Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I say we shouldn't rework Ash

LightstealKnight

DE Scott tried to do what many people were suggesting and he said it ended up like "World on Fire" with Ash shadows.

Bladestorm used to be a single Ash before the previous rework.

The idea with providing shadows was to make it a stronger ability.

I propose that we don't rework Ash.

Rather we just have the game figure out an optimal camera angle, and show the ability in its full glory.

Alternatively, you people that want to make this ability active and not a "Push 4 to win"....

Make it a whack'a'mole minigame.  Where this optimal camera angle lets you click on enemies and spawn a shadow on each one clicked within the time period.  I'd rather have the first suggestion but this is the only valid alternative I can think of that would preserve the ability's potential and maybe even give it the chance to spawn more shadows if the player is fast enough with the point and click.

20 minutes ago, (XB1)Agent Hodor said:

Glaring issue would be translating "point and click" to controllers on PC/consoles for your whack-a-mole idea.

Agreed, the cursor (Reticle) would have to have a larger size on consoles to make up for the difficulty of point and click.

But essentially, when shooting guns, you are doing the same thing.

Edited by LightstealKnight

12 minutes ago, TheErebus. said:

Sorry, I've been gone for a while. What's happened with Bladestorm?

they wanna rework it. they tried to make it like ember's WoF but they said it was terrible 

I suggest that when you cast BS, your hand blades pop up, and you can't use any weapons, instead, when you run and bump into an enemy, the current 'state' of BS activates, and you start BSing the enemy you bumped into plus the enemies surrounding it. basically like a mini BS. to balance this, Ash will get x% evasion while his BS is active, he'll still create shadow too. also when you bump into an enemy, the radius of BS would be smaller

I think this solves the problem of BS being too OP, P4TW and repetitive, plus it'll make you active more 

Edited by Kenshin98

The reason they want to rework abilities like Bladestorm is so that your active and interacting with the game while its occurring, not just pressing 1 button and murder everything/go AFK as they seem to want to move away from that style of play now, it seems.

Just because their first attempt didn't work out, doesn't mean they should immediately give up on trying to make the ability more interactive and possibly more fun.

Edited by NovusNova
Edited Typo

Problem is not really the camera, but the boring cutscene the game turns into after pressing 4.

I wish we had something like him getting to use his hidden blades and having free teleport  in any direction with increased mobility and synergies with his other powers.

17 minutes ago, Kenshin98 said:

they wanna rework it. they tried to make it like ember's WoF but they said it was terrible 

I suggest that when you cast BS, your hand blades pop up, and you can't use any weapons, instead, when you run and bump into an enemy, the current 'state' of BS activates, and you start BSing the enemy you bumped into plus the enemies surrounding it. basically like a mini BS. to balance this, Ash will get x% evasion while his BS is active, he'll still create shadow too. also when you bump into an enemy, the radius of BS would be smaller

I think this solves the problem of BS being too OP, P4TW and repetitive, plus it'll make you active more 

This is what I'm thinking. Turn Hand Blades into an exalted weapon, Charge attack does Teleport at a reduce cost. Finishers of all types spawn 1/2/2/3 clones that do the BS thing to nearby enemies.

47 minutes ago, LightstealKnight said:

The idea with providing shadows was to make it a stronger ability.

Ehm, no. I´m pretty sure the Idea was, that you don´t need to drink a coffee, eating a pizza or something else while in Bladestorm. And after you see all the reworks, do you really think he will not get one? And the old one was that with glory. Because you had enough time watching you killing all those enemies....

Edited by Neothel

I think a rework needs to be done not to just bladestorm, but Smoke Screen too.

I would like Bladestorm to be a Stance ultimate, I really want to use those hidden blades in combat. It could work by making Counter and Stealth finishers spawn clones to execute nearby enemies. Clones would also be invisible and not alert enemies (and count for stealth kills) if Ash is under Smoke Screen's effect.

Smoke screen should be an actual smoke screen. Could work similar to Ivara's arrow, creating a cloud that chokes enemies opening them to finishers and making ash invisible while inside the cloud and for 8s after leaving the cloud, the cloud would last like 10s, slightly longer than the lingering invisibility. Smoke Shadow would make Smoke Screen also affect allies who enter the cloud.

