Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon Revisited: Prime Time Surprise and Next Steps!

[DE]Megan

2 hours ago, MarrikBroom said:

DINGDINGDING

Splitting damage from the main orb's 'scaling' between secondary orbs means the more orbs you have the less each does and the more worthless they are since they don't have any secondary effects outside of radiation.

That makes sense, explains why the orbs don't do that much, sorta hoped they would do the percentage of damage each so they could actually threaten enemies but if that is what is happening it makes perfect sense why the wisps do so little.

I really hope DE reads this. Oberon is my favorite warframe and my main, he is good and so are his abilities, they're just not quite there yet. I really tried to think of ways to fix and/or strengthen him with what is currently available and without changing him too much. 

1.) Smite - Great as is.

Smite I feel is great, I always thought it was a good 1 and the scaling recently implemented makes it that much better.

2.) Hallowed Ground - Add damage reduction % and change it to an aura. Damage reduction given to allies when used with Renewal.

As for Hallowed Ground I feel it should be an aura that follows him, I think of like Octavia's Mallet in terms of size and how it would work, except it radiates from Oberon not the mallet of course. I think it could work the same as it does now, you cast it for whatever energy it costs and the aura simply lasts for whatever the duration is. It would fix having to basically camp one little area, if it was an aura you could still move around freely which honestly I feel is one of the main problems with it right now. I also feel that the armor buff that it gives in conjunction with Renewal is far too weak. 250-400ish armor while better than nothing is honestly nothing especially in higher levels, I think it should be changed to a damage reduction % like maybe 50% base which can be increased with power strength, or something along those lines. For allies the HG aura emits a pulse with the same range as whatever Renewals wave is now, that applies the damage reduction % buff on allies. For the status removal and knockdown allies would have to be within the aura. Or at the very least give a significant buff to the amount of armor the current system gives.

3.) Renewal - Allow for energy regeneration from abilities and/or reduce energy drain.

Overall I quite like the direction taken with Renewal, I've already become quite accustomed to having the steady regen I just think it needs to be more economical energy-wise. I would agree with many that feel that the energy consumption on Oberon right now is definitely an issue, even with max efficiency, primed flow, and rage you can run dry quickly. I would propose allowing energy restores like EV and Zenurik Energy Overflow etc work while Renewal is up. I agree that it should have some drain but I mean Valkyr has a similar drain but she is invincible during that time, and the regen and slight armor buff if used with HG hardly makes Oberon or his team mates invincible so I feel an ability that does less should carry less of a burden. So there needs to be some way to still be able to use your other abilities and play normally with having Renewal up without having to basically have a max efficiency and constantly take damage from Rage to be able to maintain it. 

4.) Reckoning - Reduced energy cost, increase effectiveness of armor reduction.

I feel that Reckoning is actually pretty good where it is, however as far as the armor reduction that was added goes, to be blunt it just needs to be better. For an ability that costs 100 energy on a frame that can get a little over 400 energy max to need to cast an ability over 6 times to be able to strip armor is just silly. Instead of radiated enemies taking that bonus damage why not make it strip a larger portion of their armor. If the armor can't be stripped within like 1 or 2 casts it's really not even worth it to have. Also if the damage scaling that was implemented into Smite to make the damage better on higher lvl enemies could be implemented on Reckoning, well that would just be lovely.

So in summary I propose to leave Smite as is. Remove the armor buff from Renewal, keep the regen effect the way it is with more economical energy costs, and add a damage reduction % to HG which would be changed to an aura that follows Oberon around. The damage reduction buff could be refreshed on allies by using the Renewal wave like it is now just swap the armor buff for damage reduction. However if teammates wanted the knockdown immunity or status removal they would need to be in the aura. I'd like to get away from the hobbled feel HG has now. HG would be cast and cost the same as now with the damage reduction being on HG's timer. This would create synergy in the way that you'd have good reason to cast HG and renewal and to keep them up, while using Smite and Reckoning for moderate damage and crowd control, and as stated above make the armor reduction on Reckoning stronger as the amount of casts needed to remove armor costs more energy than Oberon is even capable of having, and using all your energy to strip armor one time, while also losing the effects of all other abilities, is just worthless and even detrimental. Lastly I would propose more economical energy costs or leniency on how energy can be restored while Renewal is up and possibly even increasing his energy pool.

