Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

And The Answer Is.... Neverwinter Has Lore!

Zakharon

It's almost like they have about 40 years of franchise history and content to look back on and build off of. One day we'll get there. I think we've added more lore to Warframe in U15 than ever before, and we've been following the Fomorian Threat as it grows... to be continued.

Warframe splat books confirmed for 2054 AD.

Edited by ThePresident777

No Elves...rust monsters, rust monsters everywhere! Har har!

if they can actually eat your weapons permanently (al la AD&D's true rust monsters) i think i'd be a bit afraid.

i'd hate to see my multi-forma-ed lex prime become rust monster poo. :(

although, i think i'd love to see all the butt-hurt from those loosing their precious soma. >:)

With respect Rebecca, there is a huge difference between ongoing story reveals vs. important backstory that the lack of is really hitting immersion.

-snip-

But give us enough background to actually make decisions for our characters... give us _context_

I'm gonna say the reason they're keeping the lore quite open right now, rather than give us the answers we seek, is because in doing so they lock themselves into it. If they state the sentients were this and are now dead because of that, then they can't later pick up an idea of what they should be instead and use them in game without having to write a work around there own lore to begin with. Edited by (PS4)Pharen

Yeah...not really.

As much of a sweet burn as it was, it kinda just said "yeah, we have more lore incoming." We've been hearing that for a while. Vor's Prize was supposed to be the devs really starting to dig into the lore aspect of the game - the beginning of a story mode, so to speak - and by the end it had mutated into a narrated tutorial. Neat.

While they don't exactly need to start releasing lore to us tomorrow, DE does need to go about assembling a coherent game universe. It doesn't need to be as comprehensive as D&D, but it needs to be there.  All this "storytelling through events" is great... for those of us who are here. Players that are late to the party are still S.O.L. and can only listen to wistful tales of things like the Gradivus conflict. 

First order of business: Story-related missions = replayable for the narrative, minus initial rewards.

Second order of busienss: Story-related missions arranged on a timeline.

Tadah, the rough skeleton of Warframe's story is now in place and available for all to experience.

PS: Whatever happened to those neat little codex entries for the Warframes? I'd like to see more of those.

* What are we playing? Not the history of the Tenno but simply physical facts.

* How long have the Grineer been active.

* How long have the Corpus been active.

* How long has the infestation been active. Is Lephantis the source of all the infestation in the system?

* Were are the civilians that we're supposed to be fighting for, what planets and how many, show don't tell.

* What is a Warframe, not the history, not snippets from the Orokin era but physical facts.

* What are we doing to the capture targets, what is that technology.

* Where do these infested weapons come from, why do we consider them safe?

1. We're playing Warframe. I assume you mean "​Why are we playing", to which I can reply with: We are fighting to brink back order to the Solar System as the Grineer are the most xenophobic race out there and are hostile towards everything.

2 and 3. Not a very important bit of detail, we don't know how long the Eclipse were active in mass effect 2 and 3 and they still got as much attention as the Grineer are getting.

4. We already know the Technocyte virus is the cause for all known Infested.

5. We're not fighting for civilians.

6. A warframe is a suit designed for a tenno to thrive in.

7. Un-important. We don't need to know the ins and outs of every bit of technology that exists.

8. These infested weapons are crafted from biological samples of the Infested (e.g nano spores and blueprints). We consider them safe because for the sake of gameplay, it adds to it than lore. I mean in Halo their isn''t detail on how the Humans can use the alien weapons safely, this kind of stuff is just un-important.

1. We're playing Warframe. I assume you mean "​Why are we playing", to which I can reply with: We are fighting to brink back order to the Solar System as the Grineer are the most xenophobic race out there and are hostile towards everything.

2 and 3. Not a very important bit of detail, we don't know how long the Eclipse were active in mass effect 2 and 3 and they still got as much attention as the Grineer are getting.

