Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What do we want from Warframe going forward?

BouzuJunzo

I was watching a video on YouTube and the topic was (and I'm paraphrasing) are looter shooters worth our time anymore?

In thinking about it, given the current state of content, I'd love to make Warframe worth my time in 2021. So here are a few thoughts on what may make it worth our time and not something that we just pick up and put down anymore.

1. More story-based missions that make the grind feel relevant. (Why am I doing this other than just leveling up? Who is this really for?)

2. Better rewards instead of just replaying the same mission loop over and over again for loot with low drop chances. 

3. In Warframe, cosmetics that actually did something in particular. Being able to slot armor with mods and not just the Warframe, or maybe instead of. Or maybe more slots a la Necramech.

4. My own relevance to the story based on choices. SWTOR showed that my choices DO make a difference in the overall story. It can TOTALLY be done in an online environment.

5. So tired of people screaming about endgame. How about a pleasureable gaming experience? If you listen to a few content creators, they break games down into what amounts to complex Excel formulas involving stats and modifiers. What happened to the days of just enjoying a game for what it was? Today, it's all about endgame. How about adding content that makes you go "Holy crap! There more of this thing I LOVE about this game?! That's AWESOME!" But nope. It's all about how devs can make a game harder. 

Give us a reason to keep coming back besides the occasional Warframe which players may or may not like and the lame weapons that come along with them. As it stands, Orphix Venom was just more of the same. Do this thing 100 times to get the things on this list. While it's mildly story-relevent, it doesn't feel impactful. Please DE, give us something that matters.

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, BouzuJunzo said:

1. More story-based missions that make the grind feel relevant. (Why am I doing this other than just leveling up? Who is this really for?)

More story stuff is inevitable, but, yeah. IMO, DE does way better when they're telling stories as opposed to world-building.

24 minutes ago, BouzuJunzo said:

2. Better rewards instead of just replaying the same mission loop over and over again for loot with low drop chances. 

Frankly this is a bit of a 'nothing' point. 'Better' rewards is incredibly vague and the problem is game-wide.

29 minutes ago, BouzuJunzo said:

3. In Warframe, cosmetics that actually did something in particular. Being able to slot armor with mods and not just the Warframe, or maybe instead of. Or maybe more slots a la Necramech.

No. This is never going to happen. It happened once with Arcane helmets, and to a lesser extent with arcanes, and it has been systematically stripped from the game. Fashion and performance are never going to be linked again.

30 minutes ago, BouzuJunzo said:

4. My own relevance to the story based on choices. SWTOR showed that my choices DO make a difference in the overall story. It can TOTALLY be done in an online environment.

Can be is one thing, is it practical to be is the question. If DE were to add this, it would improve the game - that much isn't in question. But it'd also mean that every cinematic quest they make would need at least two different versions, at the minimum - one for each choice. Possibly more based on how far-reaching it goes. And that's for every quest going forwards. You've effectively taken what's already a pretty hefty workload and promptly doubled it, from one event. Now double that every other branching path, and you can see why that's simply not a viable option.

35 minutes ago, BouzuJunzo said:

5. So tired of people screaming about endgame. How about a pleasureable gaming experience? If you listen to a few content creators, they break games down into what amounts to complex Excel formulas involving stats and modifiers. What happened to the days of just enjoying a game for what it was? Today, it's all about endgame. How about adding content that makes you go "Holy crap! There more of this thing I LOVE about this game?! That's AWESOME!" But nope. It's all about how devs can make a game harder. 

Who are you to tell people that problem solving, build crafting and loadout optimisation shouldn't be what they love about this game?

24 minutes ago, BouzuJunzo said:

How about adding content that makes you go "Holy crap! There more of this thing I LOVE about this game?! That's AWESOME!"

Give us a reason to keep coming back besides the occasional Warframe which players may or may not like and the lame weapons that come along with them. ... Please DE, give us something that matters.

I think that's what the endgame people want... Endgame isn't "make Warframe into Dank Souls", endgame is "I want something to do with all this gear". For some that's challenging content, but for others its constructive, competitive, or community content.

But to answer the question in your OP, I'd be happy if we just get another update like Deimos. Deimos had the same teething issues like always, but as a whole it felt really focused and the quality was really high. It felt like everyone at DE was on the same page for once and that they actually learned something from PoE and Fortuna's lackluster releases. Something of that quality for Railjack with a new gameplay loop to work on would be nice, like idk active Sentient Invasions or something.

53 minutes ago, BouzuJunzo said:

I was watching a video on YouTube and the topic was (and I'm paraphrasing) are looter shooters worth our time anymore?

