Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who else bought the heirlooms?

19 hours ago, Jarriaga said:

At that point you need a whale to offset the revenue you didn't contribute while "paying with your time". 

But at the same time you have the opposite side, where players can leave because their time isn't respected, resulting in a worse experience even for whales who stay because they lack the playerbase to keep being an active whale in. Especially when some whales explicitly enjoy the 'clout' they get from having things others don't, they still need the players who aren't whales to be able to whale to their fullest potential because it's not always explicitly just about spending big $.

They need to respect players time and investments to keep a balanced environment, so as to promote both whales and free players joining and staying. As well as the fact that the more accessible and fair a game is, the more it generally draws people in, the more people it draws in, the more whales you could potentially have. If they truly care about maximizing whales, they should also care about respecting the free to play experience.

Just because someone isn't spending doesn't mean they aren't resulting in money being spent. 

Bought the top bundle, have been enjoying the skins. Mag skin in particular is exceptionally good. Undecided yet whether I'll be using no signa, her signa, or Frost's signa with her though. Still need to give Frost's signa a few solid missions of play before I make a decision. Mostly indifferent to Frost's skin. I don't play Frost, don't particularly enjoy his kit and always feel like I'm not really contributing anything when I do play him. Plus, I just prefer to play female frames anyways.

Purchased the cheapest pack as the other ones don't have what i want really.

The skins are nice, but i already have skins for frost and mag, the only frost skin i would get to replace the deluxe skin would be a tennogen copra frost, which doesn't exist. Regal aya, plat and other things are also not of my interest and even if they were, the bundles are not competitive in terms of pricing.

The color pallete is possibly the only thing i want/need really, the remaining stuff is just an extra

5 hours ago, NecroPed said:

But at the same time you have the opposite side, where players can leave because their time isn't respected, resulting in a worse experience even for whales who stay because they lack the playerbase to keep being an active whale in. Especially when some whales explicitly enjoy the 'clout' they get from having things others don't, they still need the players who aren't whales to be able to whale to their fullest potential because it's not always explicitly just about spending big $.

They need to respect players time and investments to keep a balanced environment, so as to promote both whales and free players joining and staying. As well as the fact that the more accessible and fair a game is, the more it generally draws people in, the more people it draws in, the more whales you could potentially have. If they truly care about maximizing whales, they should also care about respecting the free to play experience.

Just because someone isn't spending doesn't mean they aren't resulting in money being spent. 

If this was true in any way, shape or form you would never see games such as Survivor IO being top grossers. That's a game that fully disrespects your time to the point it doesn't even let you complete the in-game activities it assigns on daily challenges without spending their premium currency. Applied to WF that's like requiring you to pay plat just to complete your daily Nightwave challenges.

Whales don't care about their time being respected; that's explicitly the reason why they can be reliably targeted. Survivor IO being a mobile game doesn't change that unless you wish to imply mobile whales and console/PC whales are different demographics (They are not. Look at Diablo Immortal). Whales are going to whale. 

3 hours ago, Jarriaga said:

If this was true in any way, shape or form you would never see games such as Survivor IO being top grossers. That's a game that fully disrespects your time to the point it doesn't even let you complete the in-game activities it assigns on daily challenges without spending their premium currency. Applied to WF that's like requiring you to pay plat just to complete your daily Nightwave challenges.

Whales don't care about their time being respected; that's explicitly the reason why they can be reliably targeted. Survivor IO being a mobile game doesn't change that unless you wish to imply mobile whales and console/PC whales are different demographics (They are not. Look at Diablo Immortal). Whales are going to whale. 

I'm not saying it's going to be an inherent failure. People often download survivor io because it's a time waster for starters, and sure it might have some issues, but I'm just trying to emphasize that it's not very black and white, and survivor io is actually a good example of that paired up against warframe (more in below paragraph). Survivor io's success is in part because of it's simplicity and accessibility, and I'm confident the more they treat people like that the more that leave. Sure they might be able to keep afloat and get top grossing, but I doubt that game has many long term players that stay around even remotely close to what you'd have in warframe and surely has a very big playercount falloff. Literally every person I know who played it quit, every single one, and it was because their time wasn't respected, the ones who still play similar games found games that do, at least moreso, and stick with them instead. 

