Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New War just made me uninstall after 7 years playing (MR30)

ArxDurusMaximus

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Dragon Age for starters. Star Trek Online. Neverwinter. Mass Effect. Borderlands. Fallout. Elder Scrolls. Grand Theft Auto. Red Dead. Assassin's Creed. Far Cry. Outriders. Diablo. Witcher. Pillars of Eternity. Should I keep going?

That isn't even remotely true.  I haven't played all of those, but at no point in ANY of the Borderlands games do you start a quest and can't go do other things if you don't want to finish it.  They literally even make a JOKE about that very subject in the BL2 Tiny Tina DLC, when you get dropped into the dungeon.  Likewise Fallout.  There is no quest anywhere in Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4, or Fallout 76 that locks you out of other game content.  I don't recall any of the Mass Effect games having that either, though I can't swear to it since it's been a while.  Far Cry (3, 4, 5) you would get STUCK on a story quest, but you could always go back and play the open map instead, so that one is also not true either.  Diablo never had ANY point where you were locked into a quest and couldn't do the rest of the world.  I don't recall that anywhere in Dragon Age either.

I can't speak for the rest of those games, but that's most of your list that you're either wrong or lying about.

25 minutes ago, ArxDurusMaximus said:

That isn't even remotely true.  I haven't played all of those, but at no point in ANY of the Borderlands games do you start a quest and can't go do other things if you don't want to finish it.  They literally even make a JOKE about that very subject in the BL2 Tiny Tina DLC, when you get dropped into the dungeon.  Likewise Fallout.  There is no quest anywhere in Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4, or Fallout 76 that locks you out of other game content.  I don't recall any of the Mass Effect games having that either, though I can't swear to it since it's been a while.  Far Cry (3, 4, 5) you would get STUCK on a story quest, but you could always go back and play the open map instead, so that one is also not true either.  Diablo never had ANY point where you were locked into a quest and couldn't do the rest of the world.  I don't recall that anywhere in Dragon Age either.

I can't speak for the rest of those games, but that's most of your list that you're either wrong or lying about.

Final Missions in Mass Effect 1-3 lock you into them. You can't do anything outside of them once you either hit the Ilos relay, Omega Relay or start the Cerberus base assault. They straight up do that and your warned before starting them, just like The New War. Haven't played any of the others but Mass Effect 100% does the same thing.  It's not unique to TNW quest. 

As myself and other stated eariler: Take a break and return to it. Because if you ever decide to return to Warframe you will be in the exact same position as you are right now.  Also:

Its only 2 bosses in this type of gameplay, that's the only thing I will say about where you are in the quest with even any form of spoilers. So honestly, I'd recommend taking some time off and returning to it in a few days. Because that's what I had to do (time related) but I did die a few times during these segments. If you don't and you decide this is your off-ramp, then it's your offramp but I'd at least recommend finishing it so you at least have the option to actually return to the game vs leaving and forgetting where you are and feeling like uninstalling again because you ended up forgetting that you are still locked in. 

8 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

So... personally, I think any person can quit a video game at any time, without needing a reason or justification. That, and sometimes they should. Not every game is for everyone, not all games will last forever, people often outgrow games, games will often outgrow people etc

So when I say the following, it doesn't nor am I intending to delegitimise or invalidate any of your claims, frustrations etc but... it sort of seems like you started to resent the quest before you even played it? Now hypothetically you may have played the quest with neutral intent and still been disappointed, but it almost seems like you have your own personal view of what Warframe should be, and when Warframe deviates or doesn't meet your personal view (which may overlap with others). Then... Warframe is insert negative term here. Which again, for clarity, I think is fair. As far as fair to an individual. If they play a game for a reason, the game changes, and then they don't want to play... I mean... 

I think where you'll get some conflict and disagreement is in some of the nuance. Like you did acknowledge that many people did like and enjoy the New War, but there are many people who didn't enjoy it, thought it was lacking and average, but they completed it, because its not something they would quit the game over. For whatever reasons they may have. Some for example, may enjoy the other parts of the game, enough, that even disliking the New War, they will be back to their usual activity after. So that raises the question? Despite your lack of enjoyment, is there anything else in Warframe you enjoy and get excited over, that you are willing to get past New War? If no... maybe you are just burned out on the game? Or you grew part the game, or the game grew past you. Either way is valid, it is more of a personal issue though, since Warframe can mean a lot to different players. The other day someone threatened to quit over the Grendel rework, a person threatened to quit over DE's attitude on charity donations etc 

Alternatively, you also framed a lot of this around "what is Warframe" and there, quite a few other players will definitely agree with you, because yes, many do not like how Warframe has introduced other non Warframe elements into the game. This can become more of an objective criticism of the game, and its makers, and its direction, etc Personally, whilst I can sympathise with players who hold the attitude that "The game is called Warframe, not XYZframe", when I started playing, there was already a lot of side content where Warframes weren't the priority or some other evolution/adaptation from the original version of the game had taken place. Game was called Warframe, not "Bulletjump Frame" etc So stuff like New War didn't really feel like a betrayal or deviation of Warframe. Again, just my opinion, but on top of that... objectively speaking, I don't see the game un-breaking the glass here. So if you didn't like New War, what are the chances you will like Duviri Paradox? Also its not like DE is going to be like... oh a small minority of players quit after the New War, so lets cancel Duviri Paradox and future plans, for not being "Warframe enough". 

Again though, in a neutral sense, it just means, your personal vision of the game, is different from the Devs vision, and also whilst many other fans may overlap with your vision, with their own, a lot of fans, are either neutral or totally on board with the Devs vision. In which case, the conflict here is about your personal investment, with time, energy, emotion, money etc into a game, that is now moving further away from what you want it to be. Which is going to naturally cause a lot of frustration, resentment and other types of negativity. Which is super valid, but eh... there isn't really much that can be done unfortunately. So such threads can sometimes come across filled with disdain and resentment, where a person leverages their loyalty and commitment to a game, to insult it, challenge it to be what they want it to be, or risk/threaten losing your loyalty and participation. Again, in one way thats valid, I did word it a bit dramatically. 

