Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

vulpaphyla modding for survivability ?

_Anise_

Question

I watched a few video guides and they suggested link health and link armor for survivability pretty much for all of the vulpaphyla whilst also talking about how its such a great companion because it can't die.

so I was kind of suggesting, why not skip on those survivability mods ?

someone said "because it can't deal damage while its dead ?" but if its going to die anyway specially in higher level content why not just load up the damage mods so it gets more damage in while it is alive ?

also when it dies it activates a secondary effect that is different cooldown to the primary effect right ?

so tldr is it fine to drop survivability on vulpaphyla to socket more damage or utility ?

18 answers to this question

9 hours ago, MqToasty said:

I would love to see your genocidal pet fox build

I don't have a "build" build just a rough idea as to what mods I am using, would like to get feedback on my thoughts for anyone!

unknown.png

so I was looking at something like above build  I found but modifying it a little.

thinking of dropping..

...maul because the main damage is coming from quills right?? this modifier is only to melee damage so the base attack?

...both link mods because synth gives some armor/survive also the pet can self revive plus I may run frames that can ability some survive onto my companion if needed.

considering adding...

... frostjaw and venomteeth, this gives more status and viral, but unsure I think this maybe only apply to the base attack and could be surplus? (also doesn't add a lot of status)

... swipe just to attack more stuff for more procs ? (does this work with jaw/teeth above?)

... hunter command because I hear it makes the companions attack targets like crazy! spread more viral? may not be needed with swipe or vice versa?

... sharpened claws just for the armor strip utility if I end up having a spare slot

4 hours ago, _Anise_ said:

this was my actual plan  and I have been itching to try it up but acquiring arcane pulse seem hard, they added orphix as an alternative to eidolon hunting while making orphix a game mode no one wants to play either.

While I don’t know Your play style I’ll give You few another tips for healing:

1. Pack Leader always if You’re focused on Melee.

2. Mending shot on Primary will give You 52 instead of 25 from Health orbs.

3. Energizing shot on Seconary + Arcane Energize, if Your Frame isn’t energy hungry it will allowYou to use Vazarin school.

4. Arcane Bodyguard works well with Detonating Glaves or Zaws with Arcane Contagion, You can put Ensnare/Larva for best result.

5. Master’s Summons: fastest way to get Beasts from Environmental hazards or from few Tiles away + fully heal them.

8 hours ago, (PSN)Onder6099 said:

combo Synth Fiber + Arcane Pulse makes wonders.

this was my actual plan  and I have been itching to try it up but acquiring arcane pulse seem hard, they added orphix as an alternative to eidolon hunting while making orphix a game mode no one wants to play either.

1 hour ago, _Anise_ said:

this is one of the ones I discovered while playing around, seems to scale _everything_ where maul only scaled the initial quills.

I wonder if the synth mods are workable? was mostly trying for a equilibrium of sorts, maybe I just helminth myself a dispenser instead

Bite + Maul are like Serration + Split Chamber for primaries because:         
1. Beasts don’t attack unaltered enemies only                                           
2. Beasts mostly attack hardest enemy in Tile to protect their owner    
So Dmg is, based on “Attack is best Defense”, like 2nd layer of Defense, pumping as Dmg as possible will shrink the time Beast needs to kill enemy, which means less time to be an easy target. It’s easier with Mecha set on Kubrow where, with Status Chance over 100%, You can use fe “Flame Gland” for CC attacked enemy.

Equilibrium, one of the most underrated Mods, extra Energy is welcome, unfortunately extra Health from Energy orb will not heal Beast and trigger Arcane Pulse, but combo Synth Fiber + Arcane Pulse makes wonders.

6 hours ago, (PSN)Onder6099 said:

Bite

this is one of the ones I discovered while playing around, seems to scale _everything_ where maul only scaled the initial quills.

I wonder if the synth mods are workable? was mostly trying for a equilibrium of sorts, maybe I just helminth myself a dispenser instead

ok after doing some research ...

quills initial damage scales based on Maul and elemental mods, but the spores don't scale. so I don't know if that makes maul and elemental mods worth taking ? feel like i want to drop them.

the spore damage on the other hand, ticks only when the pet is alive, so some survivability mods may be more desirable ?

