Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Melee Rivens have a "Range" modifiers in when they're released?

Praxxor

I just want your opinions, I personally think that including the range modifier in melee Riven mods could make the melee weapons even more overpowered than they are right now, I think that some particular weapons (Secura Lecta) will be able to attack close to 20 meters with a 150-200% Riven (and we know that Riven modifiers can exceed their regular or prime counterparts, I have a 440% damage Riven personally) which would go against all the AOE nerfs that DE has been pushing out for the past two years.
So, what do you think? Should it be there like most other modifiers? Remove it from the roll pool? Restrict range by weapon type (no range for whips, etc.)?

Edited by Praxxor

1 minute ago, --RV--D4VE- said:

At this point in time we don't need melee rivens at all. It's surely too soon for them to being introduced simply because the riven system is badly implemented (as is focus) and needs a rework before introducing something like melee rivens.

agree so much. de need to start looking at what we have and making it work instead. instead of new content. they just need to spend a whole 1.0 on fixing what we have. there are so many incomplete or buggy as hell things that they need to look at.

4 minutes ago, ScorpDK said:

RNG is a wild beast. Let it roam free and grow unhindered by meddling hands.

only then will Exalted Blade shine bright like a diamond...

Exalted weapons are not affected by riven mods, so Exalted Blade won't benefit from melee rivens.

Just now, Oru5732 said:

Exalted weapons are not affected by riven mods, so Exalted Blade won't benefit from melee rivens.

there goes the dream of 10 meter wide shockwaves... oh well.

Back to focusing on hyper fast polearms with massive reach.

Not really seen any difference in a short weapons when used range mod but if once that riven can come out then it should be because it is the part of the melee weapon stats. Polearms, scythes, staves and other long weapons will get benefit from it. Luckily multishot is not a thing on the melee weapons so a raw famage boost and type damage boost won't be problematic once these rivens coming.

i don't think that's going to be a great issue, high range weapons like secura lecta, atterax, orthos prime etc.. are probably going to get a low riven disposition, that mean that they could reach a maximum of like 60/70% reach, not a great bonus, but still good with other stats on top of a primed reach to get max range

People, PEOPLE!

You are forgetting a funny posibility: Negative Range.

That opens for some hilarious posibilities. I want a neg range riven for a Fist weapon just to see if I can do this:

d1cfc1590d4db0c8bdec151627bc683eo.jpg

Also, how would the game handle 360º attacks? Will the game take the negative range and apply it as regular range (when past 100%) ? Will the game implode? WHO KNOWS!

Edited by Nazrethim

2 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

People, PEOPLE!

That opens for some hilarious posibilities. I want a neg range riven for a Fist weapon just to see if I can do this:

Also, how would the game handle 360º attacks? Will the game take the negative range and apply it as regular range (when past 100%) ? Will the game implode? WHO KNOWS!

you are going to punch yourself, or to punch behind you

20 minutes ago, Dragonofdarkness13 said:

what I'd really prefer is a Range display on the modding screen ~

Gosh wouldn't that be nice.  Maybe we should ask for it.  Oh wait, we have for 3+ years *sigh*

44 minutes ago, Sziklamester said:

Not really seen any difference in a short weapons when used range mod [...] Polearms, scythes, staves and other long weapons will get benefit from it.

That is the sad part, weapons that DON'T need range (polearms, whips, staves) will get more benefit from it than weapons that definitely need range (fist, claw, dual/daggers).

Just like all mods, the lower base stat weapons benefit far less than the higher base stat weapons.

So very craptastic.

2 hours ago, Grimm said:

agree so much. de need to start looking at what we have and making it work instead. instead of new content. they just need to spend a whole 1.0 on fixing what we have. there are so many incomplete or buggy as hell things that they need to look at.

this, combined with the fact that rivens don't even drop frequently for me (no where near a common drop) this is just watering down the drop table even more.  I haven't even had enough rivens to fill my allowance of slots yet, let alone a riven for a weapon I actually use or could use on a regular basis. 

