The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unreasonable Weak Artax ( Taxon's Weapon)

Urska

I strongly disagree with the OP. This weapon was never meant to be very strong. This is the noobiest of the sentinels meant for the newest of the new players. The gun itself has good utility, which makes him good for defense. He is meant to be defensive. He isn't meant to be a strong offensive option. 

I disagree with him being nooby doesn't mean his gun should be weak. The gun is obviously meant to be weak. Don't see why that should change. It simply isn't supposed to be or intended to be anything beyond a weak gun for noobs. We should just accept that. That was clearly the point of this sentinel all along. They even told us to temper our expectations because it was created for newbies. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

I think it's cool, despite the status chance it has guaranteed cold procs, it's a CC weapon, which is honestly the only thing you should ever want your sentinel to have anyways. The fact it can't be 100% corrosive instead is a little sad, but understandable. 

The weapon is best used for utility and so far i found it is best to mod it that way as well, no serration/split chamber etc.

Atm im just using Shred, Speed Trigger, Fast Hands, Sinister Reach, Metal Auger, Eagle Eye

Just those 6 basic mods on the Artax fitted to Diriga lets this thing fire pretty quickly CC'ing with slows added to Diriga's normal CC, it ends up pretty good, not sure what to stick in my last 2 slots now ive abandoned the idea of damage tho.

2 minutes ago, DisasterIncarnate said:

The weapon is best used for utility and so far i found it is best to mod it that way as well, no serration/split chamber etc.

Atm im just using Shred, Speed Trigger, Fast Hands, Sinister Reach, Metal Auger, Eagle Eye

Just those 6 basic mods on the Artax fitted to Diriga lets this thing fire pretty quickly CC'ing with slows added to Diriga's normal CC, it ends up pretty good, not sure what to stick in my last 2 slots now ive abandoned the idea of damage tho.

Want my advice?  Toss on either an unranked Toxin or Heat damage mod.  Suddenly you're either halving health or knocking foes down.

1 minute ago, DisasterIncarnate said:

the certain cold proc does not mutate into viral etc, it remains a cold proc, only your actual damage type would turn to viral etc.

You get cold procs no matter what. You will also get other status effects during the beam attack. There's a reason it says "Status/Sec." That wouldn't be there if it could only ever proc cold (which it does 100% of the time, on top of any extra procs).

Just now, Chipputer said:

You get cold procs no matter what. You will also get other status effects during the beam attack. There's a reason it says "Status/Sec." That wouldn't be there if it could only ever proc cold (which it does 100% of the time, on top of any extra procs).

my beam rapidly pulses/attacks different targets rather than 1 several times over, im not sure theres enough time with such low status% to actually proc properly?  how often does yours proc normal status?

Just now, DisasterIncarnate said:

my beam rapidly pulses/attacks different targets rather than 1 several times over, im not sure theres enough time with such low status% to actually proc properly?  how often does yours proc normal status?

Enough that I notice it beaming and knocking enemies down (into a slow fall because of the cold procs).

You have two empty slots, anyway. A 60/60 status mod in there will do nothing but help you out, as it will both add another proc and also give you more chance to actually land a proc, to begin with.

1 minute ago, Chipputer said:

Enough that I notice it beaming and knocking enemies down (into a slow fall because of the cold procs).

You have two empty slots, anyway. A 60/60 status mod in there will do nothing but help you out, as it will both add another proc and also give you more chance to actually land a proc, to begin with.

ill give blast or viral a try then, see how it fairs, all for mor eutility....cheers for the heads up.

Artax is probably going to be my go-to sentinel weapon, the CC on it is by far the best of the Sentinel weapons. 

I don't really understand why you even care about damage on your sentinel anyway, none of them are very effective. Generally I use Vulklok with an electric status build, but this has felt so much more effective.  If you need your Sentinel to kill... well... you have other problems. 

Just now, DrBorris said:

If you need your Sentinel to kill... well... you have other problems.

It's not a need. It's just convenient to have my sentinel pick off some fodder for me while I focus on other things.

The one thing that the Artax cannot do is attack an enemy, then change targets because it's dead. In any content that actually matters (read: not tryhard endless mode) I can count on my Deconstructor or my Pocket Lanka (aka crit/gas vulklok) to kill enemies that I may not be directly focused on while also offering CC in the form of blast or electric procs or both.

Utility is great, but so is balancing that one utility with other things, like dealing an appreciable amount of damage.

On 10.2.2017 at 2:52 AM, bluepheonix13 said:

It has great utility with its cold procs though and that's what it is supposed to do: be a defensive sentinel. Also, for enemy levels that beginners play (Earth - Mercury), the damage is enough. 

"The damage is enough"... maybe if you have endgame mods. Try using it with barely any mods at all like a newbie would have to do.

As it is a new player sentinel/weapon its fine for that, but id like it to be Taxon/Artax MK1 and be upgradable(with higher level resources etc) into a non MK1 version that is stronger and on par with other sentinels.

That way it fulfils both a new player weapon and something more later on instead of just mastery.

It doesn't have to be a huge buff of course, not asking it to be OP, but just a slight tweak would be nice. Just so it does have a viable option to play.

For it's target enemy levels it actually works pretty well imo.  The problem, in a way with all sentinels, is about scaling for higher levels and it does fall off as you go higher up.

Having used it for a while as well I kind of feel it should have had more of a 'slow down' aura than a freeze ray too because it just doesn't freeze them quick enough so it basically ends up leaving loads of enemies able to fire at you....

