Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opticor and it's needed adjustments

(XBOX)Requiem of One

Now I love this weapon, I love it dearly. It is easily in my top 5 favor it weapons. Unfortunately, despite my love for it, it needs some adjustments.

First off, this weapon is a laser cannon. A CANNON. That alone, should give the idea that this weapon is fairly powerful. Despite this, the weapon has zero punch through. Why is that? I can charge up my Miter (another in my top 5 favorite) and punch through enemies like holes in swiss cheese. However, when fully charged, my Opticor maybe, if I'm lucky enough to have the enemies close enough together, will it kill the enemy behind them but only like one. Again if I'm lucky, I might get 2 enemies behind the initial target but only if they are really close together. So punch through is need for this weapon, especially at full charge.

It's firing mode. Since the added toggle firing, this weapon would be a nice candidate for it as well. Charging it up and firing instantly at full charge at times mess me up because of timing. Yeah it's my fault at times because of timing and yet it would be more usefully if I could choose when to fire.

Hitbox. Oh dear god, the hitbox on this weapon is ..............-sigh- for a nicer term of words, finicky. For example, I can aim at an enemy's chest, charge up and fire. It kills them. I look at the next guy, quickly charge up and I'm still aiming at the chest region but I'm maybe a single centimeter off but that shouldn't matter right? Charge up and...missed. Yeah, that's right, missed. The torso of an enemy which is a decently large part and I missed. How? How can I miss? The particle effects of the weapon put everything off. The size of the weapons hitbox, I'm guessing, is as small as a pea. Not to mention this weapon's "blast radius" which it has virtually none, even with the mod Firestorm on. With this said, the hitbox needs to be fairly larger along with having an actual radius for splash damage. If you need a reference to how large, I would say as large as a laser CANNON should be, based on the size of the barrel of the weapon.

Like I said, I love this weapon, I really do but it needs some well needed love for the Dev team for a proper adjustment.

I'd like to see the charge go to a base of 2.00 from 2.5 and DPS go from 1.00 to 2.00. And I'd happily give up the small AoE with any changes.

With a mix of RoF mods and/or a Riven, that helps it a bit. And it currently is actually firing a projectile, so you actually can't rely on where the Laser is pointing.

Possibly ether the weapon can be made Hit-Scan or speed up the projectile more.

Oh, ye ol' Opticor.

My first love and my last love. The closest to have come close to you is the Zarr (alt-mode).

Yes - it needs punchrough being a cannon

Please - rework it for an alt-mode that drain the entire cartridge to make it interact like idk an actual CANNON. (i.e. Drain all 5 available ammo and exude ze laser beam)

https://giphy.com/gifs/capcom-yBKMPJSHO80iA (how do you post .gif?)

giphy.gif

Edited by (PS4)A_SimpleName
YAY!!!!

22 minutes ago, Xiusa said:

The only change I want to see for it is that the ammo capacity gets knocked down to like 20

More like 70. Or boost mag cap to 25 and make each shot cost 5 ammo.

26 minutes ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

And it currently is actually firing a projectile, so you actually can't rely on where the Laser is pointing.

The laser pointer is a projectile akin to continous weapon shot. It does exacly 0. You dont use it to point at enemies. You use your reticle to do so. In that sense its hitscan.

Edited by Xardis

Before this thread gets any more derailed...

Yeah I've been wanting all of these adjustments for a while. I REALLY want to like this weapon. I really do. It's a LASER CANNON. How cool is that? :clem:  ...But the finicky charge-fire mechanic, tiny hitbox and lack of PC has always rendered it obsolete in comparison to other single-target heavy damage weapons like, say, the Lanka, or even a regular old Hitscan sniper like the Vectis. It just doesn't feel good to play with this thing.

Edited by Jackviator

Really quick, to the people posting and talking about the crap gif, do it else where because nobody cares here. This topic is about people who agree in the idea of the Opticor getting adjusted. I mean, even though it's not considered a "top-tier" or "end game" weapon, it can easily wreck a fool in a one on one kind situation. Not only that, it's a kind of satisfaction knowing that (with the way I modded mine) I can take down a capture target so hard, that the damage exceeds what the game can give and makes their body actually do the ragdoll death and you need to pick them up away from where the body is. It's not too far way though, you still get the prompt to capture.

