Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trade chat is a scam?!

I fully admit that I inflate my prices when I can get away with it. If I go on WF market and everyone with my item listed is offline, that means I am selling at a 50-100% markup. Maybe a 200% markup if I get even the slightest impression of desperation or drunkenness' from the buyer. If somebody does a WTB and are offering to pay 500% more than what an item is worth, I am going to do the trade. 

Edited by (XBOX)Timidobserver
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sly_squash said:

More like a logical fallacy known as a false choice.  Not a strawman, and not doing something doesn't mean it's because I'm not capable of doing it.

You know full well that .market sounds like a sketchy domain at face value; most likely it's the only .market site you use unless you also use riven.market,  You can pretend like you're intellectual who deep dives everything they google but the reality is-- like I already said-- most people aren't going to google alternatives to trade chat anyway, if they do it won't be a deep dive, and the only reason they might do it on their own is because of a nagging realizing that they've already been getting scammed using trade chat.

If someone asked what something is worth in-game then 9/10 times they'd get recommended to check WFmarket. But if someone went and asked google, a single search, they get WFmarket in their search results. If someone saw that and wondered if it was legit then just searching the website on google, again just one search, they'd immediately get their answer.

This is literally asking a single question, two whole google searches, and maybe clicking a link or two explaining the website. If that's considered a "deep dive" then the world really is doomed with how little effort people put into things.

I don't think that some people realise that coming up with the most simple and obvious scenarios, about how and why people should "just Google the information" isn't necessarily going to be practical or meaningful to the many actual situations many many people can find themselves in, because of the way knowledge, experience and wisdom advance and interact, and why and how people learn to manipulate others.  The intent? Sure, and I don't disagree... 

Like obviously if a relatively new player wants to buy a vaulted Prime Warframe from chat, they shouldn't just look at the first offer, see that its listed for 400 Platinum, contact the seller, buy it, later realise everyone else is offering it cheaper and that on Warframe Market, most people are selling it for 90 to 130 Plat, and then feel ripped off, but think the other player was scamming them. "Just spend 5 minutes doing research" sure... 

What about a situation where a "friendly player" gets involved in a trade where the relatively new player is a bit unaware, but they did their research on a particular item. They did do 5 minutes research, they have a rough idea on what they want to buy, what they are willing to spend, generally what other people offer. They go in for a fair trade with someone else. Oh, but then that person throws in an extra item, that seems really good. A whole entire Prime weapon set. Just for free. The new player is blown away from the generosity. They don't really know much about this Prime weapon, but this other player sure is friendly. They insist its free. Maybe the new player feels like they should give them a big tip. Maybe throw in an extra 20 Plat? The friendly player rejects that offer. New player feels a bit... they want to do something to reciprocate the generosity of the other player and tells them... Other player suggests... well maybe they have some Rivens to give them as a "tip", but oly if they want to. New player doesn't really know much about Rivens, but they have a few... for weapons they don't even know, let alone own. They don't really have the time to do research, right now, but the other player is so friendly, and they don't even use those weapons for the "Rivens" so just give it to them as a tip... There are types of pressure present here, some external, some internal. The sort of trust that we put in others, when they seem like they put trust in us, and did something nice for us, they didn't have to. When they insist on not getting extra, that also influences our perception. Googling Riven prices in 5 minutes may not be adequate for a new player to understand their potential value. Their perception may be flawed. In multiple ways. Many new people often ask about random Riven, seeing others talking about "1000 Plat Rivens", some others won't even know half the weapons in the game its... 

"Just do 5 minutes of research", or, maybe "do a few years of research and study on psychology, fraud, manipulation, deceit, scam techniques, manipulation." too. Some of the most vulnerable and easy to manipulate, scam and defraud are people who are naive to or overlook the complexity and nuance of such techniques. Not always necessarily in a directly personal way, but in other ways, by underestimating how much time and effort other people are willing to put in, to manipulate situations and scenarios to their liking. A lot of prouder elderly people fall to scams, and get too embarrassed to get help, because of attitudes like "duh, you dummy, just know better lul", because sure, "just know better" is true, just scammers also know that too, duh, hence great scammers refine their manipulation techniques so well, many people don't even realise oir know they get scammed, or are put in positions to be scammed. 

In other news. Famine no longer an issue, after starving hungry people realise "just eat", which made some people worry about population issues, like homelessness, until guy on Forum points out "Homeless? Why not just have Home? Google it, surely home near by?" which has led to the eradication of homelessness as well. 

