Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii Quest Bugs/Feedback Megathread: SPOILERS (Closed)

[DE]CoreyOnline

Having played the mission now, I haven't been this underwhelmed by a mission since The Glast Gambit.

First, I'm fundamentally against having Railjack involved in a narrative mission; it's a polarizing gameplay mode within the Warframe community as it is, having it as part of a story mission will drive people away from completing said mission. First person ship combat in a third person hack and slash is not my idea of fun. Not to mention my thoroughly unoptimized Railjack vaporised the enemy alarmingly easy, so there wasn't really much point doing it in the first place.

Secondly, I'm all for a great song as part of a story. "We All Lift Together" was such a fitting introduction to Fortuna, but this 'Sea Shanty/Cutting Song' couldn't have felt more shoehorned in if it tried. It didn't fit, was tonally jarring, and the whole Sevagoth killing Corpus scene made absolutely no sense. To be particularly harsh, it felt like an attempt to jump on the Wellerman bandwagon while it was still popular.

On the writing aspect, why pretend the ships' identity was a mystery when a) It's in the title of the update/mission, and b) is supposed to be a legendary rescue ship? Cephalon Cy mentions that he recognizes the glyphs that the Tempestarii displays so he clearly has Old War memories, so why would he not remember an incredibly distinguished rescue ship that disappeared on it's final mission? What's more, why on earth did we fire Sevagoth out of the missile tube after literally just rescuing him from the Void? It would have made so much more sense for us to rescue him from the void and then be able to use him. Ah, but then there would be no need for people to do these frankly awful Railjack Void Fissures, and you couldn't sell him for platinum either.

It's not often that I can't think of a single positive thing to say about this update but, there really isn't anything good to say about it.

someone might already asked but i'm too lazy to read all post so ...

Question is : is there a scannable database during the quest too add the song instrumental theme, to our somachord ? ( or i missed it ? )

the song with vocal is awesome but since somachord is for ambient music an instrumental version would be a nice addition.

Just throwing some (could have been) ideas here:

1st mission (where Captain Vala first appeared) could've been a survival mission (while prepping for void jump) with increasing difficulty. It will build up intensity when the Tempestarii finally arrives because you have no idea if it is a foe or not.

2nd mission (spy mission): steal a crew ship to infiltrate heavily-armed facility, then proceed to spy mission

3rd mission (summoning Tempestarii): stay close (with set max distance from the ship) to re-establish connection (just like hijack mission mechanics with a completion UI like in interception mission) while you're being bombarded by the Tempestarii

The music accompanying the appearance of Vala is great. Feels like Imperial March when Darth Vader makes an appearance.

PS5 issues with right stick. Noticed after entering crew ship on Sover Strait camera control lagged so much that I could not leave easily as you can spin around or just keep hitting walls. Issue continued with archwing; hard to aim when camera control lags so much. Issue seemed to resolve after returning to dry dock but soon came back. Restarted game with no issues for a while but issue can return with any railjack mission. Next day Sony updated PS5 firmware and dualsense firmware. Still get occasional right stick lag issues which seems to show up when doing any railjack mission first. I have not changed any controller stick options before or after update 30. What to do?

Seemed easy & short, but really nicely rounded out. Liked the taste-test of Sevagoth.

What exactly we were meant to be avoiding during the railjack "avoid the stuff" missions was pretty unclear. I basically just flew in circles for a bit.

Press "F" to use the alternate fire in the Tempestarii railjack isn't a good instruction, the ability was not bound to F for me (I've probably changed whatever it was, but it still meant it was unclear... I had to use middle mouse click which was my missile command under normal circumstances).

"Scavenge for resource", which give only a blank resource when picked up? I expected to contain several resources like Endo, random ship wreckage, and other things.

The "Use parazon" forced AFK for 1 or 2 minutes, then...

Warning on PC: Extremely loud voice and music during the quest, it ignores volume control settings. happens when master volume is 100, Music speech transmission and all other volume controls set to a comfortably low number like 20. I had mine set to 45 but still it is very loud. Eventually the loud music and voice part just passes by without barely playing much at all.

There are no objective, no health bar, no reason to play with this LOUD music/song voices. Can simply just wait and do nothing until this ends in about 3 minutes.

When trying to start Call of the Tempestarii: Intercept Corpus shipping convoy I get this message:

Could not find an Open Squad. Please try again, or start a new session from your personal Railjack stationed in a Dojo' Dry Dock.

I went to dry dock, entered my railjack, started the mission again. and nothing happened.

