Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack as new optional home instead of Orbiter/Liset

(XBOX)AMONGTHEWEAK

I look at the Railjack as having great potential for some expanding content for the future of Warframe

I think it would be neat, once players build their own personal Railjack, to have the option to set their built Railjack as their new home, instead of their Liset. 

Adding an underbelly cargo bay where the current liset can be parked (with 3 other empty parking spaces for 3 others liset in your lobby)

Captains quarters (above pilot controls) in the Railjack that includes the Helminth segment, foundry, operator area etc.

Be able to decorate the captains quarters how we currently can decorate our orbiter and for the rest of the ship add a personal trade kiosk (in between where the two turrets are located) where you can invite other players to your ship to trade (no trade tax received by player) as another option along side the dojo or Maroo. Maybe allow us to have some of those mini game kiosks like Dojos can have. 

Additionally a mini simulacrum (or shooting/melee range) where we could spawn one dummy enemy (similar menu selection to that of the simulacrum) just to quickly test our guns, weapons and mod set ups etc.

Crew quarters for your crew that you hire to work amongst your ship during actual Railjack missions (where you customize your crews loadout and who is currently active)

I also see the liset as a smaller fighter compared to the Railjack that we should be able to deploy in Railjack fights as a smaller more nimble fighter. 

Mech Quarters where your current equipped mech is standing in place so you can see it in all its glory

Trophy wall etc

I feel if this was a feature added, it may create more of an interest into Railjack, especially once things are reworked in that game mode. 

The Railjack almost could feel like a personal mini dojo/home

Hardly anyone would probably be up for this but I just think it would be neat.

Leave the Liset as an actual landing craft still (going to the dojo we would park in the Railjack bay with the Railjack and would find ourselves in the Dry Dock instead of the just inside the Dojo)

100% agree

Once you build the Railjack the Orbiter should be kept somewhere onboard. Isn't the Orbiter a sort of drop ship? IMO this was a huge missed opportunity (combining the orbiter with the railjack). Railjacks should have essentially replaced Orbiter. 

When Railjack was announced I imagined the Orbiter being connected to it (like the saucer section from Star Trek TNG) and disconnected when doing ground missions and such.

tumblr_mpee6fA5ui1rzu2xzo1_400.gifv

13 hours ago, Leqesai said:

Once you build the Railjack the Orbiter should be kept somewhere onboard. Isn't the Orbiter a sort of drop ship? IMO this was a huge missed opportunity (combining the orbiter with the railjack). Railjacks should have essentially replaced Orbiter. 

No, the Orbiter’s concept art showed that the Orbiter is much bigger than The Railjack. The Orbiter is like some sort of Transport Ship that carry stuff and it’s not meant for dog fights judging by it’s size.

But I wouldn’t mind The Railjack have access to The Orbiter functions as well. 

15 hours ago, Leqesai said:

100% agree

When Railjack was announced I imagined the Orbiter being connected to it (like the saucer section from Star Trek TNG) and disconnected when doing ground missions and such.

tumblr_mpee6fA5ui1rzu2xzo1_400.gifv

The game labels it as a our landing craft, so I imagine as just a drop ship, something small and nimble to enter the atmosphere or "air" space of any enemy ship

I like the idea of it docking underneath like that. Would be cool to have both a cargo bay for our drop ships and a docking for our fighter if we ever got one. That way we could go stand around and actually look at our Lisets much better than we can right now 

2 minutes ago, UUDDLRLRBA_START said:

I'm going to bump and upvote this (oh wait, we can't).

I would say that the Clan thing for Railjack is one of those things that bars new players from enjoying the experience.

Unless they were to add a Railjack dry dock to some relay where a player could build their ship from, like in the update where they said they were adding a dryrock in relays for players to be able to start missions from with other players.

2 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

No, the Orbiter’s concept art showed that the Orbiter is much bigger than The Railjack. The Orbiter is like some sort of Transport Ship that carry stuff and it’s not meant for dog fights judging by it’s size.

But I wouldn’t mind The Railjack have access to The Orbiter functions as well. 