4. We already know the Technocyte virus is the cause for all known Infested.

5. We're not fighting for civilians.

6. A warframe is a suit designed for a tenno to thrive in.

7. Un-important. We don't need to know the ins and outs of every bit of technology that exists.

8. These infested weapons are crafted from biological samples of the Infested (e.g nano spores and blueprints). We consider them safe because for the sake of gameplay, it adds to it than lore. I mean in Halo their isn''t detail on how the Humans can use the alien weapons safely, this kind of stuff is just un-important.

1. No, I think he means "What are we playing?" not "Which game are we playing," or "Why are we playing." What is happening in this present timeline?

2. Nothing to say here, I agree.

4. Yes, but does that virus have an existing source? A sort of vessel for the hive-mind, similar to the Gravemind from Halo or the Tyranid Norn Queens from Warhammer 40k?

5. Unless we're aligned with Steel Meridian, in which case we definitely ARE fighting for Civilians, and their existence remains a legitimate question.

6. I can nitpick this, but there's no real point. 

7. I'd say it's not top-priority, but that sort of information doesn't take much effort, and is definitely nice to have. What we're looking to gain from capturing said targets could definitely stand to have some expansion. Something to take our minds off of the fact that our efforts ultimately have zero strategic significance. It's not necessary from a gameplay perspective, true, but it is a straightforward and simple quality-of-life improvement for the game atmosphere.

8. Covenant weapons also conveniently happen to not be composed of living tissue taken from what is likely to be the most virulent and infectious disease in the entire Solar System. You'd have a lot less reason to wonder about concerning the safety of picking up a plasma rifle compared to picking up a gun made entirely of ebola.

1. No, I think he means "What are we playing?" not "Which game are we playing," or "Why are we playing." What is happening in this present timeline?

2. Nothing to say here, I agree.

4. Yes, but does that virus have an existing source? A sort of vessel for the hive-mind, similar to the Gravemind from Halo or the Tyranid Norn Queens from Warhammer 40k?

5. Unless we're aligned with Steel Meridian, in which case we definitely ARE fighting for Civilians, and their existence remains a legitimate question.

6. I can nitpick this, but there's no real point. 

7. I'd say it's not top-priority, but that sort of information doesn't take much effort, and is definitely nice to have. What we're looking to gain from capturing said targets could definitely stand to have some expansion. Something to take our minds off of the fact that our efforts ultimately have zero strategic significance. It's not necessary from a gameplay perspective, true, but it is a straightforward and simple quality-of-life improvement for the game atmosphere.

8. Covenant weapons also conveniently happen to not be composed of living tissue taken from what is likely to be the most virulent and infectious disease in the entire Solar System. You'd have a lot less reason to wonder about concerning the safety of picking up a plasma rifle compared to picking up a gun made entirely of ebola.

1. A bit confused here.

4. The virus was created by the Orokin OR if we go back to the Dark Sector origins, it was created by a bunch of terrorists. 

5. We don't really fight for them, we simply align ourselves with this faction. Our goal is not driven to protect them, it is simply to support the faction by providing them with items.

6. I'd like to see your nitpicking.

7. I can agree there, maybe Lotus saying what we need from them could provide some form of Lore (albeit very small amounts).

8. Aren't the Tenno also victims of the Technocyte virus? So that'd make them compatible with the weapons. 

(also, ebola gun...that sounds amazing)

With respect Rebecca, there is a huge difference between ongoing story reveals vs. important backstory that the lack of is really hitting immersion.

Sure we play amnesiac Tenno but there is so much that our Tenno should be able to find out almost the instant they wake up.

* What are we playing? Not the history of the Tenno but simply physical facts.

* How long have the Grineer been active.

* How long have the Corpus been active.

* How long has the infestation been active. Is Lephantis the source of all the infestation in the system?

* Were are the civilians that we're supposed to be fighting for, what planets and how many, show don't tell.

* What is a Warframe, not the history, not snippets from the Orokin era but physical facts.

* What are we doing to the capture targets, what is that technology.

* Where do these infested weapons come from, why do we consider them safe?

