The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are some Mods that you think deserve or should be considered for turning into an Exilus mod?

Zahnrad

Right off the bat. No damage, crit, multishot or status mods. The whole point of Exilus mods is that they were supposed to enhance a weapons QoL rather than being used for direct increases in damage.

In my opinion, I feel like mods that "technically" increase Damage Per Second without incresing Damage Per Shot should be used for Exilus. Since they are often times used to increase the Quality of Life of a weapon.

I made this thread because one of my favourite weapons in the game, has what I personally would consider to be a mandatory Quality of Life mod, that doesn't increase its Damage Per Shot but does increase its Damage when looking at it through the lens of Damage Per Second. However I think it should be eligable for Exilus status.

The mod in question is Repeater Clip

Repeater Clip

On Reload: 105% Fire Rate when Aiming for 9s

The Rauta has a decently fast reload speed, but a Fire Rate that feels surprisingly long at 0.8 but when used in conjunction with Repeater Clip the weapon feels really satisfying for a Hit and Run playstyle with a fast frame such as Nezha, or used in general combat.

I know to some people "Damage Per Second" is all they care about and consider anything that increases that "powercreep" but I feel like when you look at things through Damage Per Second, then you have to evaluate everything based on that criteria. Anything that enhances a weapons Quality of Life at that point would in theory increase its Damage Per Second. Reload Speed? Recoil? Accuracy? They all technically increase it, which is why I never like looking at it from the angle of Damage Per Second.

Edited by Zahnny

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Fire rate is 100% a dps increase mod so it shouldn't go there, it would be the go-to exilus mod for most weapons.

Kinda like how Vigilante Supplies is?

Sorry, I just. Hate the concept of "damage per second = damage per shot"

Fire Rate gives you more damage in a faster amount of time, that is objectively true. But it's not actually increasing your damage. It just lets you dump it out faster. Damage Per Second is just a meme to me, one so big that people are willing to call quality of life powercreep in favor of it.

Reload Speed = Less weapon downtime, therefore higher DPS

Accuracy/Recoil = Less misses, more damage being landed, therefore higher DPS

The point I'm trying to make is, Damage Per Second quantifies everything, which means anything that improves a weapon objectively becomes power creep. Which is why I hate Damage Per Second as an objective truth when it comes to balancing in Warframe.

Exilus mods like Vigilante Supplies and Power Drift dominate the Exilus slot because their competition is a sea of mediocracy. There's nothing of value because people refuse to allow for actual weapon improvements to function as Quality of Life.

Edited by Zahnny

Harkonar Scope, Sharpshooter.

Metal Auger, Seeker, Seeking Force.  I'd prefer Punch Through be made innate to most ST weapons, but if DE made these PT mods exilus I'd still be delighted.

22 minutes ago, Zahnny said:
26 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Fire rate is 100% a dps increase mod so it shouldn't go there, it would be the go-to exilus mod for most weapons.

Kinda like how Vigilante Supplies is?

My response to that would be that Vigilante Supplies was a mistake too, that probably only happened because ammo mutation is its primary affix.  But Repeater Clip and its counterparts would be a bigger dps increase than Vigilante Supplies for more weapons, and  much more dominant. 

1 hour ago, ominumi said:

All weapons specific mods.

Some of these would be pretty funny, as they're already well worth a regular slot.  Sentient Surge, Double Tap, Acid Shells, Efficient Beams, and Volatile Variant come to mind immediately.

• Like 1

I never liked the concept of "exilus mods not adding damage" , all mods (should) technically add damage either by making your shots land where you want them to to more often or by letting you reduce the downtime, which is what recoil , accuracy , travel speed and beam length do.

I can see what they mean by it (I am not just arguing without understanding what they are going at) by making them more of a qol mod slot than anything else.

But they really should not have to designate a mod slot as QoL , it just feels defeatist to me. As in they have given up on trying to balance the weapon mods where qol mods are worth slotting compared to other mods, and it's so bad that they have to make a whole mod slot for it.

I would much rather they balance the damage output of the various weapons by cutting down on some multipliers such that qol mods are actually worth their mod cost.

But until that happens , yeah we could use some more mods in that slot. And while we are at it , maybe add exilus slots to exalted weapons.

Edited by 0_The_F00l
  • Like 1

I could get behind weapon specific mods. Esp things like Viber's mag size, ammo efficiency or grakata's two special mods.

I like some of the specialized mods like Grakata because they change how you would use the gun but aren't really better compared to mutation.

I was going to bring this up in my own topic but anyone notice the Exilus slot polarity is almost always wrong?

• Like 1

Infiltrate should absolutely be an exilus mod. However, the movement speed bonus on it should also be removed, along with a revision of Prowl that modernizes it.

• Remove the conditional energy costs. Should just have an activation cost, and then a persistent cost while active.
    • This brings it in line with how modern channeled abilities work.
  • Remove the movement restrictions. Sprinting, parkour (bullet jumping, etc), etc should all be available while active.
    • This brings it in line with every other stealth ability in the game.

Even with these changes, Ivara would still not be the meta pick for her own mission type (Spy), because Wukong exists (or just simply using Operator). However, it would greatly improve the overall feel of Ivara gameplay, which is still a net gain for Ivara players in general.

Edited by Hexerin

38 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Infiltrate should absolutely be an exilus mod. However, the movement speed bonus on it should also be removed, along with a revision of Prowl that modernizes it.

