Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Delux Skins and their future" discussion

Angelid

I noticed that a lot of love has come to the deluxe skins recently, that the concepts are getting better and better, and the ideas behind them are getting more and more extreme.

As we get to the concepts of Chroma and Zephyr, I can't help but notice that these two, along with the recent release of the frost deluxe skin, has made me find that the older skins seem to have a bit of lackluster to them.

Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful skins, the Saryn being the best of the early generation of them.

But the fact that Nova has, and now Chroma and Zephyr might have, a change to some ability particles and effects, makes me feel like some are better quality than others. Maybe that's the idea. But here's what I am getting at.

Excaliburs and Valkyr are both 150 Platinum on PC. Valkyr has added effects on her back, Excal does not.

Ash, Banshee, Frost, Loki, Oberon, Saryn, Nova, Rhino, Trinity all are 165 Platinum. The best of these, I feel, are Frost (the textures are marvelous) Saryn (the color gradients are wonderful to mess around with) and Nova (who as additional particles to her on ability cast). I especially love the frost's sword pack skin, and the saryn dual blade skin.

Then there's the Nyx skin, at a whopping 200 Platinum. IMO, she is by far the worst of the lot. She has a flat, metallic texture on a lot of the skin that is uncolorable (Frost and Rhino both have large areas of metal that can be colored), and the helmet just doesn't meet the expecation that I have come to see from the Devs on the deluxe skins, especially because Nyx's is far over priced compared to the much nicer ones.

This is mostly an opinion. I think at the very least, Nyx's skin needs a little TLC from the devs to bring it up to expectation. I wouldn't mind seeing that on some of the older skins too, namely excal (uncolorable grey would be slightly nicer if it were a matte texture instead of a shiny robber looking thing), and Trin and Banshee's both could use a little bit of some lines of decor to give them a little more color in terms of their accent color. Also, the Opulas robe with Saryn's deluxe kinda messes with her skirt a bit... >->

This is mostly opinion, but at LEAST can I get a comment or two about the state of the Nyx skin? Thanks. o/

Nyx and Excaliburs skins were based on Nemesis and Hayden Tenno from Dark sector.

The only thing about Deluxe skins I dislike are these:

Saryns giant flower, it would be IDEAL if this was an armour piece so we could choose to have this or not, similar to Banshee's deluxe.

Also how Nova's isn't futuristic-esque, I definately could see Nova having a future-like deluxe skin to go along with her theme and her design in general.

But hey, who knows, we might not just get one Deluxe for each character, we may get more than one.

4 minutes ago, Latiac said:

Nyx and Excaliburs skins were based on Nemesis and Hayden Tenno from Dark sector.

The only thing about Deluxe skins I dislike are these:

Saryns giant flower, it would be IDEAL if this was an armour piece so we could choose to have this or not, similar to Banshee's deluxe.

Also how Nova's isn't futuristic-esque, I definately could see Nova having a future-like deluxe skin to go along with her theme and her design in general.

But hey, who knows, we might not just get one Deluxe for each character, we may get more than one.

This ^

my main concern is that the guy who made most of our skins has stopped doing so(he designed every skin except saryn, excal, valkyr, nova, nyx and chroma. the planned ones like ember, mag etc was his designs). i do not like most of these skins that arent made by him. in fact i only really like saryn. chroma looked like it needed serious texture changes. if this is the average we should expect for our future skins, i'll prolly not get most of them.

I really like Nyx's deluxe. I use it with the Prime helmet. The only thing I don't like is the stupid tail thing in the back which makes wearing most syndanas not possible. I honestly feel that the plat costs are fine. The only thing I'd like is the ability to upgrade to the bundle if I bought the base skin.

Can be, but zephyr is an original design of a game weapons designer.

The design of chroma deluxe is the same for me, although I think the textures and colors make it look different.

Edited by nnexenn

A deluxe should be a remodel, a twist on the old that we haven't seen before.

They are all different,  some very close to the original like Loki and wip Mag. Others like Oberon and Nova look allmost too unique, but therin lies our choices.

Ignus had a fantasy, ornate design language. The new ones serm more traditonally Tenno.

If Nekros had two skins,  one by Ignus and one by others, I think one would be more mythological and the other more cybernetic.

Deluxes are extra though and a really cool addition by DE.

A deluxe can be anything but it is amazing when it is another model that we have not seen yet attached to the lore and history that is constantly being made up.

I love the fact that KNAVE LOKI, FREYACH OBE, and SARYN are actually different Warframes than the ones we have. I look forward to the day that we find the others and have to battle through them as well. This gives credence to the idea that there are many other Frames out there besides just Prime and Mass Reproduced versions.

Timeline....we needs timeline to be able to place all the skins into the game.

On 19/03/2017 at 4:51 AM, Latiac said:

Not just based, this meshes and textures have been ported with only minimal modification in stretching and adding "hip bumps" for secondary weapons.

The reason there is minimal colour in those skins is that the textures were not designed to be tintable and DE didn't do much to them when adding the colour masks.

On 3/18/2017 at 10:23 PM, Zeclem said:

my main concern is that the guy who made most of our skins has stopped doing so(he designed every skin except saryn, excal, valkyr, nova, nyx and chroma. the planned ones like ember, mag etc was his designs). i do not like most of these skins that arent made by him. in fact i only really like saryn. chroma looked like it needed serious texture changes. if this is the average we should expect for our future skins, i'll prolly not get most of them.

14 hours ago, SilentMobius said:

Not just based, this meshes and textures have been ported with only minimal modification in stretching and adding "hip bumps" for secondary weapons.