If any of this sounds like it would make Oberon too strong just keep in mind, which I'm sure you're already well aware, frames like Trinity, Rhino, Valkyr, Octavia, Mesa, Nidus and many others. Frames that can get almost complete damage reduction, ignore effects and knockdowns, heal vast amounts of health and energy, buff allies, do large amounts of damage, and a high level of crowd control etc. All of these frames do what I'm purposing Oberon be able to do, much better than what I'm suggesting for Oberon, but what will be nice is that Oberon can do it all, maybe not the best or as focused as one of the aforementioned, but good enough that people consider him an asset, which sadly that is not the level he is currently at, which is of course common knowledge and agreed upon by many hence the revisit taking place. However I do enjoy his playstyle and feel he's not far off from where he should be. I feel these changed would make Oberon actually good, and he would actually fulfill his role as a sort of offensive support or as many say Jack of all Trades. Good CC and adding survivability and sustainability to the team while at the same time not overpowered is what I aimed for with this.

Edited by Laamb12

4 hours ago, Laamb12 said:

-snip-

Nobody can read you because your gray text blends in with the dark theme of the forums.

In a more serious note, I must say that I personally disagree with making hallowed ground an aura, as well as keeping renewal as a channeled ability.

First, while I would have originally been OK with hallowed ground being an aura, now that hallowed ground can irradiate enemies, I find it to be an important part of his kit that I can lay down multiple hallowed grounds wherever I want, and at the same time, not be on any specific hallowed ground, or, not be on a hallowed ground at all. In fact, I can see myself being LESS mobile if hallowed ground was tied to my location, because, in order to keep my hallowed gorund where I wanted it, I would have to be there as well. Looking past the gameplay aspect, the aura doesn't fit from a logic aspect either. When a priest sanctifies a plot of land, or an item, or anything, he doesn't just walk over it and suddenly it's blessed. It's a ritual of sorts. So, short of saying oberon is a god, everything around him magically becoming holy makes no sense.

As for renewal, I do agree that the base drain for a renewal ability that's active on a full squad of 4 is obscene. 14 energy/sec base? And for what? a base 200 armor buff(conditional), a base heal of... what. 40 hp/sec? And of course, limited range. Now, one option is for renewal's energy cost to be lowered. Drastically. We're talking huge. Down to maybe... 5 energy/sec max. Thing is, I find it unlikely that DE would spring for this option because they seem to dislike channeled powers which are always on and always have an affect (citing valkyr's hysteria now consuming more energy the longer it is active). On that note, I agree that valkyr's hysteria gets more done for less. Lower energy drain (her energy drain doesn't get up to renewal levels until 70+% on hysteria's inefficiency counter, which can easily be avoided by going in and ou tof hysteria, I dunno, once every 30 seconds or so. And in that time, valkyr becomes invincible, gets an exalted weapon, plus heals.

My proposed renewal is to keep it as a buff like it was before, but not a channeled buff. Just a generic buff. You know. like warcry. speed. roar. Keep the infinite range, but also keep the projectile/travel time mechanic as a tradeoff. The delivery mechanism of pre-rework renewal never had any big problems for me, just the channeled drain. Once renewal is a buff with a burst heal, it falls perfectly in-line with all of his other abilities as an ability that can be re-cast multiple times in quick succession if need be, or cast just every now and again, much like hallowed ground, depending on your situation.

Alright I'll make it brief and simple:

1. Smite - Perfect

2 . Hallowed Ground - Return the percentage armor buff, apply the calculation as last (meaning after Iron Renewal)

3. Renewal - Screw the wave, return the infinite range travelling orbs. Make it go as fast as Sanic if needed. Also increase base armor buff from 200 to 250-300.

4. Reckoning - Make it so health orbs drop from enemies primed by Reckoning, not killed by it.

Also for a Warframe that now requires so much casting for "synergy", his base energy pool needs to be improved.

Currently, one notable issue is that Nekros' Shadows of the Dead are affected by Renewal. In practice this means that if a Nekros has Shadows up when you cast, your energy is going to gutter practically instantly, thus stripping the upkeep from your teammates along with it.

