Jump to content

Update 18.5: Download size heads up + graphical improvements explained!


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, CaterHowlett16 said:

 If I wanted a game for it's graphics, I would have played destiny.

If you're not one of the people who likes to hear about improvements to graphics or performance, you're free to move along.

I like content too, but bringing up the subject whenever anything happens that isn't related to new content is stupid. They work on multiple things, but whenever new content is mentioned, people complain about bugs and performance. Whenever bugs or performance are mentioned, people complain about new content. You can't win.

And in case I didn't make it clear, this isn't solely about how the game looks. It's also not the only thing coming in this update. Like, why bring up something unrelated if they talk about one part of it? That'd be like complaining they aren't talking about bugs or performance in a dev workshop about a new frame.

Edited by AdunSaveMe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

If you're not one of the people who likes to hear about improvements to graphics or performance, you're free to move along.

I like content too, but bringing up the subject whenever anything happens that isn't related to new content is stupid. They work on multiple things, but whenever new content is mentioned, people complain about bugs and performance. Whenever bugs or performance are mentioned, people complain about new content. You can't win.

And in case I didn't make it clear, this isn't solely about how the game looks. It's also not the only thing coming in this update. Like, why bring up something unrelated if they talk about one part of it? That'd be like complaining they aren't talking about bugs or performance in a dev workshop about a new frame.

I know I know Look Im sorry, I'm just worried my computer wont be able to handle it. The words BIG UPDATE scare me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CaterHowlett16 said:

I know I know Look Im sorry, I'm just worried my computer wont be able to handle it. The words BIG UPDATE scare me. 

You should read carefully then. I feel I'm using the word performance a bit much, but that's part of their focus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

If you're not one of the people who likes to hear about improvements to graphics or performance, you're free to move along.

I like content too, but bringing up the subject whenever anything happens that isn't related to new content is stupid. They work on multiple things, but whenever new content is mentioned, people complain about bugs and performance. Whenever bugs or performance are mentioned, people complain about new content. You can't win.

And in case I didn't make it clear, this isn't solely about how the game looks. It's also not the only thing coming in this update. Like, why bring up something unrelated if they talk about one part of it? That'd be like complaining they aren't talking about bugs or performance in a dev workshop about a new frame.

This post... it's so to the point.

I agree though, any improvement is a good improvement in my book, and DE is free to spend their time as they choose to. I do understand his point of view though, because like myself I would like to see general game changes and additions. (Additive Focus abilites/passives, Focus Modding... User-generated quests... or anything new like that. Something that would give some more life to the game in between updates. Something that would make it feel more... i dunno, enveloping? Or Immersive... sort of like the Second Dream was. We definitely need more content like that... I do understand that it takes quite a while to make something on that scale; but we have all the time in the world. :D)

*sigh* Just another rant from me... I do like how you addressed that guy however, a very good observation.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CaterHowlett16 said:

I know I know Look Im sorry, I'm just worried my computer wont be able to handle it. The words BIG UPDATE scare me. 

It's only BIG, because they're replacing and updating a bunch of old features and assets. This whole lighting rework was GAME-wide to say the least.

I assume that the updated graphics portion of the update is more than half of the 4 GB estimated download size. It'd be cool to know just how much of the update is content related. :D

Not that graphical improvements are bad, as any improvements are good... on another note, I've already got the pair of pants I will wear this weekend ready for 18.5! (They're folded up in my closet right now.)
(I'm gonna poop them, that's what I'm planning to do though.)

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

It's only BIG, because they're replacing and updating a bunch of old features and assets. This whole lighting rework was GAME-wide to say the least.

I assume that the updated graphics portion of the update is more than half of the 4 GB estimated download size. It'd be cool to know just how much of the update is content related. :D

Not that graphical improvements are bad, as any improvements are good... on another note, I've already got the pair of pants I will wear this weekend ready for 18.5! (They're folded up in my closet right now.)
(I'm gonna poop them, that's what I'm planning to do though.)

You gonna flip em around so you can continue to wear the stained goodness through the end of the weekend? >:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Messor36 said:

what about the new starchart sustem? is it in U18.5 or no?