Nevermind... figured it out.... needed to get the requlary key for my railjack.

1. The quest was VERY short. Especially for the time we waited for it. I've been playing this game for a LONG time. And I absolutely love the quests. A grinder is good but quests are 100% better. 

2. It didn't really introduce anything really "New". What got me hooked again after years of not playing was the quests and the introduction of "new" stuff. IE: the second dream. 

3. This felt like a precursor not a full fledged quest. Kinda like how you did it for the war within. 

I hope you guys are working on something very VERY big because I'm starting to loose interest again. And the last time I did that, I didn't play for about 3 years. And I know I've put thousands of dollars into this game. 

6 hours ago, Carmelitha said:

someone might already asked but i'm too lazy to read all post so ...

Question is : is there a scannable database during the quest too add the song instrumental theme, to our somachord ? ( or i missed it ? )

the song with vocal is awesome but since somachord is for ambient music an instrumental version would be a nice addition.

there is, there are 2 somachord fragments in the quest that unlocks the vocal version of Sleeping In The Cold Below

How easy was it to understand the new quest and what you have to do to succeed?

It was mostly straightforward until the final part where the player must fire countermeasures. It eventually worked after I flew the ship around for a bit while spamming the countermeasures key. I do not know how I completed that stage of the quest.

What was it like having Railjack involved in a narrative quest?

Railjack was detrimental to the quest experience, and it was especially annoying to have to pilot another Railjack. I would have preferred the quest to involve Warframes only.

Thoughts on gameplay, difficulty, visuals, or in-game guidance?

See response to first question for feedback re: in-game guidance. The quest itself seemed about right for difficulty. Visuals were not that impressive, though it was nice to see the player's own Warframe in a cinematic/cutscene. I think there needs to be more variation in the "space" backdrop. I dislike how the trend in many sci-fi games has been to create these incredibly bright and colourful backdrops instead of mostly dark space. Space is an empty, cold, and boring place. I think Void Storms would be visually improved if the backdrop contrasted with them more sharply.

The worst part of the update was the song sequence. I do not enjoy musicals as a performance, and that part of the quest felt like a musical. I did not enjoy "We All Lift Together" when it was released, either. However, this new music sequence was worse than Fortuna's, because the player was forced to actively spectate something. (During the opening of Fortuna, I could leave because I wasn't forced into perpetual combat.)

I enjoyed Cy's voice lines and the sound effects during the hacking phases of the quest.

Anything else that comes to mind!

Warframes - specifically the Warframe itself, should dominate all content including the story. To me, auxiliaries like Operators, Necramechs, K-Drives, Archwings, and Railjacks detract from a meaningful narrative, which consequently lowers my gameplay value. Whether or not they are "fun" is separate feedback/discussion in my opinion. Another player's feedback on the first page summed up my thoughts nicely:

On 2021-04-13 at 3:57 PM, bejuizb said:

As I see it right now, the game's narrative is a collection of frayed threads going in a multitude of directions. There's nothing really tying things together, and it feels like the world is disconnected from me as a player. I do my very best to stay updated with the lore, I really do. I've been playing since Update 8, and back then we didn't have lore. It just feels more and more obscure and esoteric an experience to participate in narratively for me. There's been a variety of changes and whiplash inducing retcons and rewrites that I truthfully don't know how I could find myself invested in such a disparate narrative experience. 

To me, the game's lore was fantastic when it barely existed. The Lotus oversaw the Tenno, who, at the time, were mysteriously in control of the Warframes. There was a war happening and we joined that war out of duty to the Lotus. We have fought for years and for what? The war has turned into a circus of side-content (open worlds, conservation, floofs). There is no illusion of depth in the game anymore. (There was never any depth to begin with, but the illusion was there.) Duviri Paradox will hopefully age up Operators permanently as a sign that the game has direction, rather than a never-ending expansion of frayed threads. This is just my opinion.

On 2021-04-13 at 9:30 AM, [DE]CoreyOnline said:

Hello Tenno!

Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii is live on all platforms and we are looking to hear your thoughts on the brand new quest!

With Update 30, we are continuing with our new Trello Board approach from last month to communicate known bugs, fixed bugs, and popular feedback submitted by you, the community! To see a list of known bugs and fixed issues, please check out our new Trello Board: [U30 Trello Link]

You will also be able to see notifications of changes and fixes by joining our official Discord Channel, found here: [Discord Link!]

Please use this thread to let us know your feelings on the following:

• How easy was it to understand the new quest and what you have to do to succeed?
  • What was it like having Railjack involved in a narrative quest?
  • Thoughts on gameplay, difficulty, visuals, or in-game guidance?
  • Anything else that comes to mind!