Then there's the rng and kuva side of rivens which are just stupid and I don't think anybody enjoys the farming side of getting kuva.

I still say riven mods was a bad idea and DE should have spent the time working on balancing the weapons rather than a new card system that to be blunt is purely about plat sales (from people wanting meta weapons after a few lucked out on the rng)

Edited by LSG501

3 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

this, combined with the fact that rivens don't even drop frequently for me (no where near a common drop) this is just watering down the drop table even more.  I haven't even had enough rivens to fill my allowance of slots yet, let alone a riven for a weapon I actually use or could use on a regular basis. 

Then there's the rng and kuva side of rivens which are just stupid and I don't think anybody enjoys the farming side of getting kuva.

I still say riven mods was a bad idea and DE should have spent the time working on balancing the weapons rather than a new card system that to be blunt is purely about plat sales (from people wanting meta weapons after a few lucked out on the rng)

Kuva farming is neither difficult or tedious, especially if you have a resource booster. (three hours are in the log in rewards quite often)

The RNG is what keeps them in check, every one who complains about the RNG wants to control the stats, and that there is simply ridiculous, and will make the items actually Pay To Win like people sheep on about constantly in this game.

As far as we know DE are working on bringing weapons back up to decent standards with Damage 3.0, Rivens are a patch work, and actually do do their job of making weaker weapons usable again.

(oh and if you didn't noticed Riven drop rates are being increased to 25%)

27 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

The update page claims that Rivens have a 20% chance to drop now and that'll be increased to 25% when Harrow is released. You should be getting a riven approximately every 5 days statistically

18 minutes ago, Klavinmour said:

Kuva farming is neither difficult or tedious, especially if you have a resource booster. (three hours are in the log in rewards quite often)

The RNG is what keeps them in check, every one who complains about the RNG wants to control the stats, and that there is simply ridiculous, and will make the items actually Pay To Win like people sheep on about constantly in this game.

As far as we know DE are working on bringing weapons back up to decent standards with Damage 3.0, Rivens are a patch work, and actually do do their job of making weaker weapons usable again.

(oh and if you didn't noticed Riven drop rates are being increased to 25%)

Ah let me guess you got decent riven mods and you rolled a decent set of rng generated stats in a few goes.....

I never said farming was difficult, but it is tedious because of the amounts we need for re-rolling.   But lol at the need for a resource booster comment... if you NEED a resource booster to get enough of something doesn't that say that it's not dropping enough in the first place....

I'll believe the 'damage 3.0' rework comments from dev's when I see it and as for rivens making weaker weapons usable again...hmm I have a riven for a cestra pistol, it's initial stats are rubbish meaning I need to play the rng game which no matter what you do to it will never make the cestra better than any of the high end weapons.  It's not just the cestra that suffers from it, some weapons just are not viable even with rivens, I also lucked into one one for the spira (prime in my case) and even with lower disposition it is far more powerful as a weapon than the cestra before and after a riven is applied let alone meta weapons.  Like I said the time they spent with riven mods could have been spent doing the 'damage 3.0' you talk of...oh wait that wouldn't bring in plat though would it (don't get me wrong I know the dev's need plat sales but rivens are imo wrong approach)...

And I do know about the extra 5% on riven drops and my exact response when I saw it was 'oh joy an extra 5% odds on it dropping that will make all the difference to me not getting ayatan or endo'... that's still 75% chance of it not dropping and that's ignoring the fact they don't state 'where' that 25% is applicable, is it 25% of all drops or is 25% of the common drops which have their own percentage rate of drops, it can make a HUGE difference.  Based on my own experience it's more like the latter because I sure haven't had a 1 in 5 drop rate (and no I'm not expecting one every 4) on rivens thats for sure. Yes I know the wiki says it's the former.

4 minutes ago, Praxxor said:

The update page claims that Rivens have a 20% chance to drop now and that'll be increased to 25% when Harrow is released. You should be getting a riven approximately every 5 days statistically

Tell that to my rng that prefers endo, ayatan, lens' and boosters....hell I even had a forma and potato...  For something that is supposed to be a common drop my drops sure don't show it.  Funnily enough based on my experience I have about the same drop rate of rivens as greater lens.