Personally speaking, I don't expect games to try to cater to myself too personally. Maybe its because I grew up in an area where you only really played games once, you moved on, etc games with longer life cycles, I can enjoy, but Warframe for example... next month, they might change how all my favourites play, and nerf all the weapons I enjoy the most, into being the least effective weapons. I mean, they probably won't, I have too many favourites, it would be too much work to rework them all, and I am not that particular, but just hypothetically speaking. Would mean all the time, effort and money I put towards the game... That being said, thats something I understand and acknowledge about the game and my interactions with it. 

Also, is it possible you are just frustrated over such realisations, about the games direction? With time, could you spend an hour or two to finish the New War, because you remember the parts of Warframe that you do enjoy and want to get back to? Warframe will often bore me if I play it too long, so I take frequent breaks, which helps me avoid burnout.

Good luck to you either way! 

That's a lot to respond to, but no, I certainly didn't have any impression that Warframe and I were going different directions, not even an inkling.  I've survived quite a number of major changes and new functions DE has added to the game, and most of them ended up being fun in the long run, from Archwings to Operators to Railjacks.  (Yes, even Operators are a fun addition to the regular gameplay, they're just not a substitute for the regular gameplay.)

And I don't expect the game to cater to me personally, I just expect to be able to play the game as it exists.  I've pointed out in other replies that 99.999% of 7 years of playing has been running around the star chart in a Warframe using Primary, Secondary, and Melee with a Companion and a bunch of Mods.  That other .001% of the time is when you're doing story quests that pull you out of the regular gameplay to do something different, taking away all of those regular things.  That's the part of the game we're talking about, except in this case, instead of it being a quick interlude, it's a massive multi-hour slog that, once begun, locks out out of playing the actual game.  Again, the "actual game" being what every player spends 99.999% of their time doing:  running missions across the star chart.  It's not a question of "my vision of the game" vs DE's vision.  The game is the game.  I just want to be able to get back to playing it.

As far as complaining that they've retooled particular frames or nerfed weapons or whatever, that's not even remotely the same as rendering a player unable to engage with the game's primary content.  Personally I've never bothered.  Sometimes I like the changes, sometimes I don't.  It is what it is.  But changing some of Volt's powers doesn't stop me from playing the rest of the game.  Making a weapon I liked less effective so I have to choose another of the 10,000 awesome weapons in this game isn't exactly a hardship.  Locking me into content that is not enjoyable and from which I cannot escape?  That's another matter entirely.

So while I appreciate that you're trying to be even-handed and diplomatic in your response, I don't think you're really making a valid point vis-a-vis my issue.  I don't know what's coming in Duviri Paradox, but I assume that you'll still be able to run around the star chart with your Warframe, Primary, Secondary, Melee, Companion, and Mods intact, so I don't see why that would be an issue.  Unless they're planning to make Duviri Paradox another multiple hours long slog where they take all of that away from you and don't let you play the rest of the game until you've completed it, I expect it'll just be more content for players to engage with as they choose, like every other update except for The New War.

7 hours ago, empresslilandra said:

Well, I read all the stuff about it taking hours. People told me I could take breaks so I didn't have to complete it all at once. I stopped avoiding Deimos like the plague so I could get/build a necramech. I didn't mind if it took me long and that I would miss regular game play for a bit. At the time, I was playing every other week or so in general. 

I have stopped counting how many baro's I have missed. But I think I started in August. 

I was never a great player but I had fun. But I can't kill the Archons in the wild hunt. I guess I'm an abysmal player 🤷‍♀️

It sucks. I have all this plat that nobody can benefit from now. Since I can't play the game anymore, I can't use it. I would happily gift it away to people, so it wouldn't be wasted, but I can't do that either.

I am 100% in your boat.  Not only do I have that pile of Plat, I have at least 2 extra copies of literally every Prime item in the game that came out before I went on my hiatus, just in case I could ever convince some of my friends to come back to the game.  Not to mention all the others I had ready to sell or give away.  Now it all just sits, because the game is locked.  But more importantly, I like the game.  I'd keep playing, and engaging, like have have since 2015.  But I can't, because it's locked.

And yeah, I'm an old guy, and I was never that good at video games.  I play for fun, not to prove I'm the greatest video-gamer evar with all the great video-gamer skillz.  The "git gud" trolls on these forums can preen and strut, but most of us in the real world don't measure our worth by how good we are at games.  This is just entertainment, and it's supposed to be fun.  So I'm a casual player with a ton of hours in.  And yeah, even after watching the strategy videos, I couldn't do it.  I suppose I could explain that some of the things they show don't seem to work anymore (updates, maybe?), but the point is, clearly my skills aren't up to par, and that now means I can't play the game anymore, even though the part I can't complete has absolutely nothing to do with my ability to successfully play every other part of the game, because the gameplay is entirely different from the real game.  What a bloody mess.

7 hours ago, (XBOX)RelsWhisper said:

I feel like this is the #1 issue with the community, everyone has their own view on what "warframe" is. Especially after The New War dropped. I remember back in 2016 when the "Operator Only" content request was a vocal request from the community. So, DE finally does it and it's now categorized as "Not Warframe" which I find kind of hilarious when you consider that. We are only going to receive more of that content when Duviri drops. Duviri's also accessible before The New War (I think they said after War Within is when you access it) so depending on when you play Duviri: You actually can meet Drifter before The New War. 

It's also the move to make regarding this update (Duviri's placement). And I find that's also a problem when looking at The New War. I personally believe if you were not locked into it until you finish it, a lot of it's critic's would have different feelings regarding it, which is likely why Duviri is placed where it is. And believe me I had my own criticisms for it but at the same time, I'll say it's worth finishing. Now there was also a time where I personally didn't take part in the Operator stuff until maybe after PoE dropped. And that's where my feelings were changed and wanted Operator Only content. So this type of content was only going to get expanded on, like it does in The New War. 

I believe not finishing it is a mistake. It's not perfect but leaving it unfinished is just ignoring what still exists on the other side. 

Asking for Operator Only content isn't the same as locking people out of the entire rest of the game because they can't complete a particular section of Operator Only content (hell, it's not even Operator really, because the Operator can do way more than this joke of a goon we're stuck with in The New War.  Yes, I've always hated the Operator Only parts, although I feel like having access to the Operator in regular gameplay is an excellent addition, even including situations where you have to (very briefly) only use the Operator to perform a particular task.

