Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×

[Story] Is that... it?

A couple inbox messages, a single stroll through an empty Leverian, and a single round of the new Disruption mode? That can't be all there is, right...?

Edited by Hexerin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hexerin said:

That can't be all there is, right...?

here's the thing; at no point in any of the hype material did they ever say that Dante had a Quest... there's no quest menu, or quest titled Dante Unbound in the codex either. all they said was "help Drusus save the Leverian from Parvos Granum".

if DE don't explicitly state something, it's not going to happen. this is why it's not just important to read what they write, but how it's worded as well. any notion of there being an in-depth story quest is purely one of your own fabrication. 

• Like 5

On 2024-03-27 at 8:12 PM, CrendKing said:

It's a .5 update. What else do you expect?

On 2024-03-27 at 9:40 PM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

if DE don't explicitly state something, it's not going to happen. this is why it's not just important to read what they write, but how it's worded as well. any notion of there being an in-depth story quest is purely one of your own fabrication. 

I distinctly remember "We're going to learn a lot more about the Albrecht laboratories. We're gonna go deeper into the history.  We're going to answer questions like How does Loid feel about Necraloid, etc." Just because you didn't hear them say it doesn't mean they didn't. 

• Like 1

I was hoping to learn more about how drussus became a cephalon, and more about Parvos Granum's motivations. I think room with the duviri/ earth terrarium merging has more interesting story implications than anything else this update.

• Like 3

People want lore (though this is no different to Dagath - build the room, get the warframe).

I am more concerned about the story aspects, through the storytelling, we're told that Dante, a warframe, did this and that like its a person. Everywhere we see more and more warframes being discussed like they're not semi-mythical killing robots but companions and friends and generally people. Now if this was the case of describing them pre-warframing then fine, but the story explicitly refers to them as warframes.

I'm not sure I see how this isn't just general story for the sake of story and nowhere near the established lore. It makes me wonder if these addons are nothinbg more than "content island" filler and there is no longer a coherent story that has somewhere to go, or some story to tell. It really does seem like each update is just something put together and released so players will come back and engage more.

• Like 5

On 2024-03-29 at 3:45 AM, Angel-Nefarious said:

I distinctly remember "We're going to learn a lot more about the Albrecht laboratories. We're gonna go deeper into the history.  We're going to answer questions like How does Loid feel about Necraloid, etc." Just because you didn't hear them say it doesn't mean they didn't. 

I could have sworn they said/showed Necraloid now being in the Sanctum. Maybe we've all missed the secret. 

• Like 2

On 2024-03-31 at 4:28 PM, 3mptylord said:

I could have sworn they said/showed Necraloid now being in the Sanctum. Maybe we've all missed the secret. 

That's coming with the Deep Artchimidea system launching this week, but it's mainly mission banter.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to admit..  I'm getting REAL tired of these half-baked stories...  Like, it was mildly annoying with Citrine, but seeing it happen with almost every warframe released after her is really wearing on me.  Especially with how they keep advertising these updates as if they were proper story updates and then just giving us a half written story with no ending.  Like, come on Warframe!  If you promise us lore, deliver lore already!  And stop disguising grind as quests ffs!

Like..  I really love some of these frames (again Citrine for life), not just because they are fun to play as, but also because they have so much lore potential, but they just don't deliver on that potential.  I really miss back in the old days when we got stuff like Mirage and Limbo's quests.  Even if they were never picked up again, they made each frame feel alive and gave them character.  But now?  Now it just feels like some cheap pallor trick to get us interested and then give us no lore payoff for all the grind.

• Like 4

Look, I understand that "show, don't tell" is an important thing, and half of the Warframes' stories have been told to us, instead of shown, but come on, there *is* a story there, and the fact that it's told to us is part of the tragedy of Dante. He isn't here anymore. At least not the original Dante. Sometimes, in record keeping and history preservation, that's all you get, a written record of things past, and you have to contempt for it, and that seems to be what DE is going for with Dante.

You can say that's not good and that DE should probably have more substance in storytelling, but what we have is not *bad* storytelling, it's just cheap storytelling. Not a lot of budget (by budget I mean time as a budget) went into making the story part of the update, but in the long run that doesn't matter all that much. Maybe if there was a graphic of Drusus telling us the story, complete with background visuals and all, that'd be better, like with Dagath (which didn't have background visuals). Maybe we should push DE into that direction, but you cannot say that Dante has a bad story.