Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best 'Endgame?' Shotgun?

Voidforged

Question

I've been scouring the internet all day and I've yet to discover a clear consensus. There are equal arguments for the Vaykor Hek and Sancti Tigris, as well as the Sobek, regular Hek, Drakgoon, Kohm, and Strun Wraith. 

Assume unlimited forma, maxed primed mods, and unrelenting hordes of level 100+ enemies. Which shotgun would you choose and why? How would you build it? 

Sancti Tigris hands down. Massive amount of damage, with the corrosive proc. I build it with punch through and viral usually. 

15k slash, 14k viral and 5k heat. It one shots pretty much all infested mob. Not so much with grineer or  corrupted because of armor but it's really the most powerful weapon we have, imo.

Edited by Stoner74

Vaykor Hek crit build or Sancti Tigris. Whichever fits your taste. 

I don't think Sobek or Strun Wraith are on the same level, Kohm depletes ammo way too fast. And I didn't like Drakgoon much. Not hitscan and I don't like relying on ricochets to boost damage. 

Sancti Tigris, definately. It's one of, if not, the best weapon in the game, although I only use it on the hardest missions, as I don't like the firing mechanic. The regular Hek is also a really good choice if you like blowing enemies apart by shooting their leg. The Vaykor Hek is a better option if you mod it for crit and like going for headshots.

My issue with the Sancti Tigris is that no matter how much damage you pump into it, its always only 2 kills per reload (unless running with Seeking Fury, which most do). I prefer the Vaykor Hek over most weapons, though its really a matter of preference. Strun Wraith is a status proc machine and the Kohm and Sobek are pretty solid too. From the weapons you've listed, I'd say pick whatever you enjoy the most, as all of them are pretty viable to use. 

Vaykor Hek >= Scattered Hek > Kohm > Strun Wraith > Boar Prime > Sancti Tigris > Drakgoon > Sobek > Phage. 

Sancti Tigris is overrated. Loses it's oneshot ability real quick. You need high Puncture/Impact damage at higher levels more than Slash. Not to mention it's incredibly low magazine is quite terrible. Even with punch-through you're not clearing rooms.

Edited by Tymerc

4 minutes ago, Tymerc said:

Vaykor Hek >= Scattered Hek > Kohm > Strun Wraith > Boar Prime > Sancti Tigris > Drakgoon > Sobek > Phage. 

Sancti Tigris is overrated. Loses it's oneshot ability real quick. You need high Puncture/Impact damage at higher levels more than Slash. Not to mention it's incredibly low magazine is quite terrible. Even with punchthrough you're not clearing rooms. 

I wouldn't put Phage at the bottom. It's innate viral and high status makes it great for end-game. Drakgoon isn't that great, and Sobek is only good if you have the mods for it.

I don't think you'll ever really have a clear consensus to this one. Even though they are all apples in one respect, they are all very different flavors.

None of the weapons are really comparable to each other as they each do their jobs differently in so many way (I/P/S, burst vs sustained, speed, reload, procs, and range)

For my part, I'd be comfortable taking just about anything other than the Drakgoon(hate it), Phage(not crazy about it), base Strun, or Strun MK-1 (both are underpowered) vs those mobs. 

My favorite would probably be the Redeemer as it's like Season All— It works on everything.

Nobody talks about the regular Tigris anymore, but I'd say it's still good. Less damage than the Sancti but much easier to get. I build mine with quadshot for more versatility. Also, Scattered Hek for the win. Vaykor Hek requires primed crit mods to perform optimally, which not everybody will have.

Vaykor hek is the best imo; works well with most frames, the 8 shots can be fired very rapidly and per magazine it does higher damage than the sancti tigris, with less damage fall-off and less spread. 
The tigris is only good for face to face combat to be honest as the damage fall off is just so bad.