And there were lots of people who didn't like Archwing when it launched.  And Railjack, for that matter.  But the great thing about both of those was that if you didn't like it, you could just not do it.  And if you had to do it to unlock something new, you could do only a tiny bit of it at a time, at your own pace, with other people helping you through it.  None of it required hours and hours of gameplay, and none of it content-locked the entire rest of the game.

But I'll go one further with the "not Warframe" accusation.  When you play Warframe, you're equipping a Warframe, a Primary, a Secondary, a Melee, a Companion, and throwing your own choice of Mods on all of those, then picking your Focus, etc..  That's how the game works:  nearly infinite customization to play the way you want to.  You can even make everything look the way you want it to.  When you go into an Archwing mission, you're still equipping a "frame," it's just an Archwing instead of your regular Warframe, and you're still equipping 2 weapons, just Archgun and Archmelee instead of your regular ones.  This Archwing and its weapons still get Modded like your normal equipment, and you can even still paint them the way you like, if that's important to you.  You even still have your Focus.  They've basically just given you a variation on your normal gameplay.  Even in Railjack you get to pick your upgrades, put Mods on your ship, customize it, etc., and of course you also have your Archwing loadout and your regular game loadout.  Even with the Operator you can make him/her look the way you want, you can choose your Amp, add Arcanes, Focus, etc.  This New War thing isn't like any of that.  You get no choice of who you'll play , just a guy who can barely move.  You get no choice of weapons, and you can't even mod the single weapon you're forced to use.  All of the things you expect in Warframe are gone:  the Frames, the Weapons, the Mods, the goddamned glorious freedom of movement that the game normally gives you, which to me is one of the most fun things about the whole game...

So no, I don't think there's anything wrong with the "not Warframe" accusation.  It's not even remotely similar to the other 99.999% of Warframe's gameplay.  It's like stepping into an entirely different game set in the same universe.  Which, again, was okay in small doses sprinkled throughout the vast majority of the rest of the gameplay, especially because if you got sick of it you could just go back to the real game.  And the people who liked it could replay it as much as they wanted.  The problem is when it became a multi-hour slogfest and anyone who didn't like it or got sick of it or simply couldn't complete it was locked out of the rest of the game forever.  That is, was, and always will be the complaint, and it is an extremely valid one.

To your last point, that "not finishing it is a mistake," I'd like a concrete answer on how many hours you think it is reasonable to invest in something that is nothing but aggravation, annoyance, and tedium, when all I've come to the game for is fun, relaxation, and enjoyment.  Because my answer turned out to be something like four.  I don't play video games to not have fun.  If I want to not have fun, there are plenty of chores I can do, or home improvements, or I can go kick some extra time into some of the less pleasant aspects of my job.  When I'm looking at a choice between scrubbing the guest toilet and playing Warframe, and the toilet is looking like a more fun way to spend my time, I start to wonder about the choices I'm making in my entertainment.  At least scrubbing the toilet will accomplish something, and I won't be aggravated or annoyed while doing it.  I could throw another hour at fighting the Archon, and probably have no more success than the last hour plus I spent doing it, since I never even got him halfway dead.  (I'm not sure I ever even knocked off a third, but at some point I'm not even looking at his health anymore, just running for my life and trying to get a couple hits on while lasting a few more seconds.)  Maybe if I give it another hour I'd somehow succeed, but it's probably a lot more likely I could give it another four and get nothing out of it but more aggravation.  But then what?  Then I start all over on the next Archon, for how many more hours of annoyance?

Now I've been educated that after that things will get better, and I don't have to kill the last one and continue to play a further 10 missions or so the same way the last few went, which is the only thing that's made me even think about reconsidering quitting, but the two Archons standing between me and that point are still a major obstacle, and I have a really hard time rationalizing more hours of aggravation when I could be having more fun scrubbing toilets and cleaning the gutters.  It's just not a winning prospect.

7 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

I'm the type of fan who enjoys the narrative/story aspects of games, so yeah, the plot resolutions and story implications made finishing the New War a must for me, I agree about the locked in element. I'd still encourage people, even those not enjoying it to try and finish it. That way if Warframe ever interests you in the future, you know you are returning to a state where you can jump in to new stuff or stuff that actually interests you. Sort of like doing a chore first, for fun after. 

Leaving the game, where returning to it, is to something you greatly despise, is almost like giving yourself an out/excuse to never return, which again, thats valid. It is a video game, non one should be forced to play a video game, but can create a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. May depend on the person though. 

I'll ask you the same question I asked the other guy:  How many hours of aggravation, annoyance, and tedium do you think are a reasonable investment to get to that point?  Because my answer turned out to be about four.  After about four hours I'd had enough.  And as I said there as well, I play video games for fun.  If I want to not have fun I can go scrub the toilet or clean the gutters.  And ultimately, I would rather scrub the toilet and clean the gutters than keep banging my head against the wall in The New War.  Those things are specifically not fun, but at least they're not aggravating and annoying, I know that after a certain set amount of time they will be completed, and I will have accomplished something with my time.  I could potentially play that Archon fight for another twelve hours and possibly never win it, and even if I do win it, God knows how many hours it might take to beat the next one.

You're right about one thing for sure.  If I leave Warframe now, there's basically zero chance I'll ever come back.  (I am never going to want to throw countless hours at this annoying task.)  And that's a damn shame, but it's also the position DE has put me in by locking me out of the rest of the game.  Obviously I could have just quietly uninstalled and left it at that.  Obviously I did not want to do that because I've really enjoyed Warframe for many years now.  I am dissatisfied with the situation, which is why I made the post.  But it's over a day later, and my desire to go back into The New War is probably even less now than when I first shut it down.  The only thing that has even remotely mitigated things for me is people telling me that after the second Archon things will change (I got the spoilers, but I won't spoil for others).  But even that still leaves me with the two Archons, and I just don't play video games in order to be less happy than I would be scrubbing toilets.

6 hours ago, (XBOX)RelsWhisper said:

Final Missions in Mass Effect 1-3 lock you into them. You can't do anything outside of them once you either hit the Ilos relay, Omega Relay or start the Cerberus base assault. They straight up do that and your warned before starting them, just like The New War. Haven't played any of the others but Mass Effect 100% does the same thing.  It's not unique to TNW quest. 