Simple basic things that round out your setting, _not_ ongoing story.

Keep the Orokin secrets on the slow burn... fine.

Have story progression involving Grineer and Corpus experiments... sure

But give us enough background to actually make decisions for our characters... give us _context_

You forgot the SENTIEEEEENTS!!!(D.E too)

Its-Over-9000.png

Edited by unknow99

1. A bit confused here.

4. The virus was created by the Orokin OR if we go back to the Dark Sector origins, it was created by a bunch of terrorists. 

5. We don't really fight for them, we simply align ourselves with this faction. Our goal is not driven to protect them, it is simply to support the faction by providing them with items.

6. I'd like to see your nitpicking.

7. I can agree there, maybe Lotus saying what we need from them could provide some form of Lore (albeit very small amounts).

8. Aren't the Tenno also victims of the Technocyte virus? So that'd make them compatible with the weapons. 

(also, ebola gun...that sounds amazing)

1. I could be wrong, but I think he's pointing out the lack of details surrounding our ongoing war. e.g. Stuff went down during the first Fomorian Sabotage, but unless you were there to experience it we've got zilch to go on.

4. You're missing the point. We know how the virus was created. It would be good to know how it continues to propagate. Is Lephantis its Hive Mind, or just some particularly large mobile tumor? Will the new Golem be its canonical spawning ground? (e.g. the original Hive from which the Infestation began to spread.) We know plenty about how the Infestation came about, but we don't know much about what sort of relevance it has to the modern day Warframe universe. It's a plague and it spreads. We get that. But how does it accomplish this? There are any number of plausible hypotheses we can throw out, but some official confirmation would be nice.

5. I disagree entirely. It is possible to play the mercenary and only serve a particular faction for specific rewards, but from a loremonger perspective picking a Syndicate and aligning with them indicates that you are endorsing their ideals. In other words, we fight to gather the materials we sacrifice, and completing Syndicate missions should be counted as helping a Syndicate accomplish an objective directly. This means that if we're aligned with Steel Meridian, we are fighting alongside a faction that fights for civilians. Your personal goal may be simply supporting the faction, but other people will support the faction with the goal of protecting civilians. 

6. We already know that a Warframe is a suit built to house a Tenno. We don't know whether or not there are actual organic components to a Warframe or if it is simply a hollow shell. If we take the dialogue from the Limbo Theory (provided they didn't go back and change the fact that we are one Tenno who can "wear" different Warframes, it raises the question of whether we're simply a personality that can be transferred from Warframe to Warframe, or if we're some sort of ethereal void entity. Do we power all of the Warframe's functions, or are there auxiliary power sources? (This would explain the EMP attacks of Ancient Disruptors draining our shields.) It has been stated that we power the Warframe's native abilities, but how do we do that? Is there a reason we have to gather energy drops? From a gameplay perspective, the reasoning is obvious. From a lore perspective, there are huge gaps in logic. Who in their right mind would build a war machine that depends on enemy supplies to function? A technical explanation of how a Warframe works would be really interesting.

8. You're assuming that Dark Sector is both canon and exact precedent for modern day Tenno when that isn't necessarily the case. Yes, Hayden Tenno is supposed to have founded the Orokin Empire, and he was a victim of the Technocyte Virus. No, that doesn't mean all the subsequently created Tenno are as well. (Ember's lore entry would suggest that we were normal human children simply exposed to the void. The Orokin tossed us in and waited to see what came back out.) Whether or not the Technocyte was involved is unspecified. 

The point is that there are many aspects of the lore that seem apparent. Without dev confirmation, though, everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. We don't need confirmation for everything, but there needs to be a slightly more extensible network of loosely related "confirmed" facts that we can use to theorycraft. 

It's almost like they have about 40 years of franchise history and content to look back on and build off of. One day we'll get there. I think we've added more lore to Warframe in U15 than ever before, and we've been following the Fomorian Threat as it grows... to be continued.

