Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Less Monks! More Kodo Drums!

Omnimorph

1) The "monk" Void music was great the first hundred times, but I'm in the Void so often that I'm starting to get a bit sick of it.  Can we have some more music rotation in the Void please?

2) Can we please have more of that kodo drum theme.  That, to me, is quintessentially Warframe's signature music (it's one of the things that made me fall in love with the game), and it should be on musical rotation in every mission.  It really knits together the "Tenno" theme, with its vague connections to ancient, particularly Asian, and particularly Japanese ("ninja") tradition, and makes that theme present while you're playing, yet at the same time it's extremely martial and kinetic and goes exquisitely well with the fast pace of the game.

Edited by Omnimorph

Really all we want is just more music.

But there was a thread a while back about this and DE_George said he was working on some music that was going to "give the game a distinct identity" or something like that. So no worries.

I doubt they'll bring back the old soundtracks anyway, it's part of a particular atmosphere that DE seems to not be a big fan of anymore, with gloomy lighting and three rather dull tracks replaying over and over again.

I think the Void "monks" music is great, it's just that I've heard it too much; we just need more variety.

And I don't want endless Kodo drums, but do I want to hear that theme more often. 

I appreciate if that was all there was at the beginning, a lot of vets will be sick of that, but I came in a year and a bit ago, when that Kodo drum theme was embedded in the midst of more music, and it just speaks "Warframe" to me whenever it thunders in.

But there was a thread a while back about this and DE_George said he was working on some music that was going to "give the game a distinct identity" or something like that. So no worries.

I doubt they'll bring back the old soundtracks anyway, it's part of a particular atmosphere that DE seems to not be a big fan of anymore, with gloomy lighting and three rather dull tracks replaying over and over again.

Don't take this as a complaint, because I totally love the new dynamic music system and the new faction-specific tracks (including op's void monks), but the move away from the old-Warframe dark and cosmic ambiance has made the game less unique, in my opinion. As much as I appreciate all the time and work that must have gone into the new songs, and as much as I actually like them in and of themselves, they are overall more similar to the music and feel of other sci-fi shooters.

Granted, the old tracks "replaying over and over again" needed to be fixed, and the new music and dynamic song system does that. I do wish, though, that DE had chosen to keep the extremely unique and wonderful feel that it had originally- dark, elegant, cosmic, mystic: everything the Tenno are supposed to be. Even the old Lotus logo was more like that- sinuous, complex, organic, with an air of mystery and intrigue. The new logo is just a simplistic (and sharper) facsimile, but it lacks all the depth of the original. Sure, it scales down better, and it's maybe more in keeping with the best practices of branding in the gaming industry, but in my opinion, it's lost something. I feel like the music is taking that same path as well.

To be clear, I like the tracks (but I loved the old tacks), I love the dynamic system, and I totally understand that there are market forces that might lead to creating new music that's more similar to what new players expect. When a game is too unique, it will only appeal to the subset of your market that likes that sort of thing, so you've got to come in a bit and settle somewhere closer to the center. There may have been other creative ideas from the dev that nixxed the original sound and feel as well, and if there were, I'd like to hear about them.

But at the end of the day, I just hope and wish that the old tracks are being re-worked to fit into the dynamic music system, and that they'll be updated and re-introduced alongside the new tracks in the future. (And secretly, I also hope and wish that the old logo would come back, too...)

Back in my day, all we had were Taiko drums, and WE LIKED IT. *waves old man cane about*

In all honesty though, having a couple tracks in rotation for each tileset would be pretty nice. As a musician myself I know it's time consuming work, but it's worth it in the long run <3