Yeah, and how many people would quit warframe if they were to make that change? Maybe not a game ending amount, but how many times would they want to do something like that to make people leave before they say hey that's enough, we gotta try stop players from leaving? And DE would feel that before the whales ever do too. 

I'm not saying whales necessarily always care about it, at least in the same regard as a non-whale (but that statement isn't inherently true anyway, I'm a whale and I care about my time being respected), but whales often also need people who are going to be more impacted by disrespecting time investment, a game like survivor io doesn't though so it's an entirely different situation since no one elses time investment impacts whales in survivor io whatsoever (as far as I know unless they've updated it with more content that does), whereas in Warframe other peoples time investment can impact the whales (lack of coop, lack of trading etc.), as well as there being other things that can't be bought and have to be earnt, which a whale is still going to want to feel like their time is being respected, (Especially whales who spend because they don't have a lot of time to play games, they have limited time as it is, paying helps alleviate that, but if their time isn't being respected for things they cannot pay for, whales still aren't going to necessarily be happy) or even the whale having to rely on someone else who farmed the item they're buying with platinum, if the time investment of the free players is disrespected to the point they don't farm the things the whales want to buy from them, then that directly impacts the whales before they themselves have even necessarily spent the money.

Depending on the game it can be a lot better or worse too, take a PvP shooter for example, the more players they lose the less likely the whale will stay because the game might get frustrating from longer queue times, or get stale from a lack of different people to play against. 

I bought it and I'm happy with it.

I bought it because I loved what I saw and wanted to show my support for the insane nearly 8 years of the outstanding gameplay experience DE gave me. I had the funds to do it, so I did.

In regards to people here saying they are ashamed about purchasing it, why? NO ONE HERE should be saying anything about what you choose to purchase and their BS is not for you to feel anything about. The pessimistic people will ALWAYS pounce at the nearest opportunity. If you like the skins, want them and have the funds to make the purchase, go for it and enjoy it freely. 

15 hours ago, NecroPed said:

You have a 10 year old free game that gives constant updates and offers every frame and weapon for zero dollars. Your time has been respected.

To be real, everyone here's time has always been "respected", and I really wish people would stop saying this about a video game, especially if they've played it longer than a day. If you truly respected your time, then you would know in less than one day if something entertains you. If you are spending enough of your precious time in that game's forum to discuss the game, then mission accomplished.

In regards to whales and free players, again, we're discussing a 10 year running SINGLE GAME. That means players love it enough to support it and the free players have happily enjoyed it for up to 10 years. You don't have 10 year staying power without a good recipe so, clearly, DE has been doing more than enough right things. Even this heirloom drama will not stop this game, especially since they showed off an insane view of what's to come.

I'm considering purchasing it.  When DE is doing a great job, I feel like they deserve to be paid for their work so they can keep doing even more, and this is one way I can do that.  And I like the idea of financially supporting people for doing work that positively impacts my life.

The only thing that's making me debate whether I should purchase it is that there's a Duviri bug that makes playing with certain controls very cumbersome, and I told myself that my financial support would be dependent upon that bug being fixed, since that has significantly hindered my personal ability to play and enjoy Duviri.  But then DE went and hit it out of the park at TennoCon, including the announcement of impactful accessibility features that I had frankly given up on ever seeing.  So I'm currently in a debate with myself over how to proceed.

On 2023-08-29 at 10:49 AM, (PSN)MYKK678 said:

"the players contribute playtime"

Playtime is absolutely 100% a statistic, you're correct. It helps developers see trends and engagement and what kinds of content their playerbase gravitates towards, all essential data. It contributes absolutely nothing to keeping the lights on though.

If you are playing Warframe solo and don't spend any money on it or do anything to give back to the community, then yeah, this is true.

