Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It takes almost half a year to collect all the incarnon adapters- Timegated FOMO is the wrong direction for WF

Kaiga

On 2023-05-02 at 10:53 AM, quxier said:

To be honest I'm not sure what can be more addicting. Timegates or "asian style mmo".

However timegates still can hook you into playing. Thing changes every day? I need to play it daily. With increasing number of timegates there are more hooks, increasing time of play.

Getting someone hooked isnt the same as it being addicting. You playing 1 hour per day to finish dailies isnt the same as someone playing 12+ hours per day trying to get something based on RNG.

On 2023-05-02 at 12:58 PM, Felsagger said:

True. 

On one thing we both agree. The individual should be responsible of his/her time. Investing time in work, education and family is way better than debating if a game could be worse or better. Anyway Ervin, have a good morning. I'll let the thread follow its own course. Carry on. 

That is very subjective. For me life is about pleasure, entertainment and fun before I kick the bucket, so work is done to a minimum to sustain my living standard, which means education is whatever the work requires. And family is something I dont want, since it isnt part of pleasure, entertainment or fun, since it would require more time spent on work and/or education to bring in more money to sustain the standard of more people, and it would bind me to someone else.

11 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Getting someone hooked isnt the same as it being addicting. You playing 1 hour per day to finish dailies isnt the same as someone playing 12+ hours per day trying to get something based on RNG.

That's correct. 

But is correct too that excessive time gates overextend the content artificially. 

11 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

That is very subjective. For me life is about pleasure, entertainment and fun before I kick the bucket, so work is done to a minimum to sustain my living standard, which means education is whatever the work requires. And family is something I dont want, since it isnt part of pleasure, entertainment or fun, since it would require more time spent on work and/or education to bring in more money to sustain the standard of more people, and it would bind me to someone else.

You are trolling there. 

Investing time in work, family and education is always better and productive. That is an absolute. 

11 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

Investing time in work, family and education is always better and productive. That is an absolute.

And this is willfully and woefully misguided.

Sure some people want to get more more more and are never satisfied with what they have, and don't see the point in having fun and relaxing.
Other people want to go slower and enjoy their time and life, they are satisfied with what they have and are having fun and relaxing.

Some people want a family to share their life with and focus themselves around their family and making sure their family is doing as well as possible.
Other people want to just live life alone or with a few close friends and don't want to tie themselves down to a family or have to worry about taking care of other people.

Some people want to learn and grow and constantly enrich themselves.
Other people want to just coast by with what's needed.

Neither lifestyle is wrong. 
What is wrong is trying to claim that people that don't constantly want more, that don't constantly want to achieve more, that don't want a family, are wrong....and then doubling down by saying that your position is the absolute and therefore only right opinion is just sad....

Just because other people don't want to live the life you want to doesn't make them wrong.  You trying to impose your opinions as absolute fact though makes you wrong.

3 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

That's correct. 

But is correct too that excessive time gates overextend the content artificially. 

You are trolling there. 

Timegates suck imo, since I prefer to play when I want to fully, and be able to sink my teeth into something.

No. Work, family and education is not an absolute best. Living your life the way you want to before it is over is the best. If work, education and family is the meaning of life to you then good for you. For me it isnt.

28 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:
On 2023-05-02 at 10:53 AM, quxier said:

To be honest I'm not sure what can be more addicting. Timegates or "asian style mmo".

However timegates still can hook you into playing. Thing changes every day? I need to play it daily. With increasing number of timegates there are more hooks, increasing time of play.

It's more about how you are "forced" to do certain activities at certain times. Sure, weeklies are not hard but I've seen games where you have to manage hours. Both (long hours, rng etc AND do certain activity at certain time) seems addicting.

Just now, quxier said:

It's more about how you are "forced" to do certain activities at certain times. Sure, weeklies are not hard but I've seen games where you have to manage hours. Both (long hours, rng etc AND do certain activity at certain time) seems addicting.

Addiction is most often something that is actually detrimental for you in some way. It does not really include things like managing hours and so on. It is something that is done excessively and in an "unhealthy" way for you. A timegate is really only like any other scheduled hobby. I doubt you'd call it addicting having soccer practice 3 times a week at X hour of the day that requires you to leave time open for it?

3 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

And this is willfully and woefully misguided.

Says you. 

Family, work and education is far more important than video games.

That's an absolute. 

Sure some people want to get more more more and are never satisfied with what they have, and don't see the point in having fun and relaxing.
Other people want to go slower and enjoy their time and life, they are satisfied with what they have and are having fun and relaxing.