For something that's laser accurate, a cannon and 100 accuracy, it has VERY little crit chance. How does a bow and arrow hit more critical spots than a friggin laser cannon? Now I'm not normally a fan of making weapons good simply by increasing crit chance, but in this case, I can make an exception to my personal belief, because this weapon needs crit. It is slow and cumbersome with the awkward charge mechanics, the least it can have is deal boatloads of damage. Hell, the Sancti Tigris/Tigris Prime, a double barrel shotgun deals more base damage than this cannon and it also has super status and slash. Now I know that's different, but I hope you understand what I mean. The Opticor needs to deal some buttloads of damage.

Just now, ..-Hayden-Tenno-.. said:

get a nice riven for it, opticor is amazing and outdamages most guns in the game.... 

It's almost unanimously agreed that despite rivens being made for lower tier weapons to perform better, it doesn't effectively do that, nor is it needed. Just because a few people have an Opticor that performs at the level it should doesn't mean the weapon is fine, because not only do most people not get that, but most of the times, it's really hard just to get a good riven, that it's just better to move on to a better weapon. Similar weapons like a good bow or the lanka perform similarly and deal more damage even with a good riven. 

Above all else, I'd rather see something more drastic like removing the entire charge mechanic and decreasing fire rate to compensate. This still keeps it as a slow-firing weapon, but would allow for a faster reaction time and remove all the other massive flaws of charge weapons.

Edited by Mattoropael

On 25.2.2017 at 7:08 AM, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

It's almost unanimously agreed that despite rivens being made for lower tier weapons to perform better, it doesn't effectively do that, nor is it needed. Just because a few people have an Opticor that performs at the level it should doesn't mean the weapon is fine, because not only do most people not get that, but most of the times, it's really hard just to get a good riven, that it's just better to move on to a better weapon. Similar weapons like a good bow or the lanka perform similarly and deal more damage even with a good riven. 

thats why we have riven dispositions. opticor has a strong disposition, bows got faint, except the paris prime wich has neutral like lanka.

and rivens? u can get uncycled rivens for most guns for a few platinum, do sorties, sell or trade your uncycled / veiled riven for opticor riven, its not that hard to find a seller for these. and if u put some work into it u can have nice rolls, sure getting a perfect roll is not very likely but a buff to charge time and pure damage/multishot will be totally fine for it.

and no... theres no bow in this game that performs even close to what an opticor is capable of, remember that its still one of the hardest hitting weapons we got. and lanka only beats it when u make use of the extra crit multipliers on headshot + extra crit chance from the zoom. the reason why nobody uses opticor is because its lacking punch through and they dont like the charge mechanic. 

maybe we get an opticor wraith version wich comes with lower charge time and hopefully an innate punch through, but till that happens i will stick to my beloved opticor.

Edited by ..-Hayden-Tenno-..

I'm confused about how people have accuracy issues with this gun. It has, as far as I can tell, infinite range, is pretty much hitscan, and has pinpoint accuracy. Maybe people are looking at where the laser looks like it going instead of using the reticle? I made that mistake a few times when I first picked up this weapon. IMO I would be sad if they changed anything on this weapon (except giving it punch through, don't know why a giant laser cannon doesn't have that as everyone else has said) I love it how it is.

1 hour ago, WillOfIron said:

I'm confused about how people have accuracy issues with this gun. It has, as far as I can tell, infinite range, is pretty much hitscan, and has pinpoint accuracy. Maybe people are looking at where the laser looks like it going instead of using the reticle? I made that mistake a few times when I first picked up this weapon. IMO I would be sad if they changed anything on this weapon (except giving it punch through, don't know why a giant laser cannon doesn't have that as everyone else has said) I love it how it is.