I think it would push players to want to invest more into the Railjack side of things if they felt more connected and had reasons to build and level, outfit their Railjack. Our liset can't fight, it only takes us into missions and provides a place to put our stuff, therefore it appears to have limited value other than what we get out of its normal functions. Most of us spend more time on customizing our Warframes etc than our ship, although there are some of us who love to decorate our orbiter. If we had something more meaningful to invest into the Railjack may feel like another Warframe to us, but a Warframe that is also our home. Right now Railjack just feels disconnected, but I am sure that is one of the many things they are aiming to fix for the next update. 

I think you are confusing what the orbiter and liset are as far as spaceships.

Orbiter = transport ship with living quarter, arsenal, etc

Liset = basicaly just a small shuttle to take us down planet side and back in orbit after extraction.

When you look at concept art for the orbiter you can see the liset docked at the tip of it and how small it actually is.

19 minutes ago, smashedwookie said:

I think you are confusing what the orbiter and liset are as far as spaceships.

Orbiter = transport ship with living quarter, arsenal, etc

Liset = basicaly just a small shuttle to take us down planet side and back in orbit after extraction.

When you look at concept art for the orbiter you can see the liset docked at the tip of it and how small it actually is.

I always pretty much looked at the Orbiter and Liset as one in the same, since that is all we see. Even in the lobby standing inside at the navigation console, in our "orbiter" looking at other peoples "orbiters" or "listet" whatever we were looking at, was just the same thing as the Liset. Even when we went to customization for changing the Orbiter interior appearance vs liset/landing craft exterior appearance, we are clearly standing in our Liset because we don't see the other players Orbiter from our window but just a Liset. Other players viewing our ship from their angle in a lobby also shows our Liset to them, while we can see theirs. But we are supposedly standing inside our orbiter? The concept art does show a big ship for the Orbiter, but we never even see our actual orbiter, and those who have made it outside the orbiter/landing walls through glitching in a lobby it only shows their Liset and not an orbiter. I just view orbiter/Liset as one in the same since thats all I have ever seen.  

I often see people pointing out the distinction between the Orbiter and the Landing Craft, and clarifying that the Orbiter is supposed to be a huge ship. But as far as I'm aware, that's never really made clear in-game, and is instead just outside lore coming from old dev streams or something. Like somebody else said, all we ever see in-game when we go to our "Orbiter" are tiny ships made up a few rooms. It doesn't really matter what their original idea or intention was regarding Orbiters.

At this point, I think they should retcon it. The Orbiters should be the Landing Crafts themselves, the same as the games makes it look, the same as most players think without outside reading. A small ship serving basing functions and allowing us to land on planets. The Railjack should be the big mother ship that the Orbiter / Landing Craft docks to, filling in as the original idea for the Orbiter.

4 hours ago, SteveCutler said:

I often see people pointing out the distinction between the Orbiter and the Landing Craft, and clarifying that the Orbiter is supposed to be a huge ship. But as far as I'm aware, that's never really made clear in-game, and is instead just outside lore coming from old dev streams or something. Like somebody else said, all we ever see in-game when we go to our "Orbiter" are tiny ships made up a few rooms. It doesn't really matter what their original idea or intention was regarding Orbiters.

At this point, I think they should retcon it. The Orbiters should be the Landing Crafts themselves, the same as the games makes it look, the same as most players think without outside reading. A small ship serving basing functions and allowing us to land on planets. The Railjack should be the big mother ship that the Orbiter / Landing Craft docks to, filling in as the original idea for the Orbiter.

Even in the Tennocon trailer from a few years back where they showed the Railjack leaving from the surface of Orb Vallis, that conveys a sense that the Railjack is to be used as potential form of space travel and combat. Maybe one day we will see it where we can actually manually fly down to a planet or dock to an enemy ship, like on a lot of these online space games like Star Citizen and No Mans Sky. Make the game feel more fluid and involved than just clicking on a mission loading in and just going to kill stuff and extracting.