1 hour ago, LightstealKnight said:

I propose that we rework Ash.

Fixed.

Because:

47 minutes ago, NovusNova said:

The reason they want to rework abilities like Bladestorm is so that your active and interacting with the game while its occurring, not just pressing 1 button and murder everything/go AFK as they seem to want to move away from that style of play now, it seems.

Just because their first attempt didn't work out, doesn't mean they should immediately give up on trying to make the ability more interactive and possibly more fun.

Edited by Oranji

38 minutes ago, Foefaller said:

This is what I'm thinking. Turn Hand Blades into an exalted weapon, Charge attack does Teleport at a reduce cost. Finishers of all types spawn 1/2/2/3 clones that do the BS thing to nearby enemies.

ehm, that's not exactly what I meant, another exalted weapon would be too boring. when u cast BS, the blades will show, but you won't actually attack or slash with them, there's no charge attacks or finishers or stuff. just bump into an enemy and the same attack animation we currently have will begin, only at a smaller range. you can still use other abilities too imo 

2 minutes ago, Kenshin98 said:

ehm, that's not exactly what I meant, another exalted weapon would be too boring. when u cast BS, the blades will show, but you won't actually attack or slash with them, there's no charge attacks or finishers or stuff. just bump into an enemy and the same attack animation we currently have will begin, only at a smaller range. you can still use other abilities too imo 

what is the difference then with an exalted weapon? Ash's wrist blades were the FIRST weapon inherent to a frame, it's just a natural step. Instead of bumping into an enemy to finish it, we could unleash Ash's martial fury ourselves, using combos consitent of blades and kicks. Just make the basic E-spam combo not do anything, and the other, more impressive combos open enemies to finishers, when you counter/stealth finish an enemy clones spawn on nearby enemies to do the same, if you are invisible via smoke screen the clones could also be so you get stealth kills. Combine then with a reworked Smoke Screen choking enemies and opening them and Teleport and you get the perfect assassin, elusive and deadly, that Ash is supposed to be. This could be expanded, like turning backspring and sidespring evasive maneuvers into Manic-style teleports. That's way way better than "bumping" into an enemy and nothing else, would also have synergy with the other abilities.

I think the best way to make it not press 4 to win is to make it become an active melee weapon. My suggestion to rework it:

1. When you press 4, you get the Ash's unique Armblades weapon.

2. Ash's Armblades have their own unique stance like Valkyr's Hysteria. The damage is pretty much the same as Exalted Blade, but without the energy waves.

3. You can still use the Bladestorm/Omnislash like our current one by charging the melee attack. It's basically the same as our current Bladestorm/Omnislash with greatly reduced radius and number of jumps to prevent press 4 to win. Don't tweak the damage; we don't want to make the option useless, do we?

4. Ash gains 40-70% (I'm not good with the numbers) to evade damage while the Bladestorm is active (a ninja is supposed to evade attacks right?).

5. Ash will automatically perform finisher attacks with his Armblades when doing teleports while Bladestorm is active.

6. *Optional* Make his Armblades usable inside nullifier bubbles but prevent him from teleporting/doing Omnislash inside it. It doesn't really make sense to make a Nullifier disable a physical weapon right? I'm saying this because his Armblades don't exactly look like something made out of void energy like Exalted Blade or Hysteria Claws.

*Omnislash is Juggernaut's (a DOTA2 hero) skill that's similar our current Bladestorm. I'm using this term to differentiate between the old Bladestorm (which I also refer to as Omnislash) and the new one that I suggest.

Edited by Jangkrik

6 minutes ago, Kenshin98 said:

So like...jumping up to head level behind or in front will show ash slicing into their neck or flipping off their back...

Doing a slide into an enemy will show ash kicking them up into the air...So on, so forth?

The animations have to be a little faster, or they need to be an added effect on top of something else you can do with the ability...like once you bump into an enemy, you continue pressing the melee button to keep attacking them for energy on each attack or something.

Teleport in this mode would cost way less, 1 energy per teleport. 

Shuriken in this mode will cause bleed procs that will be extended by attacking the enemy....?

Smoke screen would give the immunity

Bumping into enemies like this is awesome, then you can parkour around when surrounded by enemies, and use tereport any other time. That's my take on it.