Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Increasing player numbers on Steam - What do you think is the reason?

Doc-Orange

Multiple things make this game more attractive.

First of all they have some marketing which catch some peoples and make some attention too.

Secondly the PoE announcmenet meant the game turning into a semi open world game and open world games attract more peoples overall.

Old and new players also come to check what changed.

There are youtubers whom spread the news about warframe like the flu. Also there are a tons others whom angry because of policy and they make negative campaing against the game which basically attract some people and keep away others.

Watch mojo and other popular youtube channels made some videos about this game and these helps to attaract also more peoples.

Third thing is there are multiple platforms for the game and there is the standalone version on pc too which not really counted so the total playerbase could be much larger han the steam charts.

The game contantly improving and add new tools to the players and expand the options and that is not a small thing the game is Free to play which means everyone can try it for free without pay money for the content.

There are pretty much other options too but I think personally these the major things.

I found this game 5-6 years ago when some site announced DE have some new game idea in developement after their Failed star trek game what they messed up sadly. Then another time 5 years ago a hungarian gaming site confirmed warframe will coming soon then I checked DE's site and waited for the option to become a closed beta member but somehow could not get into it (others were faster) then I just came when they turned into open beta and soon after I came. I used the launcher version but a year ago I changed to the steam version because the launcher bugged then I cannot fix it somehow. I recruited a lot of my online friends into the game but most of them playing rarely the game but as my best know noone left the game maybe made breaks. Then I recruited others into the game made some clanse then some left the game because of the grind. Many of those friends asking me if the game will change in gameplay because the most reasons was why they left the game is the game looked pay to winish with the slot and then "revive" costs money and overall the game structure looks like money grabish (partly true) and the other was the grind which hugely demotivate and frustrated these friends. Some consider to come back if the grind will be lesser and the game could offer more than what can offer now.

The potential always had with warframe and with the side systems like : relays, dojo, lunaro, clan tournaments, some comfort addition and mini games could make the game more nteresting and relaxing. The fishing is coming so may be a housing system also will come just like in every other mmo-esque game where these are essentials to keep players interested.

Also the game need an end game like content and options to continue the game. Currently this works but still after the PoE DE needs to focus on these systems to keep players interested because not enough to catch new flies with honey if they sour it with vinegar because then these flies die. Veteran and newcomers are not well fed and the first needs challenges and new mini games to keep them busy and interested (entertained) and the newcomers need better tutorials to be more familiar with the game and what the game could offer to them. For example they could get at start 100 plat 5 warframe and 10 item slots because that is a moderate number and they won't face in their first boss fights with "paywalls" because the trading itself not solve their problems. The ranking system needs an overhaul and the companions should be more helpful (A.I) and more tanky to survive. 

Balance the contents to be more fair and link the wiki site into this game somehow as a codex. 

First steps could be this and then we can see how it works but I am sure this could help a lot.

Edited by Sziklamester

DE has been hard at work making this game better and better so maybe...just maybe Warframe is now starting to get the attention it deserves hehe. Also it's what others have said. The timing could be right with the so so reactions from Destiny 2, hype for PoE update and the excellent SkillUp review. Either way I'm really happy for DE right now.

Always nice to see.

An large uptick could be from a variety of reasons, but my guess it's simply the recent gaming media activity that has picked up on the upcoming changes in Waframe as announced at TennoCon. Not least of which is the vid by SkillUp. I picked up on this in my YouTube feed and told a couple of friends about it and it was an excellent treatment of the game, even if it had a few inaccuracies.

And at least of my friends expressed more interest than normal. They all know I play the game quite a bit, but they don't really have a grasp on what it's really like. That can be alleviated somewhat by good introductions to the game, such as SkillUp's. I might have one convert, but it'll be on Xbox One--which means I'll have to play on that platform when I haven't looked at it in over two years.

I don't think Destiny 2 has much to do with this. Those disinclined to like Destiny to begin with aren't going to like Destiny 2 and they'll have made up their minds to pursue other things. Those that like Destiny will certainly like Destiny 2, since it's simply more of the same. I found the game a good shooter in its mechanics, but lackluster in about everything else. I see no reason to change that opinion from what I've seen of the beta. If anything, it's worse, with PvP thoroughly watering down the PvE game into an increasingly bland first person gruel.

But I digress...

Again, I think it's just a matter of increased awareness of what's going on in Warframe at present influencing people to take a look or return to check out the changes.