I am satisfied with the games I have. If DE doesn't provide me the product I want, I simply pick up my luggage and leave. That simple. I play moderately only fridays. Video games are meant to be a hobby not a second job. This is why people pay upfront the price for a game instead of farming for items that takes a ton of time to collect when ordinary games provides the same fun for less invested time. 

Some people want a family to share their life with and focus themselves around their family and making sure their family is doing as well as possible.

True. 

Other people want to just live life alone or with a few close friends and don't want to tie themselves down to a family or have to worry about taking care of other people.

Choices. Perfectly reasonable. 

Some people want to learn and grow and constantly enrich themselves.

True. 

Other people want to just coast by with what's needed.

Doing productive activities like working for their own food, pushing their own weight. True. 

Neither lifestyle is wrong. 

As I said, video games ARE NOT a second job. They are intended to be a HOBBY. 

What is wrong is trying to claim that people that don't constantly want more, that don't constantly want to achieve more, that don't want a family, are wrong....and then doubling down by saying that your position is the absolute and therefore only right opinion is just sad....

Do you prefer working and getting your money for your food and family or you just want to press buttons moving a mannequin in a vectorial space? 

Choose. 

Just because other people don't want to live the life you want to doesn't make them wrong.  You trying to impose your opinions as absolute fact though makes you wrong.

Choose video games, and see what happens. There are priorities. Again those are an absolute. 

Yes there is time for video games, there is time for entertainment, there is time for work and there is time for family. 

Keyword: MODERATION. 

Hint: Video games are not work. They are a hobby. RNG extends the time of extrinsic game play. It's an artificial way of overextending the content of a video game artificially. 

3 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

No. Work, family and education is not an absolute best.

Yes, they are. It's an absolute. Sorry but that has no refutation. 

Living your life the way you want to before it is over is the best. If work, education and family is the meaning of life to you then good for you. For me it isnt.

Priorities. That's perfectly valid. 

3 hours ago, quxier said:

Quxier, YOU ARE NOT allowed to use common sense on these boards. 

/s

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:
2 hours ago, quxier said:

Addiction is most often something that is actually detrimental for you in some way. It does not really include things like managing hours and so on. It is something that is done excessively and in an "unhealthy" way for you. A timegate is really only like any other scheduled hobby. I doubt you'd call it addicting having soccer practice 3 times a week at X hour of the day that requires you to leave time open for it?

Yeah, but addictions don't start from nowhere. Like all repeated behaviors (habits) they start small. You don't start working out with 100 push ups daily. That's too much for fat person. You start with e.g. 1 push ups, you walk to park etc. You do it every day because it's easy (not many people cannot do at least 1 push up). It start to become habit. You then increase it.

Like with 1 push up doing some content is easy. It's only 1 mission. You do it everyday and after few years it's habit of yours.

5 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

I doubt you'd call it addicting having soccer practice 3 times a week at X hour of the day that requires you to leave time open for it?

It really depends. It's like cleaning. Cleaning is good, right? Not when you have to learn something (or just do anything else).

2 hours ago, Felsagger said:
5 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

No. Work, family and education is not an absolute best.

What if you don't have family?

5 hours ago, quxier said:

Quxier, YOU ARE NOT allowed to use common sense on these boards. 

To be honest it's not very common sense. If that were common sense we would be already living having enough food, happy etc. Addiction or habits are not as simple as "do this every day". There is many "things" that happens in our brain that makes us who we are. I've read/watched many stuffs about addictions and habit creations so I'm aware of some of them. Yet... I have addiction myself.

5 hours ago, Felsagger said:

It is not an absolute. What is considered productive depends on the goal of each individual.

Choosing not to be a modern day slave shouldn't be looked down upon, as the majority of workers do not benefit at all from the success of those they work for, but receive all the drawbacks associated with being 'productive' such as degraded mental and physical health. Slowly killing yourself so someone else makes more money seems like the opposite of productive to me. 

Not everyone can physically start their own family either, does this make them worthless? If someone chooses not to start their own, it isn't the end of the world.

By the way, being 'productive' at work and prioritizing family are complete opposite goals. If you truly focus on your own family, this means sacrificing work at some point, and if you focus on work this means sacrificing your family. Some people are 'less productive' because their value time with others more.

The 'productive' thing to do should be doing what ever the individual finds joy in so long as they aren't harming another person in the process. Someone choosing to do the bare minimum to earn an income and playing games the rest of the day isn't any less productive than the person choosing to work the entire day. Eventually a lot of work is going to be automated, sooner or later the perspective on what's productive will have to change regardless.

5 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

DE are taking control of people's lives and dictating how we spend our time, by making an optional activity available which takes a couple hours to complete, and whose rewards reshuffle every week.