You're literally talking about the Final Missions.  In that case you could say that about almost any game in existence.  Once you do the final mission, the game is over, so don't do the final mission until you've done everything else.  That's not at all what we're talking about, or a fair comparison to Warframe.  This isn't the Final Mission in Warframe.  It's just one of like 30 missions the game has run.  There are even subsequent missions waiting after it, and they're releasing new ones all the time.  We're not talking about reaching the end of a game, we're talking about an intermediate step that locks you out of the entire rest of the game.  I won't make the claim the original guy did, that this has never happened in another game, because I don't know.  But I'll say it's 100% not true in that list that was provided, and it's certainly not common, because it's an absolutely terrible idea.

6 hours ago, ArxDurusMaximus said:

That's a lot to respond to, but no, I certainly didn't have any impression that Warframe and I were going different directions, not even an inkling.  I've survived quite a number of major changes and new functions DE has added to the game, and most of them ended up being fun in the long run, from Archwings to Operators to Railjacks.  (Yes, even Operators are a fun addition to the regular gameplay, they're just not a substitute for the regular gameplay.)

You had a lot to address. Oh okay cool, I stand corrected. Could you clarify what you mean by your statements, to paraphrase "even then say its not Warframe" and your other criticisms? I know you clarify here, to some extent, "addition" as opposed to "substitute", but wouldn't it seem that DE desires that Operator/Drifter gameplay take up a larger role in players arsenals? 

And I don't expect the game to cater to me personally, I just expect to be able to play the game as it exists.

Never said you did, its about establishing context for statements. For example this here now. Ideally, you would have interpreted a statement about players being catered to, not so directly or personally, because it touches on issues of subjectivity. Though later on, recognised statements that are actually speaking to you directly and personally, like about wishing good luck. So I would say there was a misunderstanding here, my choice of words may not have been clear or apparent, and/or you may have inferred incorrectly. 

Also sure, I don't think its unfair for people to develop expectations... Just, are you sure thats wise? For example, a recently the creative leads of the game just changed. That may potentially affect a lot about the dames direction. Personally, I view this as a positive based on how the old Dev leads talked about certain aspects of the game, compared to the new team. The new lead team, seem to generally have the same sort of preferences/priorities I do with the game. However for some/many, they may not and may prefer the older lead team Devs directions and ideas. Well, its not like that team is returning anytime soon, and you can't really anticipate such changes not happening. To a player that started at the very beginning, a lot has changed in ways they didn't expect, and some don't mind, and many fell off and left. You yourself would have experienced changes right? For every change you can claim to have expected or be fine with, many other players weren't, yet they could claim what you are "I just expect to play that game as it exists". As a point it make, its just so diluted because of different players expectations and understanding around them. 

I've pointed out in other replies that 99.999% of 7 years of playing has been running around the star chart in a Warframe using Primary, Secondary, and Melee with a Companion and a bunch of Mods. Again, the "actual game" being what every player spends 99.999% of their time doing:  running missions across the star chart.

No, I disagree. I think you may be guilty of putting too much stock in either your own experience or that of others. 

I just want to be able to get back to playing it.

So it this a spite post? It would be pretty easy to get back to that giving where you left off, like less than an hour, unless that hour is so unbearable to you, you need to let DE know, that they messed up so significantly, that they are losing you as an ongoing player, sarcastic slow clap for whoever designed the New War? Since again, totally agree and encourage your right to criticise, but its also common for people to use the forums to vent. Venting isn't always rational by nature. Meaning often there isn't really any room for input from other players, if one just wants to vent. Well aside from looking for validation too. 

If you enjoyed Warframe and still have the capacity to enjoy it, I want you to be able to get back to it as well. A lot of your points made are unnecessary for that. 

As far as complaining that they've retooled particular frames or nerfed weapons or whatever, that's not even remotely the same as rendering a player unable to engage with the game's primary content.  Personally I've never bothered.

Its not a bad thing if a player is bothered. Its totally a valid reaction to have, and its not so much a "thats not remotely the same" effect, again, its subjective. I am saying that, that would bother me more than the things that do bother you, not to invalidate or undermine your particular grievance. 

So while I appreciate that you're trying to be even-handed and diplomatic in your response, I don't think you're really making a valid point vis-a-vis my issue. 

All good, we will just have to agree to disagree. It may be a personality or communication issue as well. I may be misinterpreting exactly what your issues are. Which specific issues require more focus than others (for example quitting the game/uninstalling it, not because you dislike the direction of where the developers are taking it, but because of an unwillingness to finish an hour of gameplay, to get back to content you do personally enjoy and value?!?) which again, sure, thats your right, but seems odd to me personally. 

I don't know what's coming in Duviri Paradox, but I assume that you'll still be able to run around the star chart with your Warframe, Primary, Secondary, Melee, Companion, and Mods intact, so I don't see why that would be an issue. 

I don't want to spoil you if you are avoiding spoilers. If you give me consent though and are fine about hearing about some of the early previews DE have given us, like at this years Tennocon, and gameplay previews and the implications around that, I would be happy to try give a breakdown of that in spoiler text in my next reply. I would also assume its not going to be a quest that locks you out of regular quests though no, but I would not claim to know for certain. Its also a moot point ultimately too, unless, I believe, you can message Support to get them to get you out of New War. I heard about some players trying that, and like another user mentioned, I don't think Durviri Paradox is locked behind the New War, so you could be good to go, if you went with that route. 

5 hours ago, ArxDurusMaximus said:

I'll ask you the same question I asked the other guy:  How many hours of aggravation, annoyance, and tedium do you think are a reasonable investment to get to that point?  Because my answer turned out to be about four.  After about four hours I'd had enough.  And as I said there as well, I play video games for fun.  If I want to not have fun I can go scrub the toilet or clean the gutters.  And ultimately, I would rather scrub the toilet and clean the gutters than keep banging my head against the wall in The New War.  Those things are specifically not fun, but at least they're not aggravating and annoying, I know that after a certain set amount of time they will be completed, and I will have accomplished something with my time.  I could potentially play that Archon fight for another twelve hours and possibly never win it, and even if I do win it, God knows how many hours it might take to beat the next one.