I do not know yet if it applies to other 'minion' skills, such as Titania's Razorflies or Nidus' Maggots, so that's going to require some investigation and I am sincerely hoping that such interaction is a bug because there is no way that it's sustainable, considering the amount of drain it results in.

If anyone has noticed this as well, do note it; Oberon just doesn't have the energy to sustain disposable summons as it stands, especially when they're largely meant to expire in some form. 

Ok, I used Oberon for a bit and from what I can gather :

** Smite :

Is a wonky ability that can or rather may work but only if you target stronger unit, attacking anything weak is pointless, can this ability get a buff to damage? it needs more.

** Hallowed Ground :

- Needs to change from ground based effect to wave effect, Hallowed Wave is the name, and becomes just like Chaos Sphere (Nyx's Chaos augment) where it shrinks over time after it reach its max range.

- It also refund Oberon 2 energy per affected enemy killed. base range should be increased to something like 30-40 meters.

- This ability gives armor but when used with Renewal it amplify the armor buff, at 100% strength the amplifying is 2 times but with more strength its more.

- Staying in one place for a bit long = bleedout/ revive screen, why keeping an ability that's basically a death trap? I say change it to wave that expand then shrinks!

** Renewal :

- This ability have its own armor buff which is 200 at base but when it inherit Hallowed Wave it increased to 400 (more power strength = more armor).

- Remove the duration inversion and make the heal speed affected by power strength, more strength = faster and more healing.

- Remove range limit since its pointless in the first place, this ability can not compete against Blessing so no need for limitation on range, so can we have the traveling orbs back but make them faster.

- Allies needs to be within HW to get its extra armor buff though.

** Reckoning : ( I will get lots of hate for this)

- Remove armor debuff, its pointless since enemies NEED to be standing on HG which most of the times they aren't.

- Increase the range from what it's to 25 meters.

- This ability can be spammed A LOT which can be annoying so can it be changed to when used on enemies it will lift them in the air while inflicting constant Radiation and inflict puncture procs, they stay up for 12 seconds!

- After enemies get lifted and irradiated, they will emit (burst) Rads procs to anything near them drawing attention away from Oberon, each emit (burst) = knock down + radiation.

- Slamming  the lifted enemies creates a radial blind + a chance to drop a health orb.

Can his energy pool be increased to 200-250? he needs to spam his powers more than before and 150 (420 with P. Flow) can't really cut it or at least lower the cost of abilities, please?

For Passive, can it be changed from 1 revive to "companions enters a dormant state which can only be revived by Oberon but at a slower rate" with a cool down of 2 minutes before he can revive again.

Or " Within 50 meters, any enemy killed while suffering from Radiation Element  will generate 3 energy for Oberon". 

3 hours ago, Blakrana said:

Currently, one notable issue is that Nekros' Shadows of the Dead are affected by Renewal. In practice this means that if a Nekros has Shadows up when you cast, your energy is going to gutter practically instantly, thus stripping the upkeep from your teammates along with it.

I do not know yet if it applies to other 'minion' skills, such as Titania's Razorflies or Nidus' Maggots, so that's going to require some investigation and I am sincerely hoping that such interaction is a bug because there is no way that it's sustainable, considering the amount of drain it results in.

If anyone has noticed this as well, do note it; Oberon just doesn't have the energy to sustain disposable summons as it stands, especially when they're largely meant to expire in some form. 

Don't mind me asking, does Renewal's current drain per second affected by how many players it's healing at once? Like Curative Undertow?

1 minute ago, LokiTheCondom said:

Don't mind me asking, does Renewal's current drain per second affected by how many players it's healing at once? Like Curative Undertow?

Have to double check a bit, but I think it's along those lines.

When i started oberon was my 1st frame (not counting starter excal), and i always had fun using him, even how bad he was and still is compared to other frames. The buff he got 2 years back made him better, a lot better but what was recently done to him is meh. It is really shamefull that players with 0 formas in him, xp reached just to hit rank 30 give a feedback saying he is good now. Thats like me, who never plays volt would say he is perfect now his rework made him great, and all the sweet sugar words, even if i dont play him to the margin that i could give out constructive criticism. I havent done that because my opinions, feedback would be meaningless compared to the volt mains. So after short introduction we should start.