Suppose to be 19 or later a possibility. They keep on postponing it so who knows if it will come with the Queens or with the Quest System update. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

But that's... not true?

well, to be fair, faster refresh (monitor's capability is important too) lets you see things a tiny bit faster... which is certainly important as information being relayed to you already takes long enough as it is, with the Networking Limitations of the planet Earth currently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, taiiat said:

well, to be fair, faster refresh (monitor's capability is important too) lets you see things a tiny bit faster... which is certainly important as information being relayed to you already takes long enough as it is, with the Networking Limitations of the planet Earth currently.

If it does give you an advantage it's the same advantage that picking a character that has a hitbox half a pixel smaller than everyone else gives you an advantage, which is to say it gives you such a small, utterly minuscule unreadable advantage that it might as well not exist.

if you're good at the game, it won't matter if you have 90 fps or 140 fps. It is not a substitute for skill, nor does it give you enough of an advantage to work with unless you already have superhuman reactions and brain processing speed.

It's like saying having a 5000 DPI mouse makes you better at CSGO than someone with a 4000 DPI mouse.

Edited by AdunSaveMe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to ask though.

 

I've been playing Warframe ever since U.5 on this laptop:

i3-2350 @ 2.3 GHz

4GB Ram

Intel Integrated video card.

 

I do have a powerful PC though:

i7-6700 @ 3.4 GHz ( it has turbo boost so it goes up to 3.7 )

EVGA GTX Classified 980

16GB RAM.

 

Not to say I don't play Warframe on that PC, but graphical improvements doesn't seem like it'll be friendly to my laptop and I usually play Warframe on my downtime at school on the laptop.

 

 

Edited by __Kanade__
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

if you're good at the game, it won't matter if you have 90 fps or 140 fps.

It's like saying having a 5000 DPI mouse makes you better at CSGO than someone with a 4000 DPI mouse.

PvP, as it stands on this planet, is not very skill based. because Latency exists, it's always a crapshoot. what you see on your screen isn't what's happening, and only gets worse the slower you're shown those outdated frames to represent what's going on.
PvP games with super low TTK are Anti-Skill. in a future where the entire world is lined with fiber, then ultra fast PvP games might be able to actually be skill based. until then, the only skill based PvP games are ones leaning more towards Mech Warrior side TTK. where fights normally last upwards of minutes at a time (with raw TTK being somewhere around 30 seconds) - then skill really matters.

but shooters love having TTK being <500ms, or just breaking 1000ms. the lower it is, the less skill is relevant to the game. because you'll have Killed your opponent before they even SEE you shooting them.
50ms+50ms from client, to server(few nano seconds to process), to other client; a few nano seconds to process packets and send to GPU; 16.67ms before frame sent from GPU buffer to Monitor; several ms for Monitor to draw Frame assuming it's ready to draw the frame when it's sent.... there's a lot of delays already.
is the topic a big deal? it does matter somewhat - 60Hz means there's at absolute minimum in a theoretical vacuum 16.67R ms between each frame, and when TTK is super low, that's a huge amount of time, other delays stacked on top means not only are you seeing everything late, but could possibly miss something if a frame is forced to be dropped and replaced with a new one or Et Cetera.
 

 

and your sarcastic analogy doesn't make sense because a higher sensitivity multiplier does absolutely nothing, or if it does anything, actually makes you play worse because at weird numbers that aren't a multiple of two - your sensor creates artifacting and, well, moves inaccurately. same deal with going to very high sensitivity settings, setting a sensor to super high sensitivity causing artifacting and basically ruins your mouse.
suffice to say, the Overclocked sensors that the 'gaming' peripheral companies use are complete garbage, but they know that 'DPI' is a buzzword to the general consumer so they'll take advantage of selling a '13,000 DPI' Mouse to you, when the Sensor isn't actually capable of that, and both the Overclocking and high sensitivity setting ruin the mouse anyways.
which makes me sad because they'll start with Avago Sensors - best in the industry - and then desecrate them like that. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, motorfirebox said:

Sweet.

Does this mean stuff like the artifact lines on Nova's Immortal skin will be fixed?

Too lazy to go find it, but some DE posted in a thread somewhere showing her immortal skin lines fixed (also mentioned mynki was reworking the design or something). Not sure if this means all the immortal skins got fixes though.

 

@OP/DE Can't wait for these changes, really hoping it improves my performance a bit but at the very least the stuff you've shown on devstreams/twitter looks amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...