In thinking about it, given the current state of content, I'd love to make Warframe worth my time in 2021. So here are a few thoughts on what may make it worth our time and not something that we just pick up and put down anymore.

Give us a reason to keep coming back besides the occasional Warframe which players may or may not like and the lame weapons that come along with them. As it stands, Orphix Venom was just more of the same. Do this thing 100 times to get the things on this list. While it's mildly story-relevent, it doesn't feel impactful. Please DE, give us something that matters.

Thanks.

1.  Yes this goes without saying and while it's been a major sore spot of late. They are aware of our constant wish to push the story foward. I mean it's legit been over 1,000 days since the last major point from Lotus.

2. Again this goes without saying but also remember grinders are grinders for a reason. Just be glad we are not as bad as alot of the others. Although DE could pick up a pity system in their grinds but thats another issue we have raised for years with no luck.

3. Yep agreed we call them upgradeable cosmetics. You see them in other games where you start as tier 1 then x kills makes it tier 2 then x kills tier 3 then resets after x amount of time. We have something like it in Conclave but it's a dead mode that we cannot even earn rep in thanks to a single whiner on twitter.

4. Yep it can infact still waiting for any of the choices so far to do anything.

5. I disagree alot here bro, sorry but what your talking is wrong. The reason why we are pushing for harder content and more balances over new content is to stop an issue thats been rising over the years. Warframe has become a joke among games where it's known that getting to level cap is a matter of time not difficulty. Where even level 1000+ mobs stand zero chance against even our weakest builds.

So yea....DE is slow to get main stories out. I was blown away by second dream and war within like everyone else. 

My hope is that they're waiting George Lucas style, for more tech and space to work to actually give us a crazy main story experience that blows us away like the past 2 main story missions. 

No one expected covid, though, it sucks, but I at least have faith the next major storyline and Duviri are gonna be freaking amazing. 

I play this game for my operator and really wanna see my "janky space kid" rise to fruition!

Necramechs on Railjack maps.

I'm thinking weird gravitational anomaly asteroids that let the mechs "stand" on Mario Galaxy size asteroids and they shoot their weapon(s) from there. Probably not the best thing (considering the armor protection of Proxima enemies), but summoning a mech + Railjack stuff + Archwing stuff would be nice.

On 2021-01-07 at 3:12 AM, BouzuJunzo said:

Better rewards instead of just replaying the same mission loop over and over again for loot with low drop chances. 

I'm actually against this one specifically... If only because it's impossible to satisfy people with rewards.

I'd rather they focus removing any tedium from the activities so that even if the rewards suck it's still a good time.

On 2021-01-07 at 3:12 AM, BouzuJunzo said:

So tired of people screaming about endgame. How about a pleasureable gaming experience? If you listen to a few content creators, they break games down into what amounts to complex Excel formulas involving stats and modifiers. What happened to the days of just enjoying a game for what it was? Today, it's all about endgame. How about adding content that makes you go "Holy crap! There more of this thing I LOVE about this game?! That's AWESOME!" But nope. It's all about how devs can make a game harder. 

Oh so you noticed it too... I thought It was just me that got the feeling that the basis for slot of Warframe's design Decisions is driven almost entirely by Metrics.

What do I want?

• Bug fixes.
  • Polished content.
  • Content that actually works upon release, or at the very least content that looks like it's gone through basic testing by one person rather than no testing whatsoever.
  • Elimination of content islands. Merge Railjack into everything else — but make sure it actually works properly first.

What I want:
- HUGE balance work (come on! how many weapons are there? 200? 300? 500? only 20-30 are actually good, maybe 50 more are mediocre and the rest are so way behind just because of stats.. they may have cool mechanics, awesome look, but so ineffective, they are just abandoned and that's a shame)
- A step away from horde shooter - let there be some new missions that actually benefit from sniper rifles, bows (non-explosive), throwing knives, and tactics (even some scripted enemy placement and behaviors)
- bug fixes of course, there are so many bugs, especially old ones that frustrate a lot
- more work on melee (melee has become extremely better that it was and there is no more need in damage increase, only QOL changes, more work on stances and movement)
- some QoL improvements to trade, in no auction, then at least something that makes it faster than flying to Dojo every time
- more reason to play steel path besides farming SE from acolytes (Steel Path is at least something done for the veterans, but the only point to go there is to farm SE for Kuva and can someone explain me why Umbra Forma can't be every week?)

