Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Im a bit upset at this DE, why doesn't volt Proc electricity?

SteelHawkOne

I tested to make sure, Ember's 4th procs fire, Qorvex abilities proc radiation, frost? Cold.

Volt does however not proc electricity. I wanted to see what sickening pulse did with his 4th. Nothing. It's raw damage and zero elemental damage, how? This is so utterly bizarre. Can you please add an electric proc to volt's 4th? What is this logic? You electrocute everyone but they are not afflicted with the proc? Makes no sense.

• Like 5

Its because Volt isn't an electricity based Warframe. Common misconception. He just named himself that, because its more of a vibe, and a state of mind. A philosophy, if you will. Actually the real reason is because we get the word and contextually relevant term Volt from Italian scientist Alessandro Volta, who is famously known as a pioneer of electricity and power. However... in that sense, that was just a family name, received from father Filippo Volta. So where does the word Volta come from? Well in this context, if we go back far enough, we get voltar, as in "to turn around" which is what your team mates will have to do, when your high strength powered Volt uses the speed boost ability and they crash into walls and go down the wrong route. They have "to turn around", aka voltar aka Volt. 

The actual real real reason I believe is Volt existed before DE established how their status system works exactly, and its also the reason why Mag doesn't really do Magnetise status either, and from what i have heard from my game technical computer people, is that since Warframe systems are all... well basically, trying to make adjustments would require resources and effort in untangling stuff from other stuff, that they just haven't done it yet. Which does sort of suck, when we start getting Arcanes and Mods that work off getting certain status proccs and we think we have a new interesting synergy with Volt or Mag, only to discover their kits aren't as strong in that sense, as we might think, or because of what their name and theme suggests. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Its because Volt isn't an electricity based Warframe. Common misconception. He just named himself that, because its more of a vibe, and a state of mind. A philosophy, if you will. Actually the real reason is because we get the word and contextually relevant term Volt from Italian scientist Alessandro Volta, who is famously known as a pioneer of electricity and power. However... in that sense, that was just a family name, received from father Filippo Volta. So where does the word Volta come from? Well in this context, if we go back far enough, we get voltar, as in "to turn around" which is what your team mates will have to do, when your high strength powered Volt uses the speed boost ability and they crash into walls and go down the wrong route. They have "to turn around", aka voltar aka Volt. 

The actual real real reason I believe is Volt existed before DE established how their status system works exactly, and its also the reason why Mag doesn't really do Magnetise status either, and from what i have heard from my game technical computer people, is that since Warframe systems are all... well basically, trying to make adjustments would require resources and effort in untangling stuff from other stuff, that they just haven't done it yet. Which does sort of suck, when we start getting Arcanes and Mods that work off getting certain status proccs and we think we have a new interesting synergy with Volt or Mag, only to discover their kits aren't as strong in that sense, as we might think, or because of what their name and theme suggests. 

actually, electricity damage did exist in damage 1.0, and had a *very similar* type of secondary effect to the current status effect.

damage 1.0 knew the following types of damage with their secondary effect in brackets if they have any:

>armor piercing - this was added by base damage mods
>blade (dismemberment) - this was the damage type of most bladed melee weapons and dread
>bullet - this was the default damage type for ranged weapons
>electricity (stun/electrocution) - base on the prova, and available through mods
>explosion (flying corpse) - torid, ogris and the thunderbolt mod
>fire (panic) - base on ignis and available through mods
>forcefield (rag-doll) - kogake and kestrel charge attacks, as well as corpus laser doors
>freeze (shatter) - available through mods
>impact - base on the hek and sobek
>knockdown (knockdown) - all melee slams dealt this
>laser - only on the dera
>physics impact (corpse pin) - base on blunt melee weapons and all bolt weapons (boltor for example)
>poison (disintegrate) - available on acrid, torid's AOE and mire's AOE charge attack
>serrated blade (dismemberment) - available on dual ether, charged attacks and some ranged weapons
>stun (stun) - from mods and melee jump attacks

do note: secondary effects are NOT the same as status effects, some of them are death animations (for example shatter and disintegrate), others are corpse interactions (like corpse pin and flying corpse).

