Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hek Shooting Sound

Anneliese.Clausewitz

Its sad to see no response from DE. They asked us to try the new sound out for a couple of weeks. I guess more than that has passed by & the community seems to have spoken their mind now. Are they even working on anything to find a solution for this or should should we assume that no changes will be made & let this thread die ?

Its sad to see no response from DE. They asked us to try the new sound out for a couple of weeks. I guess more than that has passed by & the community seems to have spoken their mind now. Are they even working on anything to find a solution for this or should should we assume that no changes will be made & let this thread die ?

Or...

We all could keep spamming DE with PMs to make them take another look at it. Or disable PM systems on the forums. Or ban all of us outright.

Edited by Mofixil

Hi everyone,

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions.  We have thought a lot about the old and new sound of the Hek.  We decided to put a list of pros and cons together for each version to help with the decision process:

Old Hek 

Pros:

-Familiarity of the sound

Cons:

-No improved reverb tail (changes with environment, the sound that happens after the initial gunshot)

-Was way too loud compared with all other current weapons

-No variations on each shot (was only one sample, which gets fatiguing)

New Hek:

Pros:

-Improved reverb tail

-Better volume level with relation to other weapons

-More shot variations

-Higher fidelity sound (we reworked it from the ground up)

-More impactful and powerful initial gunshot

Cons:

-Lack of familiarity 

We think that in order to keep the game and new ideas and tech moving forward, that we will be keeping the current sound.  We really believe it is for the better and fits in more with all the current gun sounds in the game.

Many of you have asked for "gun sound packs" to be added to the game, where you could customize your weapon's sound.  I think that this is a possibility for the future but we don't have any current plans to support it.  Warframe has over 200 weapons (and growing!) so making alternate sounds for each weapon would require a ton of man-hours and lots of work.  We think that for now, our time is better spent working on new items that get added to the game, and occasionally revising old.

Once again I want to reiterate that we do sincerely appreciate all of your feedback (positive and negative) and that we always take every comment into consideration.

DE_George.

I just wanna know why you can't edit the existing sound to be more like the original, keeping the feel and the reverb.

Everyone's happy then.

Because that's completely insane and would take large amounts of time JUST to edit in this one INCREDIBLY minor feature for this one weapon.

Hi everyone,

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions.  We have thought a lot about the old and new sound of the Hek.  We decided to put a list of pros and cons together for each version to help with the decision process:

Old Hek 

Pros:

Cons:

-No improved reverb tail (changes with environment, the sound that happens after the initial gunshot)

New Hek:

Pros:

-Improved reverb tail

-More shot variations

Cons:

-Lack of familiarity 

the old one was too loud VS others? what about prisma grakata? gorgons? get real please, guns have a lot of variety in their pitches......

and the new is not more impactful at all, the initial sound especially, sounds like the gun broke internally :\/

just return the old one, add reverb to it and we`re all happy

I love the sound of the new Hek. it's amazing. Realistically speaking though.

If you change a weapon, shot count, rifling, shot size, calibre etc. It WILL sound different. Hek got changed a lot when they balanced shotguns to be a bit more inline with rifles (btw part of the problem with them was/is that point blank isn't in line with serration but we have prime pb now). No reason it shouldn't sound different

Hi everyone,

Old Hek 

Pros:

Cons:

New Hek:

Pros:

-Improved reverb tail

-More shot variations

Cons:

-Lack of familiarity 

We think that in order to keep the game and new ideas and tech moving forward, that we will be keeping the current sound.  We really believe it is for the better and fits in more with all the current gun sounds in the game.

Many of you have asked for "gun sound packs" to be added to the game, where you could customize your weapon's sound.  I think that this is a possibility for the future but we don't have any current plans to support it.  Warframe has over 200 weapons (and growing!) so making alternate sounds for each weapon would require a ton of man-hours and lots of work.  We think that for now, our time is better spent working on new items that get added to the game, and occasionally revising old.

Once again I want to reiterate that we do sincerely appreciate all of your feedback (positive and negative) and that we always take every comment into consideration.

DE_George.

You know, how loud the original Hek was is what people liked the most.

