Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Music Preview: Derelict & Void

[DE]Rebecca

Somehow the more pieceful, holy&religious themed one for the void creeps me far more out than the Derelict one. ^^

But that's probably because like some other people already stated it feels a bit too "happy". Instead should have this "we wiped them out and now we are even raiding/desecrating their temples too"-feeling.

Edited by MeduSalem

I don't really like the fact that there is happy tune in there, i feel like it needs more of sad tone.

(well unless tenno are that hyped about orokin empire in ruins)

Something like this.

I can see what your saying here, and to an element I agree, the chanting and the background elements (as well as the opening and ending lead in/outs) as they tend to seem a lot more ominous and telling in delivery. And honestly I think the background elements playing the entire song fit for the most part too. For me the "sadness" or the "mystery" that I've always associated with the void is only detracted form in this music by the constant violin(string instrument riff whatever I don't know instruments).

Derelict is top notch creepy. It makes me wish that they'd add more of those elements like in this thread they advertised:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/264585-derelict-creature-shadow-easter-egg-revealed/

Things constantly moving out of sight in the corner of your eye while this is playing is absolutely paranoia inducing, in tandem might give off the idea that you are some kind of trespasser.

The music seems too happy for the void. It seems like it should be more haunting and sorrowful--something with an air of mourning to it. Also, it would be nice to have a few more non-traditional instruments to make it feel little more alien/foreign.

For the derelicts, perhaps throw in some infrasound: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

Not too much, but a few notes of it here and there, at irregular intervals, to keep it feeling just a little creepy/unsettling.

Okay,

You guys really impressed me with the infested soundtrack. It truly befits the tile set on Eris and sets the ambiance of moving through a "living" ship of infestation.

Then you guys blew my mind with the Grineer soundtrack in U14. It felt so epic and was perfect for taking on hordes of Grineer soldiers.

Then you completely blew me away with the Corpus soundtrack. It's my favorite so far. You've managed to capture the essence of the corpus into sound and I absolutely love it!

Then I heard you were working on pieces for the void and derelicts, and I had no idea what they would sound like or what would set the mood and tone for those areas. I couldn't imagine what it would sound like. And now this. Simply amazing! The void music actually makes sense and befits the monastic style that the void is slightly influenced by.

And oh boy, that derelict music, perfect! I actually got goosebumps listening to it! I can't wait to hear the final cuts in-game. It will definitely make me want to go in solo to experience the whole of the pieces.

DEGeorge, I just want to express my gratitude to you and the rest of the sound guys at DE for your passion in making the music for this game. It's definitely one of the most important parts of it, so Thank you! I look forward to what you will come up with and truly can't wait to experience it in game for myself.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot about the Archwing music. That music is also very impressive, I absolutely love the background tracks, it really captures moving through space, be it a large open area or through a "trench" in a damaged ship, making that gameplay much more exciting and enjoyable. Keep up the awesome work!

Edited by GhostSwordsman

The first one in one pic :

amazing.gif

OUTSTANDING ! If I may suggest one thing : adding some pipe organ in it would make it near perfect!! This one is on par with (if not better than) the tibetan throat singing song.

I fell right into it, great work!

The second one is also awesome, but could have some other stressful sounds in it during the dynamic phases perhaps. Something really frightening...

Anyway, it inspired me to do some concepts for the corrupted units (this part of the roster needs attention too, more than the others) & even an orokin final boss(Vor doesn't really fill that role for me, and we don't have any tower assassination key yet.).

I like the derelict one more.  It sounds more jungle. There's a kind of suggestion of leaves rustling in an unnatural breeze.

With the first sample, I... well, this is gonna sound weird, but I can't hear the vines.  Orokin ruins are FULL of vines and planters and water, and it doesn't really come across in the music.  Sounds more like ascetic enlightenment than a living organo/techno harmony, if that makes sense. o_O

The music for the Derelict is spot in every aspect so far. It's great & really captures the fundamental eeriness of the tileset. 

The Void's music is great too, except for 1:20 & on. I really don't see/feel how this fits the bill for what you said you're looking for IMO. It doesn't give me "majestic", "sacred", or "holy". I get more of a "rural village" or "aztec culture" vibe with a dash of upbeat/happy feelz if you get what I'm saying. I don't picture it matching whether I'm in combat or not. 

That said, overall, I think it's good. Great work guys.

I do have an inquiry. How do you guys go about making the music? Do you hire an orchestra? Is it all MIDI (I'm thinking this one)? Just curious. 

Both are really nice. I wonder if we can take some of the music and put it on the codex. Imagine the void music while looking at Loki Prime or Frost Prime or some of the really fancy prime weapons. The Derelict music can be for infested entries. (ex. could you imagine Lephatis having that music playing while you're looking at him.)

the clips sound very nice, but the background highlights in the Void clip are too 'happy' IMO.

they're a now extinct race, which pushed their 'cities' and whatnot into the Void as a last resort to avoid everything being destroyed. i just don't see a happy vibe from that.

i don't expect funeral music either. something in between. a feeling of sadness, but still pride in themselves and and majestic holiness despite the losses.