Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is a KUBROW worth the effort ?

Shadanwolf

Question

18 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Shadanwolf said:

Its quite a process to get a KUBROW. As a fighting companion ,in your opinion ,are they worth the effort. Are there superior alternatives ?

Kavats. 

Adarza has a chance to give you an additive 60% crit chance to everything, meaning that if you have a 20% chance on your weapon, you`ll have 80% while the buff is active. 

Smeeta has a chance to give you one of the many buffs she has [Instant reload,guaranteed red crit, double resources, energy refund and a few  others that I can't remember now]. While she has more buffs and some better buffs, the chance to get what you want or need is rather low compared to Adarza, so it depends what you want. 

They can attack groups and can strip armor. Kubrows can be powerful as far as killing goes, but Kavats provide more utility. 

Edited by aligatorno

Kavats have more utility but Kubrows have better offense.

Raksa kubrows restore shields twice as often as your sentinel's guardian mod and can roar to chase off enemies. They provide excellent crowd control while buffing your survivability.

Sahasa kubrows dig up resources, often energy orbs, whenever there's a short break in the action. They also get to grapple an enemy which removes them from combat as well as dealing finisher attacks to enemies. They are basically Sunika with the perk of giving resources instead of holding down capture targets (because this is almost literally never useful unless you're having issues with a Kuva Flood capture).

Huras kubrows have better stealth capability than the Shade sentinel and rush forward to deal damage to enemies while you're fighting others. They're great offensive partners.

Helminth Chargers are also an option and are great purely offensive partners with single target control precepts, as well as built in Toxin damage which is something neither Kavat can boast.

What you need to do is choose what kind of utility you're looking for and choose your partner based on that-- pure, reliable utility only? Go with either cat. Focused utility with reliable offense behind it? Go with the doggo.

Note that I'm not saying the Kavats don't have good offensive capabilities. They do. Kubrows just have a bigger focus on it.

Kubrows are very polarizing for some people. I personally feel like they are great. They're practically just another tool you can equip for support. 

They take several forma to be formidable, but I don't see it as a waste of time. There isn't much else to do in this game but build and level up things. May as well build a Kubrow.

It really comes down to playstyle. If you are just being a killing machine that has no time to sit around to get things done....then a Kubrow is not for your style. 

Kavats are more for helping the Warframe in battle, Senti are more for doing things the Warframe doesn't feel like doing, and Kubrows are made for the hunt and feel of battle. Where the Kavat makes the luck in your favor and removes the way to a kill by showing the soft spots or where the enemy is, a Kubrow is there fighting by your side in a hunt of sorts. Each Kubrow has its place in the hunt abd when used with the proper way, becomes a beast of a partner. 

Chipputer said it well about the Kubrow. Each has its place....unless you are running EmberWoF or the likes.

Take them for a spin (i usually do so in SOLO) and see where each one shines for you. 

I used them for mastery, along with both types of Kavats, then put them all into stasis.  I can't be bothered dealing with poor AI on a companion and, realistically, I don't need a DPS boost from my companion and I find Vacuum to be too important in terms of provided utility to not use.

Personally I think kavats are a little better even damage-wise right now because they can hit multiple enemies at once, and strip armor. And there is little utility kubrows have that they do not, at least in terms of general mods, Kavats share kubrow mods and have some of their own, which is kind of unfair to kubrows. 

But it is true that depending on the utility you want, many of the kubrows can make great options and have abilities that kavats and some sentinels do not have (for example shade is horrible, but Huras gives much more reliable invis when you need it), and as long as you like its playstyle, you won't regret investing 6-8 forma in any pet. They can all be powerful and work in high level. 

While I am blinded by my love of kavats, Chipputer is right that they are all useful, and you won't regret your investment of either of them. Pick any of them to forma up and you will have a beast of a companion you can take to sorties that you and your allies can revive when needed, so it never truly goes down. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

Since Kubrows don't have all the utility mods that Kavats do you can pretty much load it up with survival mods. They're tanky as hell with a melee Inaros or Nidus. But besides what Chipputer already mentioned, I think the other two Kubrow types don't get as much credit as they should.

Sunikas VIP targetting applies to synthesis targets (an advantage for the various riven conditions banning traps) as well as Nullifiers which are annoying in their own right. Their finisher damage can also proc arcane trickery. And dunno bout you but after they nerfed the various procs to capture targets they've become fairly difficult as they can run off while you're trying to lay into them. And the Chesa's ability to disarm enemies can be very useful if you're not a Loki 24/7 main. Their retrieve while not a replacement for vacuum has other uses. They can pick up resources you normally have to scan and will crack open resource containers for you.

In my opinion-they are more than worth the effort. Chipputer did a great job of describing each one, but past what each companion does, it comes down to a purely aesthetic look ( in my opinion) and your individual play style. Would you rather have a Raksa kubrow charge into a crowd of enemies and fear them, making it easier for you to rush in and cleave them apart. Or have a Adraza kavat proc a critical chance on your sniper, allowing you to pick enemies off faster from a distance. Or would you rather use a Helios sentinel to scan your enemies so you can test out different ways to defeat them in the simularicum, while utilizing vacuum to insure that you don't miss any loot.

Personally I find myself mostly using one off my chesa kubrow's nowadays, but tend to switch between all types of companions at somepoint or another. But yes, if you don't mind a random look (excluding another kubrows genetic imprints) and plan on focusing solely on statistics then I'd recomend a kubrow.

Huras is the main reason why i stay alive playing low armor / no decent CC frames. And it is priceless when i need to revive someone and the situation is hot. But it is also the reason why i die sometimes trying to save this poor intelligent thing.

Limbo/Nova + Huras = my loadout for spy.

With all weak and strong sides it's my most used companion

I saw your other topic where you said you're MR2.  

At that level, I would suggest getting a Sentinel before diving into getting a Kubrow or a Kavat.  Mainly because the upkeep on those kinds of pets is expensive, and most likely outside of your current in game resources to make effective.

At higher levels, when you have spare Forma and Endo to rank up the pet mods, I'd suggest a Kavat.  They don't have the raw damage of a Kubrow but they have more utility imo