Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to get good

drstalker00

Question

I have maybe 300 hours on the game and am mastery rank 14 but I feel I'm missing some crucial information or something.  I always have the least amount of damage and the least amount of kills no matter who I pair up with or even in random games. So, what am I doing wrong?  I have several frames modded and built well and the appropriate weapons.  I am assuming it is my play style?  Any tips would be appreciated. I don't plan on giving up since I love this game, but I continue to disappoint myself whenever I play and It's kind of a bummer. I am also a girl gamer, but that shouldn't matter since I see a lot of op girls on here, too.  Tips anyone?  Or someone to help me see the light?  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, drstalker00 said:

I have maybe 300 hours on the game and am mastery rank 14 but I feel I'm missing some crucial information or something.  I always have the least amount of damage and the least amount of kills no matter who I pair up with or even in random games. So, what am I doing wrong?  I have several frames modded and built well and the appropriate weapons.  I am assuming it is my play style?  Any tips would be appreciated. I don't plan on giving up since I love this game, but I continue to disappoint myself whenever I play and It's kind of a bummer. I am also a girl gamer, but that shouldn't matter since I see a lot of op girls on here, too.  Tips anyone?  Or someone to help me see the light?  Thanks.

Add me in game.

Also, please post some of your builds.  It's hard to tell what the "issue" might be without some stats. 

Are you tailoring your builds to the factions?

20 minutes ago, drstalker00 said:

Tips anyone?  Or someone to help me see the light?  Thanks.

Basically, the reason you may not be killing as fast or as efficiently as some player is because they are modded to the peak effectiveness against a specific faction, running around with Ember or Equinox in a low level Exterminate, and your modding may be generalized and not fine-tuned.

It could also depend on how you play specifically. The way I play is about the same as any other veteran. Get some weapons you have fun with, polarize them with Forma and get them to peak efficiency, and then mod them against specific factions. Run in with guns, clear out what you can, and when they start swarming, you start swinging your Melee.

That's basically it.
But it really depends on how you play (aggressive, defensive, or support.), and how you use your mods, weapons and Warframe abilities to synergize with each other and your team. Can't really give you any answers unless we see how you mod your weapons or Warframes. (Because that's basically what it comes down to, that and how you use them of course.)

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

9 minutes ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

peak effectiveness against a specific faction,

You dont need to mod for factions to be effective. Most of the time I go with the same build for all of them - corrosive, only on +shield corpus sorties I go with toxin. And I tend to be very effective. Maybe its coz of my playstyle, I tend to use Nova a lot for her AMD and I usualy use weapons that shoot slowly but deal insane damage, like Opticor, Ferrox and now Lenz.

My points it that it mostly depends on playstyle. Full build is important but peak effective is only doing little more than if you stick to one build full time.

Edited by Xardis

Just now, Xardis said:

You dont need to mod for factions to be effective. Most of the time I go with the same build for all of them - corrosive, only on +shield corpus sorties I go with toxin. And I tend to be very effective. Maybe its coz of my playstyle, I tend to use Nova a lot for her AMD and I usualy use weapons that shoot slowly but deal insane damage, like Opticor, Ferrox and now Lenz.

When you're dealing that much damage it really doesn't matter if you get a small bonus against shields/health or armor. Which is why I mentioned Warframe and Weapon synergies.

5 minutes ago, Xardis said:

My points it that it mostly depends on playstyle. Full build is important but peak effective is only doing little more than if you stick to one build full time.

True, but not all players are at a point where they can bring enough damage to make tailoring pointless.  If OP is at 300 hours, I doubt she has the mods or the Endo for the mods, to be able to bring the hurt like you or I can.

Because you do need to git gud at this game to play it...

Warframe is a tactical game period. It doesn't matter who has been the big boy in the team. It matters that the objective is done in the most efficient ways. You play this how you want and that's the beauty of it. Other than that, it's just a matter of aim at this point (how bad can it be to point this out? Well, one day someone kindly asked me to trade kills in conclave ofc, BUT he was so unable to aim that even when I was being a statue he would've kept missing).