100% agreed well said. Warframe is turning into every other f2p MMO out there.

Honestly, wait for the content creators to get out which ones are worth picking.

For example, the Melee Incarnons have been, by and large, meh at best and not adding enough at worst.

Last week was the Braton and the Paris as the two top picks, now me personally I don't care for those weapons so I wasn't fussed about doing steel path that week.

This week the top picks are Strun and the Lato...fortunately for me I picked the Strun first and the Furax second...when reviews came in on the Incarnon Bo and unfortunately I picked the Furax second....yeah should have known from the first week that Incarnon melee weapons don't do enough but...I'm not THAT fussed about missing the Lato, I'm a shotgun guy over a rifle guy anyway.

I'm just sad the Tigris doesn't have one, I'd like it to join the Felarx as one of the premier boss killing shotguns and perhaps get back some of the old power it once had.

As for FOMO...I missed Primed Pointblank by a week...Baro had it the week before I started...so I know I've got a 6 month wait for it now...le sigh.

1 hour ago, Yamazuki said:

It is not an absolute. What is considered productive depends on the goal of each individual.

It's an absolute. 

With video game you do not produce anything good for your life if you make it an addiction. 

If you have work, family and education, that is far better than playing video games. 

Can you play video games as a hobby, of course. But that comes later when responsibilities are not affected and there is available time. 

Choosing not to be a modern day slave shouldn't be looked down upon, as the majority of workers do not benefit at all from the success of those they work for, but receive all the drawbacks associated with being 'productive' such as degraded mental and physical health. Slowly killing yourself so someone else makes more money seems like the opposite of productive to me. 

Being a slave to video game is much worse. 

It hurts the individual entirely. 

Not everyone can physically start their own family either, does this make them worthless? If someone chooses not to start their own, it isn't the end of the world.

You don't need to start any family. It is enough if you sustain yourself, have a job and balance your habits. That's perfectly fine. 

By the way, being 'productive' at work and prioritizing family are complete opposite goals.

No it isn't. People do both. You may choose one or the other. There are people that can do both. I can't have a family if I do not produce meny to sustain it. However if I do not have a family I still need a job to sustain myself, my place where I live and my electricity bills and so on. 

Video games are a hobby, not everybody has enough time for them. 

If you truly focus on your own family, this means sacrificing work at some point, and if you focus on work this means sacrificing your family. Some people are 'less productive' because their value time with others more.

You can do concesiones. Nothing is written in stone. Again I have a wife and I work. I chose this over video games. This is the real life. That life has responsibilities. That life simply throws away video games aside because every minute counts. 

This is why I say that video games SHOULD NOT be a second job. I don't have enough time to farm for such items that requires long play and RNG on top of that. 

The 'productive' thing to do should be doing what ever the individual finds joy in so long as they aren't harming another person in the process. Someone choosing to do the bare minimum to earn an income and playing games the rest of the day isn't any less productive than the person choosing to work the entire day. Eventually a lot of work is going to be automated, sooner or later the perspective on what's productive will have to change regardless.

True. 

But if you do not produce money you will not even eat, much less have time for playing video games, an activity that requires time, money and lots of electronic devices like the payment of internet. 

See? 

About the incarnon adapters, the time wall required for them is simply way too much. Takes a year and a half to collect them. That is way too much. 

16 hours ago, quxier said:

If you consider that anything that isn't strictly "big enough damage" is "padding the progress with unnecessary mechanics" then there is nothing to talk about.

There will be someone complaining about DE padding the game

Hence, whatever Devs do it's not possible to create content that player will play same amount of time as Dev. It's not worth to hear such complains where player wants new content all the time.

Hence, the time gate and limits imposed. Not because the lack of content but because some people just have no control over themselves and pin the blame on "LACK OF CONTENT"

Do you mean 1 update? Then no.

Even if DE can make a year worth of content in one month, someone will exhaust the content in less than that time and back to complaining "there's no content"

These things (RNG, time gates & FOMO) were present probably in time before Warframe creation (2013). I'm not hardcore player but looking in Google I can see WoW has been created in 2004, Diablo in 1996. So at least RNG (for loot) were known already before Warframe (2013). Timegates & FOMO probably too.

Even on offline games you can see timegates, FOMO and RNG, not just online games

It's an absolute.

Funny how you put your view as absolute and anything that doesn't align with your view is opinion

About the incarnon adapters, the time wall required for them is simply way too much. Takes a year and a half to collect them. That is way too much. 