What if we run into a small space battle on the way to our mission, or get Hijacked mid jump, locked up and have to escape and fight as our Operator only to steal our ship and stuff back. Maybe we discover anomolys along the way, who knows. Much can be brought out, but it would not be a simple task for DE, and right now it seems like DE is more keen on just keeping to bring out more and more Warframes, rather than fixing and expanding on content that is already there. This would take a lot I know but for now we can only imagine and dream of what Warframe could become. We all see things different, but at least for this, that is my take on it. 

7 hours ago, (XBOX)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

Even in the lobby standing inside at the navigation console, in our "orbiter" looking at other peoples "orbiters" or "listet" whatever we were looking at, was just the same thing as the Liset.

When you look out the window at your squadmates, you see their Landing Crafts (not always a Liset) because they travelled to your Orbiter. You don't see their Orbiters.

7 hours ago, (XBOX)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

We can also see our Railjack from our "Orbiter" window, does that ship just follow behind the Orbiter on interplanetary travel?

The Orbiter doesn't really move, or at least doesn't move much. The Railjack can go wherever it needs to (as can the Landing Craft, but via different means), and in between missions it docks with your Orbiter or Dry Dock (depending on where you view it).

6 hours ago, SteveCutler said:

I often see people pointing out the distinction between the Orbiter and the Landing Craft, and clarifying that the Orbiter is supposed to be a huge ship. But as far as I'm aware, that's never really made clear in-game, and is instead just outside lore coming from old dev streams or something.

The Orbiter is seen in the Cephalon fragments on Uranus, and can also be seen if you look out the windows of a Relay. DE continues to mention the separation between Orbiters and Landing Craft, including on recent streams.

14 hours ago, (XBOX)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

Unless they were to add a Railjack dry dock to some relay where a player could build their ship from, like in the update where they said they were adding a dryrock in relays for players to be able to start missions from with other players.

That'd be nice for the Clan-less players.

I was actually thinking about this same thing some days ago, I'd love it if my RJ could replace the orbiter. On the dry dock it looks big enough for that purpose, they could even add a quest to install a new segment for living quarters or whatever. This could also simplify navigation and let us choose ground/space missions on the same screen.

I like this idea way more than having an orbiter and a battleship connected though a tube like we have it now.

DE  could change it for players who are not in a clan (who don't want to be in a clan) to build their Railjacks at a Relay Drydock area. Leave the quest to be the same for building it but the requirements for having to build it at a clan, make that optional. 

We have two ships that we can clearly see on a regular basis for those who have it. Our Landing craft and our Railjack. Why do we have all these options to only customize the exterior of our Landing craft but only the interior of our Orbiter, and even the exterior and interior of the Railjack. Even all the loading screens when choosing other planets, you choose the planet you want to go to and it's like the only loading screen you have is that of your landing craft going down to the planet (unless travel for orbiter to the planet is instantaneous), there is no travel screen for the orbiter, it's almost like you instantaneously can travel to each planet but yet you have to load a flight screen for the landing craft just to get down to a planet.  But there is a loading screen for taking the railjack to other planet missions (which the railjack has no issues jumping across to other planets), why would the railjack be able to do that? I thought the orbiter was the method of travel to other planets and the landing craft just for landing into the mission once outside the planet. 

16 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

When you look out the window at your squadmates, you see their Landing Crafts (not always a Liset) because they travelled to your Orbiter. You don't see their Orbiters.

What about when they look at our ship when we are hosting a game (when they travel to us), they don't see our Orbiter, they only see our Landing craft. Every time I join someone elses game I only see their Landing craft, no orbiter. Why would DE hide or make it so hard to see our Orbiter in game, if they are supposed to be the means of our travels to other planets.

4 hours ago, (XBOX)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

the only loading screen you have is that of your landing craft going down to the planet (unless travel for orbiter to the planet is instantaneous), there is no travel screen for the orbiter

Just because you don't see the Orbiter travel doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In any case, the Orbiter doesn't move around as much as the Landing Craft does.

it's almost like you instantaneously can travel to each planet but yet you have to load a flight screen for the landing craft just to get down to a planet.  But there is a loading screen for taking the railjack to other planet missions

You know the loading screen just exists because the game has to load the new mission, right? If the missions loaded instantly you'd never see any travel because DE wouldn't put that screen there. It's not indicative of anything happening or not happening in the game.