Feedback in order of the questions above.

1. The quest was easy to understand, although the part about "evade the Tempestarii's attacks" didn't seem relevant - it never attacked me. I am not sure what I was supposed to be doing, but since I was able to finish the quest, I guess I did whatever was intended. 

2. It was basically like running a railjack mission. There was nothing particularly unique about how railjack was used here, except that it was in a scripted quest with some cutscenes. It would have been more interesting if it was used in a unique fashion or had some critical role in the quest (aside, obviously, from having to shoot down some fighters).

3. I thought it was far, far too short and trivial to really earn the tag "quest." The ideas behind the quest are interesting - lost ship, soul and body separated, some old vengeance between a corpus captain and a warframe - but the quest itself felt like a really rough sketch of all that. Like, "we'll say it, so we don't have to show it." It's not great storytelling, for what could have been a pretty great story. 

Finally, I have to take real issue with the segment of the quest where you fight waves of corpus enemies as Sevagoth's Shadow. There's no justification whatsoever for it except that it forces players to hear your new song. It's a fine song, but the fight is a pointless diversion lasting nly as long as it takes to play the song. I mean...come on. It's so blatant it was kinda insulting. It could have been a cutscene for all the weight it carried. 

Overall, tepid. In the future, I might go a different way with your quest design. 

10 hours ago, ShogunNoir said:

What's more, why on earth did we fire Sevagoth out of the missile tube after literally just rescuing him from the Void? It would have made so much more sense for us to rescue him from the void and then be able to use him. Ah, but then there would be no need for people to do these frankly awful Railjack Void Fissures, and you couldn't sell him for platinum either.

Well said.

I understood, why we gave Sevagoth a proper burial, but in turn it made zero sense in later on recovering / gathering the pieces. Like, wth? If ya wanted to keep hin anyways, why shooting him out in the first place? xD

PLEASE make like a hotfix or something that lets us bypass the pulse turbine door, cause the door not opening glitch at least for me exclusively happens with Pulse Turbines and it completely ruins missions. I get it's an elusive bug and you're doing your best to fix it, but it's been ruining my Railjack runs for weeks now, and since the rewards work like they do, I either return to dry dock every time I get a functional Pulse Turbine or I pray to God almighty that the next one does too. Making some way to get past the door in case it breaks would circumvent the issue til you can fix it. 

mostly a full view of the updates in my opinion:

Sevagoth - really fun, however I would also like it if when your forced into their shadow when downed if you could still force revive yourself by holding down X, I've lost a lot of missions because I've been stuck in shadow, unable to force revive myself while I'm unable to attack a key objective on a time limit. Maybe make the hitbox for Consume a lot bigger, it practically requires you to get right in the enemies face to actually hit with it, which can sometimes either kill you or make it harder to revive yourself. Also I'd say change the description of Death's Harvest and Sow since they really struggle to explain the ability (wtf does 'a harrowing condition' mean?). Also Sevagoth has a lot of little things such as being able to direct Reap using aiming that should be in the ability description and not hidden away in tips. Also make it so that if Exalted Shadow is cast while Reap is active, the player enters Sevagoth's Shadow in the position that it is in from Reap, otherwise you can get 2 Shadows on screen at the same time.

The Quest - really fun and interesting, however I wish we got a reason as for why we blew up Sevagoth, and also wish it was a little longer. Not too sure about the song scene, but I enjoyed it (and I think I'm like one of the few people that did), it provided a nice view of part of the new warframe for those that didn't immediately buy them.

Railjack itself - For solo players (which all xbox players are forced to be for now), void storms can be rather challenging, especially newer players. Also the enemies that create areas of electricity can be really punishing if you accidentally walk into their electricity fields due to getting repeatedly staggered by it, essentially killing you. The electricity traps that appear beneath your feet in the quest and Icedrivers are also rather annoying since there is no way to avoid it and could probably shred squishier warframes or players that weren't expecting them

Bugs I've encountered so far - Xbox matchmaking and friends not working (but thats already been reported). A crew member I just hired got randomly deleted from my list of available crew members, also certain weapons don't appear when being held by crew members. X-button Battle Intrinsic doesn't work even if energy is available. Sometimes the energy bar for railjack just doesn't show, also not sure if intentional but the boost bar (hopefully you know what I mean) is not visible for railjacks.