I am hoping for a great number of new players coming and staying in this game. That certainly could help to fill the ghost nodes and make the gaming experience much better.

As above posts peoples stated the numbers coming from multiple cases so yeah a bit complicated but hopefully the game will grow now in playerbase too.

It's great - the numbers are still increasing. When DE will launch the Plains of Eidolon really in September there will be another boost!

Month Avg. Players Gain % Gain Peak Players
Last 30 Days 42,582.8 +3,580.6 +9.18% 58,314
July 2017 39,002.2 +13,100.1 +50.58% 58,314
June 2017 25,902.0 -1,879.2 -6.76% 51,423
May 2017 27,781.2 -2,795.2 -9.14% 47,732
April 2017 30,576.4 -147.3 -0.48% 50,822
March 2017 30,723.7 +2,325.4 +8.19% 69,526

It's either PoE or Twitch Prime in my opinion, as someone also mentioned above. The way Twitch Prime promotion was set up, everyone who tried it, even if they weren't a Warframe player, saw the free prime for Warframe. With Twitch's userbase and Twitch Prime being a free promotion, there's a good chance a few million people *saw* Warframe when they were trying it out, and some of those may have come to play. This was timed perfectly with PoE being in the news. I can't say I'm complaining, more is always fun. 

On 8/3/2017 at 6:56 PM, Doc-Orange said:

Hi. The player numbers on Steam are increasing rapidly. The last 30 days were the alltime high of average player number . http://steamcharts.com/app/230410

Last 30 Days 39,785.1 +782.9 +2.01% 58,314
July 2017 39,002.2 +13,100.1 +50.58% 58,314
June 2017 25,902.0 -1,879.2 -6.76% 51,423
May 2017 27,781.2 -2,795.2 -9.14% 47,732
April 2017 30,576.4 -147.3 -0.48% 50,822

What do you think are the reasons? I see some possibilities;

1. Disappointment about Destiny 2 Beta: Because of some dissppointment there were some comparisons between Destiny and Warframe. Generally Warframe got good opinions-

2. Hype for Plains of Eidolon: I personally started again after I sw the Eidolon video.

3....?

Tennogen. 

On 2017/08/04 at 1:27 AM, SolarDwagon said:

For me it's the ability to take screenshots.

That said, I'm not one of the ones responsible for the uptick. That July uptick is probably Northern summer holidays, though.
It might be that the Twitch Prime/Warframe promo has made people come in that weren't already

Well You can take screenshots in warframe without steam. F6 by default. But I set it up to hide the UI in the warframe screenshots. the steam screenshots do not hide UI which means basically i have both options at all times. also ease of access to a music player. I play full screen so I like having access to the Steam Overlay

I'm a new PC player (I played for a bout 5mins on PS4 when it first came out). Warframe was a game that I always meant to get back into but never did. I'd heard about how much it had been improved and the player numbers don't lie.

The tipping point for me was SkillUps review. I followed SkillUp as a Division player and his enthusiasm prompted me to start her up. That was a bout a week ago and I'm 40 hours in. Waiting on the Foundry to build Rhino... my very first (new) frame awwww. I've probably spent hours+ reading the wiki/forums trying to understand as much as I can as well.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:09 AM, Wrum said:

also convenience. some people only get games from steam.

yeah, I prefer to keep all my games under steam, which is why after alpha or beta tests on some games, If I don't like the game and don't plan to buy it, I will remove all traces of the launcher cause it annoys me that the games are separated. That's also why a tiny bit of me hates having overwatch installed :P

On 8/3/2017 at 4:03 PM, Retrijeuj said:

Eidolon, most likely, but I don't know why people start to chose the Steam version over the "normal" launcher.

Oh yeah, Tennogen.

I use steam for the convenience, I can use the the overlay to pay music, also that is where all my friends are and we can just all join in.

Personally, I am interested in PoE and was hearing about the quests like the war within, and I have to say I am pleasantly pleased with the story and I do want more. Also I know people burned by the first destiny, and I am getting a quality game, and without spending $60.

6 hours ago, KesaraRiku said:

I use steam for the convenience, I can use the the overlay to pay music, also that is where all my friends are and we can just all join in.

Yeah, there's that too. I used Steam at first, then because of some bug with the launcher via Steam, I got the standard launcher, but recently got back to Steam after formating my computer (gotta enjoy that new polarity) because of Tennogen and the alt-tab shortcut.