the big difference is there was no status chance, these things just triggered based on conditions. in the case of electrical damage, the stun happened whenever a corpus unit that was deshielded got hit by electrical damage, moa's would stop moving when hit if they had no shields too. "electrocution" is a death effect and you can still see it sometimes. against grineer and infested, electrical damage had a set chance to proc stun instead with the exception of vauban's tesla and volt's shock (Which would stun medium grineer with every shock) 

my *guess* is that when everything was moved over to damage 2.0, abilities didn't receive their inherent "status chance", and as a result abilities that previously procced these effects automatically (since it was based on the damage directly) now no longer do so. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SDGDen said:

actually, electricity damage did exist in damage 1.0, and had a *very similar* type of secondary effect to the current status effect.

damage 1.0 knew the following types of damage with their secondary effect in brackets if they have any:

>armor piercing - this was added by base damage mods
>blade (dismemberment) - this was the damage type of most bladed melee weapons and dread
>bullet - this was the default damage type for ranged weapons
>electricity (stun/electrocution) - base on the prova, and available through mods
>explosion (flying corpse) - torid, ogris and the thunderbolt mod
>fire (panic) - base on ignis and available through mods
>forcefield (rag-doll) - kogake and kestrel charge attacks, as well as corpus laser doors
>freeze (shatter) - available through mods
>impact - base on the hek and sobek
>knockdown (knockdown) - all melee slams dealt this
>laser - only on the dera
>physics impact (corpse pin) - base on blunt melee weapons and all bolt weapons (boltor for example)
>poison (disintegrate) - available on acrid, torid's AOE and mire's AOE charge attack
>serrated blade (dismemberment) - available on dual ether, charged attacks and some ranged weapons
>stun (stun) - from mods and melee jump attacks

do note: secondary effects are NOT the same as status effects, some of them are death animations (for example shatter and disintegrate), others are corpse interactions (like corpse pin and flying corpse).

the big difference is there was no status chance, these things just triggered based on conditions. in the case of electrical damage, the stun happened whenever a corpus unit that was deshielded got hit by electrical damage, moa's would stop moving when hit if they had no shields too. "electrocution" is a death effect and you can still see it sometimes. against grineer and infested, electrical damage had a set chance to proc stun instead with the exception of vauban's tesla and volt's shock (Which would stun medium grineer with every shock) 

my *guess* is that when everything was moved over to damage 2.0, abilities didn't receive their inherent "status chance", and as a result abilities that previously procced these effects automatically (since it was based on the damage directly) now no longer do so. 

Insightful. My favourite is bullet. Time to inflict [Bullet] when I shoot this Grineer in the head, with my gun! 

1 minute ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Insightful. My favourite is bullet. Time to inflict [Bullet] when I shoot this Grineer in the head, with my gun! 

fun fact about bullet: corpus crewmen used to have a 0x damage multiplier for "bullet" damage to their heads, while grineer all had 1.5x "bullet" multiplier on their heads (this was on top of the regular headshot multiplier AFAIK) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2024-02-04 at 12:08 PM, kyori said:

You are maybe the 1st to complain about this so far in 10 years, so perhaps it doesn't matter lol

I mean, they are reworking frames, very slow but they are, Hydroid 1st used to do cold, now it does corrosive. Is it better? Sure, but does it make sense? No. It's water. It's just weird to have Ember who had a decent rework proc fire, volt who also had tweaks and a minor rework doing, basically nothing. Don't get me wrong, I like volt, volt is good. He does decent damage but by no means do I think he's as good as he logically should be. I think It's a massive problem that frames with elemental damage do not proc that element

2 hours ago, SteelHawkOne said:

Hydroid 1st used to do cold, now it does corrosive. Is it better? Sure, but does it make sense? No. It's Water

You should probably take a quick look into Acid Rain. Acid being something that is highly "Corrosive" to most surfaces.

