Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I dont get the riven mod prices

k05h

Question

I just browsed the trading post section of the forum out of curiosity. How do people come up with those prices for riven mods?

I have seen mods with only very few rerolls that get price tags of hundreds of plat. Some have 1k plat price tags. I mean 1k plat gives two rank 10 primed mods. Really, I do not get it. Do people really spent that much plat on a single mod for a single weapon? Do people even play other weapons when they spent that much plat on one weapon?

I geniunely do not understand how pricing works for rivens.

25 answers to this question

1 hour ago, k05h said:

I just browsed the trading post section of the forum out of curiosity. How do people come up with those prices for riven mods?

I have seen mods with only very few rerolls that get price tags of hundreds of plat. Some have 1k plat price tags. I mean 1k plat gives two rank 10 primed mods. Really, I do not get it. Do people really spent that much plat on a single mod for a single weapon? Do people even play other weapons when they spent that much plat on one weapon?

I geniunely do not understand how pricing works for rivens.

Prices of mods, especially unique owned mods are set by the seller, all prices are fair because it's what they think it's worth.

Every player has it's on definition of fair.

2 hours ago, JRMC said:

Depends on the stats of the mod. You're not expecting to buy a Riven with overpowered stats for a measly 50 :platinum:.

I can totally understand that. But 1k plat for one mod for one weapon ... for that price you could easily buy a Soma Prime set, Argon Scope, a potatoe, two packs of forma and still have some plat left for 10 noggles. 

Just now, k05h said:

I can totally understand that. But 1k plat for one mod for one weapon ... for that price you could easily buy a Soma Prime set, Argon Scope, a potatoe, two packs of forma and still have some plat left for 10 noggles. 

I understand where you're getting. People do tend to overprice things. Although a really good Riven can be more effective than everything combined but, unfortunately, it's a community driven marketplace. Take a look at Primed Chamber, for example. Decent Rivens pretty much make it obsolete at this point and it's still rocking ludicrous prices, solely because of it's exclusivity and collection value. Rivens are similar in a sense since it's layered with heavy tiers of RNG.

12 minutes ago, JRMC said:

it's a community driven marketplace. Take a look at Primed Chamber, for example. Decent Rivens pretty much make it obsolete at this point and it's still rocking ludicrous prices, solely because of it's exclusivity and collection value. Rivens are similar in a sense since it's layered with heavy tiers of RNG.

Exactly this point, and great example to boot.

I'm glad that OP asked this question as its something that I find has polarized the community especially on trade chat. I've experienced too much toxicity just from trying to trade rivens alone; this is on top of the fact that trade chat was already a cesspool to begin with. I'll try to consolidate my thoughts on riven pricing in this post:

Fairness of pricing

I've had less experienced players flat out challenge my pricing decisions when they can't even provide their evidence to justify their standpoints (or even provide correct facts); conversely, I've also seen MR23s advertise terrible rivens for inflated prices. What peeves me the most is that people often rely on their hunches, misinformed opinions, or personal spending power to gauge the value of a riven mod when they should be trying to get a better idea of the market first.

While I can understand some aspects and rationale as to why these groups of people may feel their own ways about rivens and the associated prices, the ubiquitous truth is that there is no way one can determine a "fair" price for a riven mod other than comparisons with others.

If two people happen to be lucky enough to get their hands on two godlike Soma mods with the exact same stats at the exact same time, and wish/urgently need to sell it immediately, they're going to be competing with each other to see who gets to sell his mod first, and may undercut each other to the point that they'll be selling for a much cheaper price than they would otherwise have gotten. Who's to say that the final price they settle on isn't a fair price either? At that specific point in time, it was pretty fair.

Supply and demand #1 - To meta or not to meta

Getting hold of any riven mod at this stage isn't hard. Since they dealt with the sortie reward tables, acquisition rates have been tremendously improved, evidenced by the amount of Riven Mods being thrown around on trade chat. For rifle and pistol rivens, prices stagnated at 60p, and even now the price is still decreasing. For shotgun mods, the prices are higher - given the current way disposition is organized, even the non-meta weapons can get pretty good rivens and hence a veiled shotgun mod is more than likely to give you something that can be used to great effect. (In any case, shotguns were always pretty good in this game, with less redundant "mastery fodder trash" as compared to rifles or secondaries.)

Getting hold of a riven for a specific weapon would cost a bit more, or can be acquired by trading. Naturally, the meta weapons are higher in price because everyone is driven towards improving the best that they have, creating a demand for such mods. This is where market forces influence the prices of the unveiled riven mods - the more popular the weapon, the higher the demand. Assuming that the probability of obtaining all weapons in each category (rifle, shotgun, secondary) is equal (this I don't know for sure), the supply for meta weapons would thus tend to be scarce compared to less popular weapons, and hence higher prices.