• Like 1

vor 17 Minuten schrieb (PSN)slightconfuzzled:

I don't think that some people realise that coming up with the most simple and obvious scenarios, about how and why people should "just Google the information" isn't necessarily going to be practical or meaningful to the many actual situations many many people can find themselves in, because of the way knowledge, experience and wisdom advance and interact, and why and how people learn to manipulate others.  The intent? Sure, and I don't disagree... 

Like obviously if a relatively new player wants to buy a vaulted Prime Warframe from chat, they shouldn't just look at the first offer, see that its listed for 400 Platinum, contact the seller, buy it, later realise everyone else is offering it cheaper and that on Warframe Market, most people are selling it for 90 to 130 Plat, and then feel ripped off, but think the other player was scamming them. "Just spend 5 minutes doing research" sure... 

What about a situation where a "friendly player" gets involved in a trade where the relatively new player is a bit unaware, but they did their research on a particular item. They did do 5 minutes research, they have a rough idea on what they want to buy, what they are willing to spend, generally what other people offer. They go in for a fair trade with someone else. Oh, but then that person throws in an extra item, that seems really good. A whole entire Prime weapon set. Just for free. The new player is blown away from the generosity. They don't really know much about this Prime weapon, but this other player sure is friendly. They insist its free. Maybe the new player feels like they should give them a big tip. Maybe throw in an extra 20 Plat? The friendly player rejects that offer. New player feels a bit... they want to do something to reciprocate the generosity of the other player and tells them... Other player suggests... well maybe they have some Rivens to give them as a "tip", but oly if they want to. New player doesn't really know much about Rivens, but they have a few... for weapons they don't even know, let alone own. They don't really have the time to do research, right now, but the other player is so friendly, and they don't even use those weapons for the "Rivens" so just give it to them as a tip... There are types of pressure present here, some external, some internal. The sort of trust that we put in others, when they seem like they put trust in us, and did something nice for us, they didn't have to. When they insist on not getting extra, that also influences our perception. Googling Riven prices in 5 minutes may not be adequate for a new player to understand their potential value. Their perception may be flawed. In multiple ways. Many new people often ask about random Riven, seeing others talking about "1000 Plat Rivens", some others won't even know half the weapons in the game its... 

"Just do 5 minutes of research", or, maybe "do a few years of research and study on psychology, fraud, manipulation, deceit, scam techniques, manipulation." too. Some of the most vulnerable and easy to manipulate, scam and defraud are people who are naive to or overlook the complexity and nuance of such techniques. Not always necessarily in a directly personal way, but in other ways, by underestimating how much time and effort other people are willing to put in, to manipulate situations and scenarios to their liking. A lot of prouder elderly people fall to scams, and get too embarrassed to get help, because of attitudes like "duh, you dummy, just know better lul", because sure, "just know better" is true, just scammers also know that too, duh, hence great scammers refine their manipulation techniques so well, many people don't even realise oir know they get scammed, or are put in positions to be scammed. 

In other news. Famine no longer an issue, after starving hungry people realise "just eat", which made some people worry about population issues, like homelessness, until guy on Forum points out "Homeless? Why not just have Home? Google it, surely home near by?" which has led to the eradication of homelessness as well. 

These comparisons make 0 sense. Inexperience with tradechat is a lack of information. Homelessness or famine have systemic reasons. I cant eat information. I cant live inside google. But I can look up how much an item in warframe costs generally. And if someone doesnt just innately trust warframe market that's also fine, you can just ask in any warframe community and they will tell you that market is a legit website that people use for trading.

• Like 2

24分钟前 , (PSN)slightconfuzzled 说:

Even kindergarten taught kids to be wary of strangers posing as friendly.

When people load up Warframe, suddenly a common sense is worth a few year of research and study on psychology, fraud, manipulation, deceit, scam techniques, manipulation.

What's wrong with you people. I thought people must be at least 15+ before playing this game.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Drachnyn said:

These comparisons make 0 sense. Inexperience with tradechat is a lack of information. Homelessness or famine have systemic reasons. I cant eat information. I cant live inside google. But I can look up how much an item in warframe costs generally. And if someone doesnt just innately trust warframe market that's also fine, you can just ask in any warframe community and they will tell you that market is a legit website that people use for trading.

Alternatively, depending on your interpretation, whether or not something makes sense, may depend or reflect on said interpretation.