Edited by LSG501

1 hour ago, Nazrethim said:

People, PEOPLE!

d1cfc1590d4db0c8bdec151627bc683eo.jpg

negative range  won't be possible as the -x%  will be applied to the stats and  won't be raw numbers,  wich means if you have  "1" range and u have a negative  riven it will not go  below  0

Edited by xXduncanXx

Just now, xXduncanXx said:

negative range  won't be possible as the -x%  will be applied to the stats and  won't be raw numbers,  wich means if you have  "1" range and u have a negative  riven it will not go  below  0

Edited by xXduncanXx

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

Ah let me guess you got decent riven mods and you rolled a decent set of rng generated stats in a few goes.....

I never said farming was difficult, but it is tedious because of the amounts we need for re-rolling.   But lol at the need for a resource booster comment... if you NEED a resource booster to get enough of something doesn't that say that it's not dropping enough in the first place....

I'll believe the 'damage 3.0' rework comments from dev's when I see it and as for rivens making weaker weapons usable again...hmm I have a riven for a cestra pistol, it's initial stats are rubbish meaning I need to play the rng game which no matter what you do to it will never make the cestra better than any of the high end weapons.  It's not just the cestra that suffers from it, some weapons just are not viable even with rivens, I also lucked into one one for the spira (prime in my case) and even with lower disposition it is far more powerful as a weapon than the cestra before and after a riven is applied let alone meta weapons.  Like I said the time they spent with riven mods could have been spent doing the 'damage 3.0' you talk of...oh wait that wouldn't bring in plat though would it (don't get me wrong I know the dev's need plat sales but rivens are imo wrong approach)...

And I do know about the extra 5% on riven drops and my exact response when I saw it was 'oh joy an extra 5% odds on it dropping that will make all the difference to me not getting ayatan or endo'... that's still 75% chance of it not dropping and that's ignoring the fact they don't state 'where' that 25% is applicable, is it 25% of all drops or is 25% of the common drops which have their own percentage rate of drops, it can make a HUGE difference.  Based on my own experience it's more like the latter because I sure haven't had a 1 in 5 drop rate (and no I'm not expecting one every 4) on rivens thats for sure. Yes I know the wiki says it's the former.

Tell that to my rng that prefers endo, ayatan, lens' and boosters....hell I even had a forma and potato...  For something that is supposed to be a common drop my drops sure don't show it.  Funnily enough based on my experience I have about the same drop rate of rivens as greater lens.

So basically your mind is nothing more than a salt mine, sad you can't see anything being fun in this game.
Really can't understand why people like you that obviously hate the game stick around, I've been playing since Invite Only, if I had your attitude with the game I would never have stuck around this long.

You say Rivens don't make weak weapons viable?
I gave a friend a Hind Riven (my first ever Riven mod) and he's gone and made his Hind just as good, if not better than a Soma Prime.
I have a Riven for the Twin Kohmak, they out DPS my AkStilleto Prime which also have a fantastic Riven Mod.
Actually here's my Riven collection. What you can't see on the edge there is Sweeper, Twin Grakata and Twin Kohmak.
What I'm focusing next on is the Gorgon and Phage mods, the "meta" ones I don't really care for those weapons so I'll either sell them or dissolve them, probably dissolve them.

According to old data mined stats, Riven Mods themselves had the 20% drop rate not Bronze Tier rewards, so it's pretty safe to say the promised increase to 25% is to Riven Mods and not Bronze Tier rewards.
Just because you have bad RNG, or more likely bad perception of RNG doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else.

I never said that a resource booster is needed to farm Kuva, I said it makes it faster, though honestly you don't need it, it's already easy as and fast to get Kuva, what you running AKKAD 24/7 so you can't spend a little time to grab some Kuva?

Edited by Klavinmour

2 hours ago, xXduncanXx said:

Unless it has over -100% range, in which case it will have negative range.

I want to see what happens with a -100% flight speed on a glaive.