Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nearly 2,000 hours of playtime later, I learn you can stun Deacons with the Veilbreaker

Hexerin

Why was this not mentioned anywhere during the quest and/or tutorial (... was there a tutorial)? I'm assuming it works like sleep, and they don't get alerted (or at least don't know where you're at after). I'm going to have to do so much experimentation... As for how I learned this, I was boredom scrolling through my YouTube feed and watching any random videos that caught my attention. The video in question:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Why was this not mentioned anywhere during the quest and/or tutorial (... was there a tutorial)? I'm assuming it works like sleep, and they don't get alerted (or at least don't know where you're at after). I'm going to have to do so much experimentation... As for how I learned this, I was boredom scrolling through my YouTube feed and watching any random videos that caught my attention. The video in question:

It sure was. You may have just skipped it. Default PC button is 3.

There was even a task to Veilbreaker Deacons.

It doesnt work like Sleep, it is a Stun and they get pretty angry after it wears off, even if you threw it from outside their vision.

• Kahl gains a third ability dubbed Veilbreaker in Break Narmer, throwing a shock grenade that stuns enemies and veiled NPCs. Stunned veiled can be interacted with to remove their veils in a quick-time event (melee button, default E ). The shock grenade has an 8 second cooldown.
    • Shock grenades will very briefly stun most enemies when hit, even the Narmer Scyto Raknoid in Sneaky Sabotage and most importantly Narmer Deacons, who will be stunned for several seconds when in the radius or hit directly. The Narmer Thumper in Junk Run is not affected however.
Edited by Zakkhar
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

It doesnt work like Sleep, it is a Stun and they get pretty angry after it wears off, even if you threw it from outside their vision.

The fact you can't kill em, seems rather silly

1 minute ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

The fact you can't kill em, seems rather silly

You can. With the Planetary Cannon.

• Break Narmer's Sneaky Sabotage:
    • Order Strike (fire button, default Left Click ): Kahl orders an orbital strike on a location, dealing damage in a large radius and can kill Narmer Deacons who are otherwise normally immune to Kahl's attacks. Has a 10 second cooldown.
Edited by Zakkhar
  • Like 2

Yeah, 4k+ hours in, and still learn a thing or two from time to time. And no, I don't recall this particular feature being mentiioned "officially". I just desperately launched a veilbreaker shot at a Deacon in the Prison Break mission in the early days and found out it did have *some* kind of effect, even though I was expecting it to do absolutely nothing.

Edited by (PSN)Hikuro-93

4 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

I'm aware of how to actually use the Veilbreaker, my guy. I've never seen a task to use it on Deacons, however (it obviously exists though, as it's in that video). So they still get angry, eh? Do they get magical knowledge of your exact location, or do they just rage to themselves impotently?

Just now, Zakkhar said:

You can. With the Planetary Cannon.

Still one of the most excessively fun toys DE has given us, just saying. It's so damn satisfying.

Edited by Hexerin

Just now, Zakkhar said:

The latter, thankfully. Unless you stick around in their cone of vision and they swing around when angry.

So it's not quite as powerful as proper sleep (which will straight up revert the alert status on enemies), but so long as you don't dawdle it's still useful for getting past 'em. Neat.

48 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

You can. With the Planetary Cannon

Oh I know you can kill em with the cannon, but it makes zero sense that you can't outright kill them, when they are stunned, like a Stun/Kill combo, risky still cuz it can alert people but haveing to stun em and leg it, seems rather anit-grinner style 

1 hour ago, Hexerin said:

So it's not quite as powerful as proper sleep (which will straight up revert the alert status on enemies), but so long as you don't dawdle it's still useful for getting past 'em. Neat.

Basically and the best use of it is when you are accidentally spotted. In the sneaky sabotage for instance. They will chase you and veil you before you get the orbital strike.

So hitting them with the veil will make it like they never saw you after they wake up and flail for a bit. It was a wonderful panic button when I was running those missions. 

I love how people bring up 2k hours, 4k hours etc. as if Kahl friggin existed that long ago. You have played Kahl for a couple hundred hours max, most likely a lot less than that and even if you count the time Kahl has been out for (which is already an irrelevant number) you didnt even hit those hours there.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

I love how people bring up 2k hours, 4k hours etc. as if Kahl friggin existed that long ago. You have played Kahl for a couple hundred hours max, most likely a lot less than that and even if you count the time Kahl has been out for (which is already an irrelevant number) you didnt even hit those hours there.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

I was recently doing a Kahl mission and had angered some Deacons who were going to make some trouble if I didn’t somehow get them to stop chasing me. Having forgotten that it was a thing, I tried chucking a the stunner because it kind of made sense to at least attempt it.

How did you normally deal with problem Deacons who would chase?

I only recently learned it was a thing too, also by happy coincidence, I had one chasing me down and just pressed 3 in the hope it did something 😆

Before that I just made extra extra sure not to aggro them because I think they home in relentlessly once their "eye meter" fills up.

3 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Huh. They kept chasing me so aggressively and the area I was in was so small I figured there must be an alternative option, which the game is usually pretty good about in general

Their attack has an extremely long wind-up, which you can punish to give yourself a massive distance gap away from it.

13 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Their attack has an extremely long wind-up, which you can punish to give yourself a massive distance gap away from it.

That’s good to know. I honestly wasn’t expecting my mechanical knowledge of how things work to broaden because of you; I thought you’d just die

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

10 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Such a 1.5k hours thing to say. /s

*Wardiva dramatically storms out*

Edited by (PSN)Hikuro-93

I already had 2k in the first 2 years. We were camping with friends at the time. was a lot of fun.
But at the moment Warframe hardly has any content that many hours. I think 3-4k and then you maxed everything?

And do hours count even if you don't play? So when you're in the ship? because 10k is already a lot. and I would collapse because of that. I even always play without sound and listen to things from YouTube in the background.

Since I love to test things out this is one of those things I've known since the first time I saw a Deacon.

How someone can even restrain themselves from throwing random stuff at enemies is beyond me! Dont you wanna try and see what can transform something from solid state to red mist or meaty bits every chance you get? Sure, that exact thing wasnt achieved by throwing the Veilbreaker at a Deacon, but I atleast learned something in the process, although it was slightly disappoiting compared to something going *poof* or *kasquish*.

More like Excalibur’s radial blind. You can see the enemies cupping their eyes with their hands. Also has the same particle affect, you just need to pass by them. The little noise you hear that when holding it is the indicator that it’s doing it’s job. You can also see who it blinds because of the yellow energy flowing to the enemy. Very quick, but noticeable 

4 hours ago, Hexerin said:

I dunno, maybe because it's a stealth mission?

This is one of those attitudes that setup any individual to question designs, if not falsely accusing them as bad.

In general, going in blind in anything will result in some "missing" out on mechanics and with no-experimenting mindset it's almost guarantee they'll miss it. Stealth games are the kind that gives you surface level tutorial and deeper mechanics for you to learn on your own from experimenting, testing, and , yes, making mistakes and potentially failing.

You watch any kind of clean/"professional" stealth run it's either because they're at a lower difficulty or they practice a lot and know the mechanics inside and out. General audience will be amazed simply out of speed and systematic play; mechanics-aware will understand everything that's happening and why.

• Like 1