6 minutes ago, Styliaan said:

As it is a new player sentinel/weapon its fine for that, but id like it to be Taxon/Artax MK1 and be upgradable(with higher level resources etc) into a non MK1 version that is stronger and on par with other sentinels.

They will likely release a taxon prime at some point, in a way they're running out of things to prime so sentinels seem like the next thing they could 'prime'.  Not saying it will be any time soon though.

Edited by LSG501

I'm more amused by the fact that taxon itself is almost a flat upgrade to dethcube. Exact same stats, but its special ability does a very similar DPS (17 vs. 20) and recharges your shields at the same time.

But yes. I would like the artax to be stronger, but I also recognise that it's meant to be a starter sentinel. Here's hoping for taxon prime in the future, because beam weapons are cool when I don't have to care about their horrible ammo economy or damage mechanics.

Must agree - it is a weak weapon even for beginners.

I slapped Split Chamber, Heavy Caliber and Serration on it - mods beginners certainly wont have or have them maxed.
And it failed killing lvl 12 corpus crewmen.
The fire rate was rather low to be any use as a cold proc weapon.

For beginners it would provide no benefits on venus - enemies are too strong by then.

It needs increased base fire rate or damage with lowered reload. Also fix for the continuous fire - for a clip of 100, it stops attacking way too often.

The purpose of this sentinel is to provide some little help to beginners, primarly by refilling their shields, and secondarly by slowing down one enemy. 
And in DE words, it's mainly here to bring an introduction to the pet system. They were nice enough to give it a weapon, which they could have not done in the first place.

What you tend to forget is following : 

Until now, at the exact same moment in game progression, newbies didn't have any pet alongside them (barring the random HL pub rushers who enjoy being looked at like "whoaa" by new players). 

This alone makes all the purpose and the reasonability of this sentinel and weapon. However, if you give beginners a stronger sentinel which starts to kill before them, I'm pretty sure they will become mediocre soldiers.

As someone else said, what we need is a prisma or prime counterpart to this sentinel, which would be well suited for high levels. What beginners need is right here and, for once, was totally meant to be a mastery fodder in high level player's eyes.

Also, I think people forget that if you really don't care for the Artax, but you like the shield restoring precept and look of Taxon, you can always switch out his weapon for like, the Sweeper, or the Vulklok or something. 

The only limitation in terms of being able to swap out sentinel weapons is that Helios is the only sentinel that can use Deconstructor (the melee/glaive-esque weapon). 

It is supposed to be a nubby weapon for a class of thing that already has pretty weak weapons in comparison to ours. But you don't have to stick with the Artax if you don't like it. 

And as the person above me said, we may indeed get an upgraded version at some point down the road (I would almost count on it eventually happening). Right now though, the point was to give a great sentinel to help newer players, and I think this sentinel and its weapon do that job beautifully. Too many of you are still looking at this from a veteran's perspective. You can use this sentinel and modify how you wish, but it wasn't made for you the veterans -- it was made to be a starter sentinel to be easy to build, introduce new players to the companion system and give them a quick leg up. 

Making the weapon much stronger, as some have said, would give too much of a chance of creating a situation where the sentinel is out-dpsing the newbie. And that defeats the whole purpose here of helping train the newbie to get better at killing and surviving. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

3 hours ago, Ketec said:

I slapped Split Chamber, Heavy Caliber and Serration on it

It's a beam weapon. It barely benefits from Split Chamber.

You want to build up its status with super high fire rate and status chance. You need to build it to its strengths, not just slap on a cookie cutter rifle build. It seems that people are forgetting that simple concept.

4 hours ago, TheChaotic1 said:

I'd like it to prioritize more dangerous targets or something. Maybe a cephalon suda augment or something? CC a charger? Lame. CC a Juggernaut? Less lame.

Honestly this would be useful for literally every companion in the game. The issue, I think, is how to properly set that up in a game with hundreds of enemies that flop in and out of range constantly.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:43 PM, FierceRadiance said:

Urska......never mind.

Why don't you go ahead and mute me, too. That works for me.

their really isnt alot of them ( and only 1 sentinel weapon). i only mute people that go on child rage mode on me XD ( or unreasonable rageful at me for no real reason )

On 2/9/2017 at 10:08 PM, Chipputer said:

No sentinel weapons are, though. They all focus fire on one enemy at a time. If you want more CC than just freezing one enemy then use Wyrm or Djinn.

You're asking for a buff without understanding the point of the weapon and downplaying exactly how useful it is. Slap Viral/Rad or Viral/Heat on this gun and you have a weapon that automatically slows down enemies with cold procs and has a chance to confuse, halve health, or stun with burning.

But I forgot. This is Warframe. Lower numbers = bad no matter what.

i know more then your leading on Lol. already kinda broke the weapon, can get it to go though a stupid amount of mob (15+). i will say i am already pretty salted about Sentinels over all due to underpowered they are as a whole, they simply to easy to kill at high content, making them almost pointless.... hope they V2 them and all Lol. already did a topic about this months ago. and i was told to take off the weapon so it wouldnt get attacked...XD just lol. A fire wave would just 1 shot it, soo... :/ have to put 3 mods in just to keep it up (hp,shield and armor) feels so wasteful... cat/dogs dont need 3, frames can do fine with just 2... :/ if they just power off and can turn it back on, instead of it just dieing ( and yes, regen mod..) be puting them at a much better place...

did alot of testing since i posted this and tbh if a prime deathcube ever happens... epic dmg ( for a sentinel)

Edited by Urska