29 minutes ago, Tymerc said:

Sancti Tigris is overrated. Loses it's oneshot ability real quick. You need high Puncture/Impact damage at higher levels more than Slash. Not to mention it's incredibly low magazine is quite terrible. Even with punchthrough you're not clearing rooms. 

You can infer from both the slash and the choice of viral damage in the picture of the s.tigris that it is intended for running with 4x corrosive projection.  Beyond that clearing rooms is not how you use the weapon, its to take down the one or two high priority targets in the room while others deal with the trash mobs.

Use the right tool for the right job.  In that context the tigris is an outstanding weapon.

36 minutes ago, Tymerc said:

i think your not modding it right if it looses it's 'one shot' real quick. 

I'm doing 38076 damage with 82.7% status. it's not till you get like level 90 

Vaykor Hek and Sancti Tigris have the highest damage overall.

Vaykor Hek generally does more damage than the regular one because you get extra headshot damage. Also having 8 shots in the magazine is nice, while 4 can be really annoying.

If you are running solo and against enemies with armor the strun wraith is a lot stronger than those 2 however. You can get 100% status with 3 dual stat mods. This means you get >20 procs with each shot. Combine that with corrosive damage and you easily shred enemy armor. The reload mechanic can be a downside when fighting large groups of enemies.

The vaykor hek I would mod for straight up crit + dmg.

On the Sancti Tigris I like to go with sweeping serration + status, especially against high armor this is very useful. I also have tactical pump, because you have to reload so often.

On the strun wraith I also have tactical pump + 3 dual stat mods for the 100% status.

Seeking fury is always a nice option, especially on the sancti tigris. On the strun wraith I don't use it, because I rather get a little bit more damage.

Define endgame. No, seriously.

Going by the scenario you outline?

Yes, the Tigris is easier to get, but the question was 'endgame' and it's straight up out-statted by the Sancti. The Hek at least has the synd aug, which gives it higher damage per shot than the Vk Hek (which has better burst/sustained, and headshot crits are always nice).

High armored will do bad things to the Sancti/Tigris's slash damage, but the elemental's still good. That said, I'd take a Vk Hek, because why lose that much damage?

On the other hand, Sancti slaughters unarmored/4*CP enemies for the exact same reason.

Strun Wraith can hit 100% status, but I'd take a CC warframe over a CC weapon, any day of the week. (Ability damage is much lower than weapon damage, so your killing comes from stacking and multiplying weapon damage. Why waste that?)

I have a personal bias against the Phage. Hate it's mechanics.

Ditto the Kohm. Too slow before spoolup, too fast after, and too ammo ineffecient overall.

Drakgoon's one of my favorite weapons, but it's clunky to use and is outstatted by the SancTig.

Haven't tried the Sobek in a high level mission with a specially tailored comp, but with the Kela aug and - say - a RD Loki, Vortex Vauban and a Nova, I can see it being pure murder in e.g. a sewer-camp scenario (i.e. chokepoint to make the most of the death-splash and, you know, not die).

tl;dr - Depends who you're fighting.

Sancti Tig against unarmored, Vir+Fire/Slash. (Same for Drakgoon)

Hek for VIP kills, Aug + elemental damage.

Vk/Hek, crit + elemental.

Strun Wraith requires 3 dualstats if you want to hit 100% status. (You want to hit 100% status.)

Sobek - Kela aug + damage. A reload speed mod at your discretion.

And in a horde-mission, every weapon I bring will have some means of punchthrough.

My 2c.

Edited by Chroia
Mixed up Strun W's status and Boar P's. Fixed.

I think it comes down to play style. Sancti Tigris has the highest damage, but the shot mechanic is unwieldly, and the constant reloading is annoying. I haven't tried Vaykor Hek, but I assume I'd enjoy it. Personally, I like Drakgoon - its charged shots have high damage (third highest out of shotguns, surpassed only by tigris and sancti tigris) and punch-through, and it's very versatile, dealing both with crowds and single targets. It's true that it isn't hitscan and hitting targets requires more practice, but with the new mod, fomorian accelerant, the flak flies so fast that the flight-time is nearly negligible. It also adds the ricochet to 4 bounces, meaning that even if you miss, someone, somewhere, is likely to have a bad time. There's also no damage fall of due to distance, unlike other shotguns.