• Like 1

On 2024-02-16 at 4:58 AM, SteelHawkOne said:

Don't get me wrong, I like volt, volt is good. He does decent damage but by no means do I think he's as good as he logically should be. I think It's a massive problem that frames with elemental damage do not proc that element

Doesn't his fourth ability mimic the effects of electric status on enemies?  Pretty sure that's why the damage from it goes up exponentially the more enemies there are in clusters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2024-02-18 at 10:40 AM, Raarsi said:

Doesn't his fourth ability mimic the effects of electric status on enemies?  Pretty sure that's why the damage from it goes up exponentially the more enemies there are in clusters.

They could probably make a duplicated elec status only volt can trigger with his 4 that doesn't have the chaining functionality or damage, just count as elec and disappear after like 1 sec of not being hit with his 4. May be a way to trigger elec boosts with rebuilding his ability from scratch.

On 2024-02-16 at 5:00 AM, (PSN)MYKK678 said:

You should probably take a quick look into Acid Rain. Acid being something that is highly "Corrosive" to most surfaces.

Water is already corrosive in general, that's why metal rusts from water exposure

hah... a guaranteed shock proc on his 4 would be nice, but im gonna go on a tangent and say that his passive sucks more.

it hails from a time before i started playing because even when i started that passive amounted to no more than 1 or 5 more damage when firing a gun. i have never seen a situation where it was useful that you had to go far out of your way to use it... if anything rework that passive on Volt.... make it useful at all... same for the other starting frames too.

• Like 1

Just to clarity.

In Damage 1.0 Volt's Discharge (Called Overload at the time) did Electrocution damage. Stun was a secondary effect of Electrocution. When Damage 2.0 came out the skill was changed to proc Shock Status in place of Stun. It retained Shock status while going through two changes with damage output based on electronics and light sources. Yes, being near electronics blew out lights and consoles making them explode while increasing it's damage. Later it was changed to the current Discharge.

Volt happen to be my Starter Frame in 2013.

________________________________________________________________________________

If you think Volt's passive sucks you probably aren't utilizing it properly. Despite the Shield Gate freedom he's been given, Volt is still very much a bunker frame. He's most powerful behind his shield shooting enemies. If you need an example look no further than weapons like Aprex and Synapse at 20 base damage but large crit stats.

There was also a bug for a while where beam weapons would snap shot the base damage and persist until you let go of the trigger. That was nasty stuff.

As far as I'm aware, the change for Discharge so that it didn't proc the Electrified Status was so that DE could control the damage through Warframe Modding instead of through regular damage modding. For example the Status proc is increased by the amount of Electric Damage that's present on the weapon that inflicted it, right? We have actually seen an interaction that got nerfed where using Electric damage from an Ability actually causes the base damage to be multi-dipped on by Strength mods. Especially when used in groups. Heck, my girl Zephyr just got her Tornado nerfed because of the interaction it had with Electric status...

There are some interactions, and definitely were at the time, with the instant radial Electrical damage that were exceptionally strong, and there are some now that are even stronger. Especially with the Status triggers we have now.

So having Discharge behave exactly like the Electric Status Proc, but not actually be that proc, was both a safe call for its actual final damage, and a necessary one to prevent some of the interactions that it could have with our other functions we have in the game.

6 hours ago, --Leyenda-yight6 said:

I don't know why this is always used as an excuse but how to "use it correctly" is never explained.

Volt's passive adds 1000 damage to a weapon. It's affected Crit and Crit Multipliers including the double Crit damage bonus from his shield.

Take a weapon like Aprex which deals 22 base damage. Without a Base damage mod It now deals 1022 damage for a tap. That's 45x damage. If you do add a base damage mod it's still 18x for a tap. Having this normal interaction is a once in a while use. Using it with Transistor Shield augment suddenly lets you tap constantly while behind his shield.

This interaction with his shield lines it up well to trap out some Crit multi 8-12x Bleed procs. More when double dipping Faction mods.

