Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Rank 12 Seems Out Of Left Field

Tesseract7777

Note, I don't mind their being mastery rank restrictions on weapons. If the MR system is going to exist there should be some reason to actually reach a higher mastery rank. 

However, the number chosen -- MR12, doesn't seem to make much sense. It just seems like it was pulled out of a hat or something. Here's why: 

From Rank 1 through Rank 8, there are weapons that are mastery restricted. This is fine, but what makes no sense is the inconsistency. Apart from ridiculous things like Boltor Prime being MR2 while many weapons that are not considered nearly as good are MR6+, the recent decision makes even less sense. And it just makes me feel like there is little consistency with the decisions here. 

Because it goes like this: 

Rank 1 - 8: Mastery Rank restricted weapons 

Rank 9-11: ??????????

Rank 12: Syndicate Primaries 

So we go through eight ranks where we have mastery restricted weapons. Then we just suddenly skip three more ranks and make the new primaries rank 12. Why are there no MR 9-11 restricted weapons in between? Why the number MR12 specifically? It just seems like mastery restrictions on weapons lack consistency. There should be weapons locked between 9-11 as well, and the tier system should make more sense with how good they are. I mean, really, Boltor Prime MR2? And some of the new syndicate weapons are definitely not worthy of an MR12 restriction... 

Edited by Tesseract7777

I think it fits, 12 is before it starts getting super grindy to rank up, it's a good point for more casual players while still requiring you to play a moderate amount. Placing mastery reqs based on what point in the game you should have it instead of just counting upwards is better. That said, all previous weapons with mastery locks do need to be reevaluated and in many cases increased too.

I don't think there's even a point locking under 3, that's just like "hey guys this is a starter gun but it's not".

I'll start off by saying I'm not a fan of locking certain things behind MR (like the Orcus Relay), but I also understand certain restrictions give players something to work towards.

With that being said, MR 12 for Syndicate Primaries that are mostly sidegrades when compared to their base versions is a little harsh, especially with how much you have to grind to get them. I, for one, am a proud member of Steel Meridian and love my Justice Hek, but after seeing the stats of the Vaykor Hek being about 90% the same, I don't see the point of grinding my way up through MR 11 to get a weapon that seems to be worse than the gun I already have since it can't use 100% of my Hek's 220% multishot. Not to mention the Hek is a MR 4 weapon that can easily gain Scattered Justice by either farming for Steel Meridian rep, buying it from another player, or have someone be kind enough to just give it to you.

There are only two ways I can think of that could make these weapons seem more rewarding: either buff the Hell out of the weapons that obviously aren't worth the effort it takes to get them, or drastically lower the MR restriction (maybe 8 or 9, whichever one seems more appropriate for a sidegrade weapon). Unfortunately though, I doubt either of these ideas will happen.

Yeah, but they should obviously be MR20 Restricted just to piss off 99% of the player base.

Just for S#&$s and giggles.

As an MR 20 player I was sooo going to write that just to be mean. You beat me to it. Now you're mean. In fact you're meaner because you took my chance to be mean. Now what does this epic level of meaness mean? I don't know. I got lost on my own tangent. ;)

while this may sound mean, the mastery rank for the syndicate weapons seems appropriate. its already obvious that several are top tier weapons. i think that the boltor prime should be increased in mastery by a bit  but i think that all primes should be because they are supposed to be the "second" weapon a person gets; a level up. (but also not too high because they do represent a large part of the game and what little lore we have. (maybe master 4 for all primes). I also think some of the current mastery ranks should be changed to reflect end build dps too.

They've been neglecting MR restrictions for so long that starting to give every rank weapons isn't a good idea anymore. MR 12 is easily achieved so it's a good jump. I wish more future weapons have MR restrictions this high and even higher.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the reasoning was. 

Maybe to stick it to the endless raving cry-asses who said "there's no reason to level up MR."

I think what people fail to realize here is that there's an underlying reason to releasing a large group of weapons: the amount of players disinterested in continuing to play when there's nothing new to do.

For some of us, raising our Mastery Rank is the game for us, or at least a very substantial part of it. It's unfortunately the only legitimate form of progress as per a traditional game in which progress can be made.

Some of these weapons are an insult. The Tigris is a monster, and the critted up Vaykor Hek is still being analyzed by people; while the concensus is that its end total DPS is the same as the normal Hek, just with a different means of applying that damage. IE: Not ridiculous overkill on enemies that don't need all of that multishot damage to be killed. 8 shots in a sustained DPS fashion in a game with multiple enemies generally tends to be better.

The Prisma Shade and its weapon were yet another MR cap injection, as is this with six weapons, a sentinel and a new weapon. For some of us, it's literally quantity over quality. Though, in that mess of using every single piece of equipment in the game, we find some gems that the mainstream otherwise is silent about.

Most of these are side-grades for the most part, and nothing that is preventing you from obtaining a higher level of actual power than you'd otherwise have access to. These are blatant stepping stones for players who want cooler, new guns to toy around with, and making them require 125K syndi rep ensures that most people aren't going to be obtaining all six overnight and capping them out. It will take time, and continued play to obtain that.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here; the metrics used of how many players are active at a given time is a very real source of data that is used in some small part to determine the company's net value. Regardless of platinum purchased, the amount of people within the game makes it attractive to investors. Keeping people playing raises that value and keeps the game afloat.

Not everything has to be made of pure gold and fire rockets that blow up stars with an MR2 requirement. Besides, at this point in the game's life, MR12 is equal to what MR8 used to be about a year ago. It's not difficult to attain by the market and a dojo's tech alone. I doubt you even need to touch prime weapons or frames anymore.

Edited by DiosGX

You seem to believe DE operates with sense, reason and a plan.

Don't worry i used to as well, a long time ago. you'll rage for a bit, discuss the ludicrousness with your friends and ultimately accept.

In very rare cases obviousness gets a jab in and some stuff gets fixed, and i guess we can rejoice in these small victories.

Yep... so the lovely Telos Boltor which is mediocre needs rank 12, while the Boltor P which is superior needs MR2.

telos boltor is actually superior.. a less 10% damage with more mags and truth effect... now tell me how is boltor p superior to telos boltor?