Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does anyone like the new Archwing controls?

Hypernaut1

So i just played a little bit more....our bullets shoot behind us now?  I noticed that the bullets from our weapons just seem to kind of go in whatever direction the reticle  is aiming at regardless of the direction of the AW. IMO, that looks really bad and another step back from what we had before. Well at least i didnt notice it this bad before. 

Yeah well lets all be honest.

Learning new controls is not always a piece of cake. There is this transition that you go throught and it isn't pretty.

When I played the new archwing controls for the first couple of plays I was pretty much furious, because I wasn't able to do anything other than ram into things.

But the more time I spent playing the more I knew about the new controls and my experience of the old finaly stoped me from progressing in the new and I was finaly able to move around like a pro again.

So before you realy want to read the opinions of people about the new archwing mode. You should pay attention to how far are they on thier path to "geting used to it" since the beginning is harder for some, which in turn makes them more emotional and dillutes the forthcoming review of thier experience.

Edited by Deshiel

8 minutes ago, Deshiel said:

Learning new controls is not always a piece of cake. There is this transition that you go throught and it isn't pretty.

When I played the new archwing controls for the first couple of plays I was pretty much furious, because I wasn't able to do anything other than ram into things.

But the more time I spent playing the more I knew about the new controls and my experience of the old finaly stoped me from progressing in the new and I was finaly able to move around like a pro again.

So before you realy want to read the opinions of people about the new archwing mode. You should pay attention on how far are they on thier path to "geting used to it" since the beginning is harder for some, which in turn makes them more emotional and dillutes the forthcoming review of thier experience.

yeah, im trying to get used to it- but why do the bullets need to shoot behind us? maybe im just being nitpicky, but seeing that just made it harder for me to "like" this new system. We should face where we are aiming, why does it need to be floaty? It makes the model feel like it shouldnt even be there since it doesnt really transalate to what we are doing.

ah well. either ill get used to it, or ill ignore AW like other players used to. 

Edited by Hypernaut1

6 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

yeah, im trying to get used to it- but why do the bullets need to shoot behind us? maybe im just being nitpicky, but seeing that just made it harder for me to "like" this new system. We should face where we are aiming, why does it need to be floaty? 

ah well. either ill get used to it, or ill ignore AW like other players used to. 

I am pretty sure shooting at odd angles while sprinting is unintended/a bug. 

As for increasing momentum, they have done it both of the last 2 times they updated Archwing, so it seems to be where they want the design to go. If that's the case the latest version is best because it is consistent and the previous one was not. Rather than go back to the old momentum system it would be better to keep this one and just reduce the amount of momentum, if we don't like the increased momentum. 

Edited by KinetosImpetus

17 minutes ago, Deshiel said:

So before you realy want to read the opinions of people about the new archwing mode. You should pay attention to how far are they on thier path to "geting used to it" since the beginning is harder for some, which in turn makes them more emotional and dillutes the forthcoming review of thier experience.

This is one of the reasons I think it's a bad move to include the old flight model for Titania and Sharkwing; it's that much more difficult to acclimate to the flight model when you'll constantly be switching back and forth.

I think a new minimap would go a long way in terms of enjoyment in archwing. When you're at odd angles, the minimap doesn't provide much guidance on where anything is located, forcing you to reorientate yourself to sync up the minimap to your rotation. A minimap that works at any rotation would remove any confusion while oddly rotated.

1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Someone give me hope.

I don't know if this will help or not but keep in mind as you play that movement is no longer directly chained to your camera.  That is what I had trouble with at first, trying to use the mouse to move my pov.  This won't work very well anymore, you will be using primarily your direction keys (WASD), the camera stays generally in the same location as you move, regardless of direction.

Personally I like it much better, it feels so much smoother to me now, I hope others can get to that point as well but not everyone plays the same.

3 minutes ago, Tain_OSkoom said:

My biggest complaint would have to be with the minimap:

Definitely this.  I am hoping they have a new minimap in the works.  I believe they said as much but its only speculation at this point.

I actually dont like them at all. Aiming feels alot smoother than before, thats niche, but the whole animation set just feels terrible.

It feels like a clunky spaceship and the fact that my gun sometimes points in the oposite direction of where im shooting (while flying sideways) makes it impossible for me to enjoy.

I used to like AW gameplay wise, but SotR, even though I like the Update in general, spoiled it for me.

It would be really nice, if they'd just use the old system again.

Edit, just realised this animation Bug is only while sprinting, so I guess except for this horrible bug, the new system isnt that bad.

Edited by Dawn11715

I dislike how the camera automatically changes our orientation, makes me feel a bit less in control of movement, as well as too much momentum in some occasions.

Works well in open maps like asteroids, but kinda finicky to use in the Corpus tiles and the Jordas Verdict tunnels. 

Also I sorta dislike that small weapon swapping animation when trying to shoot after a melee attack.

Edited by Agentawesome

I don't know how was the old one, since i just recently started paying attention to archwing but i can say only 1 thing. Archwing is not for me, i can do max 1-2 missions because it makes me feel like i am going to puke.

Never had motion sickness, or anything of that sort. But archwing really gives me the headache and makes me feel nauseous.

Edited by PrimeDCookieMonstah