SMITE was personally the best #1 for me (not counting nidus for example) out of the elemental dmg dealing abilities. When they said smite will have   added scaling, i was excited but this is not how other frames scale. I´m not gonna do "war fight" comparison, only a slight pointing out to other frames - nidus, octavia. These two climbed up the ladder over any other frames with the possibility to adapt to enemy stats scaling. The actual scaling is contraproductive. Why? Because right now the secondary orbs from the 1st target split the damage from 1st target. if there is 1 enemy, youre fine you can deal with it. But with multiple enemies it turns to be a scaling dmg lackluster ability. Sure it has     proc, knockdown but now we are talking about scaling damage. And again i will point out nidus, he scales pretty good, sure he has to get his stacks, but oberon will never be able to catch up no matter what you do. And power str? Sure it increases the number of secondary orbs, so now we have even less dmg which has the label of scaling dmg. In my personal opinion the number of orbs should be caped, maybe like 10. The scaling damage should not be split between them, but there should be something more and complex implemented, because that way you would 1shot a single target ignoring its stats.

RENEWAL  make the healing properly. But seriously the invert effect of duration? That was, i dnt know, by mistake or somebody wanted a revenge?  Sure the idea of nova  expanding wave is nice, and interesting. Keep it as nova, duration based with power str for healing pulses, lets say a cap of 1500 heal but again, pay attention, because you know how old miasma was right? So we dont step in the same problem again. And please no toggle, who ever said renewal is a great toggle, even tested it?  I went low planets with nevbies, sure they still dont know how, when, where to take cover, jump away from DoT procs, i kept renewal active. Primed flow 425 energy i never ever had more than 50 energy and found out myself empty pretty often. 2 ene per second? Fine can deal with that and then 3 ene per second per healing     target? Well went all energy. oberon with his small energy pool is unable to do the supposed "synergy".

HG + RECKONING  i already learned that press 4 to win is dead, mostly, and oberon is miles away from being one of those. So the small so called CC it provides is... lets say bearable. Another added thing to both of them as part of so called synergy is the armor stripping, fine, but shouldn´t the range of HG&Reckoning at least match a bit better, i already know reckoning has meh range and will always keep it. To hallowed ground well, im not the one who wants a walking with oberon or a circle shaped something beneath me, but do something with the energy, he is so energy hungry for the "synergy" that HG could generate 1-1,5 fixed energy per sec. Armor buffs fine, im good with it, status & knockdown resistance is great too. 

Passive - well i dont really care anymore about his passive if we take in account that chroma cant get a passive, and please dont start pointing out that the "rainbow" is chromas passive because thats a gameplay mechanic.

So long story short  oberon got added small bits of everything to everything with pins, so he looks like a hedgehog, " he is sweet and nice" but nobody wil take him in their hands.

Edited by Yami666

One issue : The "health orb drop from enemies killed by Reckoning" thing just doesnt make any sense, let me explain why as below

Low level : Enemies are never a real threat to Oberon because it's LOW LEVEL, no enemy can one shot you or deal lethal damage to you in a short time so why a health orb is needed when your enemies can hardly break your shield ? You can just cast Reckoning and one shot every enemy around you in low level.

High level : Reckoning just CAN'T KILL in HIGH LEVEL, even after the recent damage buff... Everybody feel free to try bringing Oberon to a Sortie and you can just start counting how many "4" u need to press before u kill a enemy, especially when u r dealing with Grineer and Infested.

How to fix : I wonder why don't DE themselves test Oberon in a real fight so that they can understand why he falls short compared to other frames. At the end of the day, it;s up to them to finish the mess.

15 minutes ago, Doomerang said:

One issue : The "health orb drop from enemies killed by Reckoning" thing just doesnt make any sense, let me explain why as below

Low level : Enemies are never a real threat to Oberon because it's LOW LEVEL, no enemy can one shot you or deal lethal damage to you in a short time so why a health orb is needed when your enemies can hardly break your shield ? You can just cast Reckoning and one shot every enemy around you in low level.

High level : Reckoning just CAN'T KILL in HIGH LEVEL, even after the recent damage buff... Everybody feel free to try bringing Oberon to a Sortie and you can just start counting how many "4" u need to press before u kill a enemy, especially when u r dealing with Grineer and Infested.

How to fix : I wonder why don't DE themselves test Oberon in a real fight so that they can understand why he falls short compared to other frames. At the end of the day, it;s up to them to finish the mess.