For example, I see that your entire point here, is that cats are better than dogs. Which is silly. Unless of course my interpretation about your point is inaccurate. On that, do you agree or disagree? About interpretation, to be clear, I obviously know your "point" has nothing to do wth cats or dogs, I mean about interpretation. 

So when you see that i mentioned homelessness or famine? Do you think that I was making a serious comparison or implication that are the results of the same exact forces that shape inexperience with trade chat? Or do you think I was making an intentionally silly and sarcastic remark, alluding to the issues, and dangers of oversimplifying and overlooking the nuance and complexity that can be involved with different problems that exist in the world? Literal non rhetorical questions. 

You say "I can look up how much an item in Warframe costs generally" yes, that was an element of my original point, generalisations. Scams or deceitful behaviour or action, often live in the cracks, where generalisations are inadequate to invoke, because they often rely on gaps in knowledge or other variables, involved with the scenario. Often intentionally or by design. Which is why I gave an example, of a situation which can't be so easily resolved with a quick Google search. 

Sincerely, does that make more sense to you, now? 

vor 14 Minuten schrieb (PSN)slightconfuzzled:

Alternatively, depending on your interpretation, whether or not something makes sense, may depend or reflect on said interpretation.

For example, I see that your entire point here, is that cats are better than dogs. Which is silly. Unless of course my interpretation about your point is inaccurate. On that, do you agree or disagree? About interpretation, to be clear, I obviously know your "point" has nothing to do wth cats or dogs, I mean about interpretation. 

So when you see that i mentioned homelessness or famine? Do you think that I was making a serious comparison or implication that are the results of the same exact forces that shape inexperience with trade chat? Or do you think I was making an intentionally silly and sarcastic remark, alluding to the issues, and dangers of oversimplifying and overlooking the nuance and complexity that can be involved with different problems that exist in the world? Literal non rhetorical questions. 

You say "I can look up how much an item in Warframe costs generally" yes, that was an element of my original point, generalisations. Scams or deceitful behaviour or action, often live in the cracks, where generalisations are inadequate to invoke, because they often rely on gaps in knowledge or other variables, involved with the scenario. Often intentionally or by design. Which is why I gave an example, of a situation which can't be so easily resolved with a quick Google search. 

Sincerely, does that make more sense to you, now? 

I think you typed yourself into an absurdist performance that you now struggle to make sense of again.

17 minutes ago, RichardKam said:

Even kindergarten taught kids to be wary of strangers posing as friendly.

When people load up Warframe, suddenly a common sense is worth a few year of research and study on psychology, fraud, manipulation, deceit, scam techniques, manipulation.

What's wrong with you people. I thought people must be at least 15+ before playing this game.

Not all children get sent to kindergarten, not all people retain information perfectly. Not all kindergarten or school lessons translate well to practical life situations, or aren't brought into conflict with even other lessons they can teach as well. Whether that be directly or indirectly.

Not just that, but do you think that an adult from a wealthy family, who was sent to a really good kindergarten, and then really good schools, and then advanced higher education, in pursuit of education and knowledge around psychology, fraud, manipulation, without enough time and effort, would be so easily foiled just by someone random who happened to have went to kindergarten and learnt "be wary of strangers posing as friendly."?

Let me put it another way, do you know or have any elderly people you care about? If you found out in a years time, that one of them was a victim of fraud, would your response be "Gee, kindergarten taught kids to be wary of strangers posing as friendly", is that the type of empathy you might have for an older relative or friend? 

You know the term common sense, in that specific wording, coexisted and overlapped in an era when it was "common sense" that human bodies health was based on the balance of the "four humors, Flegmat (phlegm), Sanguin (blood), Coleric (yellow bile) and Melanc (black bile). It of course existed as an idea and term before then, sometimes around the idea of common perception as derived from common shared experiences and impressions people have around the 5 senses, good senses. So to deny or reject them, to deny or reject the obvious. However its a deeply inadequate term, past a certain point of history, because not only do we have superior understanding of human medical science, we also know we have more than five senses, and we know a lot of reality is outside our senses, and what is real, factual and true is much more complicated, and can take many years of learning and studying to know... Now common sense, is just common sense, and not really near "good sense" or good knowledge or understanding. 

Some people like to say "common sense isn't so common anymore", and I understand the intent, behind the phrase, but common sense, is still pretty common, by definition, just people don't care about etymology, knowledge, or nuance, and sometimes fall back on the idea, that their personal anecdotal life experiences, and what makes sense, isn't so universal or necessarily accurate to reality. 