You're right about one thing for sure.  If I leave Warframe now, there's basically zero chance I'll ever come back.  (I am never going to want to throw countless hours at this annoying task.)  And that's a damn shame, but it's also the position DE has put me in by locking me out of the rest of the game.  Obviously I could have just quietly uninstalled and left it at that.  Obviously I did not want to do that because I've really enjoyed Warframe for many years now.  I am dissatisfied with the situation, which is why I made the post.  But it's over a day later, and my desire to go back into The New War is probably even less now than when I first shut it down.  The only thing that has even remotely mitigated things for me is people telling me that after the second Archon things will change (I got the spoilers, but I won't spoil for others).  But even that still leaves me with the two Archons, and I just don't play video games in order to be less happy than I would be scrubbing toilets.

Thats a hard question for me to answer, as I don't often experience aggravation or annoyance when playing video games. I will sometimes experience tedium though, and in that instance, for myself its a matter of pros/cons. For example, I find Eidolon hunts more fun and interesting long term than Orphix Venom Hunts, if potentially solo. In a friendly and chill team, than thats ideal. Orphix Venom the event however, had a pity/sympathy system, with its rewards, that helped mitigate RNG. So when it was around, i made the conscious decision to take advantage of that, to round out my Arcane collection, which would improve my overall Warframe experience. Short term tedium in order to get a favourable result. Thankfully I didn't have to do many solo runs, and even found some solo attempts fun, as far as the difficulty in getting to max waves, but now Orphix exists as a node in Railjack, and I don't do them anymore (since the rewards are random/not tied to a sympathy/pity system) 

Thats the only real time I remember experiencing tedium with Warframe. Other video game examples, include the uh lightning dodging in Final Fantasy X to get an Ultimate weapon? 

Again though, my lack of experience with those feelings isn't myself trying to invalidate or undermine what you are experiencing. If your limit is an hour/4 hours, thats totally valid. My only question is, are you able to figure out a way to mitigate those feelings/experiences, and get through that hour. 

For example, most households, will spend a few hours each week, cleaning. Sure some people really don't like cleaning the bathroom or toilet, but the upside, is that having a clean bathroom and toilet feels much much nicer and is better for mental and physical health, than having a dirty bathroom/toilet. So even the people who don't find doing that fun, will participate, because the reward is having a clean home you will feel comfortable in, plus avoid hygiene/health issues. So not counting the people who enjoy cleaning, the fun part is irrelevant, because they focus on the goal. 

Yeah it sucks, you dislike the New War, but from your writings you are intelligent, so must have concluded that you could just focus on the goal (get to back to Warframe that you do like and enjoy) and just bear with the downside of doing an irritating, annoying, tedious quest (if at the end of that, you find value in what you do enjoy). So to myself, there must be some other issue at play here, like wanting to vent frustration, find validation, or to try and spite DE, or being burned out on the game, because the reward of getting what you want (regular Warframe as defined by you) isn't worth the hassle of 4 hours already played and one more hour to go to finish (roughly). 

Also, I may have misunderstood a key issue. 

Is it not that you are unable to finish by choice, but are you limited, and actually stuck at a point in the game unable to progress? Which to myself, is a totally different matter altogether. If you can't beat one of the Archons, then yeah, my sympathies extend even further. Its not about you being unwilling to spend one more hour to return to normal, its potentially infinity hours hitting your head against a wall. 

My advice there would be. 1. If you are willing, maybe some of us could try to guide you through it with patient advice, tips, etc. 2. You should be able to contact support, and let them know you are hard stuck, and locked out of the regular game, and would very much wish to return to it. I am pretty sure they will have a solution for you. I do get the sense, you would rather take the second option which is fair, but please let me know if you would like some help. Despite possible miscommunications, and misunderstandings, myself and some others would very much be willing to try and get you out of the mission if you are stuck, just so you can get back to the part of Warframe you do like. Its just up to you. 

I mean yeah, its pretty common psychological effect with procrastinating. Its pretty accurate for most people, myself included. Its why I often personally do stuff I least like doing first, and the fun stuff I like to do last. More life stuff than video games. Though, now that I think about it, I often put games I am excited about and know I will enjoy on my back catalog, which can sometimes mean it takes a few years to get to some great games. Regardless, you are pretty close, I sympathise and empathise with your frustrations. Please consider one of the two options I mentioned above. I am pretty confident that some players did contact DE/Support looking to free them from New War because they lacked the ability to get past Archon Hunts. Also I know that video game players can be elitist, ableist, "get gid" type annoyances around such things, but as someone who is older, has eye issues, and isn't the best gamer, (well reflexes wise, I have strengths elsewhere), there are a few tips with beating the Archons that you may not be aware of, etc stuff that might be able to help. 

Just let us know. 

7 hours ago, empresslilandra said:

What vanaukas said. I can't kill the archons in the wild hunt in the new war quest so i'm stuck.

Hello there. 

Just to go with what I told the other user, I am fairly confident you can contact Support to request assistance if you are stuck in this particular way. Just give them the relevant info and your desire to be able to play the game as normal. They should be able to help. 

Also, and its fine if you are not looking for advice/help, but if you are, I am sure there are many others who would try to talk you through such encounters, with tips, advice etc. Whatever the issue that may be specific to you. Like you may not know that rolling gives damage resistance, certain spots on the map, around certain geometry like trees, will give you some breathing room if you struggle with aiming, and so give you more time. Certain other advice you might not be aware of etc. 

If that doesn't sound like fun to you though, again, maybe try contacting Support? There has been a lot of great stuff added to the game since last December or whenever you attempted New War, would be a shame for you to miss out on it. 

Good luck! 

1 hour ago, ArxDurusMaximus said:

You're literally talking about the Final Missions.  In that case you could say that about almost any game in existence.  Once you do the final mission, the game is over, so don't do the final mission until you've done everything else.  That's not at all what we're talking about, or a fair comparison to Warframe.  This isn't the Final Mission in Warframe.  It's just one of like 30 missions the game has run.  There are even subsequent missions waiting after it, and they're releasing new ones all the time.  We're not talking about reaching the end of a game, we're talking about an intermediate step that locks you out of the entire rest of the game.  I won't make the claim the original guy did, that this has never happened in another game, because I don't know.  But I'll say it's 100% not true in that list that was provided, and it's certainly not common, because it's an absolutely terrible idea.