Definitely a bright idea to allow enemies to drop health orb on death if they were "primed" by Reckoning. Can't kill them with ability? No problem, just kill em with your guns.

This one teensy weeny change can turn him into a potential tank.

Just now, MarrikBroom said:

Note: I can bring Oberon to a sortie, and it work... but Reckoning isn't used (for me) to kill. It's used as a quick emergancy 'oh S#&$ I'm swarmed WHAM ok RUN.'

I didnt say u cant bring him to a sortie and do well...Reckoning is a good emergancy CC as you mention, but what I'm trying to say is that Reckoning just can't kill high level enemies which make that "heath ord drop" thing meaningless

1 minute ago, MarrikBroom said:

Oh Definately. At Sortie Level I view his 1 and 4 as crowd control. it's a sucker's game to think you can go into sortie 3 and reckoning spam to win. ON the one hand i like not being able to 'press number to win' however right now he's at best a mediocre frame.

Pleas keep in mind i have usage stats in the 30% range since i joined last July and I have a four digit playtime counter on steam. The few times i don't Oberon are spy missions, Corrupted vaults, or specifically sentient hunting. Every other time i cheerfully go in with Oberon and had generally been OK even though Rhino frankly isa better generalist.

Image result for ah i see you're a man of culture as well

2 minutes ago, LokiTheCondom said:

Definitely a bright idea to allow enemies to drop health orb on death if they were "primed" by Reckoning. Can't kill them with ability? No problem, just kill em with your guns.

This one teensy weeny change can turn him into a potential tank.

That sounds decent to me. In other words, why not just make enemies affected by radiation proc drop health orb when they're killed by Oberon, that would make it practical because your weapons can deal much more damge than Reckoning.

2 minutes ago, Doomerang said:

That sounds decent to me. In other words, why not just make enemies affected by radiation proc drop health orb when they're killed by Oberon, that would make it practical because your weapons can deal much more damge than Reckoning.

Then that might make Reckoning pretty much useless aside from the CC aspect, and I doubt they'd swap out his passive for this.

6 minutes ago, MarrikBroom said:

The thing is that would in turn make reckoning incredibly USEFUL since I can reckoning a crowd, melee them like a freaking buzzsaw, arrow them, shoot them, or just use the tigrus prime and 'oh hey you? You don't get to be a member of the 'existing in this universe' club anymore.'

Well, useless in the sense that one can rely on Smite or Hallowed Ground, but overall it might turn Oberon a tad too strong, so I figured it's better off to limit it to Reckoning to allow health orbs to drop.

8 minutes ago, MarrikBroom said:

The thing is that would in turn make reckoning incredibly USEFUL since I can reckoning a crowd, melee them like a freaking buzzsaw, arrow them, shoot them, or just use the tigrus prime and 'oh hey you? You don't get to be a member of the 'existing in this universe' club anymore.'

Exactly. Reckoning's 100% radiation proc rocks.

Hello everyone, hope you’re doing well. I rarely post but since they’re re-working Oberon, might as well add my two cents. I love Oberon, my favorite frame! Even when people said he was terrible, I made him work the best I could. I can and did openly admit he wasn’t my first choice If I were to go on a Sortie. Mainly because he didn’t scale well, but thankfully DE announced they would do some tweaking. I was very happy and worried at the same time. Happy he was getting the attention he deserved, worried that non-Oberon mains would offer suggestions they thought were helpful without playing him long enough to understand what and how he is supposed to be used.

I loved the initial rework of Oberon. Sure there were a few things that weren’t working but I knew they would figure it out and patch it. What I’m a having a problem with is his second patch. I’ve noticed people made comments about how awesome the new toggle Renewal is. Unfortunately, it’s not that great. Here is a screenshot where I built Oberon around Phoenix Renewal, and his Armor Buff, which is why a majority of people was so happy it’s now toggle-able.

d3c4999c3a854e83a4ee657501edfe00.png

Since Phoenix Renewal and/or Iron Renewal remained active so long as Renewal was they were both active for 80 seconds. It was great, finally able to make that weird build I always wanted. If I or an ally messed up or got caught off guard every once in a while, Phoenix Renewal kept us up. I even took him on a one-hour mission. Mot, Void I had no problems. I was thinking, Oberon is on the right path because of how well all the skills complemented each other. Smite was acting very weird. At level 100 and higher enemies, I admittedly had to use my melee weapon a little more. No problem, atleast I was a real Paladin now!

