Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Punch Through Needs Some Love.

JohnKable

I love the Punch Through mechanic (even if it doesnt work properly most of the time) but with a couple K hours of gaming i just faced the fact that a pure damage mod is better 95% of the time.

Im fine with that but after Power throw number 150 i just wondered if the punch through could work differently.

I mean, seriously, if a bullet can pass you part to part it SHOULD definitely ignore your armor and shield.

What do you think about?

I love the Punch Through mechanic (even if it doesnt work properly most of the time) but with a couple K hours of gaming i just faced the fact that a pure damage mod is better 95% of the time.

Im fine with that but after Power throw number 150 i just wondered if the punch through could work differently.

I mean, seriously, if a bullet can pass you part to part it SHOULD definitely ignore your armor and shield.

What do you think about?

I think it would be better if they just added more punch through mods, like dual status mods, maybe the next best weapons could be dual stat punch through mods.

I think it would be better if they just added more punch through mods, like dual status mods, maybe the next best weapons could be dual stat punch through mods.

Yea, right now it's just shred and it's really just only good for bows.

I honestly can't stand using a weapon without a punch-through mod on. 

It allows for:

- Rapid successive kills by ignoring dead bodies (which usually block shots)

- Easy kills on enemies under cover

- Huge conditional, total damage multipliers depending on how many enemies are hit at one time

I find for the most part that it provides greater total damage since most enemies pour through choke points, allowing for multiple hits from a single shot. The only thing it doesn't work well against is bosses.

makes sense that the rounds would become armor piercing (bypassing) and would finally give corpus equal consideration when modding because i imagine shields would behave differently?

Arh I remember the day when the mod Piercing Hit effect is Armor Piercing. Good old days.

Im definitely not saying it is just bad. It is cool and it'd be much better if it just worked properly. 

For endless missions isnt that good cause loosing some k DPS and overall damage per shot isnt good in long term, considering you wont always be able to shot multiple enemies when a sigle one can one-shot you.

Just expressing my opinion that it should ignore armor because first of all it makes sense, and second it would make it shine in endless mission AND against bosses where at some point the only way to damage is having Corrosive aura.
So it would make much more sense for solo players and at the same time allow to make it a build choice when modding a weapon without necessarily keeping in mind your aura too...

Also the double stat Punch through mods would make a lot of sense. Shred isnt that great deal AND increasing rate of fire aint always an advantage  (at least on most weapon i use it just forces me to keep an eye on my mag without consistent benefits)

P.S. small edit: dont take it personally, not saying one is just wrong bringing weapons with PT in endless missions but its still a reality that if those endless go very long raw damage is more reliable than mass overkill at the early and middle stages. 
Thats why i love to bring bows that can combine both without compromises

Edited by JohnKable

Punch-Through is amazing.

if you don't value it's purpose... i look at you funny but do what you will.

the Mods that we have now for it are extremely well balanced and they are worth every bit of their cost. (Power Throw should be 1.0m though :/)

there's no reason for Punch-Through to be better at everything than a Damage Mod. the way it is now, is something weird, called balance, and giving Players choices.

you can either Kill one Enemy somewhat faster, or be able to hit several Enemies at once.

i would like some more Punch-Through options however, for mixing more Playstyles related to Punch-Through.

if Punch-Through ignored Armor and Shields - it would become a new required Mod. it would be better than almost any Mod.

that's the opposite of balance.

it'd be much better if it just worked properly.

For endless missions isnt that good cause loosing some k DPS and overall damage per shot isnt good in long term

but its still a reality that if those endless go very long raw damage is more reliable than mass overkill at the early and middle stages.

- Punch-Through works just fine. you pierce anything in your way (except Nullifier Shields - which yes, that is balanced).

- it's cute that you think that, but nobody else agrees with you. Punch-Through gets more important in Endless Missions, because you need the entire group of 30 or 40 Enemies dead now - not eventually.

Killing a single Enemy maybe 8% faster is not impressive compared to Killing 10 or 20 Enemies in the same time as it takes to Kill one. as well as Killing through Corpses, Walls, Et Cetera.

Punch-Through is already powerful enough to be Meta. why make it Overpowered?

Edited by taiiat

I think it is really just meant for snipers and if it were given the ability to pierce armor it would just make the boltor even more op than it already is so it may need a buff but it really is not ever going to be usable unless they completely change some weapons so i doubt they are ever going to buff it

Punch through... le sigh. I used to hate it, but now I use it on a few weapons. Bows is certainly NOT what it's good for and I dont necessarily think it needs a buff per say. But that would be a pretty awesome effect if it helped ignore some armor or shield on hit since.. you know... it makes sense when you think about it. But I think I agree with the majority of the posts here that some more dual stat punch through mods would be nice! 

It's a touchy subject

What if there were event mods that did like crit chance/damage plus punch-through, Reload speed plus punch-through, and recoil reduction/accuracy and punch-through. This would give nice mods for all weapon types that would help put mod types that would normally be ignored for damage mods on because it would be a better benefit in some people's eyes.

I just wish that Punch Through didn't cost 10 drain. After Serration/Point Blank and a couple elemental mods, I dont have enough room for a 10 drain mod, or if I do I could fit two other utility mods in there. 8 drain I could accomodate, but rarely 10

It really doesn't need any buffs at all.

In the vast majority of cases, the effective damage output bonus it provides is huge.

In the extreme endurance run situations, it's also a huge benefit.  The value of being able to kill an enemy who can one shot you without exposing yourself, aka shooting it through a wall, is also huge.

Adding on additional effects to something that already give massive offense bonuses while allow for effective defensive strategies is madness.

Shred is so good I never take it off my Boltor Prime.  Do I need it on most missions?  No but they're all piss easy anyway and it saves me fiddling with configs.

Shred goes straight through Shield Grineer .  That's just wrong.

I don't use Metal Auger though because Shred is so good.

Is everyone aware that the punch through is in metres and the bullet will keep going until its used up?  Like a single meter of punch through can kill 4-5 enemies with a single bullet, even if they're spread out over 20m.

Bows got innate punch through, they dont use shred. Everything except bows though actually benefits immensely from shred.

Edited by Davoodoo

My Braton Prime says otherwise

Almost all of my main weapons say otherwise and lots of my secondaries too.

Hitting 2, 3 or 4 enemies with 1 bullet is better then hitting only 1.