I thought the orbiter was the method of travel to other planets and the landing craft just for landing into the mission once outside the planet.

This is not necessarily true. The Landing Craft actually seems to be the main conveyance around the solar system, while the Orbiter stays safely hidden in far-away places, away from any combat zones.

What about when they look at our ship when we are hosting a game (when they travel to us), they don't see our Orbiter, they only see our Landing craft. Every time I join someone elses game I only see their Landing craft, no orbiter. Why would DE hide or make it so hard to see our Orbiter in game, if they are supposed to be the means of our travels to other planets.

From your point of view, you are hosting the mission and everyone takes their Landing Craft to your Orbiter. From their point of view, they are hosting the mission and you are taking your Landing Craft to their Orbiter. It happens that way for the sake of simplicity so DE doesn't have to render and animate an Orbiter. Like the loading screen, it is not indicative of anything. It's a production decision to simplify the game representation.

32 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

Just because you don't see the Orbiter travel doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In any case, the Orbiter doesn't move around as much as the Landing Craft does.

The orbiter would have to move around as much as the landing craft does, except in the loading screen of an actual mission, where it is absent. We are always supposedly connected to the orbiter when we are just in a lobby since we can walk around on the "orbiter" in the rooms opened to us, therefore wouldn't the orbiter  always be moving with us from mission to mission, except through the actual loading screen of the mission?

You know the loading screen just exists because the game has to load the new mission, right? If the missions loaded instantly you'd never see any travel because DE wouldn't put that screen there. It's not indicative of anything happening or not happening in the game.

Yea I understand the loading screens, I was just making an example of how the railjack basically functions like the Landing craft in terms of it being able to travel to other missions (railjack ones).  I don't see why DE would have something in a game without physically representing/rendering it. What's the point in the lore if it's something we are always supposedly in but never see? The instantaneous part was the fact that the Landing craft is for sending the player into the actual mission, so depending on wherever we are in the universe at anytime, we always see a loading screen with the landing craft traveling into the mission, even if we just finished a void mission and are doing a lua mission next. So I just look at is we instantaneously travel to that planet by the click of navigation, but we have a loading screen for the actual mission, which I entirely understand the reason for loading screens. Although I think it would be neat to have a loading screen for traveling to a planet, and once we are outside that planet we could manually fly our ship down to the mission, land/dock and start the mission. Making it more immersive. Obviously that is asking a lot. 

This is not necessarily true. The Landing Craft actually seems to be the main conveyance around the solar system, while the Orbiter stays safely hidden in far-away places, away from any combat zones.

What are we standing in before every mission we load into then? Why would we be floating outside of one planet on our lobby screen outside of a mission planet and able to walk around our "orbiter" yet it be somewhere else in the solar system? 

From your point of view, you are hosting the mission and everyone takes their Landing Craft to your Orbiter. From their point of view, they are hosting the mission and you are taking your Landing Craft to their Orbiter. It happens that way for the sake of simplicity so DE doesn't have to render and animate an Orbiter. Like the loading screen, it is not indicative of anything. It's a production decision to simplify the game representation.

I just don't see the point of the lore, if we never really see the orbiter, let alone by judging the size of it, we only walk around on what feels like a small portion. Is DE just too lazy to render something that is in the lore, that we supposedly are on for the majority of our time playing the game? 

On 2021-02-03 at 4:35 PM, SteveCutler said:

That's not entirely true. When we get picked up by our dropship, we can guesstimate its general size, about 4 to 5 warframes tall. If we then go into our orbiter (Keep in mind that the game also distinguishes 'Orbiter' from 'Landing Craft'), the internal space is much, MUCH bigger than that. Have you ever looked behind the operator's somatic chair? It reaches quite a ways down. 

And then there's the fact that the bridge's visor resembles the Liset's, insinuating that they're the same, which also matches the original idea for the orbiter.

Sure, there could be TARDIS shenanigans involved, but the game never establishes that as a possibility. 

Archived