Sadly, when next I logged in I was disappointed to see the changes made to Renewal. In the first reworked Renewal it only used energy if it was actually healing an ally. I feel like Renewal as it currently is breaks the flow of how Oberon could smoothly change between roles. Do you want me to stop using Renewal? I can’t use any of my other abilities if my heal is sucking all of my energy at a crazy rate. Goodbye Energy Siphon, see you later Zenurik because I also can’t regenerate energy while its active. Even if I were to stop being lazy and collect all the energy orbs. There is no mission I know of that drops enough of them to sustain Renewal. If the objective was to make it so Renewal was always active on an ally, then this was not a success. I find myself constantly enabling and disabling Renewal so that I can retain enough energy to cast my other abilities. As a result, Renewal suffers from the same problem the original had. Unless I am psychic. My allies or I would not have the buff active in order to receive Bleed Out timer increase or if I built for Phoenix Renewal, we wouldn’t receive the invulnerable period after the free instant revive. Why punish me for wanting to heal my allies?

One of the main reasons I love Warframe is because you can customize a frame to no end. Some builds may be good and others utter trash. You could mod your frame to suit your playstyle and situation. But now I feel like I’m forced to use Renewal how DE decided I should use it. At first you could max out your heal strength at the expense of some efficiency or duration, or however you decided you needed it. Now no matter if you add max duration or cap efficiency you still get hit with a major energy drain. Why take away the customization?

If I may offer a few suggestions for Renewal.

1.)  Keep the wave, you can’t support your allies properly if you’re on the opposite end of the map. That’s one of the problems infinite range projectiles had. The wave also increases the chance an ally is on your Hallowed ground to receive its advantages.

2.) Remove the toggle, once removed you will be able to regenerate your energy. Oberon’s energy pool doesn’t allow abilities that leech energy and disable his regeneration constantly. After doing this you wouldn’t need to increase his pool either like others suggested. If you want his abilities to cost less, build his frame for efficiency just like any other frame. Since the way Renewal works currently, no amount of efficiency will save you.

3.) Change it to only use energy if an ally is being healed. You won’t constantly get distracted or worry if you have enough to cast other abilities. It will feel like you’re being positively encouraged to support allies.

4.) Keep the per target energy drain. You’re more likely to go support that team member instead of outright disabling Renewal if it cost less.

5.) Keep the disabled energy regeneration but only while its actively healing an ally. If you want to receive the benefits of energy regeneration you better go support your allies.

6.) Power Efficiency affects suggestion 4. Better efficiency means less energy spent healing. Horrible efficiency means you will be penalized just like any other ability.

7.) Power Duration should affect your Heal over Time as it did in the first reworked Renewal. (I will leave the specific HoT numbers to DE, that’s a hornet’s nest even I’m not willing to kick) You want Phoenix Renewal and/or Iron Renewal on for a longer duration. Well it’s going to cost you some HoT strength and Iron Renewal counter time. You don’t think Phoenix Renewal is worth the effort and instead want higher HoT and longer Iron Renewal counter, well get that Power Duration as high as you want. All a matter of how you want to mod.

8.) Power Strength affects initial heal and Iron Renewal. Want very high initial heal and/or Iron Renewal armor? Get that Blind Rage build going! However, you will have to trade off some efficiency as a result.  Find a reasonable balance just like with any other ability.

Side Note 1: I find it odd people don’t think the wave isn’t big enough considering it has a base range of 25. That’s a lot, especially if you mod for a Power Range of 235%. That’s nearly 60 meters!

6e55a0a8a27140c7aa2fb7cf33234716.png

Side Note 2: Here’s proof I’ve endured a lot with Oberon! Look at the amount of time I played him. That was before the rework. After the rework, I will play him even more! Some people can be rude; I’ve been in squads where they have bluntly said things along the lines of. “oberon sux, go get a Trinity or Inaros bro” If I did somehow miraculously manage to run into another Oberon fan. We basically talked about changes we would like to see on him in the future.