Also, I don't see why you need to be so sexist :/ It's not like girls can't play. That's just a meme, come on

Edited by Asdryu

11 minutes ago, Asdryu said:

Because you do need to git gud at this game to play it.

You absolutely don't. It's not punishing Demon souls or Bloodborne, it's not pvp Overwatch or Dota/For honor/whatever where your actual skill comes into play. Its not even Destiny where you're barely able to use your abilities and can fail a mission simply if you will die in a certain place.

The scrubbiest person in the universe can play it and score high kills as long as he knows how to simply mod weapons and frames (and don't compete with other dps on the same team because if it consists of Mesa,Excal and Equinox you won't kill much no matter what you're playing) and don't try to yolo it with inappropriate frames. It's a casual pve coop game. You don't need to  be 'gud' to achieve anything there.

Edited by -Temp0-

33 minutes ago, drstalker00 said:

Just some advice: never measure your worth by the amount of damage done or number of kills. Depending on the frame you play and the role you take on in the team, so long as you help to successfully complete the objective, you should be proud of whatever contributions you make.

And, I can't stress this enough, so long as you're having fun with whatever frames or weapons you use, that is all that matters. The kill count and damage output will come as you play more and learn new tricks and skills (and acquire more top tier mods). But the key thing is to have fun and not let numbers dictate anything.

FYI you don't always need to do damage/kills in order to be the most effective in a mission.

Spy/Rescue/Hijack/Sabotage, hell, even Mobile Defense or interception. True masters complete these without firing a single shot. (well completes or cheeses, depends on the source)

36 minutes ago, drstalker00 said:

it depends on how your playing if you need assistance i can guide on the basics of combat variety or tactics, but that Dependant on what your using 

Ok, so I have all the frames, 4-5 prime, except: Inaros, Octavia, Atlas, Chroma, Harrow, Mesa, Mag, Nidus...I'm a few parts away from Atlas and Nidus, and 500 kuva away from Octavia.  I usually refer to Distant Observer or Life of Rio for my warframe builds. I use a Braton Prime as my primary go-to, as secondary, I use a Pandero.  Melee is usually NIkana Prime. Several frames still need reactors on them, a few have been formaed twice, mainly Excaliber and Nekros prime. Those are probably my favorite frames. I don't tailor to faction, yet. All this takes a lot of plat and time. . .I think it's pointing to play style. I tend to be aggressive or mostly pell mell....whatever you would call that particular brand of weirdness.  ;)

I'd just like to say that numbers don't always mean anything.

Like the number of kills. If you're playing Trinity and healing/energizing the squad, then I don't care if you don't get a single kill. Maybe you can run a Spy vault in 10 seconds flat without triggering the alarms (you'd be my hero lol), so who cares if your damage is low for the mods you need to do the vault? It comes down more to the question: "Are you a helpful addition to the squad?". If no one is complaining, then yes, you are. (Even if they are complaining, you still are probably doing well. There are just some people that are never happy.)

While asking for tips is always a good thing, take it all with a grain of salt. What works for some, may not work for others.

My main advice is to find a clan/squad that are decent people and run with them selectively. At least for a time. Let them give you advice,or (more likely) good natured criticism. Let them say how they think you could do better to patch up any holes you may have in tactics.

It's all relative, there will always be someone with more damage / kills in a multi-player mission.  Try to gauge your own competency as a player by doing solo missions and see if you can hold your own ground; if you do you would have nothing to worry about, if not at least you can identify your weakness and improve from there.

If all else fails just do low level earth missions with a bunch of MR 2s and 3s, I doubt you'll have trouble out damaging them...

30 minutes ago, drstalker00 said:

Ok, so I have all the frames, 4-5 prime, except: Inaros, Octavia, Atlas, Chroma, Harrow, Mesa, Mag, Nidus...I'm a few parts away from Atlas and Nidus, and 500 kuva away from Octavia.  I usually refer to Distant Observer or Life of Rio for my warframe builds. I use a Braton Prime as my primary go-to, as secondary, I use a Pandero.  Melee is usually NIkana Prime. Several frames still need reactors on them, a few have been formaed twice, mainly Excaliber and Nekros prime. Those are probably my favorite frames. I don't tailor to faction, yet. All this takes a lot of plat and time. . .I think it's pointing to play style. I tend to be aggressive or mostly pell mell....whatever you would call that particular brand of weirdness.  ;)

But what mods do you put on them?

