Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So we get a squirt gun and...

minininja77

It's a technical issue they don't currently plan to fix.

On 2021-06-09 at 1:58 PM, [DE]Marcus said:

We want to clear up any potential confusion for Soaktron Rifle Skin compatibility. It’s true that not all rifles are built the same! Broadly speaking, the Skin is compatible with rifles that simply shoot bullets. This compatibility stems from internal back-end weapon types, weapon animations, and Skin complications with certain alt-fire modes affecting gun performance

This means any beam weapon, launcher, bow, shotgun, speargun, armcannon, crossbow or projectile based weapon is not compatible. Additionally, some alt-fire modes on these rifles will also make the skin incompatible with those weapons - similar to the Oscira Assault Rifle skin. 

The Soaktron skin will remain compatible with most assault rifles. Considering the vast amount the changes would affect internally - we do not have any current plans to overhaul the Soaktron Rifle Skin. 

Thank you for your understanding! 

6 hours ago, trst said:

It's a technical issue they don't currently plan to fix.

how would it have any more effect than when those universal skins for Shotguns and Pistols with Nyx and Mesa's Deluxe skins were added? those fit on everything no problem. I don't see why they can't just do the same with the Soaktron. 

3 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

how would it have any more effect than when those universal skins for Shotguns and Pistols with Nyx and Mesa's Deluxe skins were added? those fit on everything no problem. I don't see why they can't just do the same with the Soaktron. 

Not fully true I picked up mesa delux for the pistol skin the othere day and they can't be used on kuva nukor or catabolyst  (beam pistols) .

1 hour ago, (PSN)AyinDygra said:

Sounds like a "problem" worth fixing in a game that makes so much money from cosmetics... to release other cosmetics that would run into this same issue...

How much money did you spent on the Soaktron? Was advertised as an universal skin? 

I'm speaking on the basis that DE would like to make money from more skins that work in situations like this, rather than being precluded from use on a swath of gun types that people might want to spend money on customizing with paid skins. There is clearly a gap in options here.

In other words, this is not isolated to a free event skin. It's just spot-lighted by the event skin at the moment, and there is an underlying issue worth resolving beyond the duration of the event and interests revolving around this thing people can earn for free, extending into paid skin territory in the future.

The only question is how much dev time it would take to resolve, and how much money they'd expect to make off sales of skins into the indefinite future, based on this fix. Considering the type of game this is, and how they make most of their money from said cosmetic customizations in general... it's LIKELY, that it's worth fixing. Just putting that out there.

18 minutes ago, (PSN)AyinDygra said:

I'm speaking on the basis that DE would like to make money from more skins that work in situations like this, rather than being precluded from use on a swath of gun types that people might want to spend money on customizing with paid skins. There is clearly a gap in options here.

In other words, this is not isolated to a free event skin. It's just spot-lighted by the event skin at the moment, and there is an underlying issue worth resolving beyond the duration of the event and interests revolving around this thing people can earn for free, extending into paid skin territory in the future.

The only question is how much dev time it would take to resolve, and how much money they'd expect to make off sales of skins into the indefinite future, based on this fix. Considering the type of game this is, and how they make most of their money from said cosmetic customizations in general... it's LIKELY, that it's worth fixing. Just putting that out there.

IDK mate, if they, the oens with access to data, determines isn't worth to "fix" it should mean somethign right?

1 minute ago, PublikDomain said:

I haven't bought the Oscira weapon skins because they don't work on everything. The Soaktron skin isn't the only item with this issue.

I know but I was saying that because we were talking about the soaktron. A lot of "universal stuff" it's still broken (like the nikana skins on zaw nikana) and only devs know why. Starting to throw baseless "arguments" won't change the situation

4 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

I know but I was saying that because we were talking about the soaktron. A lot of "universal stuff" it's still broken (like the nikana skins on zaw nikana) and only devs know why. Starting to throw baseless "arguments" won't change the situation

Yes, so fixing this global issue would be worthwhile. It would fix the Soaktron skin as well as many others.

ETA: Remember that DE gave the same excuse when skins wouldn't work on modular items. For years! And then they stopped putting it off and fixed it.

3 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Yes, so fixing this global issue would be worthwhile. It would fix the Soaktron skin as well as many others.