Suddenly common sense is worth... well lets see how you answer the question about how you would react to a loved one being scammed? What's more important to you, the empathy involved with someone you sincerely care about, or the notion of common sense, in abstract examples, about random strangers online who should adhere to common sense. 

What's wrong with people? What prompts you to say that? Does this situation warrant you making a snap judgement about people? You don't think that may reflect more on how you have chosen to express yourself in this moment, rather than anything indicative of "people"?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Drachnyn said:

I think you typed yourself into an absurdist performance that you now struggle to make sense of again.

I think that you took a defensive stance, (and feel free to correct me on that, if you don't think you are being defensive) and possibly didn't interpret my post and sentiments with enough good faith. I think you were sincere, but also think had you taken a bit more consideration, a bit more good faith, a bit more reflection, and considered, "what is this person genuinely trying to say, and am I interpreting them accurately" then you might have had a more accurate interpretation. 

Then I confronted you with that, with a question, that you could feel free to answer. You could have answered "Yes, interpretation matters, people can be accurate and inaccurate in how they interpret others. Maybe I misinterpreted you, I see that you clarified, and maybe I actually do agree with you now" except, some people don't like that, because they view it as conceding and if they are looking for an online argument to engage in, well... Or you could have answered along the lines of no, and or disagreed, and tried to argue that, but thats where things get absurdist, because if interpretation doesn't matter, then both us would be free to make claims about the other as if they were true and inherently true, according to ourselves... aka a bad faith back and forth argument.

Clarity or common ground, wouldn't be the shared goal, but mischaracterisation and smearing, distorting arguments, etc 

Except I don't think there is anything wrong with conceding, or clarifying, or attempting to ward off bad faith interactions when possible, and preferring good faith exchanges instead. Like you said, "Homelessness or famine have systemic reasons", i agree 100%. I don't think you accurately understood why I randomly included them in my point, but irrespective of that, I agree. 

So instead of answering or addressing that question, I think, and i might be wrong... but I think you view this as a "combative online argument" thing, and to save face, you are just trying to make subtle jabs at my character, instead of addressing the points I have made. "I think you typed yourself into an absurdist performance that you now struggle to make sense of again."

I am not sure what I have done to earn this, is it completely alien that you may have just misinterpreted my points? 

• Like 2

20分钟前 , (PSN)slightconfuzzled 说:

Not all children get sent to kindergarten, not all people retain information perfectly. Not all kindergarten or school lessons translate well to practical life situations, or aren't brought into conflict with even other lessons they can teach as well. Whether that be directly or indirectly.

Not just that, but do you think that an adult from a wealthy family, who was sent to a really good kindergarten, and then really good schools, and then advanced higher education, in pursuit of education and knowledge around psychology, fraud, manipulation, without enough time and effort, would be so easily foiled just by someone random who happened to have went to kindergarten and learnt "be wary of strangers posing as friendly."?

Let me put it another way, do you know or have any elderly people you care about? If you found out in a years time, that one of them was a victim of fraud, would your response be "Gee, kindergarten taught kids to be wary of strangers posing as friendly", is that the type of empathy you might have for an older relative or friend? 

You know the term common sense, in that specific wording, coexisted and overlapped in an era when it was "common sense" that human bodies health was based on the balance of the "four humors, Flegmat (phlegm), Sanguin (blood), Coleric (yellow bile) and Melanc (black bile). It of course existed as an idea and term before then, sometimes around the idea of common perception as derived from common shared experiences and impressions people have around the 5 senses, good senses. So to deny or reject them, to deny or reject the obvious. However its a deeply inadequate term, past a certain point of history, because not only do we have superior understanding of human medical science, we also know we have more than five senses, and we know a lot of reality is outside our senses, and what is real, factual and true is much more complicated, and can take many years of learning and studying to know... Now common sense, is just common sense, and not really near "good sense" or good knowledge or understanding. 

Some people like to say "common sense isn't so common anymore", and I understand the intent, behind the phrase, but common sense, is still pretty common, by definition, just people don't care about etymology, knowledge, or nuance, and sometimes fall back on the idea, that their personal anecdotal life experiences, and what makes sense, isn't so universal or necessarily accurate to reality. 

Suddenly common sense is worth... well lets see how you answer the question about how you would react to a loved one being scammed? What's more important to you, the empathy involved with someone you sincerely care about, or the notion of common sense, in abstract examples, about random strangers online who should adhere to common sense. 