Things I'd want - Wish that you had more control over where pilot AI's went, or that you could command a defender AI to stay in a certain area, much like specters. Also wish that the Tempestarii skin gave you the void interior of the railjack. Also I'd like an ability to warp crew members between railjack and hijacked vessels, that way they have a use other than to draw enemy fire or entertain the newer players. maybe an augment similar to Equinox's Duality augment for Sevagoth's Exalted Shadow ability (ie: Sevagoth maintains some independence for a while after splitting with his Shadow).

mostly a full view of the updates in my opinion:

Sevagoth - really fun, however I would also like it if when your forced into their shadow when downed if you could still force revive yourself by holding down X, I've lost a lot of missions because I've been stuck in shadow, unable to force revive myself while I'm unable to attack a key objective on a time limit. Maybe make the hitbox for Consume a lot bigger, it practically requires you to get right in the enemies face to actually hit with it, which can sometimes either kill you or make it harder to revive yourself. Also I'd say change the description of Death's Harvest and Sow since they really struggle to explain the ability (wtf does 'a harrowing condition' mean?). Also Sevagoth has a lot of little things such as being able to direct Reap using aiming that should be in the ability description and not hidden away in tips. Also make it so that if Exalted Shadow is cast while Reap is active, the player enters Sevagoth's Shadow in the position that it is in from Reap, otherwise you can get 2 Shadows on screen at the same time. I'd also say that given the really low armour value that Sevagoth has, and how powerful some of the new railjack enemies are (and also general high-level enemies), Give Gloom lifesteal for Sevagoth too, not just allies

The Quest - really fun and interesting, however I wish we got a reason as for why we blew up Sevagoth, and also wish it was a little longer. Not too sure about the song scene, but I enjoyed it (and I think I'm like one of the few people that did), it provided a nice view of part of the new warframe for those that didn't immediately buy them.

Railjack itself - For solo players (which all xbox players are forced to be for now), void storms can be rather challenging, especially newer players. Also the enemies that create areas of electricity can be really punishing if you accidentally walk into their electricity fields due to getting repeatedly staggered by it, essentially killing you. The electricity traps that appear beneath your feet in the quest and Icedrivers are also rather annoying since there is no way to avoid it and could probably shred squishier warframes or players that weren't expecting them. Additionally, some of the corpus railjack enemies (especially the flame MOA's and electric Osprey's) can shred healthbars and might be a challenge for weaker players and squishier frames, especially when put into massive groups, and they are too tanky for new or weak players to deal with.

Bugs I've encountered so far - Xbox matchmaking and friends not working (but thats already been reported). A crew member I just hired got randomly deleted from my list of available crew members, also certain weapons don't appear when being held by crew members. X-button Battle Intrinsic doesn't work even if energy is available. Sometimes the energy bar for railjack just doesn't show, also not sure if intentional but the boost bar (hopefully you know what I mean) is not visible for railjacks. One thats existed for a while, but the game sometimes randomly deleting my railjack's name. Constant screen shaking after killing a crewship (through any means), I'd say this a really important one to fix because the screen shaking can hurt my eyes and also gets a bit nauseating after a while. Sevagoth's Death Well sometimes doesn't appear for an entire mission, meaning you essentially have to guess how full it is.

Things I'd want - Wish that you had more control over where pilot AI's went, or that you could command a defender AI to stay in a certain area, much like specters. Also wish that the Tempestarii skin gave you the void interior of the railjack. Also I'd like an ability to warp crew members between railjack and hijacked vessels, that way they have a use other than to draw enemy fire or entertain the newer players. maybe an augment similar to Equinox's Duality augment for Sevagoth's Exalted Shadow ability (ie: Sevagoth maintains some independence for a while after splitting with his Shadow). Something I've wanted since I first got a railjack, but a button that refunds all Intrinsic points spent so we can redistribute them (some people might want to test abilities granted so we can tell if they are worth going for or not). ALLOW CREW ON STANDBY TO BE SUMMONED BY THE ON CALL ABILITY (oh and also let them have their voicelines too).

Sorry for this giant text wall

Liked the quest for the most part, some feedback:

- really did not know what to do in the "evade the Tempestarii" sections. It wasn't doing enough damage to me so the issue was moot, but... what was I really supposed to be doing here? it's attacks were seeking so that didn't seem like much option.

- When doing the section where you play as Sevagoth's Shadow (in the Cold Below), melee animations weren't working. Even beyond that, the section seemed... really awkward? Like the powers didn't seem to be actually killing anything, and since the animations were bugged enemies just kinda... died when I was near them. I thought my melee button had gotten remapped.

Archived