• Remove the conditional energy costs. Should just have an activation cost, and then a persistent cost while active.
    • This brings it in line with how modern channeled abilities work.
  • Remove the movement restrictions. Sprinting, parkour (bullet jumping, etc), etc should all be available while active.
    • This brings it in line with every other stealth ability in the game.

Even with these changes, Ivara would still not be the meta pick for her own mission type (Spy), because Wukong exists (or just simply using Operator). However, it would greatly improve the overall feel of Ivara gameplay, which is still a net gain for Ivara players in general.

Yeah I kind of hate the fact DE gave Ivara constant Invisibility but decided the best way to balance it was to make it so she moved at a snails pace.

Now I can understand movement temporarily halting her invisible, but just completely turning it off while you also have cement shoes is really annoying.

2 minutes ago, Greysmog said:

Yeah I kind of hate the fact DE gave Ivara constant Invisibility but decided the best way to balance it was to make it so she moved at a snails pace.

Now I can understand movement temporarily halting her invisible, but just completely turning it off while you also have cement shoes is really annoying.

My best guess is it was probably done to help synergize with Prowl's loot mechanic, since it requires you to be near enemies for a set amount of time.

Not defending it, but I'm guessing that was probably the rational behind it.

1 hour ago, Zahnny said:

My best guess is it was probably done to help synergize with Prowl's loot mechanic, since it requires you to be near enemies for a set amount of time.

Not defending it, but I'm guessing that was probably the rational behind it.

I've always just assumed it's because Ivara is a very old frame, and the reduced mobility was just part of how the game worked at the time.

AKA just a case of "relic from the past that didn't age well" kind of thing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

I've always just assumed it's because Ivara is a very old frame, and the reduced mobility was just part of how the game worked at the time.

Could be. I think at the time of Ivara's release, the only invisbility was Loki and Ash. Loki being the invisibility frame and having much less duration, it might have been a balancing decision which seems outdated now that we have frames like Octavia.

Magazine warp & co. 

Otherwise they don't warrant a mod slot in the 8 primary slots, with tainted mag being optional in those 8 slots alongside magazine warp in the exilus slot. Both are quite optional and qol so i don't see the issue besides a dps increase for the select few weapons that can increase damage through a bigger mag (which warrants more interesting mod building), so i say it would be a very welcoming change.

Edited by cralo100

23 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Parkour 2.0 was update 17. Ivara came with update 18. The game was still fast. The reduced speed was probably for balance at the time compared to Loki and Ash (who were a strong pick at the time), but then we received Octavia, so in classic Warframe fashion, that went out the window.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cralo100 said:

Magazine warp & co. 

Otherwise they don't warrant a mod slot in the 8 primary slots, with tainted mag being optional in those 8 slots alongside magazine warp in the exilus slot. Both are quite optional and qol so i don't see the issue besides a dps increase for the select few weapons that can increase damage through a bigger mag (which warrants more interesting mod building), so i say it would be a very welcoming change.

Magazine size is a significant dps increase for a lot of weapons.   You're right that for the most part--with several exceptions with mag unload gimmicks or 1- or 2-shot mags--it's not enough to usurp a regular mod slot.  However I think a better lens to look through than "How does the dps increase compare to regular mods?" is "How does the dps increase compare to other exilus mods?"  There'd be a pretty obvious disparity, even without looking at the high capacity cost primed mag mods.  I think we'd mostly get less varied mod building.

Similar issue with reload mods.  Better in some ways, but worse because these also have  better application with Incarnon weapons.

Shivering Contagion perhaps, although the mod itself could use a buff instead of only being useful on Sentinels equipped with the Verglas or the other ice beam sentinel weapons. Being able to do AOE cold procs with weapons would be neat without needing to lower your damage output for it, despite needing to mod for cold unless you're using something like the cedo, or that mod should receive a general buff so it could be actually useful outside of sentinels.

Perhaps some other mods like sharpshooter, that sniper mod that grants energy on headshot kills and Harkonar Scope so utilizing sniper combos might actually be worthwhile. Basically never see those mods being used, and it's not like everyone's running around with sniper rifles these days?

• Like 1

Vigilante Supplies should not be an Exilus; its crit boost is a direct DPS boost and it's so common to see this mod on weapons that are only using it for its crit.  It disrupts the space by competing with a bunch of other mods that don't provide a direct DPS boost and thus outclasses them much of the time.

• Like 1

Honestly, I wish mods were handled more like how the railjack handles its plexus and split things out a bit.  A warframe's main mod slots should be for things like health and armor and whatnot, and then each ability should have an augment slot where you can equip augments and not have it count against your 8 slots.  Weapons should get a specific "augment" slot, etc.  So many augments are just straight up quality-of-life and/or "this should have been a rework."

For Exilus, there's so many things that one could argue are "quality of life" vs "damage."  Fire rate does affect damage, etc.  Short of, like, reworking Exilus entirely, I'd like to see a tab for actual "quality of life" mods like zoom and stability.  If you're playing with a mouse and have a good display, you can basically ignore things like "-zoom" and compensate for recoil with your mouse; a player using a controller and maybe a not-so-great display might have to use zoom to aim on like every shot and can't compensate for recoil without a stability mod.  Zoom and stability mods are sometimes straight up accessibility mods for some people, and shouldn't require removing a damage mod just to make a weapon usable. 

1 hour ago, Nira said:

Also not fully on topic but I think it's about time they added an unconditional "- zoom" exilus mod!

I feel that way about Negative Fire Rate. Exilus mods that nerf a stat that is too high instead of buffing it.

Gotva Prime is a good rifle, but feels better to use with the +Crit and -Fire Rate mod.

• Like 1