The reason there is minimal colour in those skins is that the textures were not designed to be tintable and DE didn't do much to them when adding the colour masks.

@Zeclem I understand there were different people doing the skins. I am aware that the one who originally started this may not be having opinions on the newer stuff.

@SilentMobius, @Latiac I know where those models and textures came from. While I never played Dark sector, I understand and respect the idea behind them and their legacy. What I don't understand was the fact I can't color the major portions of those textures. I can understand why, but... It makes at least the Nyx skin both very limiting and very basic to look at. My point on that particular one is that it shouldn't be 200 plat.

14 hours ago, SilentMobius said:

the textures were not designed to be tintable and DE didn't do much to them when adding the colour masks

But they could. Why is Nyx's skin 200 pt then, and the rest, (much better looking ones) with far more work in them, less than that?

14 hours ago, (Xbox One)DShinShoryuken said:

I love the fact that KNAVE LOKI, FREYACH OBE, and SARYN are actually different Warframes than the ones we have.

They are beautiful skins! I love almost all of them, Warframe is by far one of the games I support the most.I even spent the full 140 for trinity Prime when she came out (I am a trin main :P) 

I am not saying that any of these skins are bad or good.... other than Nyx. I feel she needs to be looked at again and be given an overall polish, and that would make her worth the full 200PT pricetag. I don't get where they are pulling the numbers from.... perhaps just because they were originally released like that? I dunno, but if anything Nova, Saryn, and what looks to be soon Chroma and Zephyr I'd pay 200 Pt easy for. Thankfully the previous two werent... we will see when the next two come. While Knave wasn't my favorite, I still believe it's a beautiful skin.

15 hours ago, arch111 said:

A deluxe should be a remodel, a twist on the old that we haven't seen before.

I agree, and while we have seen some beautiful deluxe skins... Maybe a re-categorization of both Nyx and Excalibur should be the question I am asking. Should we re-catagorize these two? It would open them for future deluxe skin opportunities.

19 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Zephyr deluxe. Yeah. IF it comes out ;-;

It will eventually, I heard DE wanted to do one eventually for each Warframe from a friend of mine that follows the DEV streams.

On 3/18/2017 at 10:26 PM, CherryPauper said:

Digitally?

Both digitally, and conceptually. Extreme in a good way. :)

18 hours ago, Volinus7 said:

FYI not all skin concepts came from the same person. 

Also

Yeah I know about this. I still believe that DE wants Deluxe skins for all the warframes.

On 3/18/2017 at 11:11 PM, ArchPhaeton said:

Uncolorable skin parts are never fun. No idea why they always push some of that on us. Even with the DS skin references, I see no harm in letting us tint all parts, after spending dat plat on color palettes.

This is exactly why I bring up the pricing issue for both the two DS skins. Refer to the idea of re-catagorization above. :)

On 3/18/2017 at 10:29 PM, CherryPauper said:

I really like Nyx's deluxe. I use it with the Prime helmet. The only thing I don't like is the stupid tail thing in the back which makes wearing most syndanas not possible. I honestly feel that the plat costs are fine. The only thing I'd like is the ability to upgrade to the bundle if I bought the base skin.

I really feel for this. It would be nice to buy bundles at reduced prices if you already have something in them. I, fortunately, have bought the bundles for each, every time they were available. I love DE, I think they are wonderful developers.

My issues with Nyx's Deluxe aren't that I don't care for the model or anything, but color is something that irks me. If I can't get it to look nice, I'm bound not to use it-- I nearly dropped my main, Trinity, before they finally gave us the Prime.... Gosh her Gammas were screwed up before the visual passes. Lol. Though I finally got Nyx prime.. I don't plan to use the skin anytime soon until something happens.

On 3/18/2017 at 10:36 PM, Evanescent said:

What excalibur proto skin needs is some dangin' PBR!

And perhaps a unique  energy effect. Maybe they can make exalted blade look like an infested arm blade, eh?

YES.

On 3/18/2017 at 9:51 PM, Latiac said:

I would agree about Saryn's flower. xD As far as Nova goes though, they took another direction with it. I think it was a reference to the culture of Hinduism, but don't quote me on that. I honestly like it, even if it doesn't quite fit the asthetic of Warframe over all.

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)HenCeption said:

what is PBR

Texturing that makes stuff look more realistic, the stuff that makes your metal look like metal and wood look like wood, and stops your warframes looking like melted plastic mocels when coloured.

11 hours ago, Angelid said:

But they could. Why is Nyx's skin 200 pt then, and the rest, (much better looking ones) with far more work in them, less than that?

Yes they could and it has been discussed by DE in the context of PBR.

As to the price, I'm afraid you have it the other way around. The Dark Sector ports came first and DE set the price for them, subsequent delux "skins" matched the price point for the DS ports, in that context you are getting better looking mesh-swaps for the same price as the DS ports.

The things I mainly want them the change regarding the deluxe skins are that they add a third item to the new bundles.

The Ash and Frost deluxe bundles only come with the warframe and a weapon skin, while the rest were warframe skin + weapon skin + something else (varies), making the weapon skins cost an additional 50p, which wasn't worth it for most people.

They should add the glyph of them or something to their bundles imo.

Well the OP isn't wrong. But that's just how things go. The budgets, skills and talent of the studio has moved on considerably in their art dep. It didn't suck to begin with but they definitely evolved over time mostly for the better.

It's the same with older WFs and old prime. Both look pretty plain and dated when compared to more recent counterparts. Look at the original 8 compared all the later basic frames. Mag or frost Prime compared to Banshee prime. Original braton to updated.