Supply and demand #2 - Is what I have any better than what I don't already have?

The next layer of RNG, which comes to rolling for stats on a mod, subjects it to even more influence from the community regarding pricing decisions. As far as modding is concerned, the one constant benchmark that all riven mods have are the normal mods (e.g. Serration, Hell's Chamber, 90% elementals). This is particularly challenging for rivens with extremely low dispositions - Tigris, Hek, Soma, Tonkor, Simulor (the precise values of their dispositions can be found on reddit via a quick google search).

Getting a roll that allows rivens for these weapons to outperform normal mods is subject to either a enormous amount of Kuva or blatant luck. I've been rolling a Tigris riven from scratch 34 times and I still haven't obtained anything that passes for better than a normal mod. [It's stuck at punchthrough + heat + electricity - flight speed right now. I got that on my 20th roll]. Thus, the mods that you see on trading avenues that are actually good (mind you, there are some that are just mislabelled as "oh so godly") will go for high, and the ones that aren't good are as good as worthless and should be rerolled. It's this make-or-break scenario that makes rolling meta rivens more difficult than others and hence a higher associated value to those that make the cut. 

A riven with much higher disposition can achieve utility much easier than these, making them easier to acquire by anyone who knows how to run a Kuva mission and has the time to spare for 6-7 rolls worth of Kuva. This makes their supply much more abundant and thus lower prices.

Who are rivens intended for?

With all that being said, bear in mind the intentions originally provided by the devs on why Riven mods were released. Avoiding the pessimistic side of things, riven mods were never intended for players who didn't already have access to a large portion of the arsenal. A MR8 player, while eligible for the lowest band of riven mods, but who's still struggling with acquiring enough platinum to fund slots and potatoes SHOULD NOT be looking to purchase a riven when there are much better alternatives for plat investment.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I stand by the fact that riven mods were meant to be "end-game", which, in Warframe, basically amounts to grinding for better equipment/gear. Since the existing "end-game" pre-Rivens wasn't an unattainable goalpost (maxed out mods, formaed Warframes) for most veteran players who've already invested at least 1k hours in the game, Riven mods gave these veterans a new target to reach. Evidently, not everyone liked it; but for those who did, they were willing to shell out their platinum supply and real time/money into getting upgrades for their favourite gear.

To sum up - this part of the post: rivens were never meant for everybody.

I hope I've been able to be clear enough on my opinions without being overly verbose about it.

traders are always gonna be like that. met a guy recently who wanted 600p for a Vectis Riven, and I imagine there's far worse out there. I've seen people willing to pay 700-800p and upwards for a Soma Riven, which I happen to have, but I'm keeping it for myself (for now, might get rid if I decide not to expand Riven capacity). it's pretty ridiculous.

Oh and if you're not happy with the prices for whatever reason, just don't buy it. No need for any rude talk or confrontational behaviour; if both parties are confident about their opinions they're not likely to budge. That being said, if you happen to find yourself in such a situation, make sure you at least have your facts right and a proper argument to back your opinions up, lest you make a fool out of yourself.

Nothing frustrates potential sellers more than not being able to get the prices that they want. If their patience runs dry, they'll be compelled to lower their prices accordingly.

Never and I mean NEVER buy rivens with premade stats. If anything spend 30-70p on an unrolled or low rolled riven for the weapon you desire and reroll until you like what you have. I have dont that for my 6 mods and all 6 of mine have fine stats. The prices for rivens are ridiculous.

I'm amazed I have yet to get or make a single godly riven mod. I'm maxed at 21 right now but I've went through about forty and many of them have been rolled ten to twelve times. I see them all the time in chat but there's no way I'm dropping a thousand plus platinum for a mod when this whole riven idea is still kinda new and subject to change.

Edited by RoninJed

Just now, -Voltage- said:

Never and I mean NEVER buy rivens with premade stats. If anything spend 30-70p on an unrolled or low rolled riven for the weapon you desire and reroll until you like what you have. I have dont that for my 6 mods and all 6 of mine have fine stats. The prices for rivens are ridiculous.

^ Great advice 

I do this, you may have to pay a bit more for a "decent" in demand Riven. Spend your plat on a resource booster, doubles your Kuva drops.  I try to get a roll that is fun enough to play with. Then try to god or top tier roll that sucker.  I've gotten a few gems and sold them for 500-600p ish. Rinse, repeat.  I'm sitting on 47 Rivens so far with plenty of plat.

Getting a fair price, and giving a fair for my stellar ones, once I get bored of them.

