Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Spy 2.0 Preview

[DE]Whirrrrr

As others have already said, I'm a bit concerned that Spy 2.0 will be annoying rather than engaging if the stealth mechanics go completely unchanged. Can we expect any adjustments to spawning, enemy alertness levels, or at being able to see alert consoles on the map at all times (so we know where the enemy is gonna run off to)?

Still excited to see a new game mode none-the-less, quirks with stealth aside it'll be nice to actually get rewarded for ninja-ing our way through the map for once.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

I hate to say it, but along with this great and much needed update, the devs will really need to focus on also overhauling the minimap system. In its current state, it is difficult to determine enemy locations and elevated rooms / targets. 

Solo mission here i come.

No offense to the many players out there that can't do rescue, but i believe this might be way to hard.

I'll be doing several solo missions to make sure i find nice and easy entrances to compensate for future missions with randoms, afterall i believe with randoms doing the mission 100% stealthy might be way to much for me, i can't control other players.

So yeah i think this will be similar to rescue, everyone will enter creating chaos, i go and get the terminal while the other 3 players die or get confused with the layout, i can see it now.

The problem may appear with several paths to get them, i guess volt speed might become more usefull than ever, meaning it might be usefull to get the 3 terminals before anyone gets there to screw perfection.

Glad to see it's coming really soon.

I'm really interested to see how it turns out, as I'm concerned about one thing. How will it work with the current stealth system (or should I say lack of one).

Btw, xp rewards for completing objectives are a great idea, I'm glad they'll be implemented. I'm sure they'll need a lot of tweaking to properly reward players for completing them but still, it's a good start.

this needs to come with Stealth revamp or it won't work....

Indeed. You can't do Spy 2.0 without doing Stealth 2.0.

If we had a gamemode based on movement, it'd be the same issue : you couldn't do it without Parkour 2.0.

Edited by unknow99

I'll keep it on topic for now by answering questions about Spy 2.0, rest assured we're are reading all suggestions in this thread.

Will the scaling XP rewards be implemented on other objective-type gamemodes?

Possibly, some of them already give a minimal amount of xp but it doesn't scale.

Question: Will there be alternate ways of traversing the map to get to the objectives other than being on the ground?

Within the new vault tiles, yes.

Will these XP rewards work with Syndicate RP as well? We gain RP mostly from kills. But with this Spy 2.0 will it reward us with not only XP, but also good RP w/o forcing us to kill innocent artifical idiots our enemies, hehe?

XP gained through means other than killing enemies does feed in to end of mission XP, a portion of which is given as reputation in syndicate missions.

I was going to ask, what makes this different than Rescue 2.0 (x3, minus get 'em to extraction) with a dash of Hive? I'm still PUGing through the starmap (taking my time, enjoying the sights) and those are probably my two least favorite mission types.

The timer mechanic triggering data loss and hack to extract the data is quite similar to rescue.  There are some key differences, however.

Rescue tiles all have a similar basic setup; antechambers with a co-op hack door to enter the space, a larger open area with patrolling wardens and a few traversal and avoidance routes, and a smaller secure area with cells behind a locked door.

Overall level design in Spy 2.0 has placed much more emphasis on creating varied challenges.

Vault tiles have a far looser definition than rescue tiles.  There is a space to separate the vault from the main level outside (a hack door or elevator), and a challenge area before reaching the console.  For example there's one which is parkour focused with wall runs and moving lasers, one which spawns a miniboss if the alarm is set off, a simple looped corridor with cameras and patrols around an inner secure area, a vault with conveyors... I won't spoil it all before release :)

Focus is mostly on automated security measures rather than patrolling enemies, unlike the use of wardens in rescue.  Vaults are much smaller and less open than rescue tiles.  Enemies are kept to a minimum, some vaults have no enemies at all.  Vaults can be cracked independently of one another (all three are available from the start), so as a team you can stick together or spread out to cover ground faster.

Having to stop, think, maneuver, time parkour, explore and avoid being seen is expected in many vault rooms.

I'm curious which part looks similar to hive, perhaps that there are 3 localized objective areas?

stealth is one of my favorite game types. i hope to find more players that are inclined towards this game mode as well. but im afraid that we will be finding a lot of rushers spoiling the climax of these type of missions. i´d suggest considering some kind individual reward for each player according to their performance on the stealth side of the mission, contrary to punishing the whole squad if one player decides to rush and set up every single alarm. i dont know, dont want to make early conjectures.

I'm fully expecting this in PUGs.  Unfortunately, this is a reality in most co-op games.  There are a few things we can / have done to encourage teamwork and coordination, but organized teams usually perform better.  We don't want to punish players who don't play stealth here, just make it challenging in a different way.  That said, there's a fine line between punishing and challenging, and it depends on the player!