On 2021-01-06 at 6:12 PM, BouzuJunzo said:

I'll scream about endgame a bit more in that case ^^

I don't really care about excel formulas or complex strategies.. You don't need them unless you're planning on making that ego stroking video about going to level 1000 - we do daily bounties, They're like level 60 near the top? Void relics, typically level 10-70 before everyone leaves.. Sorties, level 60-100.. Arbitrations which are my favourite, like level 100-150 before everyone gets bored and leaves.. Invasions, like level 30.. The bread and butter things that we spend most of the time doing. Then there's like.. Farming for Oxium, level 20 whatevers.

You can squash most of this with C grade gear, let alone anything better ^^;

I understand that stuff should be accessible to new players and that "low level" areas are important but this is important because you're stating that we should be excited, content that makes me go "There's more of this thing I love about this game"

But what I loved the most about this game was starting out as Mag and trying to adapt to new enemies and deal with them because things were actually challenging. Shooting at something and caring, being ready to dodge, playing a game. Literally when the gameplay is fun, then it's the definition of a pleasurable gaming experience.

In contrast when you or your teammates are so high above the content you're doing that everything is trivial, it's mostly just doing chores to get loot.

So if you were to ask me what a pleasurable gaming experience would be?

The ability to have that fun again more easily, needing to recognize different enemies, dodge around and use a variety of tactics to take them out without going "MASH RED DOT BRAMMA TIME" during every void relic mission, every bounty, because everything dies in one or two hits and there's a cheese strat for virtually everything.

I.E. endgame appropriate level game modes that we can go into more often instead of spending 99% of our time shooting some guy who was supposed to be a heavy but died in one hit anyways, and gameplay that feels engaging. Literally, Warframe with harder game modes as an option and more polish and balance would make me go "That's amazing!"

They either have to nerf us all so hard that an Axi relic run feels engaging no matter what, or introduce some "end game" in order to make that happen. I am not even asking for a crazy new game mode with new rules and rewards.. Just literally, gameplay options for more of the same but not scaled so ridiculously low with how unbelievably overpowered we become?

I'm sorry to wear you out with more end game though ^^;

- being able to go into the Unum's tower

- better protection from spoilers. I personally thought it was ridiculous to set vitruvian theme as default after the sacrifice release, even for those players who have not completed the quest. I'm sure there may also be other factors, but this one had me the most.

- make archwing gameplay fun by redesigning the levels and the target locking with melee, and by making the railjack fighter ships more vulnerable to them.

- remove the recent loading screen update where you have 4 tennos staring at you when you load into the orbiter

- improve the mod system by making the unused mods usable

- real cross save

- introduce different types of AI to corpus and grineer while leaving infested as it is (to emphasize the horde-shooting aspect on the infested). The grineer could for example have a hierarchy where the commander actually communicates orders to the troops, and killing the commander would render the platoon unproductive. Or corpus could have more sophisticated communication methods since they have surveillance systems and better tech.

- remaster of all planets, where each level will have their own distinct tileset. This would make the gameplay less monotonous and perhaps allow to unlock more potential for future cutscenes. Tbh I'm tired of running the exact same tileset across mars, europa and neptune.

- quests which focus specifically on each one of the factions to give a better understanding of each faction without having to rely on warframe wiki. There are so many factions with untouched potential, I feel it would be a really good way to keep players immersed within this game's universe. I would still want to see what is life like for a regular grineer for example, and how they view life, which social implications they have etc. I know that there are entries within the codex explaining this in text, but it would be so much better to represent them with cutscenes and meaningful storytelling. This would make warframe lore less of a chore to get in, and probably unlock more opportunities for further development. Maybe I am spoiled with all the ps4 exclusives, but i do expect the devs to present the cutscenes and the music with the same level as some of the best ps4 exclusives, if not better.

On 2021-01-06 at 11:10 PM, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

So yea....DE is slow to get main stories out. I was blown away by second dream and war within like everyone else. 

My hope is that they're waiting George Lucas style, for more tech and space to work to actually give us a crazy main story experience that blows us away like the past 2 main story missions. 

No one expected covid, though, it sucks, but I at least have faith the next major storyline and Duviri are gonna be freaking amazing. 

I play this game for my operator and really wanna see my "janky space kid" rise to fruition!

I 100% agree! I get that the Tenno use the Warframes as their weapon of choice, but imagine being able to wade into combat with like a kid-sized katana sometimes. OR being able to sneak around completely during a spy mission as just your Tenno and being able to defend yourself when or if you get caught using some kind of weapon and not just your void powers. 

I WISH we'd hear something about the Plains of Duviri. They got us all excited 2 years ago and we've heard NOTHING. That's severely disappointing.