If you do try the Drakgoon, use a mod to raise the fire rate - Shotgun Spazz, namely. This will shorten the charge time considerably, making it a lot less user-friendly.

Of course, using the Fomorian accelerant & Shotgun Spazz makes you lose out in terms of damage (or whatever mod you replace with it), but in my opinion, this is weighted out by the variety and versatility the gun offers.

I prefer the Vaykor Hek for solo play, since puncture is the poor mans slash damage. Unless I'm running a frame that can easily strip armor or debuff, in which case I like to use the Sobek (especially with banshee). If I'm doing a longer run with CP, I'll either bring the Sobek or Sancti.

Those Acid Shells really put in some work when you have a max power sonar there to just demolish everything in front, behind or just anything in the immediate vicinity of you and your squad.

Edited by TheGuyverOne

Sancti Tigris or Vaykor Hek fills the role best.
aiming for Weakpoints really isn't much to ask, and if you do so, Vaykor Hek deals atleast the same Damage per Shot.

Vaykor Hek is generally the choice for 'Meta', with being able to deal it's Damage over a long distance, dealing competitive Damage with the other popular choice (noticably higher if you can hit Weakpoint Crits - most people still can't comprehend the real numbers for these Weapons - this isn't subjective opinions we should be dealing with, we should only be dealing with facts), but having a much larger Magazine. with an Explosion that tends to be better due to the free Finisher here and there.
even without Primed Ravage, in the same general area for Damage.
- but it's not like Sancti Tigris isn't also popular.

• Strun Wraith could be a strong choice, if you're not already Stripping Armor and need a way to - there are easier ways to do so, that you're probably already doing however.
  • the scaling Sobek Mod, won't cut it. while Sobeks' stats are too good to be true, they aren't Overpowered enough to reliably use that scaling Mod. however if you have a way to drastically increase the Damage it applies, then the Scaling Mod can become useful.
  • Drakgoon could be used, since it's Damage per Shot is quite close to Sancti Tigris, but with variable Accuracy for you to make use of however you want. and innate Punch-Through (that's still kind've broken, again). w/ no Damage falloff which is nice.
50 minutes ago, Chroia said:

Strun Wraith requires 4 dualstats

Strun Wraith requires 3 Status Elementals.

Edited by taiiat

Really depends.  I have both.  I will say I have primed ravage 2 ranks away from being all the way leveled, so I can't quite compare them both.  In the simacrulim, I tried both against a level 110 heavy gunner.  The tigris took 1 less round, even with a punch through mod, but it took longer than the vaykor hek due to the larger magazine (without a punch through mod).  I would say that the tigris is really good for hordes of lower level or flesh-ier enemies, due to the larger spread and slash damage.  Whereas the vaykor hek is better for medium range and hitting one target at a time.  I would say both are just as good against armor, per shot, just because the amount of elemental damage potential on the tigris offsets for the puncture based damage on the hek.  

All things considered, I would say the hek is better all around, due to its longer range capability and larger magazine.  But the sancti tigris is still my favorite, as there seems to feel more rewarding.  

If you can aim and have access to pred ravage and laser sight I'd definitely go with the Vaykor Hek for insane headshot damage. If you can aim for the head you can kill lv 100 heavy gunner in 3 rounds. Four barrels of death and 8 instakills in a mag is hard to beat tbh

Sancti Tigris is nice with 4x CP and takes much less effort to get it to a god tier status and isn't that reliant on the users accuracy. Against heavy armor it begins struggles though.

Strun wraith can annihilate armor in 4 shots. Nice for high level soloing and a great utility weapon

Those are the top three IMO, but test them all to find what suits your playstyle

Edited by OzoneSlayer