Just to say, I was a little embarrassed to post this topic since I'm really just here to have fun and well....it's hard to admit when you suck at something.  I generally play with a guy friend most nights but he always has double the kills. I also play alone a lot, too.   I tend to lag behind with both him and random alert missions. I have some trouble with the parkour, typically with long jumps that probably require double jumping.  I am a good team player, I always help revive and help out but also can be kind of a loner sometimes in-game. I do the sorties every day and a lot of survival and void fissures.  

As someone who has thousands of hours, and regularly does raids, many-hour long endless missions, etc I can confidently say I often do not have highest damage, and am usually considered (by myself and others, I'm only like 80% full of myself) to be the "best" player in the squad. The goal of most missions is not damage dealt.

In exterminate, it more or less is, to be fair. Just slap on an ember or equinox and run through for maximum effectiveness (assuming your goal is efficient completion, as I and most ppl I know don't do these for fun).

In capture, rescue, sabotage, normally I'd just go volt or nezha to get it done as fast as possible. I only need 1 kill in the first mode, otherwise killing just means I'm taking longer than i need to.

In spy I normally run invis frames in grineer for ease of completion so I don't have to wait for drones to move. In corpus I run banshee if i do need to shoot something (since it'll silence my weapons), and use the first ability to clear cameras quickly. In lua i use invis for one of the 3 vaults because it's the fastest way, but has drones.

In mobile defense, I normally bring frost and just kill for fun till it's done, then move on. Or if it is low level (basically not a sortie), just a volt because speed.
In normal defense, I run a kill frame (RQ banshee or WoF ember, usually) on lower levels, and frost on higher levels. However, for endless missions, I actually will play with a team and we'll get a squad together. Since we normally go for 100 or so waves, we bring an EV trin for dmg/energy/heals, frost because we're not dumb, a sonar banshee (normally me), and 1 kill frame to make the early levels go fast. often peacemaker mesa. works well, and since you're concerned about damage with sonar everyone can kill stuff for most of the mission. EV trin normally ends up with most dmg though since by level 1500 normal weapons don't do that much damage.

In survival, we run whatever we want. I usually just bring a CC or supportive frame, and snipe because I love gunplay. I often still have the most damage, and more or less never below 25%. 

If you want to get some help from me and the ppl I play with, we'd love to help (applies to anyone), just shoot me a msg and I can add you to the discord we hang out in. Hopefully you like raids and endless defenses/survivals. Cause that's 99% of what we do.

46 minutes ago, drstalker00 said:

I can assist you in playing Harrow and Mag.  the others I don't play enough to have good input for you. 

15 minutes ago, drstalker00 said:

Just to say, I was a little embarrassed to post this topic since I'm really just here to have fun and well....it's hard to admit when you suck at something.  I generally play with a guy friend most nights but he always has double the kills. I also play alone a lot, too.   I tend to lag behind with both him and random alert missions. I have some trouble with the parkour, typically with long jumps that probably require double jumping.  I am a good team player, I always help revive and help out but also can be kind of a loner sometimes in-game. I do the sorties every day and a lot of survival and void fissures.  

Sounds like to you play a lot like I do.  I wouldn't worry about kill rate/damage as that will just come with time. As well as parkour skill.  Took me awhile to get good at that myself.  :D

Just as MagPrime offered, Add me in-game also.  I might have to mods that can help you or just advice to help you tailor your builds to how you play.

Well, you said you're an aggressive type of player and your mains are Nekros and Excalibur. Excalibur is definitely more active if you want that.

BUT! If you want to be top damage... Learn to use Saryn or Equinox <.< Definitely Equinox (Oh and don't forget Trinity's Energy Vampire for level 60+ enemies). 

Edited by Asdryu