Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do you personally deal with mastery?

Smilomaniac

This is mainly for people who have not collected all frames or reached an absurd high mastery level; It's for others who are in the mid-teens of MR and have some hundred hours of gameplay.

I keep grinding away at alerts, hanging back and doing very little in the way of killing when it comes to leveling "junk" weapons or frames that I don't enjoy very much.
I find it fairly odd, that at +600 hours in, I'm still equipping things that I have no intention of using, for the sake of mastery, effectively locking myself out of one or two weapon slots for most of my gameplay.

It occurred to me a while back, that I'm going about it the wrong way, that taking things slowly and learning to use things in different ways can be a rewarding experience; But then why is it, that the most (time) effective way to level things up, is still to let everyone else do the work for you and basically be a drag on the group?

Maybe it's just an aspect of gameplay that requires you to make your own fun, and not rely on the most powerful frame and weapon builds out there.

So how do you personally deal with mastering warframes and weapons? What mindset do you bring with you?

I didn't really care about it since in the begining it didn't matter much, I just used what I liked.

Then things got MR locked and I started ranking weapons that I am glad I will never have to see again (Furax), I'm MR17 now.

Now I don't really care about MR anymore since the highest MR  lock I've seen on anything is 16 and instead have decided I'm only going to be using my Zenistar for a while, I have 12 formas on it now and don't intend to stop.

42 minutes ago, Smilomaniac said:

This is mainly for people who have not collected all frames or reached an absurd high mastery level; It's for others who are in the mid-teens of MR and have some hundred hours of gameplay.

I keep grinding away at alerts, hanging back and doing very little in the way of killing when it comes to leveling "junk" weapons or frames that I don't enjoy very much.
I find it fairly odd, that at +600 hours in, I'm still equipping things that I have no intention of using, for the sake of mastery, effectively locking myself out of one or two weapon slots for most of my gameplay.

It occurred to me a while back, that I'm going about it the wrong way, that taking things slowly and learning to use things in different ways can be a rewarding experience; But then why is it, that the most (time) effective way to level things up, is still to let everyone else do the work for you and basically be a drag on the group?

Maybe it's just an aspect of gameplay that requires you to make your own fun, and not rely on the most powerful frame and weapon builds out there.

So how do you personally deal with mastering warframes and weapons? What mindset do you bring with you?

This passive approach works:

1 new weapon/frame; 3 maxxed weapons/frame

3 of the 4 below should be maxxed; 1of the 4 to be leveled:

Frame and/or companion

Primary 

Secondary

Melee

Stealth loadouts for Affinity.

I'm only like MR 8 at the moment, and I'm alright with that. I don't do a whole lot that involves it in the first place, and since I got War from the bundle when it was on sale, I don't really have any weapons to aim for that have high requirements. I'll eventually level it up as I look for fun weapons to try out, but I don't really mind.

hit 12 so I can get them juicy syndy primaries,

then never actually care about it. Only mastery related focus was "hey I let's try to unlock all the (non-primed) warframes and try them out because they look like fun"

and pretty much all the mastery I've attained past that, was by accident.

When I found myself at MR 19 and realised I was pretty high up- that's when I decided "hey what weapons haven't I used" and then I started buying a ton of clan tech that I had never used and a bunch of dual weapons/weapons that build out of other weapons (that I never crafted). And then now I'm MR 21 past halfway to MR 22.

About half way through MR18.

Leveled a lot of stuff i'll never use again but found stuff I like using along the way. Just found out I get on quite well with the Hind.

I have leveled every single sentinel, most frames a lot of weapons, kubrows and kavats.

I own every single Archwing but i've only managed to force myself to level 2 of them. I've got the other 3 sat there, including Odanata Prime that took me weeks to get the parts for, but I can't face Archwing missions to level them.

I'm MR 22 now, but it took me around two years to get there.  I would carry one weapon or frame that I'm leveling while other stuff are fully leveled so I can deal with Stalkers and such.  I almost never bothered with xp farm except for leveling some exceptionally horrible weapons like Panthera.  I don't constantly leveling up new stuff because after a certain rank it's kind of pointless.  Gaining mastery rank as quickly as possible isn't my kind of fun.  I want to play the game properly to have fun.  I'm earning mastery just by doing normal missions so no need to push too hard to gain ranks because I know I will get there eventually and I'll have fun along the way.

I think it really depends on personal preference to be honest.  I leveled weapons I was very interested in slowly so I could see the mechanics and figure out how to use them with my play style.   Other weapons that weren't particularly interesting to me got leveled on Sechura when I was in a crazy Sechura cash farm phase.  If you really want to level them fast then just do popular defense/survival maps.  

Because I don't want to be a drag on the group, I usually level weapons in spy (with experience booster) so it's not like I really get a feel for them while levelling. I tell myself it doesn't matter because they need at least maximum mod capacity, if not a potato and some formas, to really shine, but I'm not sure. I used to not care about mastery at all at first. Then there were some weapons I didn't care about that were required for weapons I did care about. Why not level them before I craft them away, I thought. Then it was "just a couple thousand mastery more and I get another loadout slot!" and now I find myself going down the weapon list in alphabetical order. Admittedly it dulls the enjoyment a bit.

Back in mah days... I mean, back when I was climbing up the mastery ladder I just brught some new equipment with me to try it out while hunting for prime stuff. So basically, I was just constantly trying new things and leveled 'em up while working towards new things to try out and level up. I was at 21(then possible maximum) before I knew it. Hek, I was at 10, give or take, before I knew how the system works.

And now I'm just that shy of 23 the same way - trying out each new thing that's coming out while doing my daily whateveritisido.

I dont realy care about my mastery. To be honest i just grinded it to have weapons unlocked. After playing with friends and trying some weapon time to time, i realized i reached MR21. My reaction... meh

+ Benefits from having rank hinger than MR13 its pretty much pointless if you dont trade frequently.

6 hours ago, Smilomaniac said:

I usually only use one or two weapons per match anyway, so I just equip something and forget about it.

I only grind enough mastery to use a weapon I want. I was sitting at MR8 for the longest time, now I am MR 13.

My mastery lvl doesn't really go anywhere these days. I build a new weapon or frame every now and then, but I always come back to whatever works for me, which tends to be a weapon and frame I've already leveled and hence no mastery can be gained from it. Not to mention you need to spend plat to get new slots, and I suck at trading.