25 minutes ago, MqToasty said:

Well, I just tested it again, and thankfully I haven't lost my marbles yet.  Here's my Crescent Vulpaphyla alive with a Rank 8 Primed Animal Instinct (+45 Loot, +27 Enemy Radar):

qUeYybI.jpg

Here's after she dies and devolves.  You can see her floating at the top, there's infested everywhere, and even an Orokin container off towards the left.  None of them show up on the minimap anymore:

u2gSGXJ.jpg

There does appear to be a 5~10 second delay before Enemy and Loot disappear from the minimap, but you absolutely will lose Animal Instinct's effects until your Vulpaphyla completely revives.

Looks great!  What kinds of damage numbers are we seeing from her?  I have Swipe and Sharpened Claws on mine, but at 80 Slash (she's un-potato'd and un-forma'd), I really don't see any effect...

hmm weird, I swear I haven't experienced this the same way, but I'll test it myself to be certain and update my guide. Thanks!

45 minutes ago, MqToasty said:

Looks great!  What kinds of damage numbers are we seeing from her?

havent done almost any testing yet, I only just started toying with the idea the other day, also I guess maul increases the slash and viral damage from the mods at least

6 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

No they work. There's really no reason to put survivability mods on a vulpa. It's a waste.

Well, I just tested it again, and thankfully I haven't lost my marbles yet.  Here's my Crescent Vulpaphyla alive with a Rank 8 Primed Animal Instinct (+45 Loot, +27 Enemy Radar):

qUeYybI.jpg

Here's after she dies and devolves.  You can see her floating at the top, there's infested everywhere, and even an Orokin container off towards the left.  None of them show up on the minimap anymore:

u2gSGXJ.jpg

There does appear to be a 5~10 second delay before Enemy and Loot disappear from the minimap, but you absolutely will lose Animal Instinct's effects until your Vulpaphyla completely revives.

1 hour ago, _Anise_ said:

I don't have a "build" build just a rough idea as to what mods I am using, would like to get feedback on my thoughts for anyone!

Looks great!  What kinds of damage numbers are we seeing from her?  I have Swipe and Sharpened Claws on mine, but at 80 Slash (she's un-potato'd and un-forma'd), I really don't see any effect...

None of the other comments are quite accurate on how the precept/utility mods work when vulps die.  Which makes me think they are bugged in our favor and will likely get "fixed" at some point, hopefully also in our favor but no guarantee.  But short answer is  yes, sort of, precepts do sort of work when vulps are in larval form, under certain conditions, so you don't really need to overdo it on tank.

It all depends which vulpa/ability you aim to use. On Panzer you want all the health and armor possible, because it is only in the living state that it provides you the insane healing and free map wide viral debuffs. The others I cant speak of, if their only worth is the utility buffs then they may be dead or alive all the same iirc. Though I'm fairly sure animal instinct ends when the vulpa goes into larva state, but fetch still works.

3 hours ago, MqToasty said:

IIRC, (Primed) Animal Instinct and Fetch stop working when your Vulpaphyla is devolved.  So if you really care about the utility of these mods, then letting her die all the time is probably going to be pretty annoying.  But otherwise, go to town!  Vulpaphylas are some of the best pets available and I would love to see your genocidal pet fox build...

No they work. There's really no reason to put survivability mods on a vulpa. It's a waste.

IIRC, (Primed) Animal Instinct and Fetch stop working when your Vulpaphyla is devolved.  So if you really care about the utility of these mods, then letting her die all the time is probably going to be pretty annoying.  But otherwise, go to town!  Vulpaphylas are some of the best pets available and I would love to see your genocidal pet fox build...

vor 57 Minuten schrieb _Anise_:

I play different levels of content and have tried various different builds, pets sometimes die lots sometimes they don't, couldn't tell if the survive mods were doing anything or not outside the clearly higher healthpool! was looking for some external feedback

What helps is a high health pool with some kind of regen like pack leader. When I play with Wisp I can say that my cats and vulpas rarely die (unless they go all in VS toxic ancients). If it helps I did this when Steel Path dropped and needed SE for the cosmetics so my Smeeta had to survive a few hours of survival. And it did. So I think a high health pool with high regen rate does the trick while some armor may prevent oneshot (to some extend). 

Nowadays I play a lot of Protea and either my Vulpa is braindead or lazy but it dies constantly. Even against some low level 30's.

21 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

I play different levels of content and have tried various different builds, pets sometimes die lots sometimes they don't, couldn't tell if the survive mods were doing anything or not outside the clearly higher healthpool! was looking for some external feedback

There are a few interactions of those mods besides giving more health/shields/armor, check out this pages for in depth explanations:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Link_Armor

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Link_Health

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Link_Shields

Archived