On 2021-01-17 at 6:44 AM, (PSN)PopeFrancis7625 said:

- being able to go into the Unum's tower

- better protection from spoilers. I personally thought it was ridiculous to set vitruvian theme as default after the sacrifice release, even for those players who have not completed the quest. I'm sure there may also be other factors, but this one had me the most.

- make archwing gameplay fun by redesigning the levels and the target locking with melee, and by making the railjack fighter ships more vulnerable to them.

- remove the recent loading screen update where you have 4 tennos staring at you when you load into the orbiter

- improve the mod system by making the unused mods usable

- real cross save

- introduce different types of AI to corpus and grineer while leaving infested as it is (to emphasize the horde-shooting aspect on the infested). The grineer could for example have a hierarchy where the commander actually communicates orders to the troops, and killing the commander would render the platoon unproductive. Or corpus could have more sophisticated communication methods since they have surveillance systems and better tech.

- remaster of all planets, where each level will have their own distinct tileset. This would make the gameplay less monotonous and perhaps allow to unlock more potential for future cutscenes. Tbh I'm tired of running the exact same tileset across mars, europa and neptune.

- quests which focus specifically on each one of the factions to give a better understanding of each faction without having to rely on warframe wiki. There are so many factions with untouched potential, I feel it would be a really good way to keep players immersed within this game's universe. I would still want to see what is life like for a regular grineer for example, and how they view life, which social implications they have etc. I know that there are entries within the codex explaining this in text, but it would be so much better to represent them with cutscenes and meaningful storytelling. This would make warframe lore less of a chore to get in, and probably unlock more opportunities for further development. Maybe I am spoiled with all the ps4 exclusives, but i do expect the devs to present the cutscenes and the music with the same level as some of the best ps4 exclusives, if not better.

All extremely good and meaningful points. Especially your last one. 

On 2021-01-13 at 5:00 PM, Lutesque said:

I'm actually against this one specifically... If only because it's impossible to satisfy people with rewards.

I'd rather they focus removing any tedium from the activities so that even if the rewards suck it's still a good time.

Oh so you noticed it too... I thought It was just me that got the feeling that the basis for slot of Warframe's design Decisions is driven almost entirely by Metrics.

Nope. not just you. I think what finally broke me was the Cedo, It's just a long list of stats. Yeah, it's cool that it's a glaive rifle, but like just looking at this long list of numbers in the stat bar just literally made me shut off the game. I haven't played Warframe in about a week. I just said screw Orphix Venom. I'm done.

On 2021-01-07 at 9:12 AM, BouzuJunzo said:

So tired of people screaming about endgame. How about a pleasureable gaming experience? If you listen to a few content creators, they break games down into what amounts to complex Excel formulas involving stats and modifiers. What happened to the days of just enjoying a game for what it was? Today, it's all about endgame. How about adding content that makes you go "Holy crap! There more of this thing I LOVE about this game?! That's AWESOME!" But nope. It's all about how devs can make a game harder. 

Don't worry about endgame complaints. If you don't like hearing about what people have to say about higher level challenge, just continue to focus on the things you do enjoy in the game. I am still doing free roam PoE because I like collecting resources for building Zaws (even though I already mastered all the strikes I like to have variants with different grips). There is still a lot of stuff in the game I've barely touched - I've never done a profit taker run, and I've only ever killed one Lich, but I'm MR24 with over 2500 hours played.

On 2021-01-07 at 9:12 AM, BouzuJunzo said:

My understanding is that events like Orphix Venom serve two purposes:

- Data collection
- Bug testing

Orphix Venom is set in Deimos and based around using Necramechs. Both of these are the latest content in the game, so having an event where people are in that area using those tools constantly means DE can collect information about how well everything is working.

It should be no secret by now that the player base do a lot of the bug testing for them, and that's probably part of the reason why the game remains completely free to play. It is a small, simple event to keep people occupied with rewards while DE work towards other things. The irony is that I haven't even done of that content or built a Necramech myself, hopefully by the time I bother to get around to it, it all works properly.

• 2 months later...
On 2021-01-23 at 4:11 AM, BouzuJunzo said:

Nope. not just you. I think what finally broke me was the Cedo, It's just a long list of stats. Yeah, it's cool that it's a glaive rifle, but like just looking at this long list of numbers in the stat bar just literally made me shut off the game. I haven't played Warframe in about a week. I just said screw Orphix Venom. I'm done.

So it's happening to you too hmmm ?

I haven't played Warframe since The Steel Path Update.... I still signed in some time after that just to fiddle with my Shawzin but actually doing any of the "Rewarding" Activities just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

Archived