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Besides, while NEverwinter's gameplay is actually pretty good, its cash grab tactics are abysmal. 100+ bucks for DLC and a new character race. And that's just one particular race. Want other new races/classes and DLC? 50 to 100 more bucks PER DLC. Yeah, uh, no.

Perhaps they changed it since then, I don't really know. But I simply refuse to go back to that game after seeing such horridness.

Maybe Neverwinter has lore, but it's a snorefest.

Woo, elves, magic and dragons. So exciting! Oh wait.. it's not. Because I've seen it dozens of times already.

Now tell me when was the last time you've seen space ninjas, fighting space nazi clones.

I'd rather scavenge for unique and interesting lore scraps than to be drowning in boring, recycled mess.

Ok its true that you can say they have year of lore to work with.

That doesn't excuse the lack of depth in war-frames story.

The hint and don't show style we have is getting frustrating again.

The "quests" were supposed to bring us some explanation and the tutorial one (Vor's prize) was a good start. However since then quests are just missions with a one or two voice messages from either lotus or ordis. In which they say or hint at something.

The quests have been very lack luster so far. The two darvo alerts from wheeey back had more back and forth and interest than anything done recently.

My hopes were dashed by the archwing intro quest which was a complete mess lore wise. Lotus wants you to get some information from a corpus ship and then formorian shows up... It even starts with Frond and vay hek talking to each other but then it just stops and we just have to leave. After the convo at the start it is very disjointed. From what I recall there was no line from Lotus going:

(BTW - I may have forgotten if something similar was mentioned. However we cannot replay quests so hard to recall.)

"OMG there be formorians and those be far to powerful for you to attack... WE MUST FLEE!" 

or

"Formorians! Impossible... this situation has turned dire Tenno you must escape.. NOW!"

or a post mission message of

"Vay heks new formorian fleet will shift the balance of power in this solar system. Tenno this threat we cannot ignore"

The archwing quest was just a quick tutorial and excuse to get us flying. Feels like a missed opportunity.

Maybe if we were able to repeat quests, or repeat them on a harder difficulty, we would be able to enjoy the lore more.

In general however we are sorely lacking the lore. Maybe once we get focus system implemented DE will get some time to focus on adding lore components and features (re-playable quests, optional objective missions, multiple ending missions/quests, re-playable past events, more areas like syndicate stations, proper codex entries for everything).

Edited by MDRLOz

Unfortunately this point is kind of moot. There has been plenty of time to introduce lore. There isn't much of a reason as to why more hasn't been brought in sooner. All it seemed to be was just dodging it constantly and being indecisive followed by 'flowering' it with 'oh well we haven't produced stuff sooner or we aren't telling you guys this stuff because we enjoy seeing your threads about it'. That isn't a solid reason and the novelty wore off rather quickly. More so that's you guys fobbing/mugging us off, then you wonder why people get passionately annoyed.

In fact I feel if players didn't kick up a ruckus about it sooner we wouldn't have received as much (or little) what we have now.

Lore provides direction, story and immersion. It creates better missions, better objectives and overall better updates. Some updates clearly illustrate the lack of this.

Edited by Naith

Lore provides direction, story and immersion. It creates better missions, better objectives and overall better updates. Some updates clearly illustrate the lack of this.

I believe you are confusing lore with story. 

Lore does not create better missions or objectives. It just provides a more in-depth knowledge of the universe that the game/story takes place in.

I believe you are confusing lore with story. 

Lore does not create better missions or objectives. It just provides a more in-depth knowledge of the universe that the game/story takes place in.

Nope. It does.

Lore creates a basis. Again, as I said, lore provides a direction which in turn affects the story, therefore affecting what missions are created.

Edited by Naith

Nope. It does.

Lore creates a basis. Again, as I said, lore provides a direction which in turn affects the story, therefore affecting what missions are created.

No no. 

That's story. 

STORY is what drives us to do a mission and to complete it. 

The lore in dark souls doesn't drive us to finish it, the story is what guides us along. The lore just explains the universe around us.