But if you play Warframe multiplayer, DE gets value from that, because having players to play with is healthy for the game.  To use intentionally jaded terminology, other players are content.  So if you're not giving the developers any money but you play missions with other players and aren't being toxic, you are indeed indirectly helping DE.  Because your playing helps other players fill their groups, which leads to a better experience, and players having better experiences are more likely to spend money on the game.

I have no idea how to crunch the numbers of exactly how much value such a player adds, but it's not nothing, though it's definitely less than actually supporting DE directly with your cash.

I bought the entry pack because I just wanted a new Sigil I could use for stuff (like my crew specters and companions), the color palette for the shades of brown, and some extra plat for some cheap rivens I wanted to buy and roll. I was not actually aware of what the ten year accolade was at first. I guess its just one more controversial badge to plaster on my profile, nothing new.

3 hours ago, (PSN)GEN-Son_17 said:

You have a 10 year old free game that gives constant updates and offers every frame and weapon for zero dollars. Your time has been respected.

To be real, everyone here's time has always been "respected", and I really wish people would stop saying this about a video game, especially if they've played it longer than a day. If you truly respected your time, then you would know in less than one day if something entertains you. If you are spending enough of your precious time in that game's forum to discuss the game, then mission accomplished.

In regards to whales and free players, again, we're discussing a 10 year running SINGLE GAME. That means players love it enough to support it and the free players have happily enjoyed it for up to 10 years. You don't have 10 year staying power without a good recipe so, clearly, DE has been doing more than enough right things. Even this heirloom drama will not stop this game, especially since they showed off an insane view of what's to come.

Just because time has been respected in the past does not necessarily mean they continue to respect time investment and I wasn't even accusing DE of anything with that statement, I am simply trying to emphasize that it is not black and white. It is a balancing act, for both free and paid users. 

I really wish people wouldn't make statements like that because its just absurd to me. Just because you got time out of something does not necessarily mean your time is being respected, I think thats an incredibly shortsighted perspective. If you had to spend 100 times the amount of time anyone would reasonably want to spend to get something they want, their time is not being respected and their time investment is still going to be large. Such a genuinely absurd perspective. Spending too much time to do something is often an indication that time investment is not being respected. Time spent =/= time respected. 

If someone feels the need to spend more time on the forums than playing the game BECAUSE their time isnt being respected I really dont think thats a "mission accomplished".

Yes and I'm not saying people don't love it. I'm not saying people don't play it. I'm not saying people don't spend money. 

Thats exactly my point, they've had 10 years of success from giving a good balance between paid and free users, but people aren't going to ignore everything because of that. Ruining that now so they never get another 10 year success isn't a good idea, right? Not that I'm saying they're ruining things now, but I don't get why you're even trying to make this point. They're about to release an entirely new game, and if they don't follow the same/similar balancing act it might bite them in the ass. They might not get the same success if they don't consistently respect players time. 

To put it simply, success is just not as simple as only accounting for paid users. 

2 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

though it's definitely less than actually supporting DE directly with your cash.

Pretty much agree with everything you said but just wanted to touch on this in extension, and while I would think most of the time it is the case this is not necessarily always the case, in the case of farming items that are sold to other players for platinum, the entire purchase is potentially reliant on an entirely free users time investment. In this regard they can be providing an extra player to play with (which definitely doesn't account for more than directly supporting) but then on top of that, the reliance on them for trading can bump this up above a spending players value because they're resulting in multiple players spending to trade with them and if people aren't farming the items to trade to the spenders, the spenders are potentially spending less. 

I bought mine this week and they're gorgeous. Among the most beautiful skins in the game for sure. The price was steep, but I got dozens if not hundreds of hours of entertainment out of WF in the past couple years, so for me it's money well spent to support the game. And I can use the aya to get some of the prime accessories that I want and never bought before, like the targis armor this rotation.

Frankly going out twice for a couple drinks and some food would amount to the same sum. People asking for these skins to be available for plat are too far off the mark, the game needs to make money with premium cosmetics. I just hope they make smaller bundles available next time to offer more purchase options for those with a more limited budget. 

Archived