And out of nowhere people start complaining about stuff they don't usually use like archon shards for every frame even when they don't use most of them such as hydroid

2 hours ago, TheArmchairThinker said:
18 hours ago, quxier said:

If you consider that anything that isn't strictly "big enough damage" is "padding the progress with unnecessary mechanics" then there is nothing to talk about.

There will be someone complaining about DE padding the game

That's why you balance it. You cannot slap "better" enemies with normal rewards. Eximus are like this. Better enemies without any rewards. They used to give you like 60k credits per missions. It wasn't a lot but at least you could earn enough credits in week or 2 for 1 prime mod. Now it's blatant lie that they give more rewards. Same for Archons. Whole damage reduction, enemy spawn, 3 missions for measly +10% strength every 3 week.

Hence, whatever Devs do it's not possible to create content that player will play same amount of time as Dev. It's not worth to hear such complains where player wants new content all the time.

Hence, the time gate and limits imposed. Not because the lack of content but because some people just have no control over themselves and pin the blame on "LACK OF CONTENT"

And you still get complain about time gates, fomo and lack of content. THEY SHOULDN'T CARE ABOUT SPEEDRUNERS AND THEIR "LACK OF CONTENT".

Do you mean 1 update? Then no.

Even if DE can make a year worth of content in one month, someone will exhaust the content in less than that time and back to complaining "there's no content"

Again, are updates give 1 year content OR hypothetically if they give 1 year content.

19 hours ago, quxier said:

These things (RNG, time gates & FOMO) were present probably in time before Warframe creation (2013). I'm not hardcore player but looking in Google I can see WoW has been created in 2004, Diablo in 1996. So at least RNG (for loot) were known already before Warframe (2013). Timegates & FOMO probably too.

Even on offline games you can see timegates, FOMO and RNG, not just online games

But it is (was) not so prominent. I've used to buy offline games and, you know, just play it. With those games I don't have to wait, I don't have 5% chance.

17 hours ago, Felsagger said:

No, work is only an absolute in the sense that it is a must, a need in order to survive. And depending on your living standard that work may or may not require an education, which makes education not an absolute. Just as family is a matter of want and not a need. An optional way of life that also may impact how important or not an education will be, but even there, most "mundane" work will bring in enough money for a family to survive.

And even if work is an absolute in the sense of being a need for most people, it doesnt make it "best", since that also depends on if you enjoy your work or not.

Everything comes down to "earning our living" where living is what we want out of life. For me personally, all I actually need is a 50% position at some trivial job that needs no education in order to sustain myself and what I want to get out of life before I keel over.

If you ment that work is a must or need, then I wouldnt disagree, but I doubt that since you also pulled in education and family in the same claim, both of which are very very optional paths in life. But the way you talk after that about work, it seems more like you mean it is a need/must and not an absolute best part/path in life.

15 hours ago, quxier said:

Yeah, but addictions don't start from nowhere. Like all repeated behaviors (habits) they start small. You don't start working out with 100 push ups daily. That's too much for fat person. You start with e.g. 1 push ups, you walk to park etc. You do it every day because it's easy (not many people cannot do at least 1 push up). It start to become habit. You then increase it.

Like with 1 push up doing some content is easy. It's only 1 mission. You do it everyday and after few years it's habit of yours.

It really depends. It's like cleaning. Cleaning is good, right? Not when you have to learn something (or just do anything else).

But a habit isnt the same as an addiction. A habit can be anything, including an addiction. Smoking is a habit and an addiction for instance. Getting out of bed at 6 every morning is a habit but not an addiction. Taking a shower before having breakfast every single day in your life is a habit but not an addiction. Alcoholism isnt really a habit, but it is an addiction, while at the same time having a single glass of wine or whiskey every single day when you get home is a habit but not an addiction.

31 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

No, work is only an absolute in the sense that it is a must, a need in order to survive. And depending on your living standard that work may or may not require an education, which makes education not an absolute. Just as family is a matter of want and not a need. An optional way of life that also may impact how important or not an education will be, but even there, most "mundane" work will bring in enough money for a family to survive.

And even if work is an absolute in the sense of being a need for most people, it doesnt make it "best", since that also depends on if you enjoy your work or not.

Everything comes down to "earning our living" where living is what we want out of life. For me personally, all I actually need is a 50% position at some trivial job that needs no education in order to sustain myself and what I want to get out of life before I keel over.

If you ment that work is a must or need, then I wouldnt disagree, but I doubt that since you also pulled in education and family in the same claim, both of which are very very optional paths in life. But the way you talk after that about work, it seems more like you mean it is a need/must and not an absolute best part/path in life.