The New War acts in the same way as these final missions, it does signify the ending of somethings, and some changes do happen. Now I do believe a simple Opt in/Out portion could have happened where you can save your progress: But at some point, in this quest, you would definitely need to be locked into it which is probably why they just decided to lock you into it from the beginning. At the end of the day: They told you what would happen when you started the quest. And plenty of guides exist to get you over this portion. I personally had to use one myself when I went through this portion so I'm not going to sit here and say to you to "get gud."  Resources do exist that can help you so it's also not like you are completely stranded either. Information does exist that can really help you get past this.

4 Hours also isn't that unreasonable either. So, if you decide to quit then that's entirely on you. But this quest is also considered "late game", so some difficulty was expected to come with it, difficulty was also another request from the community. It wasn't going to be cake walk to get through this quest and that's also by design. I personally never felt aggravated, frustrated or tedium with this portion but did have difficulty. But I did find a guide to help me get through it and as a result I got through it immediately after using it. The quest actually gets quite good after this component.  

The expectation was set from the beginning that you would indeed be locked in until you finish, had they not explained that then I'd see your frustration. But I can't really feel bad either given that the expectation was also set in this regard as we were all told upfront what would happen. 

And yeah, I'm an old guy, and I was never that good at video games. 

I’m not young :)

and this was my first PC game so it’s been all new to me. I keep wondering if I can somehow convince my niblings to do it for me but I really want to do it myself.

4 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Hello there. 

Just to go with what I told the other user, I am fairly confident you can contact Support to request assistance if you are stuck in this particular way. Just give them the relevant info and your desire to be able to play the game as normal. They should be able to help. 

Also, and its fine if you are not looking for advice/help, but if you are, I am sure there are many others who would try to talk you through such encounters, with tips, advice etc. Whatever the issue that may be specific to you. Like you may not know that rolling gives damage resistance, certain spots on the map, around certain geometry like trees, will give you some breathing room if you struggle with aiming, and so give you more time. Certain other advice you might not be aware of etc. 

If that doesn't sound like fun to you though, again, maybe try contacting Support? There has been a lot of great stuff added to the game since last December or whenever you attempted New War, would be a shame for you to miss out on it. 

Good luck! 

I think I started trying in July or August. I didn’t in December and earlier in the year because I knew I didn’t have the time to devote to it and to cater to my abilities or lack thereof :) 

I know there is so much new stuff. Whenever I scroll past r/Warframe I see all this stuff that I don’t know and I wish I did. It makes me sad. And I can’t even give people parts so.

I don’t even mind the story. I would love assistance. Every now and again I research. Look up other people’s predicaments and the advice they received. But I don’t even know how long I’ve been stuck at MR22 because of that test. I feel like I’m a difficult case.

11 minutes ago, empresslilandra said:

I think I started trying in July or August. I didn’t in December and earlier in the year because I knew I didn’t have the time to devote to it and to cater to my abilities or lack thereof :) 

I know there is so much new stuff. Whenever I scroll past r/Warframe I see all this stuff that I don’t know and I wish I did. It makes me sad. And I can’t even give people parts so.

I don’t even mind the story. I would love assistance. Every now and again I research. Look up other people’s predicaments and the advice they received. But I don’t even know how long I’ve been stuck at MR22 because of that test. I feel like I’m a difficult case.

I can sympathise with feeling like a difficult case, in real life, a decent amount of my time is advocating for people who are for various reasons, usually don't fit in with whats considered normal, myself included, so even with video games, I tend to be aware of certain accessibility issues some individuals may face, which may unusual. 

23 Test is the one where you have to keep up with certain moving checkmarks/circles that move around a lot, yes? Plus enemies will shoot at you. I remember that one being a struggle, my hand reflexes aren't the best. I ended up putting a Catalyst in Loki and having to Forma him in order to do that test lol. I went with Loki because his invisibility, plus naturally fast movement speed, plus I used mods that increase his speed (and duration so I didn't have to stress about his invisibility as much). Even then though, I had to practice a lot, because the movements were a bit erratic. I could definitely see why it may create issues with many different types of players. 

I don't want to derail this thread too much though, but if you created a thread asking for MR 23 test tips or New War Archon Hunts, I would definitely participate and theory craft some of the best options to try overcome, depending on what your specific struggle is. Really often the more specific you can be about an issue, the more people can offer the best advice. Like hypothetically... surviving in the Archon hunt. There is an ability which gives healing and cleanse, so one tip, is to practice developing a pattern of timing. So recommending mental timing notes/practice so that maybe using that ability like its second nature but at certain intervals, means one less issue to try and manage. 

Of course, nerves and anxiety can make that harder, so may also have to try and encourage slower breathing, and also reassuring ones self, as to avoid putting excess pressure on ones self. Though maybe your ability to manage such cool downs that way, is the hard bit in which case we could try focusing on something else, like the best places to stand in the map. 

Someone might be aware of a really good guide on Youtube that goes step by step, and that might be a way too. You just do your best to replicate their actions. 

There might be some negative people on such threads, but often its people who just confuse such threads for criticism. In my experience if you are just asking for help, advice, tips etc people will be much more positive, friendly and willing to help. 

Plus short of all of that, can always try Support (its the tab next to Community FAQ and Guidelines). I am confident they would be willing to help you out, I am so sorry you have missed out on some of the more recent Warframe events going on! 

4 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

I can sympathise with feeling like a difficult case, in real life, a decent amount of my time is advocating for people who are for various reasons, usually don't fit in with whats considered normal, myself included, so even with video games, I tend to be aware of certain accessibility issues some individuals may face, which may unusual. 

23 Test is the one where you have to keep up with certain moving checkmarks/circles that move around a lot, yes? Plus enemies will shoot at you. I remember that one being a struggle, my hand reflexes aren't the best. I ended up putting a Catalyst in Loki and having to Forma him in order to do that test lol. I went with Loki because his invisibility, plus naturally fast movement speed, plus I used mods that increase his speed (and duration so I didn't have to stress about his invisibility as much). Even then though, I had to practice a lot, because the movements were a bit erratic. I could definitely see why it may create issues with many different types of players. 

I don't want to derail this thread too much though, but if you created a thread asking for MR 23 test tips or New War Archon Hunts, I would definitely participate and theory craft some of the best options to try overcome, depending on what your specific struggle is. Really often the more specific you can be about an issue, the more people can offer the best advice. Like hypothetically... surviving in the Archon hunt. There is an ability which gives healing and cleanse, so one tip, is to practice developing a pattern of timing. So recommending mental timing notes/practice so that maybe using that ability like its second nature but at certain intervals, means one less issue to try and manage. 