Think I covered everything I’d personally like to see in Renewal. This was one of many ways you could mod Oberon, you don’t have to use Phoenix Renewal if you don’t want to. You also don’t have to mod for more Armor from Iron Renewal either, and that's my point. There is no one way you have to play a frame. If you want to focus on one thing, do it. If you want to ignore another, do it. You should be able to mod your frame to change accordingly.  If I left out certain things like heal wave speed and distance for example. You can assume I find them fine to not warrant change. I will also make a post in the future about my thoughts on the other abilities. So please if anyone is reading this, let’s make Renewal great again! Wait, where have I heard that?

Positives of This Rework

• Between the constant healing and mobile armor buff, Renewal is an endgame-viable team survivability buff, rather than just a spot heal for casual public matches. This is especially true with the change to the Phoenix Renewal augment.
  • Smite is actually fairly strong now. Not insanely overpowered, but it was one of the recommended attacks for dealing with the Juggernaut from yesterday's challenge alert.

Negatives of This Rework

• Now that half of his kit relies on combinations in order to get anything done, Oberon consumes a metric ton of energy. He has the lowest possible energy pool for a caster Warframe, and no way to generate energy or reduce his costs.
    • Even the armor buff from Hallowed Ground is more expensive to gain and maintain than before.
    • Frankly, a lot of the "synergy" in his kit is terribly forced. A frame like Loki puts two skills together to cover gaps that either skill has and produces a favorable outcome from the overlap; Oberon puts two skills together because it's literally the only way to produce a specific effect that isn't part of either skill. It's like on-disc DLC: You're gating the full benefits of an ability behind an extra energy cost.
  • Reckoning is... just awfully designed. The snap CC it provides fills a gap in Oberon's kit that extends his survivability, but it also applies 3 simultaneous CC status effects to the target at once. It still lacks scaling damage, yet it provides a benefit for finishing off targets (the health orbs). The damage boost it gains from Irradiated targets is just as easily applied by spamming the attack, so it still has very little synergy with the rest of his kit.
  • His kit tries to do so much that most of the benefits of his abilities are completely unknown to players unless they look at the wiki. His kit generally just needs to be streamlined and simplified.
    • Smite: Deal Radiation/Impact damage to a target, knock down the target and inflict Radiation status. The target will then release projectiles that bounce off the walls for a Duration or trace nearby enemies to deal Radiation damage that increases based on your main target's EHP, inflicting stagger, Puncture status and a chance of a Radiation proc.
    • Renewal: Emits an expanding radial wave of energy. Allies who touch the wave will consume Oberon's energy over time to receive a healing effect. Dying while Renewal is active will extend your bleedout timer. Cleanses status debuffs from targets with maximum health. Cast on allies within Hallowed Ground to grant them a flat amount of armor, which lasts a short while after Renewal is deactivated.
    • Reckoning: Inflict Radiation/Impact damage to all nearby enemies, which increases on targets affected by Radiation status. Surviving targets are knocked down, receive Radiation status, and emit Blinding bursts in a radius around themselves. Slain targets have a 50% chance to drop a Health orb. Cast on enemies within Hallowed Ground to reduce their armor by a percentage.
      • Now look at the Codex and figure out how much of those a player just picking him up is probably aware of.

Further Suggestions

• Give Oberon some way to restore his own energy. What would really work for him would be to change his passive to restore a little of his energy for each status effect he inflicts. That or have one of his abilities generate extra energy orbs, although that would officially make him step on Trinity's toes. I'm also partial to having him generate energy each time he blocks an attack...
  • Either just give the armor to Renewal whether or not Hallowed Ground is up, or have Hallowed Ground supply an armor buff even when Renewal is deactivated (which Renewal can still improve to allow players to leave the field with the buff).
  • Frankly, just... redesign Reckoning. I won't pretend to know how.
Edited by Archwizard

1 hour ago, Archwizard said:

Renewal: Emits an expanding radial wave of energy. Allies who touch the wave will consume Oberon's energy over time to receive a healing effect. Dying while Renewal is active will extend your bleedout timer. Cleanses status debuffs from targets with maximum health. Cast on allies within Hallowed Ground to grant them a flat amount of armor, which lasts a short while after Renewal is deactivated.