Just now, -Fe-McHamm3rShot said:

^ Great advice 

I do this, you may have to pay a bit more for a "decent" in demand Riven. Spend your plat on a resource booster, doubles your Kuva drops.  I try to get a roll that is fun enough to play with. Then try to god or top tier roll that sucker.  I've gotten a few gems and sold them for 500-600p ish. Rinse, repeat.  I'm sitting on 47 Rivens so far with plenty of plat.

Getting a fair price, and giving a fair for my stellar ones, once I get bored of them.

And see if you REALLY enjoy the weapon you are getting a riven for sometimes you pay extra. I spent 120p +  a nukor riven i just got from sorties and didn't want for a tetra mod which I am really enjoying on Prisma Tetra. (Dmg Multishot Toxin). Staying under 100p most of the time is usually the best decision.

9 minutes ago, -Voltage- said:

The problem is that unrolled or low rolled rivens for meta weapons aren't at 30-70p range; not right now at least.

Combine that with the fact that getting something good is going to take more than quite a number of rolls, with lower dispositions having a tendency to require more rolls.

Regarding "ridiculous" prices in your words, I could say the same about Warframe prices in the in-game market considering I can just grind to get most of them. It's a matter of perspective.

Edited by InsomnIaC.

25 minutes ago, InsomnIaC. said:

The problem is that unrolled or low rolled rivens for meta weapons aren't at 30-70p range; not right now at least.

Combine that with the fact that getting something good is going to take more than quite a number of rolls, with lower dispositions having a tendency to require more rolls.

Regarding "ridiculous" prices in your words, I could say the same about Warframe prices in the in-game market considering I can just grind to get most of them. It's a matter of perspective.

meta weapons are different. I should of clarified. I buy rivens for unused weapons. I don't use tonkor soma or the like. 

The number of rolls might vary, but the kuva is capped. I would rather grind than spend out the wazoo for a decent roll. 

Perspective is true. 

Why do people keep questioning a free market? It's truly a simple concept that balances itself.

I had someone offer me 600 for a vectis Riven without me even asking or trying to sell. It even had negative impact damage on an impact weapon (but really high crit and other stats), I thought it was a garbage mod. This player thought it was a deal at 600. I didn't question it. 

1k plat to you might be a drop in the bucket to someone else. They don't mind spending that drop on the exclusive chance to get the Riven they want. If Rivens stayed cheap then it would be hard to find extremely good ones. The market works. 

3 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

no one is supposed to get the mod prices. Their prices are RNG like their stats.

o.O

Their prices are dictated by players based on perceived value. I'm pretty certain that no one is running a background number generator and using that to pick how much their Riven costs.

I say ''pretty certain'', some of you are complete nutters, who knows what you base your prices on.

It depends. Usually rivens that match a weapon's traits for crit or status and have powerful damage stats like damage, multishot, and elemental go for a good amount. This also depends on how popular the weapon that they are for is, as well as any negative stats on the riven. For instance, a decent damage soma mod would go for more plat than an amazing mod for the deth laser rifle.

sounds like to me 60 - 80 plat would be a good low price for any veiled riven mods then when its open then they can sell it for more just for taking their time to unlock the message to see what the mod is really for but i seen one god mod go for 2000+ plat..... but if you think otherwise share your thoughts about this so we can see where we can get it right so no one is getting screwed over for plat but then again that is their choice if they wanna buy it for what they are selling them for... for now 

In short, riven prices depend on rolls they got and of weapon popularity. As a rule of thumb you could say that 1 favorable roll raises price by 100P on medium grade popularity weapon. Say you have quanta, detron, vulkar, atomos riven with flat damage +elemental damage roll, or multishot +elemental roll, you are looking at 200P here.

Now, every further favorable value raises price exponentially. Weapon popularity mans a lot, rivens for euphona, ferrox, hek, tigris, ignis, are 2-3x pr more expensive then the others. Rivens for tonkor, cernos, dread, aklex, soma, zarr, aksomati, ... few more are 2x more expensive. 

Clean triple damage roll usually means 250-500p depending on weapon popularity. Damage or status roll that fits the weapon type also raises price, for example status roll on shotguns is equally or more valued then damage roll. On most of other weapons it's "half point" instead of full value. Here are critaata rivens for crit weapons too (crit chance +crit damage). Generally clean damage, multishot, crit values and sometimes status are more valued then elemental or physical damage types. Satiatas are popular on non crit non status weapon (damage, multishot). Really good triple damage, popular riven of favorable damage types ca be priced around 1K plat or more. 

In short you could say that very good riven for medium-popular weapon is around 500p. 

Now we have "godlike" rivens, usually triple damage type +favorable (unimportant) negative, or really good double damage type +favorable negative (sometimes but rarely clean triple damage of especially favorable combination can be considered godlike) These rivens are usually in ballpark of 2K plat, but can be more or much more depending on weapon type. For popular shotgun, double damage, staus and managable negative is 2,5-5K plat easily.