Cons:

Well, judging from what has been said so far in regards of the new sound - this is what made the difference. Old Hek may have been loud, but it sounded powerful. It's a friggin four-barrel shotgun after all, that can kick enemies to the other end of a room.

I can understand when you don't want to make the new sound as loud as the old one - but please consider to crank up the volume at least a bit. And give us back some of that bass.

If you change a weapon, shot count, rifling, shot size, calibre etc. It WILL sound different.

While you are technically right, new Hek doesn't sound like the beast it was and now is even more. But like birdshot ...

Edited by Bibliothekar

Here, here's a direct comparison between old hek and new hek:

https://clyp.it/fujaj0bj

The new one sounds far more detailed and characteristic. Would prefer any day of the week.

If the only problem that keeps people away from new hek boils down to the mere volume of the sound, than i find all this an offplaced complaint, and its entirely ok for DE to stay on their track.

https://clyp.it/fujaj0bj

The new one sounds far more detailed and characteristic. Would prefer any day of the week.

If the only problem that keeps people away from new hek boils down to the mere volume of the sound, than i find all this an offplaced complaint, and its entirely ok for DE to stay on their track.

while i`m glad u provided evidence, the higher volume sounded more powerful, now it sounds like a freaking asthmatic dude coughing

Cons:

You see, some of us liked the Loudness of the weapon. It felt powerful and it was the main reason why i kept my Hek even though i had other favourites to play with. While i dont really have a problem with the new sounds, the weapon lost its magic for me.

Same with the Viper sounds. When they first came i really really liked their sounds so i grabbed them but the sounds got changed so i never ever touched them. 

Right now, some weapons lacks powerful feeling sounds. Phaedra, Vipers one of those weapons. I apreciate the effort you guys put into this, please keep in mind that some weapon should must make stronger sounds to further emphatize with their powers. Im sorry if im sounding like a spoiled brat but i kept these inside of me for a very long time and wanted to say this.

I said that a lot, and will again, it`s a great sound, sound team, but it doesn`t fit the Hek, and u wasted love on a gun that didn`t need it, look at attica, it sounds like firing spitballs not a crossbow, that would`ve deserved a rework more than hek, and countless other guns that sound like crap..... out of all this, u picked the best to change to worse :I

Old Hek

Pros:

Cons:

New Hek:

Pros:

-Improved reverb tail

-More shot variations

Cons:

-Lack of familiarity

Familiarity has nothing to do with it. I'd never once heard the Buzlok before it was introduced but fell in love the moment I pulled the trigger. And I still haven't changed my opinion that the old Gorgon and Hek sounds are much better than what we have now, even after listening to them for weeks (years, in the Gorgon's case).

What you list as pros and cons here are either backwards or irrelevant. I don't notice any kind of reverb tail, shot variation or higher fidelity sound. The new Hek sound is *less* impactful and powerful than the old one. It sounds like I've rammed a bunch of cotton wool into the barrel. And where you call its old louder sound a disadvantage, I see it as a good thing. It made the Hek feel powerful, even through the dark days when shotguns as an entire class were complete pants.

Edited by DoomFruit

Familiarity has nothing to do with it. I'd never once heard the Buzlok before it was introduced but fell in love the moment I pulled the trigger. And I still haven't changed my opinion that the old Gorgon and Hek sounds are much better than what we have now, even after listening to them for weeks (years, in the Gorgon's case).

What you list as pros and cons here are either backwards or irrelevant. I don't notice any kind of reverb tail, shot variation or higher fidelity sound. The new Hek sound is *less* impactful and powerful than the old one. It sounds like I've rammed a bunch of cotton wool into the barrel. And where you call its old louder sound a disadvantage, I see it as a good thing. It made the Hek feel powerful, even through the dark days when shotguns as an entire class were complete pants.

ITT: opinions

I like the new sound

old one sounded too over the top

it's just a shotgun, not an artillery cannon

Where did you record this, if I may ask?

First time I heard the new Hek sound, I was on Eris. Haven't tried it recently, but it was really bad there, the sound was very muffled and less than half as loud as your recording.