It's not strong as it was due to Viral Status being way too strong but there aren't many passives you can actually build around.

hace 38 minutos, Xzorn dijo:

Volt's passive adds 1000 damage to a weapon. It's affected Crit and Crit Multipliers including the double Crit damage bonus from his shield.

Take a weapon like Aprex which deals 22 base damage. Without a Base damage mod It now deals 1022 damage for a tap. That's 45x damage. If you do add a base damage mod it's still 18x for a tap. Having this normal interaction is a once in a while use. Using it with Transistor Shield augment suddenly lets you tap constantly while behind his shield.

This interaction with his shield lines it up well to trap out some Crit multi 8-12x Bleed procs. More when double dipping Faction mods.

It's not strong as it was due to Viral Status being way too strong but there aren't many passives you can actually build around.

according to the wiki, the passive is not affected by damage mods or multishot mods, it is only affected by the critical multiplier (which includes the sniper multiplier) and right now I just did testing with the vectis prime (no galvanized or arcane ) and the damage it does is practically the same, sometimes the damage without charge is greater, sometimes it is not, it is imperceptible.

and if it's barely noticeable on a sniper rifle, then it would be non-existent if I use a shotgun because of the multi-shot or a weapon with high rate of fire because the passive discharges completely when you attack, even if the attack doesn't hit anything.

Edited by --Leyenda-yight6

16 minutes ago, --Leyenda-yight6 said:

according to the wiki, the passive is not affected by damage mods or multishot mods, it is only affected by the critical multiplier (which includes the sniper multiplier) and right now I just did testing with the vectis prime (no galvanized or arcane ) and the damage it does is practically the same, sometimes the damage without charge is greater, sometimes it is not, it is imperceptible.

I mean I did an old run pre-buff Beam weapons using that exact interaction. Looking back I should have used Bladed Rounds instead of Heavy Cal.

I know it's interactions well. It's why I named two beam weapons which don't technically Multi-shot.

With the buff It pops out 100-170k bleed ticks.

Spoiler

Edited by Xzorn

hace 9 minutos, Xzorn dijo:

I mean I did an old run pre-buff Beam weapons using that exact interaction. Looking back I should have used Bladed Rounds instead of Heavy Cal.

With the buff It pops out 100-170k bleed ticks.

Ocultar contenido

but we are talking about the passive itself, not the electric shield, clearly you are going to do brutal damage using 6 shields that give a total of 300% electric damage and 200% critical damage and you are even using its augment. It's like he justifies Frost's passive by using biting frost along with his 4 ability.

With that I can justify any bad design: it is not bad if I use the augment "X" with the ability "Y" and more if I use the helminth "Z".

12 minutes ago, --Leyenda-yight6 said:

but we are talking about the passive itself, not the electric shield, clearly you are going to do brutal damage using 6 shields that give a total of 300% electric damage and 200% critical damage and you are even using its augment. It's like he justifies Frost's passive by using biting frost along with his 4 ability.

With that I can justify any bad design: it is not bad if I use the augment "X" with the ability "Y" and more if I use the helminth "Z".

It's just the evolution of passives. Rhino, Mag, Nova and other have no redeeming qualities. I get what you're saying but I mentioned utilizing Volt's passive. You have to build around it. Like I mentioned I sorta like it because it opens build concepts unlike many others which are just generic stats or filler for the frame's kit.

hace 13 minutos, Xzorn dijo:

It's just the evolution of passives. Rhino, Mag, Nova and other have no redeeming qualities. I get what you're saying but I mentioned utilizing Volt's passive. You have to build around it. Like I mentioned I sorta like it because it opens build concepts unlike many others which are just generic stats or filler for the frame's kit.

but then what you're talking about is the "passive augment" not the passive, because as I said, you can't justify a bad design with another ability or its augment, if nova or rhino had very good augments for their passives, Do these passives stop being bad? Of course not, like in the example I mentioned with Frost.