Just like in Destiny. 

The story is us wanting to drive back the darkness. The lore however is the explanation of characters, how weapons work, where locations are and the history behind them. 

Don't confuse the story with lore. Because the lore in Alan Wake isn't what drove us to finish it either, it was the STORY

No no. 

That's story. 

STORY is what drives us to do a mission and to complete it. 

The lore in dark souls doesn't drive us to finish it, the story is what guides us along. The lore just explains the universe around us.

Just like in Destiny. 

The story is us wanting to drive back the darkness. The lore however is the explanation of characters, how weapons work, where locations are and the history behind them. 

Don't confuse the story with lore. Because the lore in Alan Wake isn't what drove us to finish it either, it was the STORY

Hmmm... No. You aren't reading or just not understanding.

Once, again, the lore can provide the basis for the story. It provides the background. It provides a source. It can provide options and reasons for a plot. It provides so much and can easily add character to everything. I never said the lore itself drives us (though technically for some it might) so I'm not sure where you're trying to pick that point from and use it. Feel as if I'm repeating myself here but don't sit there telling me I'm getting confused.

Edited by Naith

Hmmm... No. You aren't reading or just not understanding.

Once, again, the lore provides the basis for the story. It provides the background. It provides a source. It can provide options and reasons for a plot. It provides so much and can easily add character to everything. I never said the itself lore drives us (though technically for some it might) so I'm not sure where you're trying to pick that point from and use it.

Feel as if I'm repeating myself here but don't tell me I'm getting confused.

It provides the basis for everything yes, but it does not drive us to do anything. Sure to gain more lore and information about the story, but that alone cannot do everything. The story can easily provide info about a character, the lore just explains a bit more. 

In your first post you literally said "Lore provides direction". This is you saying "Lore directs us to do X in the game", which is false. As this is the story doing this. I don't think I ever had the lore in Destiny change how missions are played out, just the story that the game follows. 

Lore cannot change how missions are played out what can be changed, that's the story. 

Perhaps I'm speaking from a Dark Souls point of view, in which the lore's only purpose is to provide detail and explanations on the mysterious and very hidden world that we explore and that can cloud what the lore can really do. This is just my opinion.

It provides the basis for everything yes, but it does not drive us to do anything. Sure to gain more lore and information about the story, but that alone cannot do everything. The story can easily provide info about a character, the lore just explains a bit more. 

In your first post you literally said "Lore provides direction". This is you saying "Lore directs us to do X in the game", which is false. As this is the story doing this. I don't think I ever had the lore in Destiny change how missions are played out, just the story that the game follows. 

Lore cannot change how missions are played out what can be changed, that's the story. 

Perhaps I'm speaking from a Dark Souls point of view, in which the lore's only purpose is to provide detail and explanations on the mysterious and very hidden world that we explore and that can cloud what the lore can really do. This is just my opinion.

No me saying 'lore provides direction' is saying exactly that, it provides a direction. A direction a story can be taken. On a side note, pretty sure a lore can change how missions are played out. Lore can easily provide background for factions/characters, therefore changing what routes missions could take. Said person/faction wouldn't do that due to this happening long ago etc.

Edited by Naith

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Besides, while NEverwinter's gameplay is actually pretty good, its cash grab tactics are abysmal. 100+ bucks for DLC and a new character race. And that's just one particular race. Want other new races/classes and DLC? 50 to 100 more bucks PER DLC. Yeah, uh, no.

Perhaps they changed it since then, I don't really know. But I simply refuse to go back to that game after seeing such horridness.

Well tbh one of the character races that was once pay to get it now free so I assume the other will come in time, and the "DLC" seems free, I haven't reached that spot but the fact that I haven't seen cash grabs to acess it and I haven't seen people in the guild I am in complain they can not access it "no one pays in this guild" now am I saying I am ok with all these cash grabs? No. Do I kinda understand why they are there? Yes> Does it excuse the fact of how bad it is? No.