Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I A Bad Girl For What I Just Did?

BloodKitten

Best bet is to get them killed and dont res them, that way they get nothing and you still get to play the session with people that want to do so (most missions can be done happily with 3 people).  Best of both worlds; AFKers get nothing, actual players get to play.

Problem is 9 times out of 10 the person that's AFK/Leeching is only there for the mission reward - even if you manage to get some enemies over to them and kill them they're still usually going to get what they came there for. 

I'll be honest; I'd probably be more irritated at you than the guy who is AFK. Not that I don't share frustrations at AFK players to a smaller degree, but one AFK guy does not ultimately affect me much either. You breaking the mission, forcing me to reconnect or be vomited back into the star-chart lobby on the other hand eats up a small amount of my time and is generally more frustrating to deal with. 

my personal opinion, if you don't leave the mission, you are only encouraging the problem. if no one helps out these afkers/leechers, the problem will go away. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone else.

i was hosting invasion game, i noticed a player was afk, the other 2 players dident cared and went on with the mission, i told then i dont want afk players to get anything for being afk, they dident cared and continued.

so i turned off and on the internet device and forced evryone to disconnect (or can they migrate still?)

what do other users think?

I think that was pretty funny. I personally wouldn't have done it, but if there was a kick option, I would be using that.

I do this.

In fact, I do this so often I've set up a script macro'd to my Pause|Break key that toggles my wired connection (turning router off/on takes too long, too much hassle).

I've been a victim to such acts as well, but hardly for the same reasons. I was matched up with this one particularly edgy fellow, seemed to have a penchant for spouting all sorts of bullcrap. When we called him out on it, he became super-edgy and started threatening to kick us from the match. Again, we called him out on it since there was no kick function. 15 or so seconds after he stopped moving, BOOM host migration. Except it migrated and it was all of us minus Mr. Edgy, we all sort of stopped and had a good laugh at his expense.

----------------------

But that aside, there is another method to deal with AFKers...

One time, when I was feeling particularly scornful, I identified the IP of a leecher in my match. When he refused to budge from the spawn, I blocked all communication with his IP through my router. He was disconnected while the rest of my teammates remained in the game (but this method takes too long to be really practical).

There is a fairly easy way to identify the IPs of users who connect to you. I won't say how, but it's actually been very useful because it's allowed me to establish a sort of blacklist of users/IPs that won't ever be able to connect to games I'm hosting. But you need to enter this list into your router in order for it to take effect, or have a software firewall that allows you to block based on IP.

Don't forget that "your game" is not really yours at all.  We are all funneled into one match and have no way to host our own if another match on same node is already in progress (and not full). 

AFK is no problem for me, I understand real life happens sometimes.  Now if your really struggling and he is intentionally afk with no plan on playing, then just leave.  Shutting off router does nothing, the match will continue with new host without you (unless it is a tower key).  You did not mention that this was a tower, so I assume not.

Doing the same mission 5 times for some Detonite Injectors can get pretty old.

Sometimes I want to just make a cup of coffee for one of them.

It's my fault if I miss the G3 dropping in because of it.  Same with those dudes.

I wouldn't sweat it too much when someone's AFK, especially if you don't really need the help.  They're not getting that much out of it since they're not even following along to stay within range of the Affinity sharing, so it's just a chintzy few credits and a mission complete.

Edited by (PS4)Hooligantuan

That a whole wrong way to do what you wanted to do.

You could just quit instead of turning connection off.

I believe host migration only works if you quit, if you turn off connection - the instanced map is still on your side and others just got dc on their side.

So it was a bad move on your side. Next time just quit the mission if you are not going to complete it, so others get proper host migration and do it even if they don't care about afk players like you do.

I wouldn't say you are a bad girl, I would say you are a bad person.

Edited by Unibot

Yes you are. The fact that ONE person is afk doesn't mean that the entire session must pay for him. Maybe they just wish to finish the mission because they found a rare mod they needed or so on. 

Second (and that's for all), the fact that you host a match doesn't mean that you are Gods and all others poor silly slaves that must do everything you want. If you want to play with your rules, let's find three friends and do what you want. If you play with strangers, don't expect to be their supreme master and lord. They're free to do what they want. 

If you don't like how a person play or act, just don't play with him. Full stop. No reasons to feel like a megalomaniac just for hosting a session, because it's ridiculous. 

I'm surprised how many people are blatantly supporting OP...

You're terminating the session because 1 guy is afk? What about the other 2 squadmates?

Now, if you asked the other 2 first, and they said they don't mind the quit, that would be a different story...

Edited by Chlora

I'm surprised how many people are blatantly supporting OP...

You're terminating the session because 1 guy is afk? What about the other 2 squadmates?

Now, if you asked the other 2 first, and they said they don't mind the quit, that would be a different story...

Its because girl.

I do this.

In fact, I do this so often I've set up a script macro'd to my Pause|Break key that toggles my wired connection (turning router off/on takes too long, too much hassle).

I've been a victim to such acts as well, but hardly for the same reasons. I was matched up with this one particularly edgy fellow, seemed to have a penchant for spouting all sorts of bullcrap. When we called him out on it, he became super-edgy and started threatening to kick us from the match. Again, we called him out on it since there was no kick function. 15 or so seconds after he stopped moving, BOOM host migration. Except it migrated and it was all of us minus Mr. Edgy, we all sort of stopped and had a good laugh at his expense.

----------------------

But that aside, there is another method to deal with AFKers...

One time, when I was feeling particularly scornful, I identified the IP of a leecher in my match. When he refused to budge from the spawn, I blocked all communication with his IP through my router. He was disconnected while the rest of my teammates remained in the game (but this method takes too long to be really practical).

There is a fairly easy way to identify the IPs of users who connect to you. I won't say how, but it's actually been very useful because it's allowed me to establish a sort of blacklist of users/IPs that won't ever be able to connect to games I'm hosting. But you need to enter this list into your router in order for it to take effect, or have a software firewall that allows you to block based on IP.

i'm glad to see i'm not the only one that does this.

i have a nice little script for my router that adds a ton of blacklisted ip's into iptables for simplicity and editing.