drift got a difficulty boost, so its for lvl 50-60 PoE bounties and fortuna, and probably for eidolons too so not much nuking, more like severing the strings.

38 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

They do have thruster packs, so whilst they can't properly fly around, they can hover about the place and stay in the air for long periods of time.

I'm expecting them to play faintly like titans - slow, but harder-hitting and more durable than your average weapon or frame.

that is why they aren't suited for space for they more likely be ground heavy tank or that military what you ma call it? oh this here

45e0ba8a9a4d69b0cc07a344431c4f9f.jpg

it is more likely is this picture here for it drives around and just got a gun for an arm...where is my ramming stick that is spiked at the end?

1 minute ago, ChaoticEdge said:

that is why they aren't suited for space for they more likely be ground heavy tank or that military what you ma call it? oh this here

45e0ba8a9a4d69b0cc07a344431c4f9f.jpg

it is more likely is this picture here for it drives around and just got a gun for an arm...where is my ramming stick that is spiked at the end?

They can also turn into some kind of stationary gun emplacement, according to footage from twitter. And I've played enough TF2 engie to know one thing.

If a gun don't work? Use more gun.

Archived