What's wrong with people? What prompts you to say that? Does this situation warrant you making a snap judgement about people? You don't think that may reflect more on how you have chosen to express yourself in this moment, rather than anything indicative of "people"?

I am sure you are right.

8 minutes ago, RichardKam said:

I am sure you are right.

I am not really a "right" or "wrong" type of person. 

More of a "Lets all try and be more empathetic, knowledgable and understanding to different issues" kind of person. I wish it was always so simple as just telling people to spend 5 minutes and use Google, but its usually more complicated. I mean someone can also spend 5 minutes on Google learning about how in millions various scams and frauds cost each country (some countries more, some less), and in the grand scheme, Warframe trade chat is obviously not so important or dangerous. 

Individuals like yourself or myself may not be vulnerable to such scams and fraudulent attempts, but many scammers and people looking to manipulate others, can invest more time and effort into more vulnerable peoples, often people by their nature, who may not put as much time into thinking about how to manipulate people, or know that such scammers are looking for ways to victimise people. Even if you and I aren't vulnerable, we might know people who might be. There are various new reports/research around suggesting that Gen Z is "more than three times as likely to fall for online scams compared to baby boomers" (I haven't taken the time to thoroughly investigate such claims, but a few sources seem reliable). So now, its not even having elderly relatives who may be vulnerable, but younger relatives, as well.

Its definitely something more people should be proactive about. 

Either way, enjoyed the conversation, and good day to you! Cheers. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aruquae said:

Unreasonable prices don’t equal a scam in a free market unfortunately 

Unreasonable prices CAN equal a scam in a free market, unfortunately.

Depends on the actors involved, the intent, the degree of advantage taken over the other person.

39 minutes ago, (PSN)AyinDygra said:

Depends on the actors involved, the intent, the degree of advantage taken over the other person.

Ahhh true true, I may have been too vague there
I meant in this free market of course
Nobody take my advice on any other free market that's not warframe por favor

There is no magic pill to cure stupid and in todays world people are wanting everything immediately with as little effort as possible and top that off with being too bone idle to research something that takes less than 20 seconds.

over the years I have seen so many questions where new players are wanting things as a kuva ogris or or how to get a riven when they have been in game for less than the hours needed to get to mastery level 5. Other times I have seen level 5 players working real hard whilst mastery level 20+ are in operator mode hiding in a corner whilst a specter is standing in the doorway blasting downrange with a shedu.

Warframe is a mix of all types of people and there is no easiest way to prevent noobs getting ripped off in the trade tab. they sell high value items at low prices and buy other items that are over priced. nothing to be done other than give them a message and point them to the warframe market if you see them. 

as far as i am concerned anyone in game longer than 25 30 hours does not get fleeced as they have generally found their way around. I think that the ? icon for Q&A could be shown as the word HELP that way at least noobs might be encouraged to go there and ask before buying and selling ?

Edited by johnno23

A lot of players jump in without the benefit of wisdom. As a player I watched trade chat for weeks before trying it. I was also lucky to have a friend early on who pointed me to Warframe market which really saved me a lot of unnecessary pain and humiliation. I met a player who bought a Requiem relic with one charge left for 100p...  I  felt so bad for him I gave him one of each. I realize I don't have a warframe pulpit, but I wish I could save newer players from theese scummy experiences.

• Like 1

On 2024-03-11 at 3:13 PM, (PSN)AyinDygra said:

That depends entirely on the definition of "scam". 

If you google it, the definitions that come up are variations of the words "deception and or fraud".

Personally. If you know something the other party doesnt, and you know, that if they knew, they wouldn't accept the deal, and decide you wanna do it anyway because it benefits you, I think that's an issue. I think theres a line between haggling and trying to rip people off. 

I bet all the people here saying "well its not my fault if people are ignorant about pricing" etc dont know S#&$ about cars, and wouldn't be too happy if they found out they got ripped off by a mechanic, who either lied about what was wrong with their vehicle or charged them prices they didnt know were unreasonable. 

And I gotta say, as a mechanic, you wouldnt believe how many people know *nothing* about cars. 

• Like 1

Nope, you can think that if you want but broadly no. Wait enough and you will find what you want for a reasonable price. Its the haste to have that will get you paying more than you should. I've gotten some of my best rivens for peanuts because they were being sold as reroll junk when they had exactly what I've wanted on them.

• Like 1