Of course, nerves and anxiety can make that harder, so may also have to try and encourage slower breathing, and also reassuring ones self, as to avoid putting excess pressure on ones self. Though maybe your ability to manage such cool downs that way, is the hard bit in which case we could try focusing on something else, like the best places to stand in the map. 

Someone might be aware of a really good guide on Youtube that goes step by step, and that might be a way too. You just do your best to replicate their actions. 

There might be some negative people on such threads, but often its people who just confuse such threads for criticism. In my experience if you are just asking for help, advice, tips etc people will be much more positive, friendly and willing to help. 

Plus short of all of that, can always try Support (its the tab next to Community FAQ and Guidelines). I am confident they would be willing to help you out, I am so sorry you have missed out on some of the more recent Warframe events going on! 

Thank you

I will convince myself to start my own thread, soon :)

I can wait for MR23 test for after, if ever, I finish new war. Last time I tried it, I managed to capture one mobile target so that’s progress 😜 

Turn the sound down and put on an audio book, so you mentally check out from what's going on, on the screen, or watch a movie on another monitor.

Kind of like peeling potatoes, you can do it while really doing something else.

But yes you often get the impression, they are only focused on how to artificially prolong the grind.

For instance disabling jogging or running for the crime scene, or 5 forma weapons, that themselves have to be grinded multiple time for element damage.

I despised this quest. I despise using the Operator, or any non-warframe content in the game. Necramechs, Archwings, etc... just don't "feel fun." There's nothing you can say to change how I feel about that... it's personal opinion.

The technical aspect of locking you into the quest is the killer here. There's nothing lore-wise preventing you from returning to the normal game, due to "Eternalism" (You ARE in the quest, and you are NOT in the quest.)

My only suggestion is to skip Boreal. Amar was simple. I never tried Nira as the Drifter, so I can't say how that goes, but I hear she's one of the easier ones.

A mini-game, as a forced requirement for progress in the main game, is always a bad idea for games. (Kingdom Hearts does this too, in one of the sequels, and I nearly quit that as well.) Path of Exile has a Labyrinth required to get your "advanced class", which is a mini-game that disregards many aspects of a player's build, with the intent to make it a level playing field, but ends up catering to a fraction of builds that focus on armor and movement abilities. And contrary to the rest of the game, less health is better, due to the traps in there doing percentage damage, so it's faster to heal back to max... very counterintuitive... the whole experience DID make me quit that game.

I fully understand the horrible feeling that is being stuck in a mini-game, when you like the rest of the game.

I do NOT look forward to the Duviri Paradox... it'll be another Non-update for me.
(But at least, I hope it will be optional.)

I have always advocated the use of progressive difficulty, especially for a quest that you cannot quit. 

Failed once, stalker revive you. Failed twice, boss attack deals half damage. Failed again, boss health cut in half. Managed to fail again? Boss movement slow down by half AND stalker will be there to help you indefinitely until you practically cannot fail the mission.

You want difficulty? Try doing it without dying. You just want to get it done? Just lay back and let stalker carry you. Everyone happy.

9 hours ago, empresslilandra said:

What vanaukas said. I can't kill the archons in the wild hunt in the new war quest so i'm stuck.

Use the environment to hide if needed. I did the owl and wolf (loki and rhino archons) and for the owl there were plenty of tree roots to hide behind and for the wolf there was a well placed rock to run around if needed. All you really need to do in the fights is learn the mechanics, youtube should help with that quickly but I can line them up here in summary.

Owl. Pretty much dodge around the tree roots and unload with your bow on it. When the field that knocks you back happens just push inside it and shoot at the owl and it will go away. Go back to dodging aorund the tree roots and unload with your bow. Rince and repeat til it is dead. Use your abilities as needed, I cant remember them all but there is atleast one that heals.

Rhino. Very straight forward. Just dont allow him to charge you, just shoot him like a madman and take care of the mirror images when they spawn so the real one will appear.

For the snake I have no clue since I never did that fight as operator and when I finaly fought it my wukong clone killed it before I had a chance to see it.

I think what's worse than the inability to quit the quest is the lack of assistance in areas that are a struggle. I am fortunate that right next to my teevee and Xbox is his teevee and Xbox so... he did the one stealth part I got super frustrated with for me and I annihilated the one boss that was infuriating him for him. He is better at being sneaky and I am better at kill all the things -- and we both can acknowledge it.

I have no doubt people are trying to be helpful when they say "watch a vid on YouTube," but let's be realistic: if I point you to the video of the guy shooting a dime outta the air with a bow you're prolly not gonna be able to shoot a dime outta the air with a bow after watching the video, even if you know all the mechanics involved. 😂

I finished the quest in a reasonable amount of time and none of it had any lasting effect on me. I STILL don't understand why anyone has to be locked out of so-called normal Warframe once it's started -- no technical reason, fantastical reason, immersion reason, or any reason in between.

My advice to OP would be to find somebody you trust who can wrap it up for you so you can get back to playing the actual game you want to play.

9 hours ago, ArxDurusMaximus said:

There is no quest anywhere Fallout: New Vegas(...) that locks you out of other game content.

You can't get back to the main game if you start some DLCs until you finish them... In fact, 3 of them (NV has 4). Old world blues, Dead Money and Honest Hearts locks you from the main game until you finish the whole quest or at least the main quest. Lonesome Road is the only one that you can get out at your will and it must be because it's the true endgame, so players could get softlocked if they aren't able to deal with it. 

19 hours ago, ArxDurusMaximus said:

(PSN)Zero_029:  I am clearly missing something.  I don't understand how these things relate to non-Warframe content.  To me the simply solution to non-Warframe content is to make it brief or optional, as it has been in the past.  Either create content for your game called Warframe where people can use the Warframes they love, or if you're going to force them out of their Frames, don't do it for long periods, just give them the OPTION to do stuff out of their Frames if they want to.  It seemed to work in the past.  But the problem is really worse than that.  Not only did they take away your Warframe, they also took away your Primaries, your Secondaries, your Melees, your Archwings, your Companions, your Mods...  They literally took away everything that makes Warframe Warframe, and replaced it with some other game set in the same universe.  And again, if you do this briefly, it's fine.  If you do it for hours on end that people can't get out of...  Well, that's why this post exists.