ETA: Remember that DE gave the same excuse when skins wouldn't work on modular items. For years! And then they stopped putting it off and fixed it.

I specifically talked about nikana zaws because they are indeed broken. I don't see it as an excuse, but a problem on their end that we aren't aware, for obvious reasons.

1 minute ago, vanaukas said:

I specifically talked about nikana zaws because they are indeed broken. I don't see it as an excuse, but a problem on their end that we aren't aware, for obvious reasons.

They've told us exactly why the skin isn't universal, and it's for the same kind of reason as Zaws:

On 2021-06-09 at 11:58 AM, [DE]Marcus said:

This compatibility stems from internal back-end weapon types, weapon animations, and Skin complications with certain alt-fire modes affecting gun performance. 

More poor systems design that's led to cosmetics affecting how weapons behave, which just like modular items throws a giant wrench into things down the line. They know it's a problem, and they know why it's a problem, and they know where the problem comes from, and they've fixed this kind of problem in the past to the betterment of the entire game. But they're not fixing it because:

Considering the vast amount the changes would affect internally - we do not have any current plans to overhaul the Soaktron Rifle Skin. 

They gave the same kind of excuse about Gara's glass FX, even though a better FX cosmetics system would benefit dozens of frames besides Gara and open entirely new avenues for cosmetics monetization. So maybe they should clean up their mess instead of continuing to build on yet another shoddy foundation, and maybe players should stop defending these kinds of weak "we don't wanna" excuses. This is going to continue to negatively affect every universal skin that comes out in the future.

2 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

They've told us exactly why the skin isn't universal, and it's for the same kind of reason as Zaws:

More poor systems design that's led to cosmetics affecting how weapons behave, which just like modular items throws a giant wrench into things down the line. They know it's a problem, and they know why it's a problem, and they know where the problem comes from, and they've fixed this kind of problem in the past to the betterment of the entire game. But they're not fixing it because:

They gave the same kind of excuse about Gara's glass FX, even though a better FX cosmetics system would benefit dozens of frames besides Gara and open entirely new avenues for cosmetics monetization. So maybe they should clean up their mess instead of continuing to build on yet another shoddy foundation, and maybe players should stop defending these kinds of weak "we don't wanna" excuses. This is going to continue to negatively affect every universal skin that comes out in the future.

So tell me, what parts on the code are affected? 

1 minute ago, vanaukas said:

So tell me, what parts on the code are affected? 

This compatibility stems from internal back-end weapon types, weapon animations, and Skin complications with certain alt-fire modes affecting gun performance. 

Just now, PublikDomain said:

I'm asking for an elaborated explanation on waht code is involved, I'm asking for code. We just know a very simplified explanation that doesn't dig deeper into the issue, and I'm asking for it because you are talking like if you know exactly what's happening and they aren't fixing it because they are more comfortable giving us excuses. 

Just now, vanaukas said:

I'm asking for an elaborated explanation on waht code is involved, I'm asking for code. We just know a very simplified explanation that doesn't dig deeper into the issue, and I'm asking for it because you are talking like if you know exactly what's happening and they aren't fixing it because they are more comfortable giving us excuses. 

Maybe ask [DE]Marcus if you want access to their codebase to snoop around?

4 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

I don't want to, this is why I'm not making assumptions

Then you can take their statement at face value. They have stated what the problem is and that they aren't planning to fix it because it'd take a lot of work. They should spend the time to fix it anyways like they did with Zaws.

I was confused as this was hit and miss more miss than anything !! it wouldn't go on any of my favorite in rotation rifles !!

Fulmin no, not beam though it is hybrid rifle with a shotgun like bust mode.

Bows in general.. well I understand this one.

Rubico well its a rifle but still no.

Basmu .. no. ok maybe I have other rifles I use I will keep looking.

Dex sybaris, ok finally a gun i will go on but something I haven't used since I first joined warframe before they gave it away again on the 8th anniversary.

My fortuna kitgun rifle ... no I guess that falls into beam like opticor? no go.

penta ? Ogris guess those are launchers even thought they show under rifle in search and take rifle mods.

I don't own a gun that I use in my regular rotation that the squirt skin will go on!! with the exception of maybe the chakkhurr but I don't like it all that much.

with that in mind anyone suggest the best "rifle" that will work with this skin ?

Archived