I've an addendum:

Since the changes Renewal now affects the following, after testing with a friend:

• Nekros' Shadows of the Dead
  • Inaros' Sand Shadows
  • Atlas' Rumblers
  • Nyx's Mind Control target (I'm as surprised as the rest of you)
  • Loki's Decoy
  • Allied Invasion NPCs

Possibly also affects Titania's Razorflies, but it's hard to be sure considering how quickly they move around and how small an object they present to check for a pulsing aura.

I've got to ask, is Renewal affecting these items intentional, or some coding oversight? Much as it's somewhat amusing to provide triage to a slaved Heavy Gunner or Armour a Decoy, over all there's no real benefit to have it do this, as they either devour all of Oberon's energy reserves trying to be futilely kept alive (Nekros' Shadows), will die regardless due to being tied to Duration anyway (Sand Shadows, Rumblers, Razorflies*, Decoy) or can't receive damage anyway (Mind Control target). Expendable summons are just that; expendable.

Renewal is better...but seeing as Oberon's energy economy is pretty tight as it is, having such a wide plethora of things it can affect and thus, have its cost increased by, isn't helping him in the long term. It's basically impossible as it is to sustain Renewal if you cast it and it catches a Nekros' shadows, due to their Health decay being treated as damage. Cue no more energy or renewal support.

If Renewal can get brought back to focusing on only healing Players, Companions and crucial NPCs like Rescue/Sortie Defence targets, it'd mitigate his reserves being essentially overwhelmed by high populations.

27 minutes ago, Blakrana said:

I've an addendum:

Since the changes Renewal now affects the following, after testing with a friend:

• Nekros' Shadows of the Dead
  • Inaros' Sand Shadows
  • Atlas' Rumblers
  • Nyx's Mind Control target (I'm as surprised as the rest of you)
  • Loki's Decoy
  • Allied Invasion NPCs

Possibly also affects Titania's Razorflies, but it's hard to be sure considering how quickly they move around and how small an object they present to check for a pulsing aura.

I've got to ask, is Renewal affecting these items intentional, or some coding oversight? Much as it's somewhat amusing to provide triage to a slaved Heavy Gunner or Armour a Decoy, over all there's no real benefit to have it do this, as they either devour all of Oberon's energy reserves trying to be futilely kept alive (Nekros' Shadows), will die regardless due to being tied to Duration anyway (Sand Shadows, Rumblers, Razorflies*, Decoy) or can't receive damage anyway (Mind Control target). Expendable summons are just that; expendable.

Renewal is better...but seeing as Oberon's energy economy is pretty tight as it is, having such a wide plethora of things it can affect and thus, have its cost increased by, isn't helping him in the long term. It's basically impossible as it is to sustain Renewal if you cast it and it catches a Nekros' shadows, due to their Health decay being treated as damage. Cue no more energy or renewal support.

If Renewal can get brought back to focusing on only healing Players, Companions and crucial NPCs like Rescue/Sortie Defence targets, it'd mitigate his reserves being essentially overwhelmed by high populations.

That's one of those grey areas.

I'm all in favor of frames having unique synergies with one another - Bullet Attractor with Radial Javelin or Prism is an old favorite. I'm not against Oberon and Nekros working well together.

The issue is that it saps Oberon's energy like no other in such cases. Now, I'm not saying that it absolutely needs to be retained for the sake of synergy, but if there was some way to retain this while increasing his energy efficiency...

16 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

That's one of those grey areas.

I'm all in favor of frames having unique synergies with one another - Bullet Attractor with Radial Javelin or Prism is an old favorite. I'm not against Oberon and Nekros working well together.

The issue is that it saps Oberon's energy like no other in such cases. Now, I'm not saying that it absolutely needs to be retained for the sake of synergy, but if there was some way to retain this while increasing his energy efficiency...

It really comes to that energy problem in the end. For Atlas and the others, it seems reasonably sustainable far as I could tell (though it's genuinely pointless for Mind Control targets), just Nekros' Shadows that prove difficult.

Certainly works thematically as a support function, at least.

Why not something simple in regards to the healing: Keep the 2 energy per second drain for keeping it active, and the additional 3 energy per second for when it's actually healing, but do NOT scale up the 3 energy per second per target healed. All other AoE heals don't care wether it heals one or 20 targets, its energy cost remains the same. Why can't Oberon's?