DE has been consistently taking us out of our Loadouts (Warframes, Primaries, Secondaries, Melee) for some time now. Just they've honestly been Masters at the slight of hand as many haven't noticed it.

Examples: 

Archwing - This is essentially a different character as Archwing until Landscape maps had their own weapons and stats, the Warframe you play as is purely cosmetic.

Operator - War Within took the Warframe away as well. Making the quest meatier and more interesting gameplay wise.

Railjack - Once again, the Vessel is actually another character. Before Corpus Railjack, the bulk of Railjack was in the vessel. 

Necramech - New characters. Akin to Archwing in the reguard that they have their own stats and arguably movement systems. Additionally, they do not use the player's base weaponry, they use Archguns which have very better tuned and balanced mods.

Kahl - No mods or loadouts at all.

Drifter - Duviri will be focused on the Drifter. If Tennocon is accurate, we won't be dealing with Mods, our base loadout, and etc for the bulk of it (much like in The New War).

What does this all have in common? Why drone on about all this Zero?

Well, by creating new characters that we are forced to play DE essentially resets the player's power. By forcing us out of the Warframe and into other bodies we lose our ridiculous power that they cannot balance gameplay around. 

So we have to level up, equip, and farm upgrades for brand new characters all over again. 

This isn't a bad design tbh, but it's becoming more common because the players are legitmately too powerful. 

How do you balance any form of gameplay around players who can easily do upwards of over a million damage PER SHOT/SLASH? 

You can't. 

But as Damage Attenuation showed, players take it personally when DE puts strict limits on them. They feel robbed of their hard earned work earning said power.

So ideally...the best idea is to rework it all. 

If mods, weapons, and frames were to be rebalanced into a formula that has hard caps, rules, and limits then DE could focus more on Warframe related content and not on how to circumvent it to prevent players from face rolling content in an instant. 

Using Heart of Deimos and Angel's of the Zariman for examples. Due to the fact players could save up standing, most players had max standing and then some in under a week as they just steamrolled the content without a thought. Basically a weekend of actually playing the game, then days if just turning in Tokens until Max Rank. 

Now, if things were more in line/rebalanced, DE could have made Angels a threat, and Thraxx something to go: "Oh boy here we go..." when they arrive. 

Instead we just pointed our guns at the new design the pixels took and pulled the trigger then went: "Let's Mosey"

So you have to ask yourself this. How would DE design TNW? 

Many here have finished it and let's be honest forums...we all laughed at the final Archon. In fact, many felt it was too easy. Hell, steel path butchers put up a better fight. 

Now...imagine if that had been the entire New War? We play as Kahl, Veso, Teshin, then you steamroll the entire campaign as your Warframe. What would The New War be then? 

Obviously, I can't help you finish The New War or convince you to stay. But I can try to shine a light on the issue and why they approached the quest (and future quests and possibly content) the way they are. 

The truth is ugly and the truth is...

Warframe needs a stat squish & overhaul. It's been 9 years. The game needs to be reigned back in. It's out of control.

10 hours ago, ArxDurusMaximus said:

All the games I listed, how do you think you progress to other areas of those games? You are quite literally locked into a quest to advance to that next area, otherwise you literally cannot complete the game.

5 hours ago, empresslilandra said:

Thank you

I will convince myself to start my own thread, soon :)

I can wait for MR23 test for after, if ever, I finish new war. Last time I tried it, I managed to capture one mobile target so that’s progress 😜 

Ok this is for OP @ArxDurusMaximus and you.

Please, tell me, where are you failling on each archon. What's the part that you cannot get done. And I'll promise I'll make a video specifically for both of you, but only for 2 archons.

I won't be using any fancy rolling (unless necessary), just mostly jumping, using abilities and shooting.

I'm also "old" by gaming standards, so I don't have the best reflexes in the world. I'll be waiting for the responses. If you don't want a video or tips just let me know too.+

Just letting you know that support WON'T HELP YOU WITH THIS. The only way to finish new war is finishing new war.

On 2022-12-02 at 10:25 PM, ArxDurusMaximus said:

I'd love to get back to enjoying myself in Warframe.  If you eventually come up with an option to get out of this garbage, I'd gladly take it.  Until then, well, it's a damn shame.  I'll miss Warframe.

I too was not a fan of the New War Experience.

I read up on just how frustrating and different it feels for many players.

Therefore, I simply ignored it and played the WF I enjoy.

At some point, as I often am, I was thinking about a new game. I don't play any game to the exclusion of others, I always have 2-5 installed and playing.

It was at that point I decided to play the New War and I treated it like the tutorial/start of a new game I was trying out for size...I did not come in expecting or wanting WF.

It worked for me. I played it little by little while playing my other games. I played New War just like I was learning a new game. That kept it fresh and fun, because I did not set my expectations to be playing WF. It still took me a few sessions, some of which are just like with 'normal' WF, I would log in and decide I was not in the mood and log right back out...but eventually, I learned enough of the 'new game' to get out of the new tutorial and was back to WF...that I continue to play in small bites.

Hope that might help you find a way to approach your dilemma.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)Skippy575 said:

OP, in the time spent replying to comments on this thread, you could've looked up several YouTube guides and beat the quest by now.

Why do people always say this? I mean…if a person could have finished it by now by looking up several guides, maybe they would have? 

I keep getting told this so I stopped asking for help. Don’t know why I decided to break my self imposed rule today.

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Use the environment to hide if needed. I did the owl and wolf (loki and rhino archons) and for the owl there were plenty of tree roots to hide behind and for the wolf there was a well placed rock to run around if needed. All you really need to do in the fights is learn the mechanics, youtube should help with that quickly but I can line them up here in summary.

Owl. Pretty much dodge around the tree roots and unload with your bow on it. When the field that knocks you back happens just push inside it and shoot at the owl and it will go away. Go back to dodging aorund the tree roots and unload with your bow. Rince and repeat til it is dead. Use your abilities as needed, I cant remember them all but there is atleast one that heals.

Rhino. Very straight forward. Just dont allow him to charge you, just shoot him like a madman and take care of the mirror images when they spawn so the real one will appear.

For the snake I have no clue since I never did that fight as operator and when I finaly fought it my wukong clone killed it before I had a chance to see it.

Thank you

Archived