Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennocon 2022 Overview

This Tennocon 2022 was brilliant for me! Considering Warframe was starting to get somewhat stagnant, in LARGE part due to the rampant power creep and how DE put themselves against a wall with that and being unable to design meaningful content and progression that doesn't involve stripping the players of their power to provide a modicum of challenge. 

I feel like they managed to get the best of both worlds:

1) Do a hard reset and start a new game with a fresh start and clean code, that still feels somewhat like a spiritual successor to WF. Hopefully they manage to rein in the power creep better this time. The game's setting looks amazing;

2) Still keep Warframe around with a new leadership and hopefully fresh ideas. Considering we learned that Rebbeca had her first role as creative director with Angels of Zariman and I consider that update amazing, one of the best in recent WF history, it gives me high hopes the game is headed in a good direction, even if the power creep issue can't be solved. 

It actually makes a lot of sense to me AoZ had a different person in charge. I mentioned multiples times before how that update felt completely different in terms of vision, more bold and ballsy, sticking to its vision of threatening eximus and adding more challenge to the game instead of just listening to all the crying and afk farmers and nerfing everything into the ground again like Steve has done a thousand times in the past with all the previous updates. I'm really hyped for this Rebbeca and Pablo duo now, I feel like Scott was feeling kinda burned out on WF lately. Hopefully he finds his inspiration in Soulframe again. 

Hearing that they are currently reworking frames makes me think we might actually get a handle on power creep down the line. Seems like the mindset has changed with the swap in positions, since on the last Tennocon panel there was quite a clear NO coming from Pablo when the question regarding reworking frames was asked. Now with him in a more leading position, it might turn out differently, since he might prioritize things that Scott didnt, just as Reb is way more in touch with the community opinion than Steve was. So maybe we'll see a bit more balance and reworks.

I also think both Reb and Pablo visit the game far more than Steve and Scott, so have more of a feel regarding the kinks that need to be ironed out. 

Overall I loved this TennoConn but you can tell they were running into too many internet and technical challenges for their comfort. Being in the production industry myself, I think they made the right move with quadruple checking, stalling a bit and focusing a little less on the amphitheater. Rebecca is way too much of a worrier though and had me sitting there as if I'm on a live event that had all of my primaries fail and all of my last backups running! Lol! 

As for the  pre keynote presentations, I loved all of them! To see and hear artists, engineers and technicians discuss and showcase the fruits of their crafts, especially from a game you love, is always inspiring. You could tell by all of the art submissions that this game has a much wider audience to satisfy than this forum lets on, significantly proven by the skill, effort and time poured into the showcased Dojo's, drawings and models. I can only imagine just how many submissions of ideas, concepts and suggestions this community sends to DE. "Listening to the community" goes WELL beyond the forums folks, and that count is probably in the hundreds per day!

The main keynote had me nervous at first but was VERY impressive overall!! I absolutely loved the demo and the trailers were awesome surprises! Between Kahl, Duviri and Soulframe, DE is letting us know that the Warframe universe is nowhere near done...but they are having issues with keeping the game solely in the warframes and their gigantic arsenal. Break some elements apart from the 10 year power fantasy is a great choice and I think the team was right to have fresh minds take over while the original "big picture" team focus on Soulframe. I had a feeling this was coming since The New War and the eximus changes proved that a great many players aren't willing to part with their OP warframe model. Also, the forums absolutely suck at coming to an agreement regarding difficulty, challenges and direction...which males "listening to the community" even harder. We do have to work on that. Lol!

Lastly, it was GREAT to see the dev team together. No one does it better, IMO, and their honesty and presence makes the game that much better to enjoy. As I said earlier, Rebecca is not the best at controlling her worries about such a highly innovative and interactive presentation (hard to do actually, especially when it's live streamed in high quality), but they pulled it all off nicely! Personally, I would rather they extend the keynote time and split the demo and interactive sections. The latter can be post demo, using that to lightly explain each feature character a bit and have Red Text guide us around as the devs speak. Even cooler is if they could have embedded the stream into the Amphitheater! Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed TennoCon 2022 and I really look forward to what comes next!

I feel players are just tired of non sense hype and false promises. So yea these trailers looks amazing in an slow gameplay like rebbeca did, and thats understable and classic from trailers, but how will be the actual gameplay at normal speed?

A great example is railjack, the first trailer was amazing, everyone screaming, the hype and look railjack state at this moment, its pretty much dead and barely people play that gamemode

Also i want say personally and also think there is a huge portion of community who finds mega boring 2 or 3 consecutive hours of guys talking about art and sounds, we saw that the last years, and the fun fact is if you are actively warframe player who is actually grinding the stuff you play without these crazy particles effects and pretty much sound at minimal, and thats not because sounds are bad, its because sounds in warframe are mega chaotic at that point you not understand what is happening

So resuming, trailers are amazing, sound and art boring and quiet hype this time, lets see how is next update

Almost 4K hours spent playing this game with Steve and Reb on the helm. Most I enjoyed with the creative minds of the "old" and "new" guard. The other part where I stopped playing because the game felt stagnating if not stale, was reason enough for me to be somewhat happy when I saw Steve handing over his pink pants to Rebecca.  Not that I blame Steve, no, but whatever is causing the game to not move forward must be the same team that built it in the first place. I learned that Reb has been on the drivers seat for most of AoZ expansion. TBH, that made me come back, it felt different in a good way, a tad bit challenging even.

The Duviri vid reminded me a lot of Sheogorath's Shivering Isles in Skyrim. If Duviri lands too heavy on the story-telling and decision making side, is it more apt for a single player game compared to what we are used to? I don't want to dismiss it yet since what was shown was too vague to draw conclusions with, but it felt like the New War all over again. 

I remember being hyped with The New War. All the years of stockpiling weapons, frames, building NMs, RJ and harnessing the Operator hoping to experienced a struggle beating the odds in a scale so massive you'll barely make it out without mastering all the parts of the whole that made us the "hero" warframe. But everything ended  with just a whimper, barely using anything in my overly tricked up arsenal. To me it sorely missed the "end game" potential of the whole event.

So, the Pegasi may look majestic and the cinematic scenes awe-inspiring, but I don't see how everything else we made in the past will fit this new guard version of WF. Anyway, the next devstream will oddly be sad seeing the other guys gone. But the ever passionate Reb was the right choice, no other reason but to be optimistic.  Cautiously be optimistic to be exact.     

can't wait to play as Kahl again, oh man it was bad 😎$$ to play as him, it feel like we were playing warhammer 40k but different version for it feel like connection "For my brother"

r/Grimdank on Twitter: "BROTHER I AM PINNED HERE *adds meme to Grimdank  Pinterest board* https://t.co/ZKO82syKVw https://t.co/EE8T6Me9JD" / Twitter

for we all know how Kahl feel like when he is in a pickle

Spoiler

Rick and Morty" Pickle Rick (TV Episode 2017) - IMDb

I'm not particularly looking forward to playing as Kahl again. How are they going implement it? A one-off game session like in TNW for narrative purpose? Or I have to do grinding as Kahl? Am I getting warframes item from a Grineer game mode or it's again a looped content island where you get Grineer item from a Grineer mission so that you can grind better in a Grineer mission? I surely don't expect to play as a Grineer for a prolonged period of time in a game about warframes.

Kahl gameplay in TNW is essentially a generic TPS military shooter and I'm pretty sure players will lose interest quickly if the gameplay doesn't change drastically. Grineer mode sounds good on paper but fact is players simply don't know what they want and what they want is often not what they will stick to.

Archived