All I think it needs is increased crit chance and punch through. I guess the reason why they don't want innate punch through is because it will make the aoesplash almost guaranteed to happen, but I don't see that as a reason to restrict the punch through, I think it should do that anyways.

as ever - asking to have Mods be made innate to the Weapon doesn't increase choices or interest in the game. just asking for free stat increases everywhere.

much better off with adjusting the Ray Trace nature of the Weapon (it's Ray Trace. fullstop.) to fire a beam with 'width' rather than a single Ray point. which means you could clip the shoulders of a bunch of people and hit all of them with a different part of the beam. Multi-hit capability that isn't something a Mod already does.
instead giving control over whether to spread out the Damage across many targets or to shoot into just one. but with Punch-Through still retaining the same value as it does on most Weapons.

while i wouldn't be against shaving like 100ms off the Charge Time, it's very important that it is there, and exists for a very good reason... the 99.100% of Players that use Speed Mods are doing exactly as planned - opting towards some non Damage Mods to reduce how powerful the Weapon ends up being. and yet, even with two Speed Mods on it, it still is about identical in Damage per Shot as Bows.

On 2/24/2017 at 8:34 PM, (Xbox One)Requiem of One said:

even though it's not considered a "top-tier" or "end game" weapon

it's quite competitive with plenty of Weapons that are - and it is considered in those Categories by actually experienced Veteran Players, ones that really know their stuff about the numbers.

7 hours ago, taiiat said:

as ever - asking to have Mods be made innate to the Weapon doesn't increase choices or interest in the game. just asking for free stat increases everywhere.

much better off with adjusting the Ray Trace nature of the Weapon (it's Ray Trace. fullstop.) to fire a beam with 'width' rather than a single Ray point. which means you could clip the shoulders of a bunch of people and hit all of them with a different part of the beam. Multi-hit capability that isn't something a Mod already does.
instead giving control over whether to spread out the Damage across many targets or to shoot into just one. but with Punch-Through still retaining the same value as it does on most Weapons.

while i wouldn't be against shaving like 100ms off the Charge Time, it's very important that it is there, and exists for a very good reason... the 99.100% of Players that use Speed Mods are doing exactly as planned - opting towards some non Damage Mods to reduce how powerful the Weapon ends up being. and yet, even with two Speed Mods on it, it still is about identical in Damage per Shot as Bows.

it's quite competitive with plenty of Weapons that are - and it is considered in those Categories by actually experienced Veteran Players, ones that really know their stuff about the numbers.

Competes in damage,  agreed. But with the shadow debt crit mods and headshot crit multiplier, crit weapons like lanka and bow pull ahead with more consistency and playstyle mechanics, not to mention the charge mechanics of the Opticor is pretty primeval compared to the other charge type weapons. I would actually increase the charge time by like .5 seconds if need be and double the crit chance as compensation so to get that heavy feeling. Also, for a laser cannon, it has quite a weak firing animation, so I'd touch that up too, but those are secondary concerns, performance being a primary concern

9 hours ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

Competes in damage,  agreed. But with the shadow debt crit mods and headshot crit multiplier, crit weapons like lanka and bow pull ahead with more consistency and playstyle mechanics, not to mention the charge mechanics of the Opticor is pretty primeval compared to the other charge type weapons. I would actually increase the charge time by like .5 seconds if need be and double the crit chance as compensation so to get that heavy feeling. Also, for a laser cannon, it has quite a weak firing animation, so I'd touch that up too, but those are secondary concerns, performance being a primary concern

Opticor doesn't need Crits - it competes with the Spike Damage Weapons without Critting at all.
making it Crit reliant would be a regression to a big part of what sets Opticor apart from other Spike Damage Weapons.

"but it only deals the same Damage as Bows without worrying about if it Crits or not!" yeah, okay.
Bows and Lanka are more consistent than Opticor? guaranteed Crits vs never needing Crits.... both are consistent.

if all you have to complain about is it isn't a Crit reliant Weapon - i don't see any complaints at all. not being able to hold your Charges makes Players actually use both partial and full Charges, working as intended.

Edited by taiiat