But a habit isnt the same as an addiction. A habit can be anything, including an addiction. Smoking is a habit and an addiction for instance. Getting out of bed at 6 every morning is a habit but not an addiction. Taking a shower before having breakfast every single day in your life is a habit but not an addiction. Alcoholism isnt really a habit, but it is an addiction, while at the same time having a single glass of wine or whiskey every single day when you get home is a habit but not an addiction.

Good morning. 

I pass on this one. The argument ended. The thread ran his last legs. 

But a habit isnt the same as an addiction. A habit can be anything, including an addiction.

Yes, habits can be bad or good (or something in between). On other hand I hear "addiction" as derogatory term (except for songs with "I'm addicted to you").

Smoking is a habit and an addiction for instance. Getting out of bed at 6 every morning is a habit but not an addiction. Taking a shower before having breakfast every single day in your life is a habit but not an addiction. Alcoholism isnt really a habit, but it is an addiction, while at the same time having a single glass of wine or whiskey every single day when you get home is a habit but not an addiction.

While I'm not alcoholic I would say I was (not so much nowadays) addicted to "sweet things". I would say that has lot of habits, that I were probably not even aware of.

And I would say that drinking 1 glass is still addiction but I hate it so I'm not very objective about it.

However my point were that everything start small. You don't even know and you are addicted to something.

15 minutes ago, quxier said:

Yes, habits can be bad or good (or something in between). On other hand I hear "addiction" as derogatory term (except for songs with "I'm addicted to you").

While I'm not alcoholic I would say I was (not so much nowadays) addicted to "sweet things". I would say that has lot of habits, that I were probably not even aware of.

And I would say that drinking 1 glass is still addiction but I hate it so I'm not very objective about it.

However my point were that everything start small. You don't even know and you are addicted to something.

I sort of started smoking once. Stopped, absolutely dead stopped, with no problems, never touched another cigarette, once I came home a little drunk and realised that my hands could roll a perfectly smokable cigarette. That was like "Oh, this is becoming a habit. Well let's nip that in the bud." Never smoked another one since.

Similarly, I have a few beers once or twice a month, but I don't think that I'll ever have an alcohol problem. I don't drink often enough, and to be honest, when [ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE SOUL DESTROYING SUICIDE INDUCING STUFF, OH MY GOD] happened years ago, and I didn't develop a drinking problem then? Yeah, it's not in me.

I am, however, definitely a functional caffeine addict. I have the equivalent of three or four cups of coffee a day.

Anyway, all that's tangential. Part of the point here is as follows:
- You don't need every Incarnon adapter. That's just being a completionist for its own sake, they don't even grant any Mastery points.
- They're also genuinely not hard to get. Takes like a couple hours of moderately hard missions, tops, to pick up an Incarnon adapter. This talk of turning Warframe into a second job for the sake of Incarnon completion is laughable. Even if you wanted every one of them as fast as possible, that's achievable by just playing warframe for three or four hours a week, and doing so for a couple months. It's legitimately not a huge deal.
- If the time gating/weekly shuffle is what bothers you, then I guess it would be nice if DE allowed you to pull a 'bonus/retrieval' round, i.e. if you can cap both of your Incarnon selections in Week B, you get to slect a third, bonus Incarnon that you missed from the previous Week A and work towards that, much like how Nightwaves work.

I do quite genuinely find the talk of the Incarnon acqisition as a 'second job' to be mildly ridiculous. No-one is forcing you to grind for them all, and they're also genuinely not all that hard or especially time consuming to do.

21 minutes ago, quxier said:

I was also addicted to sweet things earlier in my life and felt bad when I didnt get my sugar. Just as I'm addicted to coffee these days and feel off if I dont get it daily in the right amounts. A lower amount can keep me feel good for the day, but the day after it often results in me waking up with a headache or similar. Though if I keep away from it for a few days I'll feel normal without it again.

1 glass per day is only an addiction if they need it to not feel withdrawal, but most people dont with such limited drinking and wont really notice if they got it or not aside from that moment of relaxation as they sit down with it. Heck, even doctors recommend things like 1 glass of red per day for people with heart issues of different kinds.

It really depends on the type of timegate if it results in an increased risk for addiction or not. Old alerts were of the worse kind, since they promoted you to stick to a clock constantly to get nitain. But with timegates like seen in Veilbreaker and now parts of Duviri it doesnt really promote addiction, since you have a full week to do very minimal tasks over that time. Just for Veilbreaker I pretty much played on the monday and if Duviri only had the timegated things I would have played 1 day per week probably, maybe I would have spread out the tiers over a few per day in 30